Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Drumpot wrote: »
    Glazers out and Woodward our are two completely different things. The owners would be willing to sack (pay him more and move him around) Woodward if there was enough protests and it appeased fans.

I never said it would resolve the problem, but it bloodies their nose and forces the owners to make a decision they clearly don’t want to make by sacking him. The fans have never forced the glazers to do anything so maybe them having to take action for once could be a catalyst for a sale or a Change. Boxers losing their first fight can be stunned and forced to rethink their strategy. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Appeased fans? Glazers? Nah, nonsense. Only way it happens is if they start earning less out of the club somehow.

The share sale with no voting rights, not too hard to think it was an Ed idea. He masterminded the leveraged takeover afterall.

If they, as you say, move him around, it will still be to an absolute senior position. It will be nothing more than a change in title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

To have a striker with even a quarter of Lewandowski's instincts would be amazing.

Rashford and his raised-by-Fifa instincts is killing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Fair point.
    But the cynic in me says making change for "change's sake" will achieve very little. If they are pushed into making a change by very public fan protest, most likely they will panic and install just another Ed-type, while ridding themselves of the perceived toxic Woodward personality.

I'm not a keen follower of American sports. But from the research I've done I can see Tampa Bay have been stagnating for a long time under Glazer ownership....about a decade.
    During this time they've hired and fired several GMs (a fairly similar role to Woodward's as regards overseeing player recruitment). Without much improvement.

It's a nice thought that firing Woodward will significantly improve things.

I just don't find it to be a particularly convincing argument.

Ha, I actually posted about the Bucks a while ago In here..

I know Woodward getting sacked could very well be just one stooge for another but at this stage I will take any change over nothing, even if it’s just moving the deck chairs around.

I’m so sick of the owners, if United finish mid table or below 8th (essentially if Ole is not going to work out) I hope Liverpool win the league and city the champions league to send fans over the edge. I don’t see anything changing unless there is some sort of massive backlash or response from fans. I know it’s kind of crazy but I’m happy for things to go to sh*te if it forces them to start running the club better , with proper footballing strategy at the core of their ethos.

One different from united and NFL is that an NFL team cannot be relegated and has a chance of getting top players through the draft even if they are terrible. Soccer is a differnt beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Ha, I actually posted about the Bucks a while ago In here..

I know Woodward getting sacked could very well be just one stooge for another but at this stage I will take any change over nothing, even if it’s just moving the deck chairs around.

I’m so sick of the owners, if United finish mid table or below 8th (essentially if Ole is not going to work out) I hope Liverpool win the league and city the champions league to send fans over the edge. I don’t see anything changing unless there is some sort of massive backlash or response from fans. I know it’s kind of crazy but I’m happy for things to go to sh*te if it forces them to start running the club better , with proper footballing strategy at the core of their ethos.

One different from united and NFL is that an NFL team cannot be relegated and has a chance of getting top players through the draft even if they are terrible. Soccer is a differnt beast.

Speaking of nfl, they sure know how to run the bucs, 11 seasons of not making the playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I can't go along with you on Liverpool winning the league!! I can see your angle.... but No. Just No. :eek:

It's a difficult thing to admit. But I honestly believe a couple of 8th place/mid table finishes will be to the benefit of the club in the long run.

It's an old cliche but it's true - things need to get worse before they can get any better.

If the Glazer's ever sold the club, is the debt stuck with us still?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hococop wrote: »
    If the Glazer's ever sold the club, is the debt stuck with us still?

Our new Saudi overlords would probably make sure it wasn’t an issue quickly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Poch will be available soon for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

“you can tell the club is owned by the glazers with a cake like this”

45-E35849-53-FF-4138-9-A88-BECCD511-E8-DA.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

“you can tell the club is owned by the glazers with a cake like this”

Thought they would have glazed it rather than iced it.

Hococop wrote: »
    Speaking of nfl, they sure know how to run the bucs, 11 seasons of not making the playoffs

Yeh, I rememeber reading about one coach they sacked , sounded very similar to how things ended up with Jose is I recall correctly!!

10 Months ago I Posted

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108803145&postcount=6377

———————————————————

For those who think the owners play little to no role in the clubs/teams demise

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...-always-worse/

Say what you want about the Glazers, who are clearly a root cause of the Bucs' slide toward nothingness over the past 11 seasons.

But the Glazers can step aside this weekend, comforted by the fact that there is someone worse.

And here’s a blog from a Bucs fan. Could almost be talking about united and it’s players and manager.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/11/1...l-dirk-koetter

Sitting at 3-6 with no apparent answers, this team looks like it’s headed for a total rebuild - yet again.

For a team as talented as the Bucs, this is a major disappointment. The entire season was basically encapsulated last week against the Redskins. Over 500 yards of total offense, but four turnovers and just three points were amassed during what should’ve been a big win at home.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the bad qualities/habits this team possesses.

The defense is also the worst in the league and at one point was on pace to become the worst in NFL history.

These are all issues that have plagued this team since the beginning of Koetter’s tenure.

The right pieces were in place. This team finally had a franchise quarterback for the first time in its painful history. Everything was supposed to come to fruition under Koetter, one of the league’s better offensive minds.

After three years, the truth of the matter is that barring a miracle, Koetter and the majority of the staff are gone.

The Bucs will likely be on the hunt for it’s fifth head coach, third general manager, and seventh starting quarterback since 2010 after the season.

ThIs type of turnover - especially at the top - is nowhere near the recipe for success and if the Glazers or any other owner in the NFL is telling themselves the opposite, then they are in fact lying to themselves, their employees, and their fans.

Who wants to sit through more seasons of questions, potential promises, and empty predictions when there is a roster - if used correctly - that can represent a competitive team?

The thought of another complete rebuild is not only mundane and frustrating, but it’s simply tiresome at this point. When will this franchise get its act together? Will there ever be a winning culture ever again?

Only time can answer those questions. Unfortunately for the Bucs, it looks as if they will have plenty of time this offseason to figure it out.

Two clubs owned by the same Owners with extremely similar issues. That’s no coincidence.

Looks like Bucs fans also thought a more offensive coach would get more out of the squad. Where have I heard that? It’s actually frightening how many similarities there are between the two clubs!

Can’t get over how things have progressed since I posted that.... absolutely no surprises but we should trust in this rebuild because things have changed? Not a chance....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I had spotted those lack of runs and it's a real problem if Martial can't get back into the team and play himself into form.

He probably should not have taken the extra touch with the chance he had when Pogba put him through. It was by no means a clear cut chance though, regardless of which option he took.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fabrizio Romano: Massimiliano Allegri learning English as he targets Manchester United job

I find this a little bemusing, a lot of United fans had real hatred for Jose Mourinho and his type of football. And there were a lot more, who couldnt stand watching LVG's possession first football.

But its Ed Woodward and it wouldnt surprise me if Allegri was the next manager

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

adox wrote: »
    Honestly I would say no one. Most accepted that it was the end of an era and we may have to settle for a couple of seasons of CL football when the club regrouped and found its new identity before challenging again but mis management at the top level has put the club into a tail spin of epic proportions. The warning signs were there so early on with the first couple of transfer fiascos. It was an embarrassment to the club but it was put down to Woodward and his cronies being new to it and they would learn.

Woodward’s name is stamped all over this period for the club. Some may see it as simplistic just to blame him in isolation for this, and it most certainly is, but he is the one new common denominator in all of this. He carries a huge huge part of the blame.

The fact that he is being aloud to continue to wield such power at the club and his position hasn’t been tweaked at all to concentrate solely on the financial side of things tells you all you need to know about the current owners.

It’s an absolute mess. The squad is a mess. The manager is out of his depth. The recruitment is a mess. The football is a mess. There is no vision for the club. There is no forward thinking. We aren’t seeing a rebuild. We are seeing more book balancing.

I feel sorry for Ole. He’s a hero at the club and seems like a good honest guy but he’s already been swallowed by the machine and is the public face for the shambles that is happening before our very eyes.
    He’s out of his depth though. The performances and results have been shocking for a long time. He shouldn’t get a free ride because of all the above I’ve outlined. He has to held responsible for what he does and doesn’t do.

His times up already. I’d say he knows it too. It is, as usual how long it takes to play out. My best guess would be early next year.

Of course people will say you can’t keep firing managers, nothing will ultimately change but the manager has to be held accountable for his performance (as should the players). I personally think that just because things are broken from the top at the club that having apathy about the mangers position because of it is not the road to go down and ultimately more damaging.

Th8ngs can change quickly in football but it’s a very long road back for Utd. It can’t begin properly until the owners are gone and Woodward as well, but there has to be some sort of accountability within the club for the rest of the employees. For there to be none would damage the club even further.

It’s bleak. Really bleak imo.

Good post. Many have been saying Woodward is the common denominator for a long time and his tenure has been absolute failure, which it has. History wont be kind to him thats for sure.

But for many, the simplicity of blaming and changing manager is the way to go...

• Advertisement

Sanchez saying he’s enjoying himself at Inter. That’s not surprising considering he is hallanging for the serie A title versus mid table obscurity with United.

That’s the reality for united players. However we feel they about players under performing , they have to deal with their own ambitions and playing for a club whose fans expect much bigger things then they themselves probably believe possible.

• xtal191 wrote: »
    I'm blue in the face saying it.
    Never in the six yard box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Marketing is their mine and a fan revolt against Woodward could force them to act.

Very wishful thinking.
    Since the profits have kept rolling in they don’t care if he’s any good at his job.

He's very good at his job, i.e. the role the Glazers gave him - just not the role you or I wish he was hired to perform.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Obviously they won't care the way a fan would but they will have expectations of results and performance on the field.

They care about it to the extent that it reduces their profits.

If investment* required for success** > reduced profits from failure, then failure is fine.

* "investment" meaning allowing the club to SPEND IT'S OWN FECKING MONEY :mad:

** however "success" is defined - probably no more than top 4.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Watching Gnabry hurtling through one-on-one last night vs. Spurs was a reminder that it's not the norm for an attacking player to slip and fall over when through on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Let’s be honest, Rashford isn’t good enough. He’s got 1 goal from play in 8 games, that’s embarrassing. Whether he will be good enough in 3/4 years is no use to us now.

There isn’t a club in the country that would have given Rashford the money we have, I’d love to know how those negotiations went. Typically you say you can get X elsewhere so the club need to match it, Rashford’s agent said he can get 100k elsewhere, but he would really really like 250k a week, and Woodward said done deal. City might have taken him on to spite us but he wouldn’t have got near the first team for years or the wages Mx

And this isn’t “picking on” Rashford or Rashford is the “new Pogba”, it’s the realisation with every passing game that he is bottom of the table standard and he will need to be replaced in the first XI, which means we’ll have a 20 year old earning 250k a week sitting on the bench for the next 4 years.

Now Pogba & Martial are the other 2/3rds of the reason our attack is mainly shít, but they are separate arguments for another day. Our attack needs 2/3 top players that will cost us 200-300 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just watched highlights of Rashfords debut in europa league and Premier League. Where scored twice in both games.

He was making runs you want a striker to make. Finding space between the 2 cbs.

You'd wonder why hes not doing it anymore.

Let’s be honest, Rashford isn’t good enough. He’s got 1 goal from play in 8 games, that’s embarrassing. Whether he will be good enough in 3/4 years is no use to us now.

There isn’t a club in the country that would have given Rashford the money we have, I’d love to know how those negotiations went. Typically you say you can get X elsewhere so the club need to match it, Rashford’s agent said he can get 100k elsewhere, but he would really really like 250k a week, and Woodward said done deal. City might have taken him on to spite us but he wouldn’t have got near the first team for years or the wages Mx

And this isn’t “picking on” Rashford or Rashford is the “new Pogba”, it’s the realisation with every passing game that he is bottom of the table standard and he will need to be replaced in the first XI, which means we’ll have a 20 year old earning 250k a week sitting on the bench for the next 4 years.

Now Pogba & Martial are the other 2/3rds of the reason our attack is mainly shít, but they are separate arguments for another day. Our attack needs 2/3 top players that will cost us 200-300 million.

I think your final sentence actually explains why the owners are willing to give martial and rashford massive contracts. It also explains why Pogba could get some world record contract. It’s cheaper then splashing out huge money on replacements. So the coach has to make them the starting forwards when they Should be no more then back ups who can be taken out of the team if it’s best for them and the team.

I wonder does Avram play fifa career mode, cause that would explain why he still thinks Martial and Rashford will grow into world class players.

But to beat the same drum again, the problem isn’t so much these players don’t have the potential to be class, it’s that the United setup is not conductive to helping them Thrive. There is no top class experienced players That they can relate to, no obvious character within the squad and they are expected to reach some ridiculous soundbite crap standards “this is Manchester United , it’s massive” that the owners themselves don’t even care to try and meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So is Pogba really injured or is he phoning it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

FitzShane wrote: »
    So is Pogba really injured or is he phoning it in?

:confused: hes played the last 2 matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Just watched highlights of Rashfords debut in europa league and Premier League. Where scored twice in both games.

He was making runs you want a striker to make. Finding space between the 2 cbs.

You'd wonder why hes not doing it anymore.

Hard to make those runs when your pockets are full of cash.

Glazers Out!

• nullzero wrote: »
    Hard to make those runs when your pockets are full of cash.

giphy.gif

Trigger wrote: »
    :confused: hes played the last 2 matches

You obviously didn't see where he was left out of the AZ squad, citing a foot injury in August as the reason.

You obviously didn't see where he was left out of the AZ squad, citing a foot injury in August as the reason.

So that he can play the weekend.. he played on Thursday and then Monday.. if he was phoning it in he wouldn't be playing at all.

So that he can play the weekend.. he played on Thursday and then Monday.. if he was phoning it in he wouldn't be playing at all.

so I take it he will be fit again for Sunday then?
    "requires a period of further rest and conservative treatment for the foot injury"
    To me it sounds like he just couldn't be arsed making the trip anyways. Sounds more like he doesn't want to play, rather than an actual injury.

so I take it he will be fit again for Sunday then?

More than likely yeah, they were never going to play him and have him playing Thur/Mon/Thur/Sun

Seen your Edit there: I'm not and never have been Pogba's biggest fan, but the fact is he has played thru an injury the last 2 matches(even though he hasnt been the best,he still did that), a match in the Europa league group stages is the ideal time to rest him and give others game time just in case they are needed if he aggravates it further

• Advertisement

People will find any reasons to find an issue with Pogba, and I'm saying that as someone whos not his biggest fan either.

More than likely yeah, they were never going to play him and have him playing Thur/Mon/Thur/Sun

Seen your Edit there: I'm not and never have been Pogba's biggest fan, but the fact is he has played thru an injury the last 2 matches(even though he hasnt been the best,he still did that), a match in the Europa league group stages is the ideal time to rest him and give others game time just in case they are needed if he aggravates it further

Playing through an injury, I did not know about to be honest, I just assumed he was back from injury.

If he needed a break from playing, then let him travel and sit on the bench.

With all the baggage that comes with him and wanting to leave during the summer, and the current malaise of United not doing too well now, this just gives off a bit of a stink to me anyways. Is it fair to assume that he thinks he is above Europe League group stage matches and he thinks he should be Champions League only?

Leaving him out of the squad and giving the reason as a foot injury from August, even though he played the last 2 games and not a re-occurrence of the injury, it just doesn't seem right to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Stop neither of them was ever gonna come United.

Right, but your premise that there was not a single striker out there of the calibre required and willing to come to the club is ridiculous so you were likely going to have to shoot down anybody who gave you a genuine response.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pogba is our only creative threat from midfield in the squad. Perhaps it's not a case of him picking and choosing his games and more the penny finally dropping with Ole that this is a small squad in several areas that will need to have their minutes managed if they're to last the season.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fabrizio Romano: Massimiliano Allegri learning English as he targets Manchester United job

Probably end up at Spurs when Poch is sacked/leaves, wouldn't be surprised if Poch is Madrid manager before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't AZ have an artificial pitch? Gonna be fun watching more players injure themselves on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

xtal191 wrote: »
    Probably end up at Spurs when Poch is sacked/leaves, wouldn't be surprised if Poch is Madrid manager before Christmas

:pac:

Don't AZ have an artificial pitch? Gonna be fun watching more players injure themselves on that.

Playing on an artificial one elsewhere as half their stadium collapsed a few months back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lukaku of course became the scapegoat as soon as Fellaini was sold off and some fans shifted to another target.

Lukaku said as much himself, Inter are a far more ambitious club / project for players.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I can't go along with you on Liverpool winning the league!! I can see your angle.... but No. Just No. :eek:

It's imminent, you should start coming to terms with it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

beno619 wrote: »
    It's imminent, you should start coming to terms with it now.

The stars are aligning, they field ineligible players in cup games which they win, instead of expulsion, it’s only a fine..., in what universe is that ok.... you’d have ‘the pool’ fans gnawing at their rosary beads if that was United....

This Alexis fella looks alright for Inter. Decent delivery on him too.

Inter in general continuing on their great form from the league, should be 3 up at this point away to Barca!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

This Alexis fella looks alright for Inter. Decent delivery on him too.

Inter in general continuing on their great form from the league, should be 3 up at this point away to Barca!

Almost scored a goal of the season contender a couple of minutes ago. They look class under Conte.

Almost scored a goal of the season contender a couple of minutes ago. They look class under Conte.

Tactics are spot on tonight alright.

Should have scored again a minute ago, Sanchez header.

• Advertisement

Would've loved Conte as our manager

xtal191 wrote: »
    Would've loved Conte as our manager

Yeah I was disappointed when Chelsea got him instead of us and on record as saying so at the time but can't see him being too eager to come back to England now and he looks to be building something at inter

Great goal, inter left to rue alllllll of the missed opportunities

Why did it fall apart for Conte at Chelsea in the end?

Conte, and inter will be absolutely sickened tonight. So many wasted opportunities and they get turned over in the end!

Should have been out of sight so many times in the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement