Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Liam O wrote: »
    The lack of intensity and sheer will is a baffling one really. I mean these are people who've overcome every obstacle to be a professional footballer, let alone playing for United and they slowly pass the ball around like it doesn't matter if they win or lose. Why isn't it tearing at their insides or has the money just corrupted them?

We seem to have this magical ability to break players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Feels like it's been a while since there was a solid "Jose bad man" back and forth. Great skimming this morning.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

kerplun k wrote: »
    Forget age, I'm talking about legacy, Apart from Lindelof, which one of these has gone onto becoming a regular in our team? Everyone of these stopped playing for him. He signed the wrong players, that gave him immediate "success" (If you want to call it that), but the players he signed left a lasting legacy of players that wanted to cash in and cash out of the club, or are just deadwood now at our club.

When your signing mercenaries you have to realise they only play when it suits them.

When Jose got the axe suddenly these players all upped it big time to show that it was Jose and not the players. As soon as Ole got the gig full time they downed tools again.

Watch any of these lads in there last year of their contract put in some great performances. As soon as they get the new 5 year contract they'll down tools again. They're only motivated by ego and money!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

When your signing mercenaries you have to realise they only play when it suits them.

When Jose got the axe suddenly these players all upped it big time to show that it was Jose and not the players. As soon as Ole got the gig full time they downed tools again.

Watch any of these lads in there last year of their contract put in some great performances. As soon as they get the new 5 year contract they'll down tools again. They're only motivated by ego and money!!

I couldn't agree more.
    On another note, I think Michael Owen of all people sums up our current situation quite well here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

From reports, it was Ole that turned down the Dybala deal.
    Jose is not one to shy away from conflict, if he had no input on the players and wages signed under his leadership, he'd be talking about it.
    The only criticism I'm hearing from Jose now, is Eds decision not to sign him on CB (maguire), which he's absolutely right to complain about.

In regards to Ole, I genuinely believes that he thinks he's in charge. he had it in his head that he wants to change the philosophy of the club. He's being manipulated by Ed and the board, because it's cheap. But I honestly do believe that he thinks this is all his idea.

From what i remember it was image rights being one of the main stumbling blocks. Add in that it seems to take months for Ed and pals to negotiate deals, i would have been very surprised at them getting a major one like Dybala done is literally a few days. The Ole rethoric i think helps save some public face after such media coverage of the proposed move. I would also fathom that Dybala really didn't want to come and was stalling on the move in the hope of another club coming in.

Again, Mourinho alluded to the fact a number of times about being unhappy with transfer dealings. When asked in August(i believe) about the lack of transfer activity, he said he gave the Chairman a lsit of players in April. I think it's quite clear the parties weren't singing off the same hymn sheet, and there is only so much public vocalising a manager can say. Jose knows that the press label him a moaner, so one might think that vocalising it only adds to that perception. I think when his non-disclosure is over, we will hear a lot more.

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree more.
    On another note, I think Michael Owen of all people sums up our current situation quite well here.

Big bucks Ed flashing the cash on mediocrity has attracted the leeches and agents looking to get rich on the back of the club.

There was a reason why Fergie would regularly say there's no value in the transfer market. It was a message to the football world that we won't be bent over a barrel when it comes to price.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The problem for me is fairly simple.

No goal scorer which will hopefully be addressed at Christmas and backup addressed in summer.

No movement in front of the defensive midfield. There was an old Liverpool song called pass and move. We seem to have players who pass and stand or pass and run into a place where nobody can see you. There is a lack of pace and sharpness in this position, people reacting too late or lacking effort.

The dms could do with some upgrading too. Too many players limping along injured all the time as well being breast fed by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Forget age, I'm talking about legacy, Apart from Lindelof, which one of these has gone onto becoming a regular in our team? Everyone of these stopped playing for him. He signed the wrong players, that gave him immediate "success" (If you want to call it that), but the players he signed left a lasting legacy of players that wanted to cash in and cash out of the club, or are just deadwood now at our club.

Glad someone is looking after the moving goalposts. They were feeling neglected the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From reports, it was Ole that turned down the Dybala deal.

It was the cost of his image rights and agents fees. The same reason his move to Spurs collapsed.

BDI wrote: »
    The problem for me is fairly simple.

No goal scorer which will hopefully be addressed at Christmas and backup addressed in summer.

No movement in front of the defensive midfield. There was an old Liverpool song called pass and move. We seem to have players who pass and stand or pass and run into a place where nobody can see you. There is a lack of pace and sharpness in this position, people reacting too late or lacking effort.

The dms could do with some upgrading too. Too many players limping along injured all the time as well being breast fed by the club.

Ole stated last week, or the week before, that the right players weren't available during the summer. Do you think that 4 months later they will have identified the "right" players? I'm not very confident at all. Would it also not concern you that a first half of season where we struggled to perform will have us as an even less attractive proposition to players that will be able to perform to the level we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Gonna say this and not sure what way I feel about it, I think it's safe to say all this protesting and online outrage won't change the Glazer's or Ed's attitude, you are not gonna stop fans attending game, ( probably a good few would not go but if imagine still 50k+ would still end up at a game, Ed won't leave on his own accord and United legends won't dare point the finger at him or the Glazer's as they would love to get a cushy job there.

Do fans need to get a bit more extreme or is that jumping the shark all together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Feels like it's been a while since there was a solid "Jose bad man" back and forth. Great skimming this morning.

I did wonder why there has been so much effort to explain an argument that can already be summed up in just 3 words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If i were to look at Chelsea, I would draw similarities in our club positions and our dependence on youth.

Yet I look at Chelsea, despite their opening game and they're hungry, inventive and full of work, pretty much the opposite of us. Something is not right at the club and it won't be fixed by replacing Ole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What about jose was short term, outside of matic and zlatan?

His career was always relatively short stints at clubs so he never thought long term and imo would happily discard a player that did not suit his short term goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If i were to look at Chelsea, I would draw similarities in our club positions and our dependence on youth.

Yet I look at Chelsea, despite their opening game and they're hungry, inventive and full of work, pretty much the opposite of us. Something is not right at the club and it won't be fixed by replacing Ole.

Chelsea squads can nearly win league and cup doubles with Avram Grant. Can win champions leagues with Robbie Di Matteo (very comparable with Ole). New managers coming into chelsea dont require massive squad rebuilds, indeed a couple have won leagues within 12-24 months of taking office. Why is that ?

Why do we fans act like mushrooms and eat up the sh*t the club dishes us . . Rebuild. . Youth . . Exciting football. Stop f**king talking about it and just do it. Chelsea do it regularly and change managers regularly and dont have to reinvent themselves, why do united ?

• Drumpot wrote: »
    Chelsea squads can nearly win league and cup doubles with Avram Grant. Can win champions leagues with Robbie Di Matteo (very comparable with Ole). New managers coming into chelsea dont require massive squad rebuilds, indeed a couple have won leagues within 12-24 months of taking office. Why is that ?

Why do we fans act like mushrooms and eat up the sh*t the club dishes us . . Rebuild. . Youth . . Exciting football. Stop f**king talking about it and just do it. Chelsea do it regularly and change managers regularly and dont have to reinvent themselves, why do united ?

What a great statement. Should be pinned

Nuts102 wrote: »
    United won a European trophy and finished second under Mourinho

He worked miracles to be honest we won't see a trophy for a long time

He was probably a bad appointment because his ability kept us from seeing just how bad the squad is and now we are a mid table team

Nowhere near a league or champions league, not all his own fault. When he left look what he left behind as evidence it was a bad appointment. Don't mistake my point that Jose was wrong guy as me saying Jose = bad.

He was not the right man for the group of players United had at the time he took over. He would have got a season or two out of the group SAF left behind. Once Van Gaal started change Jose took on a team unlike one he would ever have put together. The club did not want him to cast likes of Martial aside. So he had to try and make use of players like him but it hampered Jose's goal. He needed to get his own players in but if that is what he needed to do why bring Jose in at all if the club thought a Martial or Shaw must stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ah yes, Jose's is a hot topic once again.

Many hilarious comments over the last ten or so pages, some classics like "he's what we needed" and old reliable "2nd was his greatest achievement" (19 points of City when other teams collapsed on the run in) the latter one is particularly good as it highlights his best point and ignores the car crash that followed.

Its always funny when people ask "where are the Jose ban man crowd now?" and "If Ole got us second", "the same people now defending Ole" etc etc, are always going out of there way to cause a clear division in the thread. Either your with Jose or you not. Do you realize you can not like Jose and not like Ole, you don't have to pick.

Some of the logic is even funnier, Ole has sold about 7 players, many that people wanted rid of so he is not working with the same squad Joe is and yes the football is poor and so is our league position, and many say Ole deserves to be sacked soon for this. Yet Jose after a colossal spend and more squad options had us playing terrible too yet he was "what we needed".

Another fact that's conveniently forgotten is Jose's finger prints are all over this squad. Fred, Matic and Pogba are regularly complained about, Fred and Matic alone cost 100m and Fred looks incapable or the most basic passing.

The mental gymnastics going on would make you laugh. "What we needed". his off the field antics included nvolve blaming an unfit Luke shaw for the team's tactical weaknesses, singling out Paul Pogba, bragging about his achievements from a previous decade, boasting that he had three Premier League titles to his name, while every other manager in the division had two between them - he conveniently waited for Arsène Wenger to leave Arsenal before bringing this one out.

What we needed. Utter nonsense. Ole may not be what we need but Jose had much more time and money to prove 100% he wasn't what we needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

its almost gotten to the stage were i just dont care as the misery of watching the team play never ends. There were horrendous times during moyes,LVG & Jose style wise i never thought would get beat but since chelsea its just been so mundane and literally no style of play detected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

18 goals in 20 games and 4 of them were in one game the football is awful

Rashford two goals from open play since January yet we get rid of Lukaku

Ole stated last week, or the week before, that the right players weren't available during the summer. Do you think that 4 months later they will have identified the "right" players? I'm not very confident at all. Would it also not concern you that a first half of season where we struggled to perform will have us as an even less attractive proposition to players that will be able to perform to the level we need.

Teams have contracts with players.

We don’t know who we are after apart from gossip.

Dybalas agent tried to pull a fast one as far as the story goes and was shot down.

We have to play hardball to stop people jacking up the price on us.

Another six months and players who had a club demanding outrageous Manchester United money are now six months closer to leaving for free.

We can’t be desperate to buy. The squad is a mess and nearly the whole squad isn’t good enough to be backup. We need to resign everyone apart from some of the back four, the goalkeeper and a few other players. The rest need selling and replacing. You can’t be running around desperate when you need to buy 10-15 players over the next 3 or 4 years. Every agent wanting 20 odd million each time.

Let Ole rebuild they drew their away European game with the kids. Fella at left back had a good game bless him.

Fred is not a premier league player never mind a united player. Dalot is nowhere near united level yet. Shaw is always injured and gets bigger every year, matic is past it, the kids up front need leadership, they won’t get it from j lingz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Many hilarious comments over the last ten or so pages, some classics like "he's what we needed" and old reliable "2nd was his greatest achievement" (19 points of City when other teams collapsed on the run in) the latter one is particularly good as it highlights his best point and ignores the car crash that followed.

Its always funny when people ask "where are the Jose ban man crowd now?" and "If Ole got us second", "the same people now defending Ole" etc etc, are always going out of there way to cause a clear division in the thread. Either your with Jose or you not. Do you realize you can not like Jose and not like Ole, you don't have to pick.

Some of the logic is even funnier, Ole has sold about 7 players, many that people wanted rid of so he is not working with the same squad Joe is and yes the football is poor and so is our league position, and many say Ole deserves to be sacked soon for this. Yet Jose after a colossal spend and more squad options had us playing terrible too yet he was "what we needed".

Another fact that's conveniently forgotten is Jose's finger prints are all over this squad. Fred, Matic and Pogba are regularly complained about, Fred and Matic alone cost 100m and Fred looks incapable or the most basic passing.

The mental gymnastics going on would make you laugh. "What we needed". his off the field antics included nvolve blaming an unfit Luke shaw for the team's tactical weaknesses, singling out Paul Pogba, bragging about his achievements from a previous decade, boasting that he had three Premier League titles to his name, while every other manager in the division had two between them - he conveniently waited for Arsène Wenger to leave Arsenal before bringing this one out.

What we needed. Utter nonsense. Ole may not be what we need but Jose had much more time and money to prove 100% he wasn't what we needed.

Cherry picking bits and pieces from what people have posted and cobbling them together to concoct an argument is not cool, bro. As for people trying to cause division, pot, meet mr kettle, hes black too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Liam O wrote: »
    Rashford was good when he came on and should have had a penalty awarded. I think people are being too harsh on him. He wasn't supposed to be the main striker this season and has now been thrust into it with Martial's injury. The team is disjointed and nobody looks good. The potential is there as the Chelsea game showed. Just need to be a bit smarter and get a bit of attacking confidence back. Well, and a couple of attackers signed.

He is one of the main striker's, there's no way martial was going to make it through a season without injury or loss of form.. He's being asked to step up and help and he simply isn't.

For me he hasn't looked right since the Liverpool game at OT last season where imo he got done by the Liverpool player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont get the recent retcons of Matic. I think Matic has been a great signing. He was immense when he joined and was exactly what we needed for years in the midfield.

The issue again is we can only do one deal at a time and takes about a month to do a deal. Matic was certainly a short term signing and was brilliant in that short term. The fact the club never bothered to really address that Matic would in fact age and then need replacing is the problem. City somehow managed to notice Fernandinho was actually aging so plumped for Rodri rather than just playing Fernandinho into the ground.

Actually I think all 3 of the "short term" senior signings Jose made did exactly what they came to do and did it very well. Matic (mentioned above), Ibrahimovic (he'd be a godsend again and take Rashford out of the firing line to try and rebuild his confidence) and Grant (he was never meant to play and would always have been lucky to make the senior bench but his whole signing was meant to facilitate the young keepers then getting regular gametime instead of waiting for a chance to make the seniors bench and all of Joel, Henderson, O'Hara have been able to move elsewhere to play week in week out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Brucey, Rashy, Youngy, Jamey, Fredy, Lingy
    Fierce annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Brucey, Rashy, Youngy, Jamey, Fredy, Lingy
    Fierce annoying

Chill out Aidy.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont get the recent retcons of Matic. I think Matic has been a great signing. He was immense when he joined amd was exactly what we needed for years in the midfield.

The issue again is we can only do one deal at a time and takes about a month to do a deal. Matic was certainly a short term signing and was brilliant in that short term. The fact the club never bothered to really address that Matic would in fact age and then need replacing is the problem. City somehow managed to notice Fernandinho was actually aging so plumped for Rodri rather than just playing Fernandinho into the ground.

Actually I think all 3 of the "short term" senior signings Jose made did exactly what they came to do and did it very well. Matic (mentioned above), Ibrahimovic (he'd be a godsend again and take Rashford out of the firing line to try and rebuild his confidence) and Grant (he was never meant to play and would always have been lucky to make the senior bench but his whole signing was meant to facilitate the young keepers then getting regular gametime instead of waiting for a chance to make the seniors bench and all of Joel, Henderson, O'Hara have been able to move elsewhere to play week in week out)

Retcon or recognition that Matic was good for a very short time?. He had a poor season overall last time (as did many) in what was only his second season. Utd only bought him in summer 17. I don't think he ever played well with Pogba. Was a poor signing overall based on his output. Fair to say club got it wrong. They also signed Fred and started last season with the (now) loved Herrera, the one season bought Matic, just bought Fred and 2 season bought Pogba.

Scary that with Pogba, Matic and Fred, all bought in a ahort time and it turned out to be a terrible selection as a group to play together.

Fernandinho is at City since 2013, is 34 and yes City were right to get another player in.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont get the recent retcons of Matic. I think Matic has been a great signing.

Really? Matic has been great?

Do you think he's 40 million great?

To me great signings have been Dea Gea, Cantona, Keane, Rooney, Ronald etc.

I can't see how Matic has been great, for me he was good when he arrived but his performances how been on a downward spinal since 12 months after he arrived. He only arrived 2 years ago but i'd say we'd be lucky to get 5 million for him now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Really? Matic has been great?

Do you think he's 40 million great?

To me great signings have been Dea Gea, Cantona, Keane, Rooney, Ronald etc.

I can't see how Matic has been great, for me he was good when he arrived but his performances how been on a downward spinal since 12 months after he arrived. He only arrived 2 years ago but i'd say we'd be lucky to get 5 million for him now.

Matic did the exact same at chelsea was great at the start but slowly went downhill

Conveniently forgetting Fergies, Moyes and LVG's finger prints over the squad he inherited........

Young, Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Fellaini, Depay, Schneiderlin, Rojo, Darmian, Lingard, Blind, Schweinsteiger, etc

Some of these still being complained about despite being there before Jose.

Something all very "Greta Thurnberg" about the above post.....lots of anger and emotion but not much valid points to back up that Jose was a disaster.

BDI wrote: »
    Teams have contracts with players.

We don’t know who we are after apart from gossip.

Dybalas agent tried to pull a fast one as far as the story goes and was shot down.

We have to play hardball to stop people jacking up the price on us.

Another six months and players who had a club demanding outrageous Manchester United money are now six months closer to leaving for free.

We can’t be desperate to buy. The squad is a mess and nearly the whole squad isn’t good enough to be backup. We need to resign everyone apart from some of the back four, the goalkeeper and a few other players. The rest need selling and replacing. You can’t be running around desperate when you need to buy 10-15 players over the next 3 or 4 years. Every agent wanting 20 odd million each time.

Let Ole rebuild they drew their away European game with the kids. Fella at left back had a good game bless him.

Fred is not a premier league player never mind a united player. Dalot is nowhere near united level yet. Shaw is always injured and gets bigger every year, matic is past it, the kids up front need leadership, they won’t get it from j lingz.

This is all general consensus for the last season or so. Nothing new there really.

Still doesn't answer whether you believe the club capable of signing an adequate striker during the January window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

DM_7 wrote: »
    Jose was sacked for good reason and United should not have recruited him after Van Gaal. United are further back into a rebuild rather than where they were under Van Gaal because of how badly the football side of the club was ran as a whole, not Jose's fault as he did what he always does.

No way should United be looking at a manager who thinks short term again as it will leave another mess to fix when said manager leaves.

Meh, the squad was in decent shape going into 17/18 it still needed 2-3 players but we had closed the quality gap to Man City and were much better than Liverpool on paper. We fell further behind in 18/19 thanks to the board and last summer has set us a whole first team behind.

Immediate (short term) action will be required to address the problem. Penny pinching (long term) will have us languishing were we are for the next decade.

Jose was building a squad capable of challenging, can't be questioned.

This is all general consensus for the last season or so. Nothing new there really.

Still doesn't answer whether you believe the club capable of signing an adequate striker during the January window.

In the past we would have signed somebody like Benzema once his legs went. I’m hoping ole has other things in mind. The fact his signings so far have been good makes me want to give him the chance.

Jose's biggest problem was his signings.

He spent 500 million in 2 seasons and a lot of it was pure dross.

Zlatan argubly the most successful signing but he got him for free.
    Lindelof at 30 million was decent.
    The rest of either flopped or made little impact on the first team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Something all very "Greta Thurnberg" about the above post.....lots of anger and emotion but not much valid points to back up that Jose was a disaster.

Apart from all the science that backs up her anger. But ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Cherry picking bits and pieces from what people have posted and cobbling them together to concoct an argument is not cool, bro. As for people trying to cause division, pot, meet mr kettle, hes black too.

Jose is what we needed was said a few pages back, literally those exact words, and Ole has to go also. There is no cherry picking, its what was said.

You just leave those goal posts exactly where they are.
    Conveniently forgetting Fergies, Moyes and LVG's finger prints over the squad he inherited........

Young, Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Fellaini, Depay, Schneiderlin, Rojo, Darmian, Lingard, Blind, Schweinsteiger, etc

Some of these still being complained about despite being there before Jose.

Lol. Not mentioning is not forgetting. Fergie left us a title with an average squad, now he is what we really need. Also anger and emotion? Gretta? I was perfectly fine calm writing my post, sounds like you projecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Apart from all the science that backs up her anger. But ok.

Comes across as a typical teenager that's been a diva enjoying the attention you ask me but that's for another thread.

Id actually compare watching united to her little talks You know its gonna irratate the fek out of you but you watch it anyway incase on the very slim chance that you miss something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Jose being good, bad or indifferent is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. He's gone, whatever your thoughts on that are.
    Doesn't take away from the fact that ole needs to go. He's entirely clueless and out of his depth

beno619 wrote: »
    Meh, the squad was in decent shape going into 17/18 it still needed 2-3 players but we had closed the quality gap to Man City and were much better than Liverpool on paper. We fell further behind in 18/19 thanks to the board and last summer has set us a whole first team behind.

Immediate (short term) action will be required to address the problem. Penny pinching (long term) will have us languishing were we are for the next decade.

Jose was building a squad capable of challenging, can't be questioned.

The gap between City in 1st and United in 2nd on points suggest otherwise on quality tbh.

Jose was clearly not building a squad capable of challenging as he could not even keep it going well himself. Spurs bought nobody but got 3rd and Champions League final. Jose got the boot. Clearly he wasn't building a quality side at all.

Edit: I should add no United manager since SAF did and that was mainly due to poor decisions and oversight by executives at United who threw money at the team but not in a cohesive or logical way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Onto Sunday vs Newcastle..

Oles comments of 'try to win' arent what I really wanted to hear

He has nothing to lose really so i think he should go with

De Gea, Dalot, Maguire, Lindleof, Williams, McTominay, Garner, Gomes,, James, Chong, Greenwood

Whats the worst that could happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Could get battered, pile more pressure on himself and shatter a load of young lads confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Could get battered, pile more pressure on himself and shatter a load of young lads confidence.

Or play Mata, Matic and Fred get battered, pile more pressure on himself and shatter a load of fans confidence :p

The gap between City in 1st and United in 2nd on points suggest otherwise on quality tbh.

Jose was clearly not building a squad capable of challenging as he could not even keep it going well himself. Spurs bought nobody but got 3rd and Champions League final. Jose got the boot. Clearly he wasn't building a quality side at all.

Edit: I should add no United manager since SAF did and that was mainly due to poor decisions and oversight by executives at United who threw money at the team but not in a cohesive or logical way.

Quality on paper doesn't always end up being reflected in results, not sure why your being deliberately obtuse.

Yes I dont believe Jose got the squad 17/18 squad firing on all cylinders and still needed additional players. Even though 2nd was an achievement we dropped some silly points and should/could have been closer.

Its strange to you use Spurs as an example considering all the talk of the past 2 months has been about how awful their 2019 has been and how the CL final masked it.

Criticising Jose's achievements while simultaneously downplaying expectations in the name of "rebuild" doesn't make sense and smacks of bias and makes your posts far less credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

If we lose to Newcastle, Ole should resign, end of.

beno619 wrote: »
    Quality on paper doesn't always end up being reflected in results, not sure why your being deliberately obtuse.

Yes I dont believe Jose got the squad 17/18 squad firing on all cylinders and still needed additional players. Even though 2nd was an achievement we dropped some silly points and should/could have been closer.

Its strange to you use Spurs as an example considering all the talk of the past 2 months has been about how awful their 2019 has been and how the CL final masked it.

Criticising Jose's achievements while simultaneously downplaying expectations in the name of "rebuild" doesn't make sense and smacks of bias and makes your posts far less credible.

I have no idea what you're on about in first and last paragraph.

Re 2nd para, yep it needed more players. 2nd was a positive season as it was progress from 6th. Club got a good initial return from the new CB, CM and CF bought in summer and new FW in January.

Yet that summer is an example of how he was not building a good squad, he **** all over Lindelof the next season in public, Matic, Sanchez and Lukaku all struggled under him up to December.

Its not all his fault, the issues have their roots in the executives making decisions at United but we can't just pretend Jose was making a strong group when the evidence of what he left behind and the freak out based on having to work with them at the start of his third season show otherwise.

Re para 3, interesting that you mention masking things when same could be said of Jose getting 2nd, that it masked and made things look better, like your suggestion of building a squad to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Onto Sunday vs Newcastle..

Oles comments of 'try to win' arent what I really wanted to hear

He has nothing to lose really so i think he should go with

De Gea, Dalot, Maguire, Lindleof, Williams, McTominay, Garner, Gomes,, James, Chong, Greenwood

Whats the worst that could happen

A gigantic Alan Hansen appearing on Sounesses shoulders in the sky like the dark mark shouting you cannie win anything with kids

Yet that summer is an example of how he was not building a good squad, he **** all over Lindelof the next season in public, Matic, Sanchez and Lukaku all struggled under him up to December.

You're going to have to expand on that "example" and which summer are you talking about ?

Cant remember him ****ting on Lindelof who had a poor first 6 months but improved in 2018 including the poor run under Jose.

I liked Jose making things look better and wish Ole could do the same. Id settle for a 2nd place finish and cup finals right now, my expectations haven't dropped as low as yours have...yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Remember Mourinho said that getting second place at United was one of his greatest achievements.....he was right!
    Ole looks like Moyes now in his manner,his look and his language.He "hopes" to win games ,he won't criticise his players he wants to portray the nice guy image......and he is a nice guy.........but nice guys don't win much.
    Not replacing Lukaku or Sanchez is not management it's madness.
    Allowing Rashford to play out of position and not fit is pathetic.
    Pogba is obviously only doing the minimum to get by.
    The young guns have potential but need to be nurtured not thrown in at the deep end.
    Lingard,Fred and Matic are not the standard needed.
    Can you name a player that would "die" for the shirt...........no.........I can't...McTominay is about as close as I can get,James maybe.
    Ole's new signings are good but more are needed and fast.I would like things to work out for him but I think he is out of his depth...
    Another painful few weeks ahead,I think unless we get a change of ownership things will only get worse....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"Try to win" is such a Moyes thing to say. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement