Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

"Try to win" is such a Moyes thing to say. :(

I said the very same after the AZ game when Ole said

"Very happy with the boys, we come away with a good performance"

• Could get battered, pile more pressure on himself and shatter a load of young lads confidence.

That's a critical statement

It's absolutely destroying the under 23 players that have come up.

Regressing them with these clueless tactics and needless pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Not here to offend or troll but we were so bad against AZ I logged onto Paddy Power to check on their relegation odds. Every last thing about them is putrid with nothing going for them. The worst team in 40 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"Try to win" is such a Moyes thing to say. :(

The whole thing of telling fans to stop living in the 90s is taking me right back to the end of LVGs time. Talked a big talk, under pressure now and trying to lower already rock bottom expectations.

The “United Way” apparently is now ok with a sub 25% win rate now, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

and shatter a load of young lads confidence.
    That's a critical statement

It's absolutely destroying the under 23 players that have come up.

Regressing them with these clueless tactics and needless pressure.

It really is, and to be honest its like a quiet tragedy in all of this.

For all the talk of trusting youth, the great irony is that whats happening with that team is ****ing horrible for the development of young players. Quite apart from Rashford falling to pieces, the exact same is going to happen to the likes of Greenwood and James in short order.

People already wanting Greenwood to come in and be the saviour, he is 18 for ****s sake. And James has had a solid start but his slump and settling in period is going to come, and when it does he will need time and space to come through it. Time and space he isn't going to get from a bare bones squad that already considers a kid with only 7 PL games to his name to be one of their better performers.

This **** isn't youth development, this isn't what any of those kids need to make them become great players. Ole's vision was always a rose tinted load of bollocks in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The thing about it being something Moyes would say...Moyes was right. United should have been looking at how City were being run and looking to emulate them. Sacking manager after manager doesn't work and it appears that's what's happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Things that are causing me some serious annoyance

“Jose was a short term manager”

Incredible insight, why didn’t we make the most out of his 3 years if so? use the man to build a solid side and then toss him away, why not give the serial winner whatever he asked for after winning two trophies and then masterminding the highest finish we’ll see in a decade?

“Why can’t Ole get the players playing like he did last January”

Does this even need explanation? That month is the exception to the norm, we thumped relegation fodder for a month or so and then we reverted to shít for 8+ months, it’s like asking when will Leicester win the league again, it’s a stupid statement.

“What good will sacking Ole do, the squad needs a clear-out”

Just because the squad needs to be cleared out it doesn’t mean we need to stick with Ole, that is insane logic, the man is a poor manager, he is miles off the required standard and it’s no surprise considering he is 4/5 years into his managerial career. Are we seriously going to invest heavily in a manager who has us playing relegation standard football?

“The players have downed tools”
    This is another mind blowing statement, because it implies that we would be better off if they didn’t “down tools”. We are a 10th-8th place team, regardless of what tools the players show up with at the weekend. The Jose-Ole transition has literally proved that for everyone to see and yet some still some are still posting verbal garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

People compare us to chelsea youngsters, i think theres a bit of a margin there. A lot of those young players have been loaned out, got some sort of game time in a competitive league for the club the they were at. Our young lads were playing games in the u23's.

Theres a big difference there and a lot to ask of our young lads when they havent even played at the lower levels for a season or two, honed their game, allow they to play ball without being in front of a 60 odd thousand crowd.
    Bar james the other lads, chong, gomes, greenwood are to be thrown out on a pitch and expext to perform when the squad and club are in this kind of dire straits is unfair if anything and could rightly mess up their potential.

If you look at chelsea's squad of youngsters and where they went

Tomori: brighton, hull, derby
    R.James: wigan
    Mount: vitesse, derby
    Abraham: bristol, swansea, villa

Not saying they were integral to each team ( bar maybe abraham, as he did his part)
    But they were out and got the expierence of the club level and mentality needed not stuck in the club unders.
    They also have some senior players in the squad who are frankly better than ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AidoEirE wrote: »
    People compare us to chelsea youngsters, i think theres a bit of a margin there. A lot of those young players have been loaned out, got some sort of game time in a competitive league for the club the they were at. Our young lads were playing games in the u23's.

Theres a big difference there and a lot to ask of our young lads when they havent even played at the lower levels for a season or two, honed their game, allow they to play ball without being in front of a 60 odd thousand crowd.
    Bar james the other lads, chong, gomes, greenwood are to be thrown out on a pitch and expext to perform when the squad and club are in this kind of dire straits is unfair if anything and could rightly mess up their potential.

Not saying they were integral to each team ( bar maybe abraham, as he did his part)
    But they were out and got the expierence of the club level and mentality needed not stuck in the club unders.
    They also have some senior players in the squad who are frankly better than ours.

I was actually saying that to a colleague of mine,how many of the United lads got that experience from being on loan compared to the Chelsea lads?
    Maybe it'd be a different situation there had there been no transfer ban but being on loan has really stood to them. Look at Mount,not afraid to call out "senior players" on the field for not doing their job. That comes from the experience of playing in a team with men and having to stand up and be counted where the United lads came straight in from the U18's and U23's and never had that experience or leadership and it certainly doesn't look like they are getting any leadership in this team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I agree with the general point but don't think the players like Gomes or Williams are expected to just perform by the management team. They are getting chances to play senior football as part of their development and in knowledge that that they are only making initial steps into senior football.

McTominay and Tuanzebe would be expected the perform to a higher level than Gomes or Chong as they are Physically ready to be senior players. Some of the lighter, younger guys will play cup games or, in the league, be played in wider positions away from the tougher parts of the pitch where they will be overpowered more.

I don't think players getting chances is bad for them on the basis the team is struggling, how many young players get to play in teams always doing well?

With all that said, cups are perfect chance to give them games but the club should not have to rely on them in the league because other options don't exist.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I agree with the general point but don't think the players like Gomes or Williams are expected to just perform by the management team.

The management team might not be telling these lads that they have to go out and perform, but they are coming into sides that are under huge pressure and no matter what the manager says they are going to feel that weight of expectation.

Greenwood for example. Ole can tell him all he wants to just go out and enjoy himself, but United can't score for toffee, are badly struggling and he is going into the team up front. He is going to feel that expectation. If he doesn't score and the team drops points he is going to feel the pressure, he is going to doubt himself, maybe even blame himself. Its just human nature.

Liam O wrote: »
    The thing about it being something Moyes would say...Moyes was right. United should have been looking at how City were being run and looking to emulate them. Sacking manager after manager doesn't work and it appears that's what's happening again.

Ya city always treated there managers great, didnt railroad a season hiring pep or anything of the like,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

263 posts into the red. But yeah, as we were told in the feedback thread, there’s no need for a Man United supporting mod because the guys have their finger on the pulse here :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure they all gave up at this stage, place is worse then ever

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The management team might not be telling these lads that they have to go out and perform, but they are coming into sides that are under huge pressure and no matter what the manager says they are going to feel that weight of expectation.

Greenwood for example. Ole can tell him all he wants to just go out and enjoy himself, but United can't score for toffee, are badly struggling and he is going into the team up front. He is going to feel that expectation. If he doesn't score and the team drops points he is going to feel the pressure, he is going to doubt himself, maybe even blame himself. Its just human nature.

Yep, he could.

He could also get a great boost by scoring in the games he has scored in, when he plays well, even getting selected at all should be a great source of confidence for him at that age. The harder days could spur him on to keep learning, working in the way the best players would.

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure they all gave up at this stage, place is worse then ever

Wonder how much longer it will go? Will we hit 20,000? Suppose we could if nobody reports a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Wonder how much longer it will go? Will we hit 20,000? Suppose we could if nobody reports a post.

Will it out last Ole????

Start a new thread and certain posters might be allowed back in to play their games, I say leave it open for another while.

Will it out last Ole????

I’d say so. We’ll surely get until Sunday night out of it?

It’s the year 2056. Post 12,890,173 in the United superthread.
    Lingard out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liam O wrote: »

Moyes said that when we were the reigning champions ffs.

I do think it was taken out of context at the time and still is.

City have really got their **** together in the last few years but at the time they were still at the “throw money after money at it until it sticks” stage while not concerned about a long term plan or manager.

You are using what Moyes said a few years ago(as manager of the reigning champions) and trying to contextualise it into today’s situation, which is just being disingenuous.

Also, I don’t get these simplistic arguments of “sacking manager after manager doesn’t work”, implying just stick with a manager because changing manager regularly is wrong or not working, therefore said manager is not held accountable for their performance.

Personally I think all three managers deserved to be sacked. Moyes, although the shortest reign, was left there too long. Van Gaal certainly deserved the boot and has done the most damage to the team and squad imo and Jose certainly deserved to go.

The Ole situation reminds me a bit of the Moyes one and I expect the same outcome from the board. Too little too late. He’s way past having a chance at Utd. He should be held accountable for the job he’s done, no matter the length of time. He should be sacked.

No it’s not going to lead to a magic resurgence in the club as the problems from the top down are far reaching but that doesn’t detract from still trying to run the club properly at some basic level.

The Ole experiment hasn’t worked. It’s not going to work. I’m not football guru, student of the game or anything like that. I’m just some randomer on the internet and it’s as clear as day to me that his time has passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think even the above is massively downplaying the gap between Lampard's youth and Ole's youth. It's not just that their youngsters have been loaned out and got valuable experience and ours have been playing under 23s.

You mention Greenwood and then Tomori and Abraham. There's 4 years difference between them. Gomes is a year and a half younger than Mount.

A lot of people are lumping all these players in as youth because they're breaking into a PL team yet there's big differences in age and experience.

Wish somebody had informed Ole of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Wish somebody had informed Ole of that.
    I think it's more the what appears to be misguided faith in Jesse, Mata, Andreas, Martial etc which is the bigger issue. I'm going to assume the young lads were always supposed to be fringe players this year.

Still going strong whoop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Woodward out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I see someone said ole deleted his Twitter account, not sure if he actually has one or not but I wonder was he getting abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lloris is throwing them in lately.

See his elbow go? Nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wouldnt be surprise if Poch is on his way out

Ole could also be on his way out

Utd go for Poch then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Headshot wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprise if Poch is on his way out

Ole could also be on his way out

Utd go for Poch then

The fella has a team we would buy half of if Ashley wasn’t so hard to deal with sand he is about to get sacked.

I don’t see the big rush to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

BDI wrote: »
    The fella has a team we would buy half of if Ashley wasn’t so hard to deal with sand he is about to get sacked.

I don’t see the big rush to be honest.

Wouldn't want Bruce.

Or do you mean Levy? For Ashley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We should be using this to see if Poch can turn a trend around, not signing him if he is sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

We should be using this to see if Poch can turn a trend around, not signing him if he is sacked.

He doesn’t need to audition tbf.

And basically every top level manager has had a spell like this, with the exception of Pep possibly, it’s not an indictment per se.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    He doesn’t need to audition tbf.

And basically every top level manager has had a spell like this, with the exception of Pep possibly, it’s not an indictment per se.

I was never a proponent of Pochettino but I think what is happening at Spurs now was inevitable to an extent and I would hesitate to use it as a stick to beat him with.

He took his time and put together a very good team relative to Spurs history and ambitions. They came close but when it came time to make the next step, the investment stopped and they were left to try and stretch across the line themselves.

They made another fist of it and again fell just short of a major title. Now they have a squad that probably all know full well that their peak has passed and that they missed their big chance. Add in the sizeable issue of comparatively low wages and I think it is no surprise at all that they have finally entered a serious slump.

Can Pochettino turn it around? With that squad, no, he needs to start again with another 5 year plan probably. But that doesn't mean that the work he has done to this point wasn't a really good job.

It really isn't as simple as "Spurs are playing crap so Pochettino is a crap manager", which is what some people seem to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hococop wrote: »
    I see someone said ole deleted his Twitter account, not sure if he actually has one or not but I wonder was he getting abuse?

https://twitter.com/olegs26_ole?s=03

All his tweets are deleted

Not gonna happen as he would be a fool to leave that money but if ole walked away, could he dish the dirt or would Ed and the Glazer's have themselves covered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'm guessing he could say what he likes if he resigned

https://twitter.com/AlexShawESPN/status/1180491110352920577

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I would love if we could somehow sign Hakimi from Dortmund (May be still on loan from Madrid though).

Very good player. Solid defensively and a real threat going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sign that lad Maddison up

• PARlance wrote: »
    Sign that lad Maddison up

I see no reason for him to leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

So typical of those fcukers to get a late winner:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

votecounts wrote: »
    So typical of those fcukers to get a late winner:(

Unfortunately they are playing like winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

kona wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are playing like winners.
    I remember the days we could grind out wins when we weren't playing well, seems a lifetime ago:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

votecounts wrote: »
    I remember the days we could grind out wins when we weren't playing well, seems a lifetime ago:(

Its exactley what it reminds me of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Hococop wrote: »

Apparently was getting abuse alright. He actually DM’d UtdArena before deleting it. For anyone who doesn’t know, UtdArena do a lot of tactical analysis and stats on Uniteds matches.

[url] https://m.imgur.com/gallery/xk8wLWf[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I really am lost for words at the complete and utter **** show going on at united.

When Ole was appointed I made a vow to myself that j wouldn't turn on him, that all my hate would be directed towards the Glazers and their puppet Woodward, now, with all of Ole's actions, interviews and general 'deer in headlights' moments I'm finding it hard not to start disliking an utter fcukin legend.

He's so far away from being a Tip Tier manager it's unreal, actually looks clueless at times. Guessing the glazers and their puppet love him as he's 100% a yes man.

Only way Ole comes out of this with his legendary status intact is by quitting and saying he underestimated the job.

Would love to see Keane brought in as #2 but never in a million years would they have him, imagine the carnage he'd cause but he's the man to sort out the rot alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Ah bejaysus, I'm as big a fan of Keane the player as anyone but Keane in a management role?

Jose couldn't get the majority of these wasters to perform, what chance would Roy have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Keane would be an absolute car crash tbh, why bring him in to give out ****e to lingard, saying play for the badge etc.

How about just get rid of the absolute ****e and keane wouldnt be needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement