Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    We've had Moyes, Mourinho and Van Gaal. All sacked. What will be different when we sack Ole and appoint someone else?

Whats the alternative?

Wait till we're having a derby with salford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Any other manager who was in charge of United would be gone by now, but because it's Ole he may survive until the Pool game. Why that it is, is beyond me. With our form we look like a team that could be in a relegation battle. Ole was outclassed by a Steve Bruce team, let that sink in. The guy is so far out of his depth he needs to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Best time to change would be the international break.

How many would like Jose back? Knows the club and the players....

It's bad when you would consider Wenger as an interim manager and he would be an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

limnam wrote: »
    Whats the alternative?

Wait till we're having a derby with salford?

Give Ole minimum two more transfer windows.

• Advertisement

Best time to change would be the international break.

How many would like Jose back? Knows the club and the players....

The problem with Jose is that he wasn't backed to bridge the gap after finishing second. Why would he want to work with Woodward again? He wanted Maguire and instead he was given Fred.

• DanDan6592 wrote: »

Might be a plan

We shouldn't have too much problems signing players in the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wenger makes a lot of sense,if it could be guaranteed there wouldn't be any rush of blood to the head again and they give him the ****ing thing permanently like this manager.

His time has come and passed but he would be a safe lair of hands for the season imo. ****ing benitez would be ok with me on a temp basis at this point which says a lot for how bad things are.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ole obviously, not sure why you'd think that was in doubt.

Yes, and many here were calling for a clearout, which has started. The transfer window wasn't ideal, defense was strengthened but not MF.

We are going to have bring in more player and let some more go, we are in a transition period and as I said before I don't expect us to be competitive for maybe a couple of years until that work is done.

Ole started what had to be done re players, made brave calls but as a team they are miles off the pace. If the brave calls appear to be wrong then they should be called out and questioned.

Ole needs to work with his team to get then functioning but it has not happened, I am not sure signs suggest he will get there. United have a poor predictable game plan and no manager has to be imaginative to stop United or set up to score on them (just counter). That is on him.

I can accept a lack of quality on a short term basis, to have room for guys like Tuanzebe or McTominay to step in or the club to select the right players to join up but right now this is a team devoid of ideas, no confidence, no clue on what to do to change things. That is not acceptable.

We know the positive changes about using in house players and getting rid of certain players came from the manager. Sadly we can have no confidence the executives will see it through when the manager changes again. They may well just go another route again.

Its a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

And what's stopping the club being even in a worse position then?

It was bonkers to give him the job in the first place after the awful end of the season

• Advertisement

Why? 5 wins in 23 games is beyond unacceptable. It doesn't look like he has a plan and I am not giving him credit for the signings he has made. Maguire and Wan bissaka were well known players that cost a huge sum of money and it looks like Giggs gave us the heads up on James.

Ole made the decision to put all his eggs in the Rashford basket, a guy that has always flattered to deceive and looks nowhere near good enough to get double figures in goals this year never mind 25.

Headshot wrote: »
    And what's stopping the club being even in a worse position then?

It was bonkers to give him the job in the first place after the awful end of the season

What's stopping Ole being sacked and a new manager improving nothing? It was bonkers to sack both Van Gaal and Mourinho but sure here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Ole obviously, not sure why you'd think that was in doubt.

Yes, and many here were calling for a clearout, which has started. The transfer window wasn't ideal, defense was strengthened but not MF.

We are going to have bring in more player and let some more go, we are in a transition period and as I said before I don't expect us to be competitive for maybe a couple of years until that work is done.

We strengthened defensively yet Ole was responsible for weakening us in midfield by selling Fellaini and up front by selling Rom, two players that while being easy targets for the more mouth breathing variety of people never gave less than 100% and would 100% be better than what is starting week in week out.

He made the call to isolate and sell them, nobody else.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Why? 5 wins in 23 games is beyond unacceptable. It doesn't look like he has a plan and I am not giving him credit for the signings he has made. Maguire and Wan bissaka were well known players that cost a huge sum of money and it looks like Giggs gave us the heads up on James.

Ole made the decision to put all his eggs in the Rashford basket, a guy that has always flattered to deceive and looks nowhere near good enough to get double figures in goals this year never mind 25.

Around in circles we go. Sack him and bring in who? How long do we give the new manager? If things don't improve quickley do we sack the new manager and bring in someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

De Gea interview a hard watch.

It must be hard watching the team attack through his eyes on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A big problem right now is that a lot of people seem to forget last season.

This isn't a poor run of games caused by changes made in the transfer window, this is a pattern going back 8/9 months now. Its not a bad run, it is the norm.

5 wins from the last 23 games by my count, all marked by some awful performances and horrible play. It takes a special kind of crazy to look at that and think, "Well we need to give it another 2 years".

What style of play do you see him trying to implement, even if it isn't working now which it obviously isn't, what is the plan? Can you define it for me? Who has he improved as a player? What improvements have we seen in anybody from the training?

Chelsea and lampard are a decent comparison. They do not get it perfect, at all. But you can see a pattern, you can see a style of play, a purpose.

What is Oles? He says we are sticking to our principles, how we want to play. So what is it? Why is it so toothless? How did anybody think the squad options, in midfield and attack were and are good enough to go through a season?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

I wouldn't mind giving ole time if we were hovering around 6th... 2 point outside relegation is not a comfy couch to lounge around on

What's stopping Ole being sacked and a new manager improving nothing? It was bonkers to sack both Van Gaal and Mourinho but sure here we are.
    Around in circles we go. Sack him and bring in who? How long do we give the new manager? If things don't improve quickley do we sack the new manager and bring in someone else?

Your entire schtick seems to be that we sacked other managers, so we shouldn't do it again.

Can you actually make a case for Ole based on his own merits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Ducker with a pretty shocking (unsurprising) home truth and why injuries should be no excuse.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/1180924331024666624

• Advertisement

I would be happy to stick with Ole even if the results were poor if I could at least see something on the pitch. What have you seen that would suggest he should be given more time?

We have no game plan! No plan B! And worst of all, no fight when we go a goal down against one of the worst sides in the league. Why the hell should I back him when he looks so out of his depth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

De Gea's interview is a tough watch. It looks like it is affecting him and he cares about the club at least. Not sure about some of the others.

Honestly do not know what is going on anymore.

Rebuild, youth policy, proud history , attacking football, it takes time... None of these things count for sh*t if the club hasn’t the appropriate competent people at all levels who know what the target is and are all working towards the same thing. Woodward is good at saying things that sound good but he’s got no credibility when it comes to backing up decisions made that they can’t blame on managers. Hiring managers and not fully backing them is a major problem. United managers have been human shields for the owners to hide behind for too long.

I don’t think Ole will be able to turn things round and other then saying “give him time” (no reasonable reason why) there is no signs that any manager is going to be able to work with the muppet show owners we have had to suffer. They destroy every player and manager who comes to our club. They talk big and don’t back it up. They don’t follow through, they stop.

They have done but take from the club and our fans keep being divided between whether it’s players or managers or both who are at fault. It’s plain and simple, the owners. United’s path to mediocrity has followed that of the Bucs who are also owned by the glazers. They are poison and they will he the end of the good years. Considering some people still buy their bullsh*t it will take an epic uprising to force any meaningful change. Maybe we should keep Ole and as things get worse it will force fans to finally react.

We need the Crowds attending games to start rebelling. We also need former high profile people who care about the club to start speaking up. Anybody on the glazers payroll won’t do that, this is why they want ambassadors , as human shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

A big problem right now is that a lot of people seem to forget last season.

This isn't a poor run of games caused by changes made in the transfer window, this is a pattern going back 8/9 months now. Its not a bad run, it is the norm.

5 wins from the last 23 games by my count, all marked by some awful performances and horrible play. It takes a special kind of crazy to look at that and think, "Well we need to give it another 2 years".

It's like the last 3/4 months of last season never happened.. the summer is the starting point and we go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i gave a list of potentials a few pages back.

by all accounts nagelsman will be a very good manager. if southampton can poach leipzig's manager, utd should be able to as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You could not get any worse with a new manager

Have a look where UTD are in in the PL table:

8aWtv1v.png?1

We're 2 points from the bottom 4 with Liverpool up next, this is shameful and embarrassing for what utd should stand for.

A top manager wouldn't get to this position where this team is performing like this. This is basically carrying on from where we left off from last season but it's gone worse.

A least the new manager will have a proper C.V to back him up and hasn't gone form Molde, Cardiff, Molde and then to utd. It's obvious Ole is out of his depth and it's getting worse and worse.

The perfect example would be Allegri. Has managed huge clubs and has wealth of experience to handle the pressure of huge clubs. Getting him in to just steady the ship would be the injection this club needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Headshot wrote: »
    You could not get any worse with a new manager

Have a look where UTD are in in the PL table:

We're 2 points from the bottom 4 with Liverpool up next, this is shameful and embarrassing for what utd should stand for.

A top manager wouldn't get to this position where this team is performing like this. This is basically carrying on from where we left off from last season but it's gone worse.

A least the new manager will have a proper C.V to back him up and hasn't gone form Molde, Cardiff, Molde and then to utd. It's obvious Ole is out of his depth and it's getting worse and worse.

The perfect example would be Allegri. Has managed huge clubs and has wealth of experience to handle the pressure of huge clubs. Getting him in to just steady the ship would be the injection this club needs.

Same way LVG steadied the ship, same way José steadied the ship. The job has now broken 4 managers. I'm not sure what would be different under anyone else. Well, maybe it would be if a manager with some secret stuff came in to prevent injuries.

Lets look at the sort of things managers can influence.

Are the results good? No
    Are the performances good? No
    Are the players improving? No
    Is the team playing with a defined style or structure? No
    Do the players look well coached? No
    Do the players look motivated? No
    Are the young players being developed properly? No
    Were the new signings good? They were ok.
    Has the transfer policy as a whole been good? No
    Are the players fit yet? Hell no.
    Did pre-season improve the team after last seasons poor performances? No
    Are the team selections good? No
    Are the substitutions good? No
    Does anything at all look like it is getting better? No

Is the manager doing a good job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Imagine how hard it will be to attract Sancho and Maddison to come to United when both could potentially be playing in better teams with CL to look forward to.

I would happily accept Wenger coming in until the end of season in the hopes the new manager bounce can get us into top 4 and then get the best manager available in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'd be happy with top 10. Get to a summer transfer window still breathing
    GSPfan wrote: »
    Imagine how hard it will be to attract Sancho and Maddison to come to United when both could potentially be playing in better teams with CL to look forward to.

I would happily accept Wenger coming in until the end of season in the hopes the new manager bounce can get us into top 4 and then get the best manager available in the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Awful time to be a United fan but we must take the good with the awful. But, how do we get out of this mess is the question. I think Ole is out of his depth, can’t be argued against now and I feared that Utd made a mistake last year giving him a contract so soon on the back of a bounce that would have happened regardless of who the manger was.

Where to next, I think we need a manager to come in and clear out the players who don’t make the cut in terms of ability and quality first. There are a lot of average players, with top quality players we have a real chance to do something. I don’t think this is going to happen though.....

I’ve said here before, I think we’re heading into a period of decline like what Liverpool went through but ours may well be worse as the league is far more competitive than when they had their bad spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Pochettino is the man for the job and looks like United might have a second chance at signing him. They should act before Madrid do - I doubt both teams will make the same mistake twice and overlook him.

I think Wenger would be an awful choice, just the wrong pick in every way.

Considering the situation at Spurs I think Pochettino is gettable and if he were interested in the project I think he would quietly do a good job at putting the team back on track.

Because forget trophies, what the club now needs is somebody to reestablish United as a top 4 football club, one that beats bottom of the table teams and wins more games than it loses. Its sad but that is where the club is at right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Marcus Rashford.

250k a week.

1 goal from play in 9.

Hopefully he will do well in the championship next year

Marcus Rashford.

250k a week.

1 goal from play in 9.

He should never have been offered that. He should have been offered a lower wage contract with a clause that he had to bang in 20 goals a season to be offered those wages. It's just another poor decision in a long long list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Two more windows ? Two more windows of him, the club or both failing to get in the ammunition needed to satisfy expectations

• Advertisement

I just don’t see Poch being allowed leave Spurs or wanting to leave. I’d be delighted for Poch to come in now but just don’t see it happening.

• Lets look at the sort of things managers can influence.

Are the results good? No
    Are the performances good? No
    Are the players improving? No
    Is the team playing with a defined style or structure? No
    Do the players look well coached? No
    Do the players look motivated? No
    Are the young players being developed properly? No
    Were the new signings good? They were ok.
    Has the transfer policy as a whole been good? No
    Are the players fit yet? Hell no.
    Did pre-season improve the team after last seasons poor performances? No
    Are the team selections good? No
    Are the substitutions good? No
    Does anything at all look like it is getting better? No

Is the manager doing a good job?

Some lads are still finding ways to deny the reality of the situation. Incredibly

edgecutter wrote: »
    He should never have been offered that. He should have been offered a lower wage contract with a clause that he had to bang in 20 goals a season to be offered those wages. It's just another poor decision in a long long list.

He must have some agent, that or Woodward was fûcking gee eyed during the negotiations, Rashford isn’t a million miles away from being a championship player, he a stocking of shîte in fairness.

Marcus Rashford.

250k a week.

1 goal from play in 9.

4 goals in the last 20 PL games by my count.

I actually feel sorry for him, he has talent but he should have been taken out of the team last April/May, instead he has been left in the spotlight so long it may just have ruined him. So much for arm around the shoulder management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ole should walk - forget about the paycheck the story and the honest one at that of the truth behind the scenes will cover it !!!!

Beg Jose to come back fail that Wenger fail that Poch !!!

• Advertisement

I just don’t see Poch being allowed leave Spurs or wanting to leave. I’d be delighted for Poch to come in now but just don’t see it happening.

Yes spurs wouldn’t allow that in mid season and would fight like fûck in the off season till the last second and a big fûck off cheque is deposited in their bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Wenger makes a lot of sense,if it could be guaranteed there wouldn't be any rush of blood to the head again and they give him the ****ing thing permanently like this manager.

His time has come and passed but he would be a safe lair of hands for the season imo. ****ing benitez would be ok with me on a temp basis at this point which says a lot for how bad things are.

Benetiz is a top class manager that has a champions league medal.

If Spurs keep losing as well then Spurs will want to make their own changes. Way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Benetiz is a top class manager that has a champions league medal.

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given Levy will know we'll be shopping for a manager soon, I'd worry he won't sack him in hopes he can get a payment for Poch, rather than having to pay him off.....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Given Levy will know we'll be shopping for a manager soon, I'd worry he won't sack him in hopes he can get a payment for Poch, rather than having to pay him off.....

Oh absolutely. And then appoint Allegri.

Wenger is 70... he has a cushy number with the French FA....I doubt at that age moving your family to a new city and the obvious ‘challenges’ and stress that management at United would bring currently would be appealing in the slightest.

Lord TSC wrote: »

But that payment may be significantly lower than what it would be otherwise as everyone will actually know the score :) you'd hope!

Strumms wrote: »
    Wenger is 70... he has a cushy number with the French FA....I doubt at that age moving your family to a new city and the obvious ‘challenges’ and stress that management at United would bring currently would be appealing in the slightest.

Given what he has said recently I wouldn't be so sure. As an interim he makes a lot of sense, still can't quite believe I'm typing those words but here we are.

Certainly not the next permanent manager though, his time has come and gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given what he has said recently I wouldn't be so sure. As an interim he makes a lot of sense, still can't quite believe I'm typing those words but here we are.

Certainly not the next permanent manager though, his time has come and gone.

Quotes were fake :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement