Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another find me some clubs thread

Options
  • 21-07-2019 9:39pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

High handicapper, looking to get back playing after a ~10 year hiatus.

Looking for second hand clubs, don't want to break the bank but don't want total rubbish either.

Looking for:

Iron set
    Pitch + sand wedge
    Driver

Game improvement is what I'm after, main thing is they are relatively forgiving / easy to hit.

Looking on golf bidder, but it's been so long that I don't know what's considered decent these days and what I'd be wasting money on.

So, good people of the boards golf forum, what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

if you are within driving distance of Celbridge go to the Golf Studio, they have a large selection of second hand clubs, you can get fitted for them in the adjoining driving range
    He posts what he has on their facebook page and is great at getting back to people

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks willabur, I'm in Wicklow, so Celbridge not that far and might check him out.

Looking for someone to point me in the direction of specific clubs, like I should get the Ping G-whatever irons to start with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

awec wrote: »
    Thanks willabur, I'm in Wicklow, so Celbridge not that far and might check him out.

Looking for someone to point me in the direction of specific clubs, like I should get the Ping G-whatever irons to start with.
    Go try a few different brands and see what you like and don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'd start with budget, that'll give you an idea of year, and from there look at reviews of game improvement/super game improvement on golfspy, golf digest, today's golfer etc. Then ring a few places see if they have them, try them (try a few), and compare on golfbidder or adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

awec wrote: »

Steven Quinlan out there is great. Took the time to explain everything, gave me all the details around what I needed for my driver and even helped me follow up when I was buying my second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

don't commit on a brand, some clubs will suit more than others.

I got fitted myself last week (10 handicapper) and have always played with Titleist. The fitting told me i should be playing Ping irons. Everyone is different and as you improve you will change yourself.

pakman wrote: »
    Steven Quinlan out there is great. Took the time to explain everything, gave me all the details around what I needed for my driver and even helped me follow up when I was buying my second hand.

Out of interest did he give you a spec sheet to go off or did you just contact him with clubs your were looking to buy. Thinking of getting fitted myself just trying to decide between going to proshop in club or either of the lads in celbridge driving range.

Advertisement