Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seeking advice - first time buyer in Ireland - €1,000 budget

Options
  • 21-07-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Basically I have given up on the 18 bus in Dublin. I will be doing around a max of 20km a day. A few days maybe only 10km. To work and from work in traffic and a few short trips around the community I live in.

What do I ned to be looking for?

So far I think a petrol car.
    Probably upto to 1.3l engine. Anything else seems less economical in this price bracket?

What I dont know is what having an NCT really means in terms of how solid the car is. UK experience has told me a MOT is fairly useful in letting me know the car was ok for the next few months. Should I be looking for a long NCT - prefereably beyond the end of 2019?

Average mileage seems very high in this country for cars in this price bracket. Does this mean that there is a regular service/visit to the mechanic/more repairs done in Ireland than UK?

Any suggestions for what I should be buying? I have no real preference for make/model as I will only be in the thing for minutes at a time but I do like a bit of gadgetary and somehwere to put coffee.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NCT is a test of roadworthiness on the day the car is tested, it is not a mechanical worthiness test and with cars in this price range you need to know what your looking at or bring someone who does as it can be a minefield.

Also keep an eye on this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975838

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Make sure you can insure the car too. Most insurers these days don't quote bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

20km so 10km each way is only 18-30 minutes on a bike depending on fitness. Added bonus of losing weight and getting fit.

Can use the bike to work whereby you could save 51% of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scottishdiem

20km so 10km each way is only 18-30 minutes on a bike depending on fitness. Added bonus of losing weight and getting fit.

Can use the bike to work whereby you could save 51% of the cost.

Problem with the bike is the stuff I need to take about is bigger than a basket. At the moment I have a foldable trolly for stuff like flip chart paper, pens, etc. The bike is attractive but not practical.

tedpan wrote: »
    Make sure you can insure the car too. Most insurers these days don't quote bangers.

Thanks. Will check that. I did have a quote given to me last week over the phone from AXA when my heart was ruling my head and was going to buy a Saab 95 (same price). Didnt get that car and am now trying to be sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks. Will check that. I did have a quote given to me last week over the phone from AXA when my heart was ruling my head and was going to buy a Saab 95 (same price). Didnt get that car and am now trying to be sensible.

What did they quote you out of interest. Mad money I’m sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Sister has a mint golf{01} with nct 01/20 parked up since she upgraded .She said she would be lucky to get €100 for it .It seems No insurance company is willing to take these aged cars nowadays so watch out for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Your budget for insurance if you don't have any ncb will likely exceed your car budget.

Get a few very rough cars in mind that could be option and ring and get quotes for them first.

Would a scooter with a box be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

if you do not have a no claims bonus, it would help if you were a named driver on someone's insurance for a least 12 months.
    This will make it easier to get an insurance quotation.

Thanks all

I bought a €950 Skoda Octavia. 2006. 1.4 petrol. 200k on the clock. Good service history. NCT till April. Day three and its still working. No sign of over heating in this weather either.

In terms of insurance we have a NCD from AXA in the UK that was accepted by AXA here in Ireland so that meant the insurance was €750. (the Saab was 950).

I did look at a scooter but my wife was clear I needed to be on four wheels, not two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement