Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just ordered from Custompc.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

deceit wrote: »
    I just had a quick look at their site to see recent prices.
    I grabbed a sale pc and compared it to overclockers. It was about 250 dearer than overclockers on a 600 euro pc. Absolute joke.
    You could take someones money, order from overclockers for them and make a profit.
    I had another look at a system with an rtx 2060 in it for €2500 :eek::pac:. I pitty the people fleeced by this crowd.

Just specced my recent threadripper build which cost me €2450. Comes in at €4011 for custompc.ie to build it. Hmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

We should have a sticky to highlight places not to buy from

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

.G. wrote: »
    We should have a sticky to highlight places not to buy from

Defamation case waiting to happen unfortunately. I'm surprised we get away with what we do.

Defamation case waiting to happen unfortunately. I'm surprised we get away with what we do.

Sites like trustpilot make a business out of this, have a look at their entry for laptopsdirect.ie for example. Thing is, what happens if like me you don't trust trustpilot? The entry for custompc.ie for example is more positive than negative.

I actually think the idea of listing sites that people here have had good experience with makes way more sense. If I see a site on here recommended by regular posters that are clearly knowledgeable and experienced PC builders, I'd place quite a bit more trust in it than an online review from someone who I know squat about or some other shill infested 'trust' site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's a difference between saying "Merchant X is a scam artist" and "I've had bad experiences with Merchant X & would suggest Merchant Y instead, for better price/customer service".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The issue is that let's say I've posted that I had a terrible experience with JoeBlogs Ltd. JoeBlogs Ltd contacts Boards and says "That's defamation!" and Boards contacts me to say "JoeBlogs is saying you defamed them. Are you prepared to defend your statement in court cause unless you do, we have to delete your comment" and basically no one in their right mind is going to agree to that, so once again, the Defamation Act silences genuine conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Shiminay wrote: »
    The issue is that let's say I've posted that I had a terrible experience with JoeBlogs Ltd. JoeBlogs Ltd contacts Boards and says "That's defamation!" and Boards contacts me to say "JoeBlogs is saying you defamed them. Are you prepared to defend your statement in court cause unless you do, we have to delete your comment" and basically no one in their right mind is going to agree to that, so once again, the Defamation Act silences genuine conversation.

Well defamation is only if it's untrue
    If you have evidence that it's true post away :)(well maybe not on boards)
    Although I agree custompc or whatever other of the many indirect sites they are called. Are over priced scam artists and the only people who buy from them are clueless people who know nothing about pcs. They'd happily throw 3k at one of there pre built because they think there 3k price tag means power when in reality you are getting a 2060 and i5cpu (exaggerating)
    Theres a reason there site is full of colours and cool wavey lines showcased behind PC's and throwing random tech garbage in there descriptions. It's to make people think what they are paying for is worth it. It's a sales tactic a scummy one and no doubt they are doing well from it because there sites still exist.
    I pity anyone who gives money to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Can we just have this thread deleted? The OP deleted the first post, and now the discussion is the same as always regarding this company. I can't see a way to report the thread...

Edit: Reported the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Can we just have this thread deleted? The OP deleted the first post, and now the discussion is the same as always regarding this company. I can't see a way to report the thread...

Why would you want to report the thread or have it deleted?

At least lock it. The discussion is going nowhere and it's free advertising to them constantly bumping their name to the top of the forum. They are a piece of **** company, but this thread has reached 3 pages of circlejerking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

At least lock it. The discussion is going nowhere and it's free advertising to them constantly bumping their name to the top of the forum. They are a piece of **** company, but this thread has reached 3 pages of circlejerking.

If you don't like why don't you just not read it?

If someone else is considering buying from them now and do a quick search here they'll see people's thoughts on them and stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Come off,how is people just giving their opinion on a company circlejerking?

Relax,maybe have a jerk yourself,might lightin you up:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Mr custompc.ie please step away from the computer if its upsetting you this much

EoinHef wrote: »
    Come off,how is people just giving their opinion on a company circlejerking?

Relax,maybe have a jerk yourself,might lightin you up:P

Guess I frequent this forum too often. This company has been around for years, and literally every time they are mentioned, we say don't use them, they are a rip off, their customer support is non-existent, etc.

I don't want a random person to come here, see their name and think it's a good idea to support an Irish business just by seeing it in a title. Now if they clicked into the thread or did any research on them they'd steer clear, but that's not guaranteed. So I'd prefer the thread to sink off page 1 sooner rather than later, not give them accidental free advertising.

@Tasfasdf: Feck off, it's obvious i'm not supporting them in any way here.

Edit: I agree that I was wrong to suggest a straight up deletion, it does make me look somewhat like I'm defending them.

I don't want a random person to come here, see their name and think it's a good idea to support an Irish business just by seeing it in a title. Now if they clicked into the thread or did any research on them they'd steer clear, but that's not guaranteed. So I'd prefer the thread to sink off page 1 sooner rather than later, not give them accidental free advertising.

Caveat emptor. If someone is willing to spend anything up to a few grand based on a thread title without even bothering to open the thread, they deserve everything they get. Even for the posters I'd have a high opinion of here, I'd still check their advice, do my own research and come back with any questions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

smacl wrote: »
    If someone is willing to spend anything up to a few grand based on a thread title without even bothering to open the thread, they deserve everything they get.

This. At that point they are truly beyond our help.

The irony is that right now I'm far more concerned with the all the people savaging each other on this thread than with our old "friends" from CustomPC right now.

I cannot discuss the content of a deleted or edit-nuked post, but suffice to say that the OP was not in any way extolling the virtues of CustomPC and was actually looking for support from the community, so the subsequent behaviour of certain people was pretty damn trashy. Not sure why the OP blanked their post, if I had caught it before people started posting then I would have deleted the topic for the OP but then some posters tried to start a meaningful discussion based on the title rather than just insulting the OP so I decided not to nuke the thread then and there, as discussing a danger is a far better approach to dealing with it as opposed to removing all the warning signs just prior to the edge of the cliff.

Now a forum regular is also getting attacked for no sane reason and I'm only slightly closer to closing the thread, but very close to handing out free yellow and red candy to people who seem to flame first and suffer reading comprehension issues later. Please tone down the vitriol because it adds nothing and takes away plenty :/

Solitaire wrote: »

The irony is that right now I'm far more concerned with the all the people savaging each other on this thread than with our old "friends" from CustomPC right now.

I cannot discuss the content of a deleted or edit-nuked post, but suffice to say that the OP was not in any way extolling the virtues of CustomPC and was actually looking for support from the community, so the subsequent behaviour of certain people was pretty damn trashy. Not sure why the OP blanked their post, if I had caught it before people started posting then I would have deleted the topic for the OP but then some posters tried to start a meaningful discussion based on the title rather than just insulting the OP so I decided not to nuke the thread then and there, as discussing a danger is a far better approach to dealing with it as opposed to removing all the warning signs just prior to the edge of the cliff.

Now a forum regular is also getting attacked for no sane reason and I'm only slightly closer to closing the thread, but very close to handing out free yellow and red candy to people who seem to flame first and suffer reading comprehension issues later. Please tone down the vitriol because it adds nothing and takes away plenty :/

I thought I'd check back in after I allowed the thread to cool down, but oh boy...

I may as well talk about my original post that I deleted.

So, I spent a fair bit of money with CPC and since I didn't get a order confirmation or any record on my account with them I kind of freaked out a little and made a post here asking if they were "dodgy".

Then I thought since I had given them less than 24 hours since I purchased and less than a couple of hours since I emailed them directly, I thought maybe I was overreacting. Furthermore, since they are based in Ireland, there was a good chance they read this forum and I really shouldn't open a conversation about them like that since, again, it was less than 24 hours since purchase. I wasn't even giving them a chance. So, I deleted my comment.

In the end, they did get back to me (I provided a detailed report on that) and I did get the goods I ordered so I was right to delete it, but unfortunately this thread got out of hand and here we are.

I'd have no problem with the thread being locked at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Solitaire wrote: »

This was mostly caused by me starting it, it was wrong of me to jump to conclusions just because custompc have done it multiple times in the past on here.

Advertisement