Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to try hunting

Options
  • 22-07-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Moved to Wicklow a few years back and promptly joined a shooting club. I spend almost every weekend now busting clays. Have thought about trying hunting for a while now, but don't really know where to start. Have been doing a lot of reading online, but doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to start doing in isolation.

Wondering, can anyone give me some guidance on who to talk to? There must be a hunting club somewhere nearby where I could meet some people that could show me the ropes. I've seen links to the NARGC a few times before, but can't really find much about clubs on their site.

I'd like to eventually try deer hunting, but that's probably a ways off. It would be nice to to do something this winter with the 12G I already have. Seems like season for most things starts in Sept, so I should start moving on this soon.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Many clay shooters are also hunters.

I'd put the word around the clay club you are in firstly -best starting point.

If they are not hunters they will often be local so can advise you accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm with JR on this, a good amount of clay shooters hunt and hunt in many different ways. You need to press the flesh and start talking to people.
    I've said it before and still stand by it, as shooters and hunters we are great to give out advice but most of us will guard our 'hunting permissions' like they were family heirlooms, so unless they know you a invite cam be quite rare. So back to the clay shooting, if your fellow club members know you then your more likely to get a introduction or invite.
    Do you know anyone with some land?, if so start there. Small steps lead to bigger things.
    Contact the NARGC and ask for the contact details of the Wicklow Regional Game Clubs Secretary. They will have boots on the ground and can direct you to local clubs and thier POCs.
    Most clubs have their AGM in the first quarter or 6 months of the year, so new membership intake may not be happening until next year. But if their anything like our club and there's a waiting list then get your name in ASAP.
    Your spot on with September being the start of game bird shooting with many seasons opening on the 1st September and more on the 1st of November. But the harvest is just kicking off at the moment which means pigeon shooting is ramping up, so back to the Clay Club. If any members are knocking pigeons then you might be able to wrangle a invite. Pigeon decoying over large areas often require several guns to keep birds moving. While lads may need large bags to keep farmers happy, so the potential for more guns is a possibility.
    Get the brasso out and shine ethier your neck or testicles, what ever is appropriate, and start asking.
    Best of luck......

Get the brasso out and shine ethier your neck or testicles, what ever is appropriate, and start asking.
    Best of luck......

That summarises it up nicely!

Most clubs have their AGM in the first quarter or 6 months of the year, so new membership intake may not be happening until next year. But if their anything like our club and there's a waiting list then get your name in ASAP.

Look at LAND PRESERVED signs on gates and poles in the countryside - often erected by gun clubs - this will tell you what club is in the area.

shooters and hunters we are great to give out advice but most of us will guard our 'hunting permissions' like they were family heirlooms, so unless they know you a invite cam be quite rare.

I'm in two gun clubs and members are not allowed bring non-members out with them.

I have a few private permissions as well but landowner has been quite clear that it's only me & my hunting partner allowed - he doesn't want to see others around.

No matter how friendly & helpful hunters are / want to be...often their hands are tied and they cannot bring you out on the land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Kind of what I was worried about. Seems like it's hard to find an in, and you have to know someone who knows someone.

Will have a chat with some of the guys next weekend and start putting the idea out there.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Keep trying and dont give up you will get to hunt if you want to but you must keep trying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Did you give it a try? Knocking on doors that is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

If that's directed at me I don't think I said knock on doors.

Sorry, was asking the OP. Wanted to see if they went out and got anywhere.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Sorry, was asking the OP. Wanted to see if they went out and got anywhere.
    thanks be ta jaysus last thing I want is a spirited debate with yourself CASS

Should be a good time to hit up a few tillage farmers lots of barley flat and getting hammered by crows and pigeons

Yeah, i know. I'm an asshole at times. Not my fault, i come from a long line of assholes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

grassroot1 wrote: »
    thanks be ta jaysus last thing I want is a spirited debate with yourself CASS

Should be a good time to hit up a few tillage farmers lots of barley flat and getting hammered by crows and pigeons

I'm going to give it a go myself on the weekend. I think I'll go out on the bicycle and try find some crops that are being hammered by crows and pigeons. Hopefully find out who the farmer is and approach them with my license and insurance, ask if I can shoot some crows or pigeons for them.

Can anyone suggest any better techniques to get permissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Cass wrote: »
    Did you give it a try? Knocking on doors that is.

No, mainly because I don't really have enough experience right now. I imagine it would help my chances getting permission if I'm not totally green, and I would also be happier to have someone who knows that they're doing.

I'll take the advice given and have a chat with some of the guys at the club over the next few weekends and see what I can dig up.

Good mentality, but there is also a time to "take the plunge".

Advertisement