Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you build up a Chinese frame?

Options
  • 22-07-2019 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

After seeing a "Chinarello" in person, and being impressed with the outward quality of the frame, I'm toying with the idea of one of those Chinese factory carbon frames off AliExpress.

I wouldn't want it to be branded. But flashy flip paint would be cool.

If the frame/seatpost/BB/headset is around 500, and a Shimano Tiagra 4700 groupset is around 500... then cables, housings, stem, bars, bar tape, wheels, tubes, and tyres, another 500...

Jeez, that's looking close to 1500euro. For an unbranded ("white box") bike.

It seems to me that a complete carbon bike, e.g. a Planet-X Pro Carbon Evo for 1000GBP, is a much better deal.

Would anyone consider building up a Chinese frame? If so, why? Frame replacement only (after destroying one in a crash), transferring all your old stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Component pricing can be a bit punitive. €400 bike comes with shifters that are €150 on their own. OEMs probably pay €15 for em.

One of the UK youtubers built one recently for £730 all in. Tiagra 4700 as you've suggested. Thats 811€. If it works well a fully carbon Canyonesque setup at that price is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Not a friend of a friend, but actually a good buddy of mine bought one, the forks literally folded on him while cycling along. He suffered pretty serious cuts & bruises and but wasn't run over so lived to tell the tale. There is no come back unless you count leaving a negative review!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

El Vino wrote: »
    the forks literally folded on him

The fork at the bottom of the headset is definitely the hardest part to get right and the point at which a crap frame would let you down.

Jump to 6M 30S for relevant part.

Yes it failed, but it only went when they had two lads jumping down on the bars. And its the cheapest of cheap frames.

You get what you pay for can apply to China too, maybe a €240 frame isnt robust enough but what about a €350 one? Might be an idea to buy an extra fork and destructively test it to satisfy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I probably wouldn't have done so before reading this .........now I certainly wouldn't !
    That said, some buy and have no issues at all. But the underlying theme seems to be poor after-sales options.

https://www.bikebiz.com/cream-competent-or-cowboy-which-factories-are-faking-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I did it in 2013.

Bought off these guys
    http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_products/Road_Frame/list_393_1.html

The frame ended up costing about €500 by the time i got it. I built it with Sram Rival and used it for two years. I really liked it as a first full carbon bike.

BUT, I bought a second hand trek madone, and after a couple of spins on it I realized the knock off was a piece of sh1t to ride. I just didn't know any better at the time.

So I would say dont bother. Buy something fairly decent and get a much better ride.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd probably just get a planet X or Ribble frame if I was in a hurry.

Otherwise I'd look around. There have been great frame only deals here and there. Just know exactly what size you'd need for whatever brands and keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I got a Dolan prefissio as a crash replacement a few years ago, €200 frame and a €150 ritchey fork. Put 105 10 speed on it. Amazing bike for the money. Loved it.

But I sold it to buy a pram!

Don't buy a cheap Chinese frame. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I bought a Planet X Carbon Pro bike 5 years ago.
    It hasn't missed a beat. Paint job is 2nd to none. The bike itself is easy to work on, external cables and threaded bottom bracket.
    I also have a Canyon Ultimate SLX, which cost me 4,500 yoyo.
    I honestly can't tell the difference in ride quality between the two.
    And with Planet X, you have no unknowns like tax and import duty.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset

They have fancier frames as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I wouldn't get a replica frame, I'd be worried the structure of the frame would be compromised to make it look like the real think. Too much cosmetic carbon and not enough structural.

If I damaged one of my own frames and had all the parts to transfer I'd give one of the open mould frames a try.

This thread on weight weanies is a good place to start to get some info
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Can't beat Planet-X carbon frame.

Raced on it for 3 seasons and it was a super race bike. Had a big smash on it and no damage to bike (bar a hole where chain stay obv. struck something, but it didn't break).

Now, there could potentially be structural damage but the point is that the frame didn't fold in half like Asgreen's one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I've built up a chinese frame (velobuild), going a few months at this stage. It's taken me a while to feel comfortable on it with fears of it exploding for no reason ala internet stories. Had an issue with a slipping seat post too but I've fixed that.

I'd do it again, however you have no comeback whatsoever if anything goes wrong. Saying that, that video posted above where the steerer is destroyed is the only video I've seen of a china frame failing in that manner.

Advertisement