Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT for bikes?

• 22-07-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Rumours circulating on Social Media that this might be in by 2022..new EU rules or something.
    Anyone heard ought?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Theyre will be no EU by 2022...................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...its more because its on SM I'd be inclined to disbelieve it tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Probably not a popular opinion, but I would welcome it.

Some amount of bikes out there that are only fit for a breakers yard. Not to mention the bikes with bad brakes, tyres and chains.

Not sure how it would work in practice bit in principle I think it's overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Tzardine wrote: »

Some amount of bikes out there that are only fit for a breakers yard. Not to mention the bikes with bad brakes, tyres and chains.

There is very little evidence that defective motorcycles contribute in any way significantly to road deaths and injuries (on the phone now so not digging out the figures).
    While it sounds like a great idea on paper, the cost of setting up the testing network would likely far outweigh any safety benefits of implementing it.
    While I wouldn't be in any way against paying for an nbt for my bike, I think the cost of setting up such a system would be a waste of public funds.
    Anecdotedly, I haven't experienced this same number of dangerous bikes as you have, the average bike you meet, in my experience, is better maintained than your average car - they're a lot less forgiving if any issues do occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tzardine wrote:

Not according to RSA accident figures.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Not according to RSA accident figures.

Never mind the accident figures. I see these bikes all the time. I also see plenty of bikes for sale that are being driven daily and are in poor condition.

Yes I agree that most people keep their bikes in great condition and well maintained, but there is no doubt that there is a proportion of the bikes that need attention in some way, whether it be brakes, tyres, suspension etc.

I suspect the % of bikes that would need something attended to if they were put through a test would be surprising.

In the UK for example, although bikes were more likely to pass an MOT than a car, 17.7% still failed on the 1st test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tzardine wrote:
    Never mind the accident figures. I see these bikes all the time. I also see plenty of bikes for sale that are being driven daily and are in poor condition.

They are the real figures the govt will base any legislation around, what you and I see or think bears no relenance.

Btw just because it might look ratty doesn't mean it isn't mechanically fine, tbh bikes are simpler than cars and have a lot less that could make them fail.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Some courier bikes aren't even fit to be used as a boat anchor !! I used to see a Suzuki GN125 going around with bent bars. It was like that for years.

Tzardine wrote: »

Why would you notice this...curious..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I wouldn't be too keen on letting Johnny Im not a proper mechanic on my Panigale etc.
    Ya know what I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

There aren't a lot of bikes in Ireland so it's not financially feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

Nightmare!! I get great craic out of buying a rough bike and getting her going well and clean her up!! Going to be much harder to find a nice project

Why would you notice this...curious..:confused:

I have commuted to work on a bike in Dublin for a long time. I spend a lot of time at traffic lights looking and admiring other peoples bikes :), but you also see the ones that have issues.

Very common to see bikes with bad tyres, chains with massive slack, sprockets in bad shape, indicators not working (only one flashing), no or damaged mirrors. You really do not have to look hard.

I find that guys who are social or pleasure bikers do keep the bikes well minded. For those that commute on them, they are often just a tool and the same level of care is not shown, especially scooters !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

This story comes out every year or so, there was a commission set up that included the RSA and others,it was found not viable by costs, they even segusted two centers in the country but that would cost to much as there would not be enough bikes in country to cover staff payments for a year let alone the equipment.
    As far as conditions of bikes on the road personally I think they have vastly improved the last 10 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

So no more loud exhausts?? Loud pipes save lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

So no more loud exhausts?? Loud pipes save lives.

Not bike related but this is why noise is needed

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/boy-knocked-down-by-electric-car-settles-case-for-55-000-1.3960499

" He missed school for three weeks."..........oh no :eek:,. he's 5 ffs...

"he now likes to play soccer,"...on his new Apple iPad that mommy bought him for being a brave little soldier....

...well DEKRA in the Germany estimated that 8% of accidents on PTW's were due to technical issues. And of the those issues, 50% alone were tyres and the majority of those even were down to tyre pressures alone.

No 'test' is ever going to improve that by anything other than a tiny %.

CITA, the committee for international technical inspections (sic), attributes the rate of technical failure at 5%.

So, armed with that, where does that leave us ?

Simple, it's down to money.

Testing here is by a private company (currently Applus, previously SGS). Even they didn't put in enough/correct gear to actually test the national car fleet. (e.g., they can't test any 4-wheel drive vehicles....lolz...Quattro rules :) )

And they sure as hell won't put in millions & millions for handful of bikes in this country.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

..and we're not the only ones to not have Inspections btw. - I think only 16 of the 27 members test their bike fleet.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Used to think it was a good idea as some of the bikes on the road and for sale are poorly modded/maintained. Seen a few fighters lately that were of ehh... questionable roadworthyness shall we say.
    It will inevitably badly managed here. If they follow the UK model and piggyback the service onto some existing bike shops it will likely be a shambles.

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    If they follow the UK model and piggyback the service onto some existing bike shops it will likely be a shambles.

and in the West there are almost no bike shops left at all, so that's not an option tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    and in the West there are almost no bike shops left at all, so that's not an option tbh.

It's never going to be bike shop based, corruption is rampant. It'll have to be a independent system like the NCT, CVRT and the NI DOE but as others said there isn't enough bikes in the country to make independent centres viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

I remeber reading a thread before where the lad had a relative in the RSA and said the only reason it is not in, is because it doesn't make commercial sense and would struggle to get a vendor to take up any tender on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Are there many qualified bike mechanics in the country? Obviously there are lads that fix/service bikes but are many of these qualified? And to what standard? That's not a dig at anybody - just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The only way this would be a runner is to attach it to existing NCT centres, and even then they would need different equipment to conduct the tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

There are no plans for NCT testing for motorbikes at European level in the medium term at the very least. There are changes coming for 4 wheeled vehicles, but nothing in the pipeline for 2 wheelers

GBX wrote: »
    Are there many qualified bike mechanics in the country? Obviously there are lads that fix/service bikes but are many of these qualified? And to what standard? That's not a dig at anybody - just curious.

Not sure if it's 'many', but there are certainly a number.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 aido43

They have and are using private garages for the CVRT for buses,coaches etc --which means a big investment in equipment,software etc and manpower. Doubt if theres a bike shop/garage that could afford this even in Dublin. Id say RSA would love the revenue from bikes but doubt if anyone could take on the testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The reasons that people don't want NCT's for bikes is as follows:

1) You'd have to pay for it (Bikers don't like paying for things unless it's bike things <- this feeds into point 3)
    2) Someone else has to sit on your bike (Bikers don't like other people sitting on their bikes)
    3) A lot of bikes are in disrepair, lot of Junk out there, only in Laragh last weekend and there are bikes there that have barely any thread left.
    4) This is the Big one Any bike from 2010 up has emissions control built in, a lot of bikers get loud Cans/Exhaust systems which means they wont pass a test. I keep my bikes 100% standard when it comes to the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Zipppy wrote: »
    Rumours circulating on Social Media that this might be in by 2022..new EU rules or something.
    Anyone heard ought?

It's been in print for ages...

Read the last EU roadworthiness directive 2014/45/EU https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014L0045&from=EN :
    Article 2 - Scope
    1. This Directive shall apply to vehicles with a design speed exceeding 25 km/h of the following categories, as referred to in Directive 2002/24/EC, Directive 2003/37/EC and Directive 2007/46/EC:

[snip]

from 1 January 2022, two- or three-wheel vehicles – vehicle categories L3e, L4e, L5e and L7e, with an engine displacement of more than 125 cm3;

HOWEVER, there is an escape hatch:
    2. Member States may exclude the following vehicles registered in their territory from the scope of application of this Directive:

vehicles in categories L3e, L4e, L5e and L7e, with an engine displacement of more than 125 cm3, where the Member State has put in place effective alternative road safety measures for two- or three-wheel vehicles, taking into account in particular relevant road safety statistics covering the last five years. Member States shall notify such exemptions to the Commission.

RSA:
    Will roadworthiness tests for motorbikes be brought in?

From 1 January 2022 European Legislation (Directive 2014/45/EU) will require two and three wheeled vehicles with an engine displacement of more than 125 cm3 to be roadworthiness tested. However, this law also allows that where a country has effective alternative road safety measures in place, an exemption may apply. The RSA will examine the requirements of this Directive in due course.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Two_Three_Wheeled_Vehicles/FAQs%20on%20Motorbikes%20or%20Motorcycles.pdf

So the decision is down to the RSA...

REMAIN VIGILANT.

Advertisement