Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT for bikes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

grahambo wrote: »
    The reasons that people don't want NCT's for bikes is as follows:

1) You'd have to pay for it (Bikers don't like paying for things unless it's bike things <- this feeds into point 3)
    2) Someone else has to sit on your bike (Bikers don't like other people sitting on their bikes)
    3) A lot of bikes are in disrepair, lot of Junk out there, only in Laragh last weekend and there are bikes there that have barely any thread left.
    4) This is the Big one Any bike from 2010 up has emissions control built in, a lot of bikers get loud Cans/Exhaust systems which means they wont pass a test. I keep my bikes 100% standard when it comes to the engine.

There's actually a 5) you can add to that: if, say, the NCT arrangement was expanded in some form to all for bikes, then you'd run into the issue that (effectively) none of their current staff have bike licences, so wouldn't actually be allowed on them, if only for insurance purposes........... a monster can of worms that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

galwaytt wrote: »
    There's actually a 5) you can add to that: if, say, the NCT arrangement was expanded in some form to all for bikes, then you'd run into the issue that (effectively) none of their current staff have bike licences, so wouldn't actually be allowed on them, if only for insurance purposes........... a monster can of worms that.

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You don't need a licence on property where the public doesn't have access, so the NCT testers can ride bikes in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Del2005 wrote: »
    You don't need a licence on property where the public doesn't have access, so the NCT testers can ride bikes in the centre.

I'd imagine even in NCT centre staff wouldn't be allowed on bikes unless they were qualified to use them. Severe can of worms trying to handle heavy bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

emo72 wrote: »
    I'd imagine even in NCT centre staff wouldn't be allowed on bikes unless they were qualified to use them. Severe can of worms trying to handle heavy bikes.

You can be trained to do anything, how do you think everyone else learns to handle their bikes or other heavy/awkward loads at work?

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Insurance company requirement amongst other things....

Incorrect. We are in the motor vehicle manufacturing business, and even in the confines of our yard & workshops it's a requirement by both our insurer, and was also brought up by HSA on a routine inspection a while ago. If you damaged one, say, moving it in the yard, the first thing the insurer (or HSA or anyone else) will look for is a licence as a measure of 'competence'. Whilst not a road, a licence is the only measure of competence to 'operate a vehicle'.

And, the space outside the NCT building - car park etc, from which the bike would have to be move IS a public place, and falls under the Road Traffic Act for licence & insurance purposes. You're not allowed IN the NCT testing area, so you can't bring it in.

Exactly.
    You can be trained to do anything, how do you think everyone else learns to handle their bikes or other heavy/awkward loads at work?

Trained in the case of a vehicle is known as a.............licence. There is no 'equivalent' to one.......

And besides all of the above, the simple question I'd put to you is this: would you let a non-licenced person on your Blade/GTR/Panigale/H-D/moped on the basis of 'sure I've been doing it for years, but never bothered with the licence'...... ??? You wouldn't give such a person a test ride on your bike if they came to buy now would you.............. ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very common to see bikes with bad tyres, chains with massive slack, sprockets in bad shape, indicators not working (only one flashing), no or damaged mirrors. You really do not have to look hard.

Indicators and mirrors are not legal requirements on a bike!
    ...well DEKRA in the Germany estimated that 8% of accidents on PTW's were due to technical issues.

Vested interest alert!
    And of the those issues, 50% alone were tyres and the majority of those even were down to tyre pressures alone.

No 'test' is ever going to improve that by anything other than a tiny %.

Exactly, either the rider has a clue or they don't. Ultimately you can't save people from their own gross stupidity.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

And besides all of the above, the simple question I'd put to you is this: would you let a non-licenced person on your Blade/GTR/Panigale/H-D/moped on the basis of 'sure I've been doing it for years, but never bothered with the licence'...... ??? You wouldn't give such a person a test ride on your bike if they came to buy now would you.............. ??

Exactly, not a chance. Some HD tourers are pushing 450 kilos dry !! Even experienced riders wouldn't be able for them.

Indicators and mirrors are not legal requirements on a bike!

Where they are fitted (indicators) they are required to be working.

S.I. No. 182/1991 - Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations, 1991

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

They brought in the NCT for cars so there is no reason they can't for bikes, it may take time to sort it out but if they say it's coming then it's coming.
    I would only be in favour of it if they stuck to the basic safety essentials like tires, brakes lights etc but if they go full bang wallop with stupid **** and give you an advisory for a loose chain then it will make a balls of it.
    There are a lot of ****heaps on the road these days you see them everywhere some of them are nowhere near roadworthy, complete death traps !

• Advertisement

mamax wrote: »
    They brought in the NCT for cars so there is no reason they can't for bikes, it may take time to sort it out but if they say it's coming then it's coming.
    !

It's a hundred times easier to find staff with car licences than bike licences.

It's a hundred times easier to find staff with car licences than bike licences.

Lot's of unemployed lads with bike licences out there I doubt that would be their biggest problem :p

mamax wrote: »
    Lot's of unemployed lads with bike licences out there I doubt that would be their biggest problem :p

Doubt it. Anyway we've no way of proving that either way. It'll never happen. I can barely back my own xj900 out the shed every day. And I'm used to it. Imagine trying to move other people's bikes around? All day every day? I'm not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The biggest issue with the NCT and any potential NBT would be the same is the As Gaeilge name on the number plate, i mean how the fuq is that a safety issue?

There might not be a need for the tester to even drive the bike.

They could have the owner drive the bike into the testing spot, put it on the centre stand (or paddock stand) and then the tester checks it out. The owner then drives it out when done.

People are going on about the testers not being capable of moving a motorbike around for testing (not driving it). Come off it, its not rocket science. Any able bodied person could be shown how to do this safely in no time.

I get that people are not keen on the bikes being tested, but there is some level of nonsense being spouted.

Simple solution

No licence needed by the tester, car mechanic can do the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Stupidest looking test ever in that video. It'll just be another money spinner.

An unroadworthy car is a major hazard to other road users and passengers. A piece of crap bike is really only a hazard to the rider, so the risk to the public is much less and they have more of an incentive to keep it right for their own safety.

There might not be a need for the tester to even drive the bike.

They could have the owner drive the bike into the testing spot, put it on the centre stand (or paddock stand) and then the tester checks it out. The owner then drives it out when done.

People are going on about the testers not being capable of moving a motorbike around for testing (not driving it). Come off it, its not rocket science. Any able bodied person could be shown how to do this safely in no time.

I get that people are not keen on the bikes being tested, but there is some level of nonsense being spouted.

You're not getting it are you: this is the country of Swingate.

Look in our NCT centres: they've all but barred the doors from when the first opened. There isn't a hope in hell you'll be allowed in the testing lane, in this country, with litigation the way it is. How long before some guy sues the test centre after putting his foot down on that rolling road ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Next they'll be making motorbikes stick to the speed limits. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What's the point of a roadworthiness test that doesn't test the brakes? :rolleyes:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If it did come in,I hope the same fùckwits I'm trying to vrt my bike with aren't involved.
    6 people so far I've dealt with and each one has given me a different story.
    Each one shuts me down when I try to explain what the others have told me.
    Clueless morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Did not know Frank Carson did NCT/MOT testing.....?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Did not know Frank Carson did NCT/MOT testing.....?

Yep and if your bike passes he tells you "It's a Cracker"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

blade1 wrote: »
    If it did come in,I hope the same fùckwits I'm trying to vrt my bike with aren't involved.
    6 people so far I've dealt with and each one has given me a different story.
    Each one shuts me down when I try to explain what the others have told me.
    Clueless morons.

I remember reading that from you awhile ago.
    Whats gonna happen ? You got to keep driving to the nct place every time?

honda boi wrote: »
    I remember reading that from you awhile ago.
    Whats gonna happen ? You got to keep driving to the nct place every time?
    Twice to NCT centre.
    Then rang up and booked a new time which was 10 minutes before closing.
    Got off the phone and checked some paperwork the original guy gave me and he had highlighted "no payments accepted within 30min of closing".

Called back and got a different person who said I have to wait for a letter from revenue about how much I must pay and then I go to NCT and pay.
    She refused to give me a time.

At this point I told her I need to speak to her superior as I was getting all different info.

Supervisor rang me back and said the NCT will accept payment so just go.
    I said no, I want a different time as I've wasted two trips already.
    She said there are no other times.
    I said I want a different NCT centre so.
    She says fine and gives me a new time.
    I get off the phone and I then double check some paperwork and see that she is after giving me a time that the NCT centre is closed for lunch.

Called back again and was told that nevermind what time lunch is,that they will see me anyway.

I told her that doesn't seem to be the case as the first day my time was 10 minutes before end of lunchtime and the whole place was locked up until opening time listed.
    Very rude and berating me.

So finally have another time now in August (over a month since I bought the bike) and I don't feel one bit assured that it will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Twice to NCT centre.
    Then rang up and booked a new time which was 10 minutes before closing.
    Got off the phone and checked some paperwork the original guy gave me and he had highlighted "no payments accepted within 30min of closing".

Called back and got a different person who said I have to wait for a letter from revenue about how much I must pay and then I go to NCT and pay.
    She refused to give me a time.

At this point I told her I need to speak to her superior as I was getting all different info.

Supervisor rang me back and said the NCT will accept payment so just go.
    I said no, I want a different time as I've wasted two trips already.
    She said there are no other times.
    I said I want a different NCT centre so.
    She says fine and gives me a new time.
    I get off the phone and I then double check some paperwork and see that she is after giving me a time that the NCT centre is closed for lunch.

Called back again and was told that nevermind what time lunch is,that they will see me anyway.

I told her that doesn't seem to be the case as the first day my time was 10 minutes before end of lunchtime and the whole place was locked up until opening time listed.
    Very rude and berating me.

So finally have another time now in August (over a month since I bought the bike) and I don't feel one bit assured that it will be sorted.

I'm fairly annoyed just reading that.
    Don't know how you kept your cool on the phone with them!!!!
    Your actually trying to register and basically give them money and there making it difficult

honda boi wrote: »
    I'm fairly annoyed just reading that.
    Don't know how you kept your cool on the phone with them!!!!
    Your actually trying to register and basically give them money and there making it difficult

I just want to tax the bike and have it sorted so I can be on my way without giving the cops an excuse to give me more agro.
    You'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask.

I just want to tax the bike and have it sorted so I can be on my way without giving the cops an excuse to give me more agro.
    You'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask.

Are you now at risk of being penalised for extra VRT as a result of this delay? I'm curious to know how it will work out for you as in the cost. i was looking at UK bikes and the VRT costs involved, crazy system.

Are you now at risk of being penalised for extra VRT as a result of this delay? I'm curious to know how it will work out for you as in the cost. i was looking at UK bikes and the VRT costs involved, crazy system.

I don't think so but nothing would surprise me at this stage.
    Could I get a transcript of the phonecalls and who could I complain to if they fūck me about again???

• Advertisement

I don't think so but nothing would surprise me at this stage.
    Could I get a transcript of the phonecalls and who could I complain to if they fūck me about again???

GDPR seems to be their deflective tactic nowadays so highly unlikely. If you are charged and it is excessive then you might need to go legal to sort it. The whole thing is a shambles. You said you are bang on in the middle of Blarney and Waterford test centre's, would you consider Waterford at this point?

Advertisement