Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N26 Refusing to open current account on legal grounds

• 22-07-2019 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Did this ever happen anyone?
    Or is it even legal,after validating my wifes passport pics on line during the week she receives this email below from N26

"Hey .........,

Thank you for your interest in opening an account with N26. We’re sorry to inform you that it appears we will not be able to open an account for you.

As a bank, we have to follow strict legal requirements for every account we open. Unfortunately, occasionally this means we are not able to open accounts due to these restrictions. Due to legal constraints, we are not able to give you any more information at this time.

We would like to thank you for your patience, understanding and interest in N26.

Your N26 Team"

She has never been in trouble before ,no convictions either home of abroad.Full time worker with here on PTSB account here,no bad credit ever etc.

Quiet confused..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

What will AGS do here? It's nothing to do with them. Much better information here: https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/banking/opening-account/

However, N26 have refused to open accounts before, see the main N26 thread, but information is not always given as to why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Read to me as if there was something cropping up as to why they couldn't open the account. If that was down to some legal issue they would have the information as to why. If you know this is standard wording then fair enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Read to me as if there was something cropping up as to why they couldn't open the account. If that was down to some legal issue they would have the information as to why. If you know this is standard wording then fair enough.

Nonsense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

gambithh wrote: »
    Did this ever happen anyone?
    Or is it even legal,after validating my wifes passport pics on line during the week she receives this email below from N26

Yes of course it is legal, banks like every other business is under no obligation whatsoever to do business with someone.

And there really is no way to know exactly what went wrong in the application process to cause the rejection, unless the bank is willing to discuss it with you.

Have you tried to google your wife's name, variations in the name, the places she worked etc.... it may well be that some of the algorithms used by the bank to flag up potential persons of interest incorrectly associated her with such a person. There is no way of knowing unless the bank is willing to discuss it with you.

• Advertisement

It’s really very poor form that they won’t give a reason sure how are you meant to try challenge it or even know why if they won’t tell you the reason.

Especially as it’s very likely they are incorrect so denying an totally innocent person from having an account. Get Revolut, and give them the two fingers it’s better anyway I never use my N26 and use Revolut everyday.

Advertisement