Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike licence process

Options
  • 22-07-2019 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Just looking for some advice as to the exact process of obtaining a motorbike licence.

I've got a full car category B licence but would like to add the motorcycle category to my licence.

What is the exact difference between the various motor bike licence categories?

What are the various stages / steps the I need to take to get the licence? Do I have to do a theory test?

I'm a little confused about the difference between the motor bike categories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Corbother wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice as to the exact process of obtaining a motorbike licence.

Sit theory test, do ibt, get insured, practice, sit full test, pass

I've got a full car category B licence but would like to add the motorcycle category to my licence.

If you sat the "B" theory test before I think 2008/2006 you may not need to sit a theory test, contact the Ndls to find out.
    However having a full "B" has literally no bearing what so ever with bikes

What is the exact difference between the various motor bike licence categories?

They are based on the power output of the bikes and restrict the holder in all cases but "A"

I'm a little confused about the difference between the motor bike categories.

A - unrestricted category

A2 - power not exceeding 35 kw or restricted bike which power has not been restricted by half or more of the initial kw rating

A1 - max 125cc, power not exceeding 11kw

AM - moped

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

Mjolnir wrote: »
    A - unrestricted category

A2 - power not exceeding 35 kw or restricted bike which power has not been restricted by half or more of the initial kw rating

A1 - max 125cc, power not exceeding 11kw

AM - moped

Brilliant, thanks a million for that info. Much appreciated.

Brilliant, thanks a million for that info. Much appreciated.

No problem if you're 24 or over go for the "A" you can then ride anything you can insure

No problem if you're 24 or over go for the "A" you can then ride anything you can insure

Just an update, my theory test from my B licence covers the motorcycle licence. I've now applied for my learners permit.

Just one other thing, is the ibt training legally compulsory to complete before you actually apply to do the test for a full category A license?

Just an update, my theory test from my B licence covers the motorcycle licence. I've now applied for my learners permit.

Just one other thing, is the ibt training legally compulsory to complete before you actually apply to do the test for a full category A license?

Great stuff.

It is indeed you also are not insured without it despite being able to get a policy with some insurers you must complete it to ride on the road

• Advertisement

Great stuff.

It is indeed you also are not insured without it despite being able to get a policy with some insurers you must complete it to ride on the road

Brilliant. Thanks a million for helping me. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

When you apply for a learners permit, already having a B car licence, do your licence change overall to a learner or just reflects the A class is a learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You'll get a seperate permit for the bike and keep your B License for the car.

When you pass the bike test you can trade the permit and the full car license in the NDLS office for 1 license that has both.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

IBT is compulsory for Motorbikes BEFORE you can ride legally on public roads.

People confuse EDT for Cars, which can be done anytime before applying for a test.

IBT = 2 day course
    EDT = 12 hourly lessons over a period

I applied for my learners permit last Monday. Anybody got an idea how much of a wait time before I can expect to get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

They don't take your original License or at least they didn't take mine which is handy when you have multiple vehicles. The PSNI give you a lot of grief for not carrying it with you. You would think in this day and age you could have a digital copy on your phone. Won't be long I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Can I ask what the process is to find this out? I think I may have done the theory test prior to 2005 and the hassle of doing it again has put me off. Thanks

Can I ask what the process is to find this out? I think I may have done the theory test prior to 2005 and the hassle of doing it again has put me off. Thanks

I phoned the NDLS and gave them my driver licence number and they checked it and told me I did not need to sit the theory test again and could not proceed to go the my local NDLS centre and apply for the learner's permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I phoned the NDLS and gave them my driver licence number and they checked it and told me I did not need to sit the theory test again and could not proceed to go the my local NDLS centre and apply for the learner permit.

Did you do the car and bike theory test before 2006?

Did you do the car and bike theory test before 2006?

Yes I did it in 2004.

Yes I did it in 2004.

Just off the phone to ndls. They said they could see I sat my practical test in aug 2005, would have sat the theory a good bit before but that it's no longer valid for the current a category.

This appears to conflict with what you have been told. I've been advised to sit a new theory test. Quite annoying to say the least. It's strange that with the similar circumstances a different outcome has been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

Am I correct, you have to do 16 hour IBT course for a moped licence?

Just off the phone to ndls. They said they could see I sat my practical test in aug 2005, would have sat the theory a good bit before but that it's no longer valid for the current a category.

This appears to conflict with what you have been told. I've been advised to sit a new theory test. Quite annoying to say the least. It's strange that with the similar circumstances a different outcome has been given.

Strange.

I done my theory test for A&B in 2003, passed my Category B a year later. Bike theory test “was kept alive” by valid category B. Never had to sit another theory test for bikes, now hold full category A.

Am I correct, you have to do 16 hour IBT course for a moped licence?

Yes 16 hours. If you’re over 24 go for the category A.

Strange.

I done my theory test for A&B in 2003, passed my Category B a year later. Bike theory test “was kept alive” by valid category B. Never had to sit another theory test for bikes, now hold full category A.

Yeah that was my understanding from a few here who have done the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

That sounds all wrong. Better off going to your local NDLS centre and have them check your file. A lot of those helpline staff are on minimum wage and are not the most knowledgeable. Will say anything to get you off the phone.

Getting ready for theory test. I was told the car and bike test is similar enough.
    Any idea on break down on amount of motorbike specific questions versus general road use/signs etc ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I did the bike theory in May, I can't remember exactly but my impression was there were a good few bike specific questions maybe as many as 10.

I would not have passed without prep.

Great thanks for reply.
    I’ve been practicing on theory-tester but they don’t have any bike questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

This is for the UK but it's quite similar.
    https://toptests.co.uk/motorcycle-theory-test-practice/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

download the App, it's €12 well spent.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement