Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The eBike thread

Comments

unkel wrote: »
    My bike is mostly just for using locally, commute occasionally, taking dog to park / canal. Not much in the way of hills here! I will have to be gentle with that 30A controller so as not to melt the nylon gears in that hub motor so! :D

Yeah back to the gears in the upgraded MAC motor, they are a much higher quality not sure what the material is but it definitely works.

The mac motors should be good at 2 Kw no problem if using the supplied controller which should have the soft start function.

Sure you can always add a little solder to that current shunt for more torque should you feel the need for some extra oomph ! ;)

No harm to experiment, You just need a decent battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No harm to experiment, You just need a decent battery.

Making the battery myself. That's most of the fun! I'll most likely go for a 52V (58.8V when charged) 14S4P. That will be a big lump of a thing with the vruzend kit, not sure yet how I will attach it to the bike.

But the good thing is that it will have plenty of air around it, unlike the pre-made battery packs where the cells are all hotglued together with no cooling whatsoever, so they heat up really nicely :eek:

Making the battery myself. That's most of the fun! I'll most likely go for a 52V (58.8V when charged) 14S4P. That will be a big lump of a thing with the vruzend kit, not sure yet how I will attach it to the bike.

But the good thing is that it will have plenty of air around it, unlike the pre-made battery packs where the cells are all hotglued together with no cooling whatsoever, so they heat up really nicely :eek:

Shouldn't heat up much if they are used within spec, of course older batteries will heat up faster due to increased internal resistance.

Those old cells you will be using might only be good for 1 C and at that it could be pushing it.

Eventually you'll see the light and go with RC LiPo, simple, compact and can really dish out the amps and no BMS to risk frying your battery lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Are you going to use one of those 18650 battery assembly kits, like to ones in the video below ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLXG3pR5teg

Those old cells you will be using might only be good for 1 C and at that it could be pushing it.

They were all free. My aim is not to keep them healthy for years, but to actually use them. Hard. :D

Let's say the cells average just 2000mAh, then the pack with 4 in parallel will be 8Ah. Occasionally (not continuously) discharging at 2.5C for a few seconds at a time is certainly what I'm aiming for here, 20A. The kit is also rated 20A. That will give me almost 1200W :)
    Eventually you'll see the light and go with RC LiPo, simple, compact and can really dish out the amps and no BMS to risk frying your battery lol.

Quite possibly, LOL! Any link to those cells at a reasonable price in your experience?

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Are you going to use one of those 18650 battery assembly kits, like to ones in the video below ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLXG3pR5teg

Yep, but I have the newer V2.1 kit that can handle more amps. See my picture of my first attempt (13S2P) in post #396

Battery is working fine. I increased it to 14S2P later for a 52V battery (58.8V fully charged). Also working fine with the existing motor and controller that were officially rated for 36V

Built the battery by just throwing in cells that charge up to at least 4.1V. I had no battery capacity tester or battery internal resistance measured. Once I get the tester I will mark them and discard bad batteries and then match the batteries with repackr.com

@Mad_Lad:

Searching this thread I see you mention hobby king. Like two of these lipo in series for a 52V 14S 5Ah pack? And get a 7S balancing charger?

Linky

And if the range is not adequate and I win the lotto get two more and parallel them?

@Mad_Lad:

Searching this thread I see you mention hobby king. Like two of these lipo in series for a 52V 14S 5Ah pack? And get a 7S balancing charger?

Linky

And if the range is not adequate and I win the lotto get two more and parallel them?

7S LiPo will give you 58.8 volts hot off the charger if charging to the max of 4.2 v per cell but 4.15 should be the max you go. You can set that in any half decent RC charger.

4 of these will give you 49.8 volts at 4.15 per cell and 10 Ah but 20C discharge. 12 S config, use the 30 amp Andersons and they are very simple to change to series/parallel for cycling and parallel for charging.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-6s-20c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html

They can charge at 2C too so that means your 10 Ah pack can charge at 20 Amps or in 30 mins ! ;)

all for 171 Euro's , of course excluding postage and charger, balance leads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I bought a Carrera vengeance e bike from Halfords about three months ago and I love it. Just on some hills it takes a good bit of effort and only does about 8-9kmh would be nice to get a bit more power. Is there any options to upgrade it?

I bought a Carrera vengeance e bike from Halfords about three months ago and I love it. Just on some hills it takes a good bit of effort and only does about 8-9kmh would be nice to get a bit more power. Is there any options to upgrade it?

Sure there is, an external controller and a lot or rewiring. ;)

Your battery has to be up to the job though or it will have a short life.

• Advertisement

7S LiPo will give you 58.8 volts hot off the charger if charging to the max of 4.2 v per cell but 4.15 should be the max you go. You can set that in any half decent RC charger.

4 of these will give you 49.8 volts at 4.15 per cell and 10 Ah but 20C discharge. 12 S config, use the 30 amp Andersons and they are very simple to change to series/parallel for cycling and parallel for charging.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-6s-20c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html

They can charge at 2C too so that means your 10 Ah pack can charge at 20 Amps or in 30 mins ! ;)

The one you linked is 6S. Why do you recommend that over 7S?

The one I linked to is 7S, 2 in series is 14S * 4.2V = 58.8V fully charged. The also have the XT90 connector which can be easily connected in series and shrunk to XT60 at the other end, which is what I like. The one I linked to also has balance charger leads

I've trouble finding a 7S balance charger though. Any ideas? Or is that why you suggested the 6S in the first place? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sure there is, an external controller and a lot or rewiring. ;)

Your battery has to be up to the job though or it will have a short life.

Could you recommend a controller? Is there any good guides online or is it beyond the remit of a beginner?

Not even sure what battery is on mine tbh

The one you linked is 6S. Why do you recommend that over 7S?

The one I linked to is 7S, 2 in series is 14S * 4.2V = 58.8V fully charged. The also have the XT90 connector which can be easily connected in series and shrunk to XT60 at the other end, which is what I like. The one I linked to also has balance charger leads

I've trouble finding a 7S balance charger though. Any ideas? Or is that why you suggested the 6S in the first place? :D

I think 6 S will be plenty unless you want to go over 30 mph ? + it's 20 Euro's or close to 20 Euro's cheaper per battery.

Should find it easy to get a 8 S charger, I'll have a look.

You need parallel JST-XH balance leads to have all 4 batteries connected for parallel charging/balancing. + of course you'll need to parallel all the charging leads but it's not hard to solder up a lead with 4 of the connectors you want, in fact they probably already have them on HK, I know they do parallel charging boards which are dead handy.

I certainly don't want to go over 50km/h!

Linkies would be much appreciated! I think I'll just go for 2 batteries first. Probably enough range for me. And they will probably fit into the existing battery holder, making things a lot easier

Could you recommend a controller? Is there any good guides online or is it beyond the remit of a beginner?

Not even sure what battery is on mine tbh

Something like this, but can't guarantee it will work with your motor. Might be a good idea to get matching throttle, I prefer thumb throttle if you don't want to pedal sometimes, completely illegal of course thanks to our nanny E.U.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/36V-48V-500W-600W-30A-Max-BLDC-Motor-Controller-Electric-Scooter-Tricycle-Ebike/193099099825?hash=item2cf59a6eb1:g:mPIAAOSw9JxdexL3

Yep, that's the controller I bought.

I certainly don't want to go over 50km/h!

Linkies would be much appreciated! I think I'll just go for 2 batteries first. Probably enough range for me. And they will probably fit into the existing battery holder, making things a lot easier

The problem with going for 2 first is that if you use them long enough they will be a different age/internal resistance and the new ones will only perform as good as the worst one.

In that case, see if you can find more than 5 ah.

• Advertisement

For your 7 S balance leads.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parallel-6x-JST-XH-Balance-Adapter-7S/291142080363?hash=item43c96b976b:g:4E8AAOSwlL1aqWUm

You should find 6 S too get one that can charge 6 if you ever decide to add batteries.

Maybe some voltage monitors for the field too.

Also, the controller Low Battery Cut off becomes even more important when not using a BMS , so for 12S LiPo this should be set to around 42 volts.

A BMS isn't the be all and end all and can cause a lot of problems too and even battery fires.

You will find that LiPo won't go out of balance at all unless you run it down low.

As I advised earlier, if you can get all your lipo at the start do and don't new packs to old.

That USD189 7S charger has put me off 7S. I think I'll go with your recommendation of 6S, it seems just more common and practical and affordable, so are my above 3 links valid (to use with the 6S packs you linked to)?
    Maybe some voltage monitors for the field too.

Also, the controller Low Battery Cut off becomes even more important when not using a BMS , so for 12S LiPo this should be set to around 42 volts.

A BMS isn't the be all and end all and can cause a lot of problems too and even battery fires.

I have cheap voltage meters. Will stick one of them on the bike. Funny you mention BMS vs balance charger. I've done a good bit of research the last few days and I agree with you my preferred way would be balance charging over BMS. And I will use a very intelligent battery management system (me) to decide when to cut off the battery from the controller :p

That USD189 7S charger has put me off 7S. I think I'll go with your recommendation of 6S, it seems just more common and practical and affordable, so are my above 3 links valid (to use with the 6S packs you linked to)?

I have cheap voltage meters. Will stick one of them on the bike. Funny you mention BMS vs balance charger. I've done a good bit of research the last few days and I agree with you my preferred way would be balance charging over BMS. And I will use a very intelligent battery management system (me) to decide when to cut off the battery from the controller :p

Exactly, the best BMS is yourself. ;)

No you can only use the 6 S balance leads with 6S Battery leads but they should be easy to find and you just might find them on ebay U.K. or jsut get one of the parallel charging boards and they will usually have the XT60 power connectors you like to use which will save you making up battery leads.

One extremely important unintentional feature of the 30 amp Anderson connectors is they make very handy fuses, if you short a LiPo and can't split the wires again fast they will burst into flames, they can dish out such insane current they can actually fuse the wires together, so if this happens, immediately get the battery to a safe place outside.

I do not know how the XT 60 connectors react to shorts but the Andersons will simply Vaporise + the Andersons are dead easy to split apart and connect from series to parallel.

No you can only use the 6 S balance leads with 6S Battery leads

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parallel-2x-JST-XH-Balance-Adapter-6S/301177571701?hash=item461f950975:g:SrUAAOSwXi9cJj3Q

So you are saying 3 of these will not do the trick for 4 6S packs? Why not?
    I do not know how the XT 60 connectors react to shorts but the Andersons will simply Vaporise + the Andersons are dead easy to split apart and connect from series to parallel.

I'd say similar enough. And series and parallel XT60 connectors are cheap and easily available from everywhere.

I'd be worried they might exceed the current rating on the leads when balancing.

There's no point when the 6X 6S leads should be handy enough got.

I'd be worried they might exceed the current rating on the leads when balancing.

There's no point when the 6X 6S leads should be handy enough got.

I can't see how a 1 to 2 splitter has a worse current rating than a 1 to 6 splitter, but if you can find me a link for the latter, I would very much appreciate it :)

That would do the job? Connect 4 batteries with XT60 lead and balance charge lead into that board and then connect the main XT60 lead from that board and the main balance charge lead from that board into the charger?

If so, that's brilliant. And mighty cheap too!

• Advertisement

That would do the job? Connect 4 batteries with XT60 lead and balance charge lead into that board and then connect the main XT60 lead from that board and the main balance charge lead from that board into the charger?

If so, that's brilliant. And mighty cheap too!

That's it ! :D

To make things easier and to save me breaking the battery up all the time for parallel charging I got a charger for the voltage I wanted for LiPo of course , at the time I was running 16S LiPo, so I wanted it to cut off at 66.4 Volts charging to 4.15 V per cell so it would connect the charger with the pack in series, in other words, I didn't have to break the pack up to charge on the RC balance charger if the cells were reasonably balanced and only put it on the balance charger once every week or two to balance the pack, as I said earlier, it will go out of balance if you take the voltage low enough so either get more battery or try not run it down so low.

I don't mind plugging and unplugging a few XT60 connectors for charging. Doing it only once a day anyway.

Well, you've converted me already to lipo so!

Thanks for all your help, man. I think I will have some more ordering to do in the next few days. Lots of stuff for projects to keep me busy all winter. Can't wait to test those lipo cells with a cheap pure sine wave inverter as a mini REx for my car too - should add about 3km range in 10 minutes of charging if the inverter can hold peak charge for that long :D

I don't mind plugging and unplugging a few XT60 connectors for charging. Doing it only once a day anyway.

Well, you've converted me already to lipo so!

Thanks for all your help, man. I think I will have some more ordering to do in the next few days. Lots of stuff for projects to keep me busy all winter. Can't wait to test those lipo cells with a cheap pure sine wave inverter as a mini REx for my car too - should add about 3km range in 10 minutes of charging if the inverter can hold peak charge for that long :D

Haha good luck with that.

Yes LiPo is great for ebikes, just charge in a safe place and store it in the shed, just remember performance will suffer when it gets cold and you will notice it's sluggish with more voltage sag, if your setup isn't pulling enough current to notice then it won't matter.

Or store it in a safe place in the house with a smoke alarm close by.

All stored and charged in the shed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Haha I like the analogy :)

I want both really. I want to still be able to pedal, but also want it to move at reasonable speed (say 30-35km/h) on its own.

But you agree that the torque on the chain and the gears of a mid motor is pretty brutal. Don't know what you can do about that, except maybe have a clutch mechanism that takes the torque away from the chain / gears while you are changing gear. But that really starts to sound like a slow motorcycle with a manual gearbox to me...

As the father of many bicycle-related bad ideas, and also an enthusiastic user of both motorcycles and bicycles, I recognise the one X to rule them all as a bit of a "design smell".

There are good reasons that bicycles are 10kg and motorcycles are 150kg+, and not just that our political-correctness-gone-mad-nanny-state won't let us have any fun.

I respect Mad_Lad's passion and knowledge in matters of electric propulsion, but his expectations of performance are definitely at the motorcycle end of the spectrum, claiming as he does to have achieved 90kph on an electric bicycle (and presumably on the flat).

A pro cyclist is happy to go up a steep hill at 30kph, putting out perhaps 600W for a handful of minutes. You're talking about kilowatts of power. Time passes differently on a bicycle than it does on a motorbike - I can while away 3 hours on a bicycle no bother, but that time on a motorbike is incredibly tedious. So perceptions of speed and time are relative.

Aside from anything else, crashing faster than 35kph without proper protective gear tends to be quite physically damaging. I have crashed at ~55kph twice in lycra, and the second time I had to go on a course of strong antibiotics as the tarmac wore a hole in my elbow all the way down to the synovial membrane.

Anyway, much as I love motorcycles (and would love an electric one when they're not €30k+) I think there's something to be said for the Colin Chapman-esque principal of virtuous lightness and simplicity which gets lost once you move away from a conventional derailleur-based electrically-assisted drivetrain limited to perhaps 500W. You might go faster but you won't necessarily enjoy it more once the initial rush of speed has worn off.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I have crashed at ~55kph twice

Ouch! I have no intention of ever going over 35-40km/h and only on a straight flat deserted cycling lane on my bike with fat tyres, not down a twisty mountain road on a race bike!

Slow motorcycle it is for me, I don't want anything to do with a fast bicycle :D

Lumen wrote: »

There are good reasons that bicycles are 10kg and motorcycles are 150kg+, and not just that our political-correctness-gone-mad-nanny-state won't let us have any fun.

I respect Mad_Lad's passion and knowledge in matters of electric propulsion, but his expectations of performance are definitely at the motorcycle end of the spectrum, claiming as he does to have achieved 90kph on an electric bicycle (and presumably on the flat).

Aside from anything else, crashing faster than 35kph without proper protective gear tends to be quite physically damaging. I have crashed at ~55kph twice in lycra, and the second time I had to go on a course of strong antibiotics as the tarmac wore a hole in my elbow all the way down to the synovial membrane.

Indeed I did manage 90 Km/hr, it's not difficult what so ever, just add voltage for more speed and Current for more torque.

50 Km/hr on the other hand is a good safe max for any Bicycle, you can come off it going down a hill at 60 Km/hr, once the brakes have been upgraded 50 Km/hr is no big deal.

Now , I'm not suggesting our wonderful leaders allow 50 Km/hr , 35 Km/hr ( 21.7 Mph ) for max motor assistance would have a big impact and make much more sense. 25 Km/hr cut off is just too low.

Remember Legal ebikes ( S-Pedelec ) that go 50 Km/hr are allowed with tax and insurance.

We already know the 250 watt power limit is well exceeded with the big players in the Ebike business.

If I tuck down and am on a nice downhill section my ebike will do 70 kph, so I totally believe ML can pull 90 kph with 3 times my power.

Some people who are technically minded will always want to push the limits to see what is achievable, I believe ML is one of those people (so am I). If I get a laser pointer, I want modify it to make it burn, if I get a drone I want to make it fly further. This is how progress is made, and a good deal of progress is still made in the garden shed by the modern day eccentric.

I am not saying you are wrong, far from it, the attached picture is from my early eBike speed trials, my last look at the speedo showed 50kph then a few seconds later a sheep decided to jump onto the bike from rock ledge above the lane. The bone was split from the top, hands and knees were a mess, 3 months off work, and my speed trials were at an end. I still use the same bike (rebuilt), and its grand, just what I want although I don't think its been over 50kph since.

bruise.jpg

So whereas I don't disagree with anything you say, I would feel terrible if I was not allowed to experiment, its in my nature and as ML says the current legislation could do with more realistic power and speed levels.

Got two of these babies in the post today

493481.jpg

I used these before on my direct drive motor kit and they weren't as suitable as that motor / controller drew 930W out of them at full throttle, which was far too much for them to survive doing that for a year or so
    I'd keep your current bike to be honest

They are however, very suitable for my current bike as the 7A controller only makes it draw 250W. And a 100% legal pedelec setup. Tempted to sell it with the battery as a completely working eBike (without butchering it) and use the proceeds to start a new built of a more mid range bike. Tempted by a 29er setup. New or second hand. I'm a bit under 6'2 (1.87m) and fairly heavy at 100kg, so a big bike would suit me

Thoughts of a setup? I have 30A controller and throttle on the way and can make basically any size / voltage battery from 18650s (and maybe later upgrade to the lipo that Mad_Lad suggested)

How to motor it though? I like the geared hub setup, but would need a motor that can take 2kW without going up in flames or melting its gears

Got two of these babies in the post today

I used these before on my direct drive motor kit and they weren't as suitable as that motor / controller drew 930W out of them at full throttle, which was far too much for them to survive doing that for a year or so

They are however, very suitable for my current bike as the 7A controller only makes it draw 250W. And a 100% legal pedelec setup. Tempted to sell it with the battery as a completely working eBike (without butchering it) and use the proceeds to start a new built of a more mid range bike. Tempted by a 29er setup. New or second hand. I'm a bit under 6'2 (1.87m) and fairly heavy at 100kg, so a big bike would suit me

Thoughts of a setup? I have 30A controller and throttle on the way and can make basically any size / voltage battery from 18650s (and maybe later upgrade to the lipo that Mad_Lad suggested)

How to motor it though? I like the geared hub setup, but would need a motor that can take 2kW without going up in flames or melting its gears

Bear in mind, you have less torque with a 29er than with a 26 and it puts more stress on the motor.

So I'd highly recommend a Mid drive such as BBS02 or BBSHD from Bafang, best thing about chain drive is that you have the torque in any gear and you need less power, it's easier on your batteries too on the hills.

You'll never look back, hubs are grand and continuous uninterrupted power is great but chain drive is the way to go to be honest.

I wish I could go back to ebiking but I don't get the time and no cycle lanes for Kids in the country , dangerous roads etc it's just horrible, I'd take the lads to School no problem if I had proper cycle lanes and they were safe, country lanes that you have to stop and pull in to allow another car pass is just not good and the speed of drivers on these roads is ridiculous, People just don't think and worse, they don't care.

Having said that, I wouldn't take them on Dublin cycle/Bus/taxi lanes either, ridiculous !

• Advertisement

Bear in mind, you have less torque with a 29er than with a 26 and it puts more stress on the motor.

So I'd highly recommend a Mid drive such as BBS02 or BBSHD from Bafang, best thing about chain drive is that you have the torque in any gear and you need less power, it's easier on your batteries too on the hills.

I hear ya. No hills here though to speak off though. And realistically I only use the bike as a local runabout, for a local commute (5km each way) and for taking the dog out.

Also mid drive is well outside my comfort zone to set up, I don't even have the tools to take the bottom bracket out.

And the mid motor setup makes it looks like an eBike in the most obvious way. A Garda probably wouldn't even recognise a bike with a small geared motor as an eBike if you have the battery somewhere discreet (like in a back pack) - stealth!

I hear ya. No hills here though to speak off though. And realistically I only use the bike as a local runabout, for a local commute (5km each way) and for taking the dog out.

Also mid drive is well outside my comfort zone to set up, I don't even have the tools to take the bottom bracket out.

And the mid motor setup makes it looks like an eBike in the most obvious way. A Garda probably wouldn't even recognise a bike with a small geared motor as an eBike if you have the battery somewhere discreet (like in a back pack) - stealth!

Taking out the bottom bracket is dead easy. ;) Tools are readily available.

Guards, couldn't care less, just don't make a nuisance of yourself and you'll be grand.

A hub is find alright if you have no hills and yea , Lucan is dead flat, compared to here anyway, I got a lot of steep hills.

Just don't forget your torque arms if going above 1 Kw !

Maybe I should just go another wheel kit with a direct drive motor. RWD this time. It will handle all the power I will throw at it (up to say 30A * 58.8V battery or who knows even a higher voltage battery) with ease, so I won't have to worry about the health of a geared hub motor

The main drawback is that if the battery is gone, it will be hard to cycle home but not impossible? And I can still cycle normally on it by pedalling, if I keep at least a bit of throttle open at all times?

Maybe I should just go another wheel kit with a direct drive motor. RWD this time. It will handle all the power I will throw at it (up to say 30A * 58.8V battery or who knows even a higher voltage battery) with ease, so I won't have to worry about the health of a geared hub motor

The main drawback is that if the battery is gone, it will be hard to cycle home but not impossible? And I can still cycle normally on it by pedalling, if I keep at least a bit of throttle open at all times?

You should be able to pedal a geared hub without motor power easy enough, much easier compared to direct drive hub.

58 v x 30 amps is 1.7 Kw, that will be probably too much for those little hubs , go easy on the throttle and definitely install torque arms.

You should be able to pedal a geared hub without motor power easy enough, much easier compared to direct drive hub.

58 v x 30 amps is 1.7 Kw, that will be probably too much for those little hubs , go easy on the throttle and definitely install torque arms.

Re-read my post. I'm talking about direct drive :D

Re-read my post. I'm talking about direct drive :D

Jaysus, hard to keep up, either way, time for torque arms. ;)

Yeah, I admit I am all over the shop with my thoughts, ideas and plans :o:p

I'd like to try all sorts of setups. I know you highly recommend a Bafang mid motor setup as you were very happy with it and you had great craic with it climbing up steep hills. But you do have a tendency to recommend things to other people that work well in your circumstances but might be less relevant to others. There's a bit of that in myself!

I'd like to give a mid motor a try, but it would cost more money than I could justify and it would leave me with a setup that I don't have a need for

I think I'll just settle for a half decent mid price 29er MTB, then when I get that hub motor, I will get my local bike shop to lace it for me in my front wheel. And then just pedal the bike and sent up to a moderate amount of power to it whenever I feel like it, but say rarely more than 1kW, and when so then just for a few seconds, not continuously, and hope for the best.

Current eBike went up on adverts.ie this evening...

And I will get torque arms!

And I will get torque arms!

and not arms like mine......

Hard to take into account crazy sheep jumping on you and your bike :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement