Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The eBike thread

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bleaks

Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been asked to death but is there any good e-bike/pedal assist recommendations in and around the 1.5/2k bracket? Ideally 1.5k for CTW.

In Dublin so grabbing one in Decathlon or Halfords could work.

My commute is 25mins e/w, mostly flat, but wouldn't mind cutting a few minutes off it and getting home a bit sooner/less sweaty as there's a slight incline on the way back. Definitely don't want anything flashy either and just want a small bit of assistance rather than the bike riding itself!

Are the elops/riverside bikes in decathlon good? 6ft male, average enough weight - thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I haven't tried them, but the Rockrider E-ST520 from Decathlon gets good reviews and is around your price range

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bleaks

Post edited by bleaks on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Core6

I bought one of these almost a year ago:-

It's been great. I have found that the real world range is 50 - 55Kms.

It is quite light for an electric bike so easy enough to lift if required.

The only potential negative is that the battery is fixed in the frame so must be charged in situ. Not a problem for me but it could be for others.

Tenways have now released a CGO600 Pro which has a removable battery and a slightly bigger capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm pretty sure all the Decathlon bikes are 250W motors, they don't seem to want to get into the more powerful bikes

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Because anything over 250W is illegal on the public road. So it's the same for all bike shops, only lame eBikes for sale 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

The first bike gives 35 Nm of torque assistance which would be low compared to some bikes. Also battery just over 300 wh. It would probably be fine on a reasonably flat and short commute. But not up to munch more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Anyone here got a swytch bike kit yet?

Sister ordered one, which should have arrived last week. Despite the website saying all orders include eu vat and import duties, and final price will be shown at checkout, UPS want €300 from yet for vat and duty before delivery.

Swytch took two days to respond, told her to pay it, and they’d refund her.

Sounds a bit dodgy, given they didn’t mention this up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Morning, we have an electric cargo bike that has a bafang mid drive motor - it’s making a clicking sound as the peddle turns so we’d like to bring it somewhere to get serviced. Anyone recommend a shop that would service it, preferably on the south side of Dublin? Thanks 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Just in case you weren't aware, on Friday Swytch started taking orders for their new, low cost deal. It's more like the original adapter than the Air one they started shipping last year.

It gets rid of the handlebar-mounted socket, and the battery pack is attached anywhere you like using velcro straps - handy for better balance, but not so easy to remove it to take indoors for security or charging - you have to undo 3 straps and disconnect one lead. The handlebar socket is replaced by a new cable into which is plugged the wheel cable, the pickup from the pedals etc. The new batteries are bigger - 20 MILEs and 40 miles. And heavier than the Air ones of course.

You need to add a small display if you want to see your remaining juice, and to change the level of assist.

They have sold out on December delivery, what's left is May 2024 for a cheap deal.

So what? The price! €299 for a full kit - wheel, battery, charger, sensor, cables! (€399 for the 40 mile one). €30 for the display. €15 I think for EU delivery. Prices said to include all import and VAT. You'l need to make a €150 deposit NOW.

If, like me, you have a Swytch already, the basic upgrade kit (battery, new cable) is €225 or (€299 for the 40 mile) though you'll need the €30 display if you like changing assist levels. It's not clear if there is some way to use the new battery as an extension of the original kit - though you'd be lugging around quite a bit of weight if you had both. In the demo they basically discard the old battery/controller/level assist changer, and the handlebar socket, and replace it with the new battery and the new multi-socket cable. There's a bracket that uses the water-bottle mounting bolts for €29

Kinda sickening for anybody who purchased last year.

As my battery is starting to show signs of reduced capacity, I'm tempted. On the other hand it should last at least another year and I might just bodge it and make my own version of the "new" Swytch, centrally mounted etc. And hope the price of batteries reduces further next year.

All this assumes Swytch stay in business and are not just making a last-gasp attempt to raise money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Andy Kirby has launched his own Swytch style thing recently, might be worth a look.

https://kirbebike.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any idea how to change the assist level on the more recent kuma M1s? The value seems to be stuck at 25 no matter what I press in that maintenance menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Calling for advice before I purchase,

I have a cube electric bike and have got two punctures,my own fault cycled over a broken bottle twice,my question is,are gator skin tyres worth the expense?

Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I have done 4200km on my cube with schwalbe marathon plus and still have loads of life in them. Never had a puncture either… touch wood. Most of my cycling in and out of Dublin City centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Agreed. I have the same tyres and never had a puncture on similar mileage. You have to prioritise puncture resistance over rolling resistance for e-bikes. Changing the tyre by the roadside is often not possible due to bike weight and/or no quick release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭getoutadodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there any active thread on e-scooters? they were due to become road legal in "the first quarter" of this year. I am reading conflicting info online, e.g. they cannot use bus lanes, they are 20 or some say 25km/h limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dr.dundrum

Anyone here owns an Engwe EP2 PRO? I’m planning to buy one with cycle to work scheme. Do you know any trusted dealers around Dublin

Advertisement