Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like being screwed over

Options
  • 22-07-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Please hear me out, I am finding myself in a really sh*t position and I don't know what to do.
    So I've been staying at home with my children for 2 years and recently managed to score employment which I'm really happy about.
    We live rural almost 100km away from Dublin and because of how we handle crèche runs and how much my earning power is I looked for months for jobs with a reasonable drive (say 40km).

During the interview phase I made it clear that I cannot commit to commutes to Dublin because of my circumstances. The job requires travel within an allocated area. I was assured I will stay in the regional area I applied for and since it is a very mundane job I was fine with it, whatever gets me back working.
    So I started and during the first 2 weeks a few things turned out exactly the way I tried to avoid.

So when I signed the contract in work there was a clause stating I'm required to travel nationwide. I again got the reassurance I will be allocated within a certain area and for everything outside I will receive fuel allowance.
    So far so good, I signed a few weeks ago.

Now the reality is: I am contracted to work 30h with a base salary that's just over minimum wage. I have certain targets and while they're not completely unrealistic the company brushed the numbers up a bit because how easily you hit them depends on circumstances that you literally can't influence (location depending for example).
    Once or twice a week I am required to travel to the office in Dublin and I am not paid for my office hours (between 2-4 a week) and even though I was hounding my manager my request for fuel allowance has been brushed under the carpet.

My allocation of sites happen to fall more and more out of my area and after my request to cover certain areas I was repeatedly allocated to Dublin which can be a 200km round trip for me and 2 hours drive during peak traffic, I am not reimbursed for my travel and despite of making it clear over and over again I can't commit to a commute like that I do it and I am absolutely miserable.
    Just today it turned out I will most likely work the whole week in Dublin again, public transport is no option and after childcare and my travel costs I have nothing left in my pocket because I struggle hitting my targets, most people that hit target work additional hours that I also can't commit to because I'd literally live in my car.

We are a double income household so we're not starving but I feel like I'm being played with.
    The turnover is high because it's starter job for many young people and honestly I'd just like to leave but I live in an area where jobs are sparse and I am afraid of not doing anything. I'm looking into upskilling but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.
    I feel massively demoralised because I am effectively working for nil as it stands right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is a sales job? If your 100km from Dublin there should be other sales jobs out there that don't require that, even work from home ones, have you sales experience? It doesn't sound like it.
    Just off the bat it seems like a young persons job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If you're effectively working for nothing you have nothing to loose through quitting. They are blatantly taking the proverbial and reneging on what they assured you of. Don't put yourself through this torture. Get yourself out of there and back to the job hunting. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭patspost

This might not help you right now but can you look into your local adult education centre formerly VEC, now called a FETcentre.
    They have courses for people to return to work, perhaps these are aimed at people on social welfare of some sort.....
    Best of luck with your situation, but by the sounds of it the job isnt for you at this time.

Were you receiving SW before taking this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Were you receiving SW before taking this job?

I received a small amount of JSA because my husband works too, he moved job in the meantime and earns significantly more, so I very most likely won't be qualifying for SW anymore.

And no, I don't have any previous sales experience, I interviewed for another role a lot closer at home and came second during the interview stage, so I missed out.

I am actively keeping my eye out and keep applying anyway, I just feel horrible complaining about having a job :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Don't apologise for hating your job! From the sound of it they are treating you very badly and you're miserable. You must be very disappointed it hasn't worked out as you hoped after being so pleased when you heard you'd got the job. You don't need to feel bad for feeling bad.

It's great that you've still got your eyes open for other opportunities but please don't stay in a crap job for any longer than necessary, especially if your net gain is zero! Why put yourself through it for, literally, nothing?

Thank you so much Sardonicat! It hits the nail on the head how I feel about it.
    I'm very disappointed it didn't work out because I was excited going back to work doing something and it turned out to be more than not great.

Back to the drawing board for me, I don't want to stay jobless for long and definitely do something asap.

LirW wrote: »

Back to the drawing board for me, I don't want to stay jobless for long and definitely do something asap.

Yeah, if you're not making money out of it and feeling abused (looks like you are) and not materially worse off - I'd walk into their office, say you're leaving, pivot on your ankles and not give them a seconds thought there after. Or just phone them, but it wont be as dramatic. :)

Good luck.

Yeah, if you're not making money out of it and feeling abused (looks like you are) and not materially worse off - I'd walk into their office, say you're leaving, pivot on your ankles and not give them a seconds thought there after. Or just phone them, but it wont be as dramatic. :)

Good luck.

I'm not known for being a dramaqueen, I'll just make it short and quick, thank f I don't have a notice period yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Sounds like you are under sever stress. I would make a doctors appointment get certified off sick for as long as you need. At least that way you will be entitled to illness benefit from the social welfare. Its only a job another will come along

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd say just ditch them. Next time you are in the office let it be your last. Tell them they are not keeping their side of the bargain and that you are not going to do any more work for them.

We parted ways today, I kept it professional. I feel a lot better and very motivated for new ventures!
    I'm going to stay proactive about work and I know I will find the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....I have nothing left in my pocket because I struggle hitting my targets, most people that hit target work additional hours that I also can't commit to ....

That sounds like if you did any other job locally even for pittance, you be better off financially.

You are not factoring things like wear and tear on the car, and also you have to pay for things to get done at home, that you would just do yourself if you were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭patspost

Congratulations on taking the decision & acting upon it. Perhaps you need to see what other skills you can acquire to hopefully get a better job.
    The jobs market seems to be picking up in general

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Please hear me out, I am finding myself in a really sh*t position and I don't know what to do.
    So I've been staying at home with my children for 2 years and recently managed to score employment which I'm really happy about.
    We live rural almost 100km away from Dublin and because of how we handle crèche runs and how much my earning power is I looked for months for jobs with a reasonable drive (say 40km).

During the interview phase I made it clear that I cannot commit to commutes to Dublin because of my circumstances. The job requires travel within an allocated area. I was assured I will stay in the regional area I applied for and since it is a very mundane job I was fine with it, whatever gets me back working.
    So I started and during the first 2 weeks a few things turned out exactly the way I tried to avoid.

So when I signed the contract in work there was a clause stating I'm required to travel nationwide. I again got the reassurance I will be allocated within a certain area and for everything outside I will receive fuel allowance.
    So far so good, I signed a few weeks ago.

Now the reality is: I am contracted to work 30h with a base salary that's just over minimum wage. I have certain targets and while they're not completely unrealistic the company brushed the numbers up a bit because how easily you hit them depends on circumstances that you literally can't influence (location depending for example).
    Once or twice a week I am required to travel to the office in Dublin and I am not paid for my office hours (between 2-4 a week) and even though I was hounding my manager my request for fuel allowance has been brushed under the carpet.

My allocation of sites happen to fall more and more out of my area and after my request to cover certain areas I was repeatedly allocated to Dublin which can be a 200km round trip for me and 2 hours drive during peak traffic, I am not reimbursed for my travel and despite of making it clear over and over again I can't commit to a commute like that I do it and I am absolutely miserable.
    Just today it turned out I will most likely work the whole week in Dublin again, public transport is no option and after childcare and my travel costs I have nothing left in my pocket because I struggle hitting my targets, most people that hit target work additional hours that I also can't commit to because I'd literally live in my car.

We are a double income household so we're not starving but I feel like I'm being played with.
    The turnover is high because it's starter job for many young people and honestly I'd just like to leave but I live in an area where jobs are sparse and I am afraid of not doing anything. I'm looking into upskilling but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.
    I feel massively demoralised because I am effectively working for nil as it stands right now.

I walked out of a job yesterday for pretty much the same reason , lifes to short to be worrying about that crap , there are jobs out there

I was at my computer and listening to a jumped up idiot rambling on and i just upped and walked and im enjoying the sun and have 3 interviews lined up for this week

Don’t sweat the small stuff , walk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Since you are not really profiting from having the job then the solution is easy.

Approach your management detailing what you were told about the job. ie. You would not have to work from dublin on a regular basis and you are not happy that this promise is not being kept. Advise them that you will not be staying in the job if this keeps happening.

You have nothing to lose here. If they dont change then just quit. If they do change then great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I walked out of a job yesterday for pretty much the same reason , lifes to short to be worrying about that crap , there are jobs out there

I was at my computer and listening to a jumped up idiot rambling on and i just upped and walked and im enjoying the sun and have 3 interviews lined up for this week

Don’t sweat the small stuff , walk
    Since you are not really profiting from having the job then the solution is easy.

Approach your management detailing what you were told about the job. ie. You would not have to work from dublin on a regular basis and you are not happy that this promise is not being kept. Advise them that you will not be staying in the job if this keeps happening.

You have nothing to lose here. If they dont change then just quit. If they do change then great.
    We parted ways today, I kept it professional. I feel a lot better and very motivated for new ventures!
    I'm going to stay proactive about work and I know I will find the right thing.

She's already left.

Well done LirW, it sounds like this was for the best for you and your family. There is little satisfaction in essentially working for nothing but also having to take on the stress of doing things you were promised you would not have to do and that were probably putting pressure on your home life if you had to work/travel for longer than planned. Best of luck with the job search :)

Thank you all so much for your kind words!
    I really felt amazing, I met the girl I was supposed to work with today and realised that she wasn't trained in properly at all, I spend the better part of two hours helping her and answering all her questions because I felt so sorry for her and she is actually super nice.
    She also told me that the guy she reports to left her stranded in Arklow last week because he had a bad day and wasn't arsed to take her back to Dublin.

When I got in my car I was so incredibly relieved.

Anyway, I have an interview lined up for tomorrow, looking into courses and am generally very motivated to do something.
    It was for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Thank you all so much for your kind words!
    I really felt amazing, I met the girl I was supposed to work with today and realised that she wasn't trained in properly at all, I spend the better part of two hours helping her and answering all her questions because I felt so sorry for her and she is actually super nice.
    She also told me that the guy she reports to left her stranded in Arklow last week because he had a bad day and wasn't arsed to take her back to Dublin.

When I got in my car I was so incredibly relieved.

Anyway, I have an interview lined up for tomorrow, looking into courses and am generally very motivated to do something.
    It was for the better.

Goooooooooooo you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

looking into courses and am generally very motivated to do something.

And just remember, there are a load of Springboard upskilling courses starting in September - www.springboardcourses.ie

You might find something in there that appeals to you and will help you upskill.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And just remember, there are a load of Springboard upskilling courses starting in September - www.springboardcourses.ie

You might find something in there that appeals to you and will help you upskill.

Thank you, I regularly have a look there, nothing of interest available at the moment.
    My educational predicament is I do have a level 6 and a good few years work experience, so upskilling would really be going to college but I have no notion what I really want to do at this stage.
    So I'm just trying to figure myself out and make my mind up :)

Advertisement