Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a cavachon

• 22-07-2019 9:53pm

Hello. Looking for advice on where to buy a cavachon pup. Want to be sure to avoid anyone treating pups or their mothers cruelly. Not sure if we're allowed name specific sellers here but I was looking at Green Valley Kennels in Limerick. Anybody any experience with them? Or anywhere else to buy a healthy cavachon pup, ideally in the west (we're in Galway). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hello. Looking for advice on where to buy a cavachon pup. Want to be sure to avoid anyone treating pups or their mothers cruelly. Not sure if we're allowed name specific sellers here but I was looking at Green Valley Kennels in Limerick. Anybody any experience with them? Or anywhere else to buy a healthy cavachon pup, ideally in the west (we're in Galway). Thanks.

Just googled that place... wow how many puppies do the have for sale? All cross breeds...a puppy farm surely?

Serious red flag for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

A cavachon by its very nature will be a puppy farmed dog. They are a designer dog cross.

OP, any place that breeds multiple different breeds, especially the ones they list is a puppy farm. They may well have a license but they are still a puppy farm and should be avoided at all costs.

One of my neighbours has one from them, I’m not sure about over all health but he has a heap of behavioural issues. And at 7 years is still wearing a bark collar :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

em_cat wrote: »
    A cavachon by its very nature will be a puppy farmed dog......

What are basing your assertion on? We had bought our cavachon from a private seller 9 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Some of the common health problems that the Cavachon inherits from the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the Bichon Frise are hip dysplasia, heart murmur, congestive heart failure, ear infections, eye problems, liver problems, and autoimmune diseases.

Shelters are full of dogs and puppies wanting a loving home. By adopting a dog from a shelter you are easing the pressure on the system of having to care for so many abandoned animals whilst also contributing to the upkeep.

To adopt a dog approx. €80 fee is all that is charged by a shelter which covers the neutering, vaccinations, microchipping and internal and external parasite treatment.

Otherwise neutering a female for example, one can expect a vet to charge €140 up to €200+.
    The cost of a two part vaccination for a dog is approx. €70.
    Worming and flea treatment approx. €15
    and to microchip which a legal requirement is €25.
    So you are looking at an approx. basic bill of €250, of course depending on size of the animal.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the feedback. I understand that a lot of people here have concerns about intentionally cross-bred dogs like the cavachon. I don't have a problem with this myself so long as all the dogs involved are healthy and treated well. That's why I'm looking for advice on a good place to get a dog like this. I certainly don't want to support any business that mistreats animals. I'm not against rescues and I have been scouring local rescues for some time but haven't come across a dog that suits my family. We live in a relatively small suburban house and have young children so we want a dog that is small, child-friendly/good-natured, and a pup (both so that we can train it and in the hopes that it will live with us for many years). Most of the dogs at the rescues seem to be older or bigger than we want. I had a pure-bred cavalier king charles as a child and she was a lovely lovely dog and it was when researching cavaliers that I first came across cavachons. My understanding was that getting a cross reduces the chance of health problems related to inbreeding.

victor8600 wrote: »
    What are basing your assertion on? We had bought our cavachon from a private seller 9 years ago.

Where did you get your cavachon, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

My understanding was that getting a cross reduces the chance of health problems related to inbreeding.

You are basically taking a chance on this. The pup could have inherited all health issues of both breeds. Thats the whole point of pure breeds - when done right, you know what you are getting (in general).

If you want a cross breed - get a rescue pup. Loads of small pups in rescue.

Purebred types usually have genetic inherent defects magnified.
    50% of Cavaliers by age 5 develop mitral valve disease which leads to premature death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Thank you for the feedback. I understand that a lot of people here have concerns about intentionally cross-bred dogs like the cavachon. I don't have a problem with this myself so long as all the dogs involved are healthy and treated well. That's why I'm looking for advice on a good place to get a dog like this. I certainly don't want to support any business that mistreats animals. I'm not against rescues and I have been scouring local rescues for some time but haven't come across a dog that suits my family. We live in a relatively small suburban house and have young children so we want a dog that is small, child-friendly/good-natured, and a pup (both so that we can train it and in the hopes that it will live with us for many years). Most of the dogs at the rescues seem to be older or bigger than we want. I had a pure-bred cavalier king charles as a child and she was a lovely lovely dog and it was when researching cavaliers that I first came across cavachons. My understanding was that getting a cross reduces the chance of health problems related to inbreeding.

Not necessarily. Genetics is a lottery, particularly with a cross of the breeds you're looking for. Cavaliers at one point were so unhealthy, it was estimated that 95% of dogs had one of the major issues associated with them (Heart, syringomyelia, luxating patella, eye issues) so to get a healthy dog was like winning the lottery. Good breeders will have been working and health testing their dogs to only breed the healthiest examples that will be free from all the major issues, to keep the breed in existence.

But you won't get that from anybody who deliberately crosses dogs into these portmanteau names that you are looking for. Because they don't do health testing, it costs too much money. You'll get unhealthy dogs bred to other unhealthy dogs and they could easily end up with problems from both breeds. Looking at the kennels you mentioned they seem to just let the dogs at it, they have so many multiple breeds and crosses of each that it absolutely reeks of puppy farm with nice pictures to front it. Incidentally you won't find a good breeder with more than one litter every few years, unlike the multiples that these lot churn out. And even if you happen across a back yard breeder (that's someone who has a pet and mates it with the cute dog down the road and calls it whatever-the-mix is). While they might adore their pet, and want to keep a pup themselves or whatever - you can be sure that neither the bitch or the dog were health tested for any of their breed specific issues.

I know all these little crosses are so cute in the pictures but lots of them have issues. Cavaliers are great little dogs, but I've met a good few bichons who are ill tempered and not very tolerant of children. To be honest, a lot of small breeds aren't all that great with children, as they don't want to be lifted and pulled about and it's all kids want to do with them! They are a dog after all, not a toy. Apart from temperament, skin and digestion issues, are you prepared to brush your dog every day and spend €60 every 6 weeks to get your cross breed groomed? Because bichon curly hair will mat with cavalier fur and cause great discomfort if not properly maintained. - This is a big problem with all these crosses (particularly the likes of poodle or bichon curls which will mat, when mixed with a fast growing thick fur like a cocker spaniel)

Food for thought OP, it really is buyer beware, don't believe everything that a breeder tells you, and for the love of god, if they tell you it's a good idea to take 2 to keep each other company - Don't! Never buy siblings - that seems to be another thing that these breeders don't seem to have a clue about!

• Advertisement

Is the breeder registered? Or do they simply have a license from the council? Is the cavashon a registered breed? Not in ROI. Did they carry out the relevant heath checks as Cavaliers are inherently laden with them. This F1, F2 parentage is nonsense used to sell designer breed dogs. So yeah most likely a puppy farm and well done for spurring on the practice.

All the cavashons x I’ve met tend to range from Spaniel size to Retriever. The only time I see small terrier size is when people breed miniature poodles & with KC. Both breeds are some of the most overbred and popular breeds today.

My understanding was that getting a cross reduces the chance of health problems related to inbreeding.

Myth. Although selective breeding can and does have its issues, people who breed to demand like the puppy farm you found online don’t give a toss about welfare, hip scores, DCM, PRA, Epilepsy etc I could go on but won’t, to them it’s pure greed.

Is the breeder registered? Or do they simply have a license from the council? Is the cavashon a registered breed? Not in ROI. Did they carry out the relevant heath checks as Cavaliers are inherently laden with them. This F1, F2 parentage is nonsense used to sell designer breed dogs. So yeah most likely a puppy farm and well done for spurring on the practice.

You have not answered my question. I do not give a twopenny if cavachon is a registered breed or not, what that even mean for a mix? Before getting the puppy, we went to talk to the owner of the bitch (and to see how the dog lives) two month before picking the puppy, in their house. The puppies were well grown and seen by a vet before they were sold.

So don't you tell me about "spurring" any practices, ok?

All the cavashons x I’ve met tend to range from Spaniel size to Retriever.

What is cavachon x? A mix between a cavachon and some other breed? Why are you bringing the complete off-topic stuff like that?

Where did you get your cavachon, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll try to find the phone of the breeder, but that was 9 years ago, I might not have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

What is cavachon x? A mix between a cavachon and some other breed? Why are you bringing the complete off-topic stuff like that?

A cavachon IS an x. It is a cross-breed. Presumably that's what they mean.

Also, anyone selling designer mix dogs for money is adding to a problem we have with dogs in this country, whether it was a puppy farm or not. The sad thing is, a lot of people don't realise when they have bought from a puppy farm as things are very different when a buyer is around vs when they are not (I'm not saying this was the situation in your case, but unless this is someone you know personally, it could have been).

Also, anyone selling designer mix dogs for money is adding to a problem we have with dogs in this country, whether it was a puppy farm or not.

The problem with dogs here is that we don't have effective laws or the enforcement. Don't we have laws that prevent puppy farming and the mistreatment of animals?

In any case, it should be more difficult to get a non-working dog. If you have to pay a registration fee of say €300 (here is an idea -- the fee could be redeemable when enrolling into a dog training course) people would have to think harder before getting a puppy for Christmas and then giving it up.

Anyway, my advice would be for the OP is to engage with breeders and understand their motives and practices first before buying a puppy. Also try to look after someone's else dog for a week if you had not had dogs before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

auspicious wrote: »
    Purebred types usually have genetic inherent defects magnified.
    50% of Cavaliers by age 5 develop mitral valve disease which leads to premature death.

I'm not disagreeing re cavaliers, they are a horrendous example of pure breed dogs, bred initially from a tiny gene pool, but it's not the case for all pure breeds. Good breeders who health test, dna test, ensure there is a proper inbreeding co-efficient are actively trying to better their breeds.

Also, do you actually think that a typical cavalier that is used as parentage for a cross breed/cavapoo/shon/tzu is health tested or is in any way a healthy example of their breed? Lots of these crosses have a good chance of inheriting one or both parents problems. It's certainly not the case that they have a good chance of a clean bill of health, quite the opposite given that vets and testing eat into profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The problem with dogs here is that we don't have effective laws or the enforcement. Don't we have laws that prevent puppy farming and the mistreatment of animals?

I agree this is a problem.
    In any case, it should be more difficult to get a non-working dog. If you have to pay a registration fee of say €300 (here is an idea -- the fee could be redeemable when enrolling into a dog training course) people would have to think harder before getting a puppy for Christmas and then giving it up.

We have thousands of unwanted dogs needing homes in Ireland. Why would you make harder on those who would adopt one? Those adding to the dog population to line their own pockets are what is making things worse. Rescues will actually do home checks so the dog goes to a good home, lots of them stop adoptions coming up to Christmas, and the money you hand over goes towards vet bills, pet food etc. for the animals in that shelter. Where did the money you paid for your dog go by comparison? I'm not having a go, it's just some food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I have both pedigree dogs & cross breeds. The ones with the most health issues here are the crosses.

On another note these crosses are not bred for temperament either. I am away at the moment & have spent 2 days fending off the most obnoxious & not very bright Pug Cross. Repeatedly trying to attack my terrier bitch who is showing the patience of a saint. But when her patience runs out. That puglet could end up very badly injured!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm not against rescues and I have been scouring local rescues for some time but haven't come across a dog that suits my family.
    Most of the dogs at the rescues seem to be older or bigger than we want.

Hey OP - just on the above, if a rescue gets in a cav, or a cav x, or a pug, pug x etc. etc. it's generally gone in an instant. I did a transport of a pugx puppy last year - the entire litter was rehomed by people on a waiting list before the puppies arrived in rescue.

Small fluffies (I don't mean that offensively - I love them), go quick in rescue. If you do want to stick your name down on a waiting list, get a home check etc. so that you're set if something comes up. And a lot of the bigger rescues rehome nationally so might be worth checking further afield. Best of luck!

Cavashon is not a breed it’s a mix / cross between a cavalier & Bichon Frise, I’m not off topic. Point is that no reputable breeder breeds mix or cross breeds intentionally. If they do it’s for popularity & greed. Just because you purchased from a private seller doesn’t mean it was responsibly and ethically bred.

Point is that no reputable breeder breeds mix or cross breeds intentionally. If they do it’s for popularity & greed.

As opposed to reputable sellers selling pure bred huskies for the love of the art of raising puppies? I just don't see what you are getting at. Of course we bought a cavachon for selfish reasons -- it's small, it's pretty and its mostly hypoallergenic.

Are you opposing people buying any puppies because it fuels puppy farming? I could understand that, but that problem exists irrespective of a breed or a mix. Or do you think that only "pure" breeds have a reason to exist?

Cavashon is not a breed it’s a mix / cross between a cavalier & Bichon Frise, I’m not off topic. Point is that no reputable breeder breeds mix or cross breeds intentionally. If they do it’s for popularity & greed. Just because you purchased from a private seller doesn’t mean it was responsibly and ethically bred.

I'm not trying to start an argument but I genuinely don't understand this position. Why can't a cross be bred responsibly and ethically? Are you saying that it's theoretically impossible (i.e. all cross breeding is unethical) or that it just tends not to happen (i.e. most people who breed crosses don't care for the dogs well, don't health check etc.)?

As opposed to reputable sellers selling pure bred huskies for the love of the art of raising puppies? I just don't see what you are getting at. Of course we bought a cavachon for selfish reasons -- it's small, it's pretty and its mostly hypoallergenic.

Are you opposing people buying any puppies because it fuels puppy farming? I could understand that, but that problem exists irrespective of a breed or a mix. Or do you think that only "pure" breeds have a reason to exist?

Only pure breeds or crosses that have a function OTHER then lining Greeders pockets should be bred. Puppies farmers make up the vast majority of breeders for these crosses. Many of which end up looking liked matted & non descript or being temperamental nightmares. It costs a lot of money & research to breed quality purebred dogs.

Yes you bought into the hypoallergenic marketing ploy which is fine if your good with that. Hypoallergenic is a marketing tool as it would be impossible for any breed to be anti allergenic (the medical term).

I’ve no issues with people seeking puppies if a: they get it from a reputable breeder, if Knine or DBB cares to weigh in they can give a much better idea of what that is, b: they get it for the love of the breed as in they know as much about it as a reputable breeder and lastly if they want any puppy they get it from rescue and have it spayed or neutered.

I totally understand the OPs desire to get a puppy instead of going via rescue I just disagree with some of the reasoning.

I'm not trying to start an argument but I genuinely don't understand this position. Why can't a cross be bred responsibly and ethically? Are you saying that it's theoretically impossible (i.e. all cross breeding is unethical) or that it just tends not to happen (i.e. most people who breed crosses don't care for the dogs well, don't health check etc.)?

I'll give you my personal perspective if you like?

I don't have an issue IN THEORY with cross breeds being bred. IF they have all the relevant health tests done for both breeds (not a general vet check - reputable breeders of each breed, breed forums of the IKC might advise the relevant tests for those breeds) and if they are raised in a household with exposure to household noises and things they'll deal with later in life (washing machines, hairdryers, kids, the vaccum, dishwasher, cats etc).

BUT with Ireland currently being the puppy capital of Europe, I think there's a bigger ethical question about breeding puppies purely for money (which is all the breeders of cross breeds are doing it for). There are currently thousands upon thousands of unwanted puppies bred in Ireland every year, and thousands more dogs dumped. By buying a crossbreed puppy, you're contributing to that.

Reputable breeders of distinct breeds (reputable ones who carry out relevant health check, proper socialization and care where they're puppies are going) have a reason, as do breeders of working dogs. They're breeding themselves a working dog, contributing to the betterment of the breed, etc, and I'd argue that they should have waiting lists or homes for those puppies before they breed, or at the minimum a good idea of where they will be homed. They should also do relevant healthchecks and socialisation.

Someone breeding purely for money, a crossbreed puppy to be a pet, with no breed-specific health tests and no reason for breeding that puppy other than money, is in my mind unethical. They don't have the puppy's future well-being in mind (given the lack of health tests) and they don't have your future wellbeing or the financial impact you might take if those aren't done.

OP, I understand, I’m glad your asking and for the sake of discussion, studies repeatedly show that intentional cross breeding, especially between popular breeds such as the Bichon Frise & KCCs
    or say ****Tzu & Maltese has no purpose other than fuelling a demand and lining pockets. A lot of it has to do with some people’s desire to have a decrease in shedding but don’t want to put the effort in to prevent excess shedding in the first place.

When you google non shedding or low shedding breeds one that is most common would belong in the Poodle family so the Greeders go and find a poodle or bichon bitch that is bred with whatever they want to cross it with.

Another issue you have is that you’ll have some breeders claiming that their First Parentage(F1) Cavashon was bred with a F1 Cavashon so therefore you’ve a pure bred F2 Cavashon. I can guarantee that not one of these so called breeders has any degree in genetics or genealogy so it’s all nonsense and a marketing tool.

The purpose of breeding or keeping a breed going is one of love for a certain breed and to keep the standards of function, Knine can better elaborate.

I can understand that someone might intentionally crossbreed for function, say a working breed but in my experience it’s generally greed that is at play when it comes to pet grade.

I hope I’ve at least partly answered your question.

• Advertisement

You have not answered my question. I do not give a twopenny if cavachon is a registered breed or not, what that even mean for a mix? Before getting the puppy, we went to talk to the owner of the bitch (and to see how the dog lives) two month before picking the puppy, in their house. The puppies were well grown and seen by a vet before they were sold.

So don't you tell me about "spurring" any practices, ok?

You put money into the pocket of someone who has a cavashon that intentionally bred their bitch with what? What did you know about the stud? Was the bitch a pet and the person pimped it out? That’s nice. So yeah I’ll say you “spurred” on puppy farming.

As the cavashon isn’t a recognised breed, it can’t be shown, it’s not a working breed either so basically you bought purely on aesthetics which in my opinion is way worse than buying a pup because of it’s proven history as a recognised breed.

Was the bitch a pet and the person pimped it out?

No, it was a true love from the first butt sniff. Him being a pure bred aristocratic Bishon Friese, and her a simple country Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. But they fell for each other at a house party and their passion produced several cute little bundles of joy.

486116.jpg

No, it was a true love from the first butt sniff. Him being a pure bred aristocratic Bishon Friese, and her a simple country Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. But they fell for each other at a house party and their passion produced several cute little bundles of joy.

486116.jpg

So an irresponsible litter then, at any rate the person you bought your Cav x from should’ve had her spayed but no, let her get preggers at a house party. Well done to all. Still doesn’t change the fact you paid for a designer dog mix and this is something that perpetuates the ongoing issues with puppy farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I have a cavachon, sought advice here five years ago and was told to go to a rescue instead. That didn't work, so I paid for her. She's a wonderful dog but I'm dubious about her parentage. My girl is spayed. If I get another, I'll purchase it from a UK breeder who I know is passionate about the health of her dogs and their pups. If you'd like details, PM me. You'd be talking £1000 and a year's wait.

If you're prepared to spend a grand, why don't you first search around more shelters around Ireland and look properly for a dog that is small, child-friendly/good-natured. I'm sure there are plenty. Really. With good history. It'll probably cost no more than €100 and you can give the other €900 to a dog charity or some charity.
    Failing that just buy the kids some cool toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I have a cavachon, sought advice here five years ago and was told to go to a rescue instead. That didn't work, so I paid for her. She's a wonderful dog but I'm dubious about her parentage. My girl is spayed. If I get another, I'll purchase it from a UK breeder who I know is passionate about the health of her dogs and their pups. If you'd like details, PM me. You'd be talking £1000 and a year's wait.

Thank you for answering the OP and giving an honest opinion. I would be surprised if anyone requesting a certain breed on here did not consider the rescue option firstly.

OP good luck with your search

• Advertisement

€1000 for a cross. :eek:

I don't charge that for high quality pedigree dogs. Health tested & fit for function. Anyone paying that for a non descript cross needs their head examined.

Knine wrote: »
    €1000 for a cross. :eek:

I don't charge that for high quality pedigree dogs. Health tested & fit for function. Anyone paying that for a non descript cross needs their head examined.

You don't know the lady in question, the amount of examinations she has done on both parents and the amount of care she puts into socialisation and the upbringing of her puppies. She limits the number of litters each cavalier carries and is rigorous in aftercare.
    They are high quality F1 pups, health tested and fit. I think the high price is partly to make sure no idiots apply. She doesn't take deposits but insists on meeting the would-be owners in person.
    I refer again to Golden Retrievers - a relatively new breed that contains genes from many other pedigree dogs. We, or some of us, have become fixated, glued to the spot regarding animal pedigrees. The dogs are suffering as a result.

You don't know the lady in question, the amount of examinations she has done on both parents and the amount of care she puts into socialisation and the upbringing of her puppies. She limits the number of litters each cavalier carries and is rigorous in aftercare.
    They are high quality F1 pups, health tested and fit. I think the high price is partly to make sure no idiots apply. She doesn't take deposits but insists on meeting the would-be owners in person.
    I refer again to Golden Retrievers - a relatively new breed that contains genes from many other pedigree dogs. We, or some of us, have become fixated, glued to the spot regarding animal pedigrees. The dogs are suffering as a result.

High Quality? Says who? When I say high quality I am talking about dogs assessed by professionals who have to spend many years studying & doing exams.

She charges such high prices because she is a Greeder! Who guarantees the background of these dogs?

I don't need to know the lady to be honest as the prices she charges & the fact they are crosses says it all. Anyone paying that money for a cross needs their head examined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

What's meant by the word "greeder"? First glance it means greedy breeder?

emo72 wrote: »
    What's meant by the word "greeder"? First glance it means greedy breeder?

Spot on... they breed for greed

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    High Quality? Says who? When I say high quality I am talking about dogs assessed by professionals who have to spend many years studying & doing exams.

She charges such high prices because she is a Greeder! Who guarantees the background of these dogs?

I don't need to know the lady to be honest as the prices she charges & the fact they are crosses says it all. Anyone paying that money for a cross needs their head examined!

That's not very courteous, given that you don't know anything at all about the individual or her dogs. And a cross from properly accredited parents can have vigour. There's no need to be abusive to her. She knows about this thread and may well read it. When I say high quality, I am also referring to fully health assessed in all aspects by specialist veterinary professionals.
    This is the kind of attitude that really turns me off this forum from time to time. I don't know what breed you are specialising in, but I wouldn't dismiss it or you without a great deal of information. Certainly not out of hand. I think I'll stop there before I start to earn myself a yellow card.

That's not very courteous, given that you don't know anything at all about the individual or her dogs. And a cross from properly accredited parents can have vigour. There's no need to be abusive to her. She knows about this thread and may well read it. When I say high quality, I am also referring to fully health assessed in all aspects by specialist veterinary professionals.
    This is the kind of attitude that really turns me off this forum from time to time. I don't know what breed you are specialising in, but I wouldn't dismiss it or you without a great deal of information. Certainly not out of hand. I think I'll stop there before I start to earn myself a yellow card.

Get off your soapbox! Where was I abusive? Being honest about daylight Robbery?

What does it matter what breed I have because my point is that it is a Breed not a cross! Let her read the thread! It won't change my opinion! Absolute Greeder!

1k. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks, dial it back please. There's no reason why this discussion can't be civil, interesting, and educational. You don't have to agree with one another, but you all need to be respectful towards one another.
    No more sniping at each other please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

When I say high quality, I am also referring to fully health assessed in all aspects by specialist veterinary professionals.

Hi Dubl07!

Can I ask what health checks she carries out? :)

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Hi Dubl07!

Can I ask what health checks she carries out? :)

The lady in question has a degree in genetic sciences and almost 30 years of KC breeding experience. Tests include dna, eyes, heart. Syringomelia MRI details. Extensive records of any health issues of her lines. Probably more, but I'm busy and can't remember.

The lady in question has a degree in genetic sciences and almost 30 years of KC breeding experience. Tests include dna, eyes, heart. Syringomelia MRI details. Extensive records of any health issues of her lines. Probably more, but I'm busy and can't remember.

The Kennel Club do not allow cross breeding. It is in our Code of ethics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

‘Designer cross breed’ = overpriced mongrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I suppose the rise of the designer cross breeds is bad news for the kennel club? Less and less registrations, and people no longer interested in pure bred dogs with papers. The rise of the cross breeds really is huge, everyone seems to be getting them. Dogs that used to be popular like the Scottish terrier are now endangered, less and less demand for them, breeders aren't breeding them as much.

Funny thing is, who decides what a pure bred dog is? To me, it seems that they chose the standards for breeds years ago and that's it. No new breeds come along. Interesting thread.

I think the issue is that a cross breed that isn’t recognised by official bodies that regulate breeds & standards of such are being bred by everyone & anyone. There is no standard, no consistency and no recognition, they are bred for one reason only, the teddy bear face, they are a designer breed, nothing more.

The fact that there is a waiting list & the ‘breeder’ doesn’t take a deposit doesn’t mean anything other than she’s relying on the demand, which is not a difficult thing especially with the insta generation.

emo72 wrote: »
    I suppose the rise of the designer cross breeds is bad news for the kennel club? Less and less registrations, and people no longer interested in pure bred dogs with papers. The rise of the cross breeds really is huge, everyone seems to be getting them. Dogs that used to be popular like the Scottish terrier are now endangered, less and less demand for them, breeders aren't breeding them as much.

Funny thing is, who decides what a pure bred dog is? To me, it seems that they chose the standards for breeds years ago and that's it. No new breeds come along. Interesting thread.

Actually no. I am a breed Representative for them! The main registration issue is puppy farmers that register & yes it happens, health issues & DNA testing & these new non dog friendly regulations being brought in. I am at most of the meetings.

If you look at Irelands popular websites you will now see lower & lower prices for these crosses as people are getting wise to it. Also many have temperament issues & their coats are a nightmare.

I am on a camping site at the moment. There is lots of pedigree dogs here but only 1 of these crosses & it has been causing problems including attacking my dogs! It seems the owner is as Careless as the people who breed them.

Scottish Terriers are rare because they are not an easy breed to manage & too much for the average Pet Owner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement