Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My rights under the 2004 - 2016 tenancy rights in 2019

Options
  • 22-07-2019 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question but if my last lease renewal fell under the 2004 - 2016 tenancy rights agreement will this still apply even though there have been major changes in 2019?

So just to understand on my end you can only get into a lease agreement under the 2019 rights if you are a new tenant?

My lease is up in 3 months and just want to know what my rights are in 2019 and if I should be aware of anything.

In our last renewal our landlord increased the rent by 4% so she can increase by this again yes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Just an update. My landlord contacted me regarding renewing our lease. We are in a 15 month contract but she thought it was 12 months. Can she do a lease for 9 months just to add up the year total. I take it you cant sign a new lease or have it over lapping with one that is already active?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't need to sign a new lease at all. You have Part IV rights already, and realistically a new lease is handing over your ability to give notice in return for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

We are happy where we are for the next year and will like the comfort of knowing our landlord cant give us notice of sale or anything till the lease is up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

DarraghR wrote: »
    Just an update. My landlord contacted me regarding renewing our lease. We are in a 15 month contract but she thought it was 12 months. Can she do a lease for 9 months just to add up the year total. I take it you cant sign a new lease or have it over lapping with one that is already active?

You and the landlord can mutually agree to terminate your existing fixed term lease and begin a new one at any time, as long as you both choose to. Neither party can unilaterally change the terms of the fixed term lease or terminate it early (other than provided for in the lease agreement itself or by statute, e.g. refusal of assignment by the landlord or breach of responsibilities by the tenant), but it's fine if both parties mutually agree to a change or a termination.

Signing a new nine-month lease after your current one ends is also fine; there's no legal limit to how short or long a fixed term lease can be as long as both parties are willing to agree to the term.

Advertisement