Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beers 27th July

Will ye be chitting in the bushes so? I live in Cork but I might make my way up to have a sniff with a few Q-Tips if ye are. Take a few samples as it were. See how much turf sticks to the cotton, that kind of thing.
    I live not too far away, so if we don't end up heading to Coppers, I fear for the toxic smell of Guinness farts in my house on Sunday morning; the sour aroma, streaks and flecks of human excreta that could destroy the downstairs privy.

Actually, if anyone genuinely is worried about lack of toilet facilities, if we plan it around a part of the canal just near The Barge, they're more than accommodating with local drinkers using their toilets, just buy a drink at the bar, or a packet of crisps.

Is it actually going to be cans at the canal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

That’s the plan yup. No need to get dressed up for going out, get to spend time outside, and did I mention I’m bringing an adorable puppy?

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    That’s the plan yup. No need to get dressed up for going out, get to spend time outside, and did I mention I’m bringing an adorable puppy?

Hmm *scratches chin*

It's more of a "chat by the river" meet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Sounds like start of a bad serial killer movie

Dont follow anyone into a creepy building

The WhatsApp group is called Cans by the Canal... send me your number if you wanna be added to it (that goes for everyone, really)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What type of puppy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Be curious to hear how this goes in the end!

quickbeam wrote: »
    What type of puppy?

This exact puppy (but she’s a little bigger now, I haven’t updated this in a while) She’s a pughuahua.

https://instagram.com/the_sparkmeister?igshid=g6ky05sdoaot

Yes, I set my puppy up her own Instagram account. And what of it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ah cute!

Uhh yes it is, Kiki is bringing her puppy, I'm bringing my BMX so we can do tricks off the benches and break our arms and stuff. You'd better come.

Also, if anyone who hasn't commented is thinking of coming but doesn't know anyone else, I don't think I know anyone who's coming either. I'll meet anyone who doesn't want to come up to a group and introduce themselves first, and I'm sure Kikilarue or someone else will do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Be curious to hear how this goes in the end!

Hopefully someone will get an auld siagín out of it anyway

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Really looking forward to this...:)

See y’all tomorrow!! :cool::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Someone should re-reg in real life. Arrive and be like “hi I’m X” and then come back a few mins later and pretend to be someone else

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this...:)

See y’all tomorrow!! :cool::D

Yay. Always been curious about you, Jupiter.

What time is kick-off? We should probably start reasonably early in order to allow people to get the Luas or, you know, early entry into Coppers or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have a great night guys. I'd go but I'm working tomorrow night. Maybe the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Can those of us who are a bit long in the tooth for going on the knack just go to the Barge?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Can those of us who are a bit long in the tooth for going on the knack just go to the Barge?

Oh yes, for sure. That's why the Barge is so ideal, it suits people who want to sit down and be civilised by the door, as well as the ruffians who want to skull their (our) cans by the canal.

The Barge can be a bit out of the way, but it's such a special spot for summer drinks in Dublin, I hope anyone who is tempted to come along does come.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yay. Always been curious about you, Jupiter.

What time is kick-off? We should probably start reasonably early in order to allow people to get the Luas or, you know, early entry into Coppers or whatever.

PMed you Mr Militant Tyrant. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've been misreading this as ''cans and the anal'' and was totally on board for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've been misreading this as ''cans and the anal'' and was totally on board for it.
    Well, alcohol is regarded as a social ‘lubricant’ so things should work out(or in) okay ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I was just in Dublin a couple of weeks ago so that's quite enough Dublin for me for a while but enjoy yourselves might catch ye next time!

Right, so it looks like it's going to be a fairly small gathering - meeting by the canal just opposite the Barge so you can choose for yourself if you'd rather buy drinks from the pub or bring them yourself.

It's a lovely spot to sit out and enjoy an evening.

If you want to come, message me and I'll add you to the Whatsapp group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Aw , I hope ye have a great meet up folks , sounds like the perfect evening , informal and relaxed , enjoy !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I'm on board
    Pints though not cans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jupiterkid just gave me a heads up about it, I hadn't followed the thread and have a prior arrangement this evening.

If there's anyone devilishly handsome who wants to pretend they're me fire away :)

Have a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

What time is this on at? Sorry, only just after seeing the thread!

Garzard wrote: »
    What time is this on at? Sorry, only just after seeing the thread!
    8 bells. I should be there at exactly 8 o'clock but obviously come whenever you can; I'd say we'll be there or thereabouts for a good while. If we move anywhere we'll update the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Have a great night folks.

If I was still living in Dublin I would have loved to come along for the laugh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If I didn't live on the other side of the country I probably would have gone, but fair play guys for being up for a bit of actual real life interaction.

Hopefully you'll all have a night you'll never remember!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was just in Dublin a couple of weeks ago so that's quite enough Dublin for me for a while but enjoy yourselves might catch ye next time!

Next wilderness streaking beers I'm there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

8 bells. I should be there at exactly 8 o'clock but obviously come whenever you can; I'd say we'll be there or thereabouts for a good while. If we move anywhere we'll update the thread.

Can someone take photos please :)

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Can someone take photos please :)
    We should do a live feed - watch people from the Internet have drinks in rea life. It's not quite Love Island is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

We could have the script for the next Hangover movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

We should do a live feed - watch people from the Internet have drinks in rea life. It's not quite Love Island is it?

Sounds just as sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Shame there was such short notice, I wouldn't have minded meeting up for a few scoops.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Shame there was such short notice, I wouldn't have minded meeting up for a few scoops.

Well perhaps we can revive the tradition and do it again soon.

I can confirm that everyone who turned up is sound :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Odhinn wrote: »

Well perhaps we can revive the tradition and do it again soon.

I can confirm that everyone who turned up is sound :)
    Ooohhh.. Spill more..
    Get them drunk and divulge their secrets...

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Who shifted who?

No shifting by the time I left about 15 minutes ago!

But we did discuss cuddling, and the biological need for it.

Other conversation topics included:

- The puppy (there should be one at all social occasions)
    - Immigration (yeah, we went there)
    - Our respective jobs (very interesting mix!)
    - Parenthood
    - Abortion
    - Townies vs culchies

And lots more.

It was really nice to put some faces to names, and we are hoping to do another one a month from now that will be a bigger night out, hopefully with lots more boardsies.

It's a bit nice that that was a pretty small gathering, it was a good size group to get to know people a bit in real life, everyone working in completely different sectors and all with their own interesting back-stories and interests. All very uplifting.

That's my boards beers virginity broken and I couldn't do it with nicer people. Definitely recommend the next one if anyone is at all hesitant. You can never have too many friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Who shifted who?

No shifting by the time I left about 15 minutes ago!

But we did discuss cuddling, and the biological need for it.

Other conversation topics included:

- The puppy (there should be one at all social occasions)
    - Immigration (yeah, we went there)
    - Our respective jobs (very interesting mix!)
    - Parenthood
    - Abortion
    - Townies vs culchies

And lots more.

It was really nice to put some faces to names, and we are hoping to do another one a month from now that will be a bigger night out, hopefully with lots more boardsies.

Your puppy can be our new mascot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

Glad it went well, hopefully make the next one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Nice to meet you folks, new and old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What was the age range of people there, puppy included in dog years of course.

Mid 20s to late 30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Mid 20s to late 30s

That's telling imo, it would be interesting if an accurate cross section of AH actually did meet up.

Mid 20s to late 30s

That's telling imo, it would be interesting if an accurate cross section of AH actually did meet up.

I’d say a lot of posters (especially the ones based in Dublin) fall into that category.

Most older boardsies probably have family commitments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If I'd showed up I could have skewed ten years upwards :eek: :D