Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning Relating to Child Abuse

Options
  • 23-07-2019 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Good morning,

I was given a warning by Parenting Forum Mod Dravokivich on July 12th, the posts which relate to the warning can be found here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110670468&postcount=74

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110672238&postcount=76

I asked Dravokivich why I had received this warning, and the response was that my post was condoning Child Abuse. I was (quite understandably I would think) quite annoyed about this, I messaged the mod to clearly let them know that I was pissed off about this, but also mentioned that I had no intention of taking things further.

Since then I noticed that the warning had an expiry date associated with it, something which I am not familiar with. I subsequently asked the mod three times if they could please clarify what this meant, but I have not received any response whatsoever in the meantime.

To compound this, I have also noticed this post, which is in response to the same OP, and on the same topic more or less:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110727768&postcount=14

In my opinion this post is more worthy of a warning than my own, but has been sitting there for nearly a week without any infraction whatsoever.

So, summarizing, I am pissed off that the mod has refused to engage with me, despite me asking three times for clarification, and I am also pissed off that my post receives a sanction while others can post in an aggressive manner without any consequence.

Thank you. Skallywag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First, the actions of other posters are not up for discussion here. The DRP forum is for your own actions only.

An expiry date means that any points associated with a warning expire after on the date. The warning note will stay on your record however.

Lastly, you say that you did not originally intend to dispute the mod action. Is that still correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

dudara wrote: »
    First, the actions of other posters are not up for discussion here. The DRP forum is for your own actions only.

Regardless of the purpose of the DRP forum, if the other poster who I cited does not get a warning for posting in a manner which is obviously more tending towards Child Abuse than my own, then I believe I am perfectly entitled to have a grievance with this.

If it is more correct to air this grievance in a different forum, rather than this one, then fair enough. I would be grateful if you could point me towards it.
    An expiry date means that any points associated with a warning expire after on the date. The warning note will stay on your record however.

Thank you for this explanation, it would have been nice to receive this from the mod who I contacted three time asking the same question.

Nonetheless I still do not understand the consequences here. Can you please tell me what 'any points associated with a warning' means?
    Lastly, you say that you did not originally intend to dispute the mod action. Is that still correct?

That is correct, I had not originally wished to open a dispute. The landscape has now changed though and I do wish to dispute the mod action.

skallywag wrote: »
    Regardless of the purpose of the DRP forum, if the other poster who I cited does not get a warning for posting in a manner which is obviously more tending towards Child Abuse than my own, then I believe I am perfectly entitled to have a grievance with this.

If it is more correct to air this grievance in a different forum, rather than this one, then fair enough. I would be grateful if you could point me towards it.

We always first recommend having an actual conversation with the Mod or CMod. Alternatively you can use the Help Desk.
    Thank you for this explanation, it would have been nice to receive this from the mod who I contacted three time asking the same question.

Nonetheless I still do not understand the consequences here. Can you please tell me what 'any points associated with a warning' means?

I can’t comment on why the mod didn’t reply as I don’t know the circumstances.

The points system is part of the vBulletin functionality. Different mod actions have points associated them and offers the ability to tot up a poster’s offenses. To the best of my knowledge, we don’t use this native functionality on Boards. Some forums eg Soccer, have manual means of tracking a poster’s infringements.
    That is correct, I had not originally wished to open a dispute. The landscape has now changed though and I do wish to dispute the mod action.

The first step is to attempt to resolve the issue with the mod in question. Have you raised the fact that you wish to dispute the infraction with the mod?

The first step is to attempt to resolve the issue with the mod in question. Have you raised the fact that you wish to dispute the infraction with the mod?

I messaged Dravokivich to make it clear that I was highly pissed off with been issued a warning for Child Abuse, although I did not initially begin an official dispute.

I merely wanted to know what happens when the warning which I received expires. Up until you were kind enough to explain this to me I genuinely had no idea what this meant. E.g. maybe the infraction would have expired with it (which I now know not to be the case), I simply did not know. If the infraction itself did indeed erase itself once this expiry date had passed then I would have gladly just let things go, as it was due to expire just 10 days after the warning was issued.

Hence I asked, and asked, and asked a third time, with the last one actually including a plea for Dravokivich to please engage with me, and attempt to clarify.

I understand that people need time to respond, but these messages were exchanged from July 12th to July 21st, with no response whatsoever.

Considering this I do not see how any further engagement with the mod is going to help, Dravokivich has clearly no interest in engaging with me.

Please give it one more go, making clear that you wish to dispute the infraction (you can reference him to this DRP thread).

If nothing comes of that, let me know and I’ll get a CMod involved.

• Advertisement

Please give it one more go....

With all due respect Dudara, no, I will not.

I made three attempts already to try to get clarity on the warning that I was given, and I am not going to just fire off another 'please talk to me Dravokivich' message, I have more self respect than that. He has made it pretty clear he has no interest in engaging with me, and at some point I just need to say enough is enough.

Thanks to you at least for giving me the time of day and explaining the expiry/points thing. The warning itself did not sit comfortably with me at all, being told in block capitals that you have been warned for Child Abuse is something which would not sit well with most people I suppose. I guess you can take a look to the post in question yourself, if you are interested, and draw your own conclusions on whether it should be considered condoning Child Abuse or not.

In any case I have nothing more to say on this matter as it is clearly going to go no further unless I keep begging the mod to engage with me.

You can close this thread.

If the mods here have nothing to add to my above post, then just close it. Not with a 'Resolved' by the way, because it was not resolved.

Just delete it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement