Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Help!!!! wrote: »
    OK so we move out, to where? Live on the street or hotel/B&B?
    That isn't fixing the problem
    Giving the person less well off a house IS fixing the problem

It's your solution. Therefore the problems caused from it are yours too. You tell me :confused:

A lot Irish people living in emergency accommodation would take a HAP sponsored house in a heart beat.

You say no migrant should be housed with help from the state ahead of any Irish person, but you openly admitted to been housed with help from the state with your migrant partner.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Odhinn wrote: »
    India isn't exactly harmonious with christians and muslims either.

Not getting involved in rest of the discussion, but this is factually wrong. India has more Christians than Ireland (around 29 million actually) and some 171 million Muslims. Only a very small fraction of them would have faced challenges, and that's probably a same percentage as number of any other religious / non-religious group in India. I am not suggesting some media reports are fake news or anything, it's a skewed view given how large the country is, that's all.

Pakistanis cant' seek asylum in India as far as I know because there isn't a lot of distrust between the countries. Bangladeshis on the other hand are migrating to India (mostly illegally) in millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Boggles wrote: »
    It's your solution. Therefore the problems caused from it are yours too. You tell me :confused:

A lot Irish people living in emergency accommodation would take a HAP sponsored house in a heart beat.

You say no migrant should be housed with help from the state ahead of any Irish person, but you openly admitted to been housed with help from the state with your migrant partner.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?

Nope I never said that
    There are plenty of migrants on the housing list but the 'refugees' get to the top quicker
    Can you not tell the difference between migrant, refugee, asylum claimant and economic migrant? Or is it you think they are all 'brown'?
    So a migrant married to an Irish person is less than an Irish person in your eyes? That would be quite a racist way to think would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

The EU is the power house now. We benefits a lot from being part of it.
    We have very little leverage to fight back migrant resettlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

shrewd wrote: »
    The EU is the power house now. We benefits a lot from being part of it.
    We have very little leverage to fight back migrant resettlement.

As i have said already, we can look at this as being forced upon us or we can look at it as us doing our part. Doesn't mean we don't get a say on who we take but we must take people in.

Thats what being in the EU is all about and them supporting us on Brexit ect, we are in a position where we have had allot of power that we would not have had in the past.

If they throw us under the bus then we possibly can re-evaluate that but right now its more about us showing solidarity with a group that are supporting us.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    As i have said already, we can look at this as being forced upon us or we can look at it as us doing our part. Doesn't mean we don't get a say on who we take but we must take people in.

Thats what being in the EU is all about and them supporting us on Brexit ect, we are in a position where we have had allot of power that we would not have had in the past.

If they throw us under the bus then we possibly can re-evaluate that but right now its more about us showing solidarity with a group that are supporting us.

OK we can do our bit but shoving them into accommodation in areas without the infrastructure is wrong, not consulting with or letting the locals know about it is wrong, so is doing it during the night, theres something sinister about the whole thing
    Dont worry once the UK leaves we will be bent over first before being thrown under the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Those are well known, documented and are available to irish citizens.

It's true and anyone can deny and lie by claiming it didn't happen , Well it did happen just because you or anyone else don't agree doesn't mean it didn't happen .

Nope I never said that

You described your Syrian Neighbors, with their brand new house and 13k as an immigrant family.
    There are plenty of migrants on the housing list but the 'refugees' get to the top quicker

Link?

So a migrant married to an Irish person is less than an Irish person in your eyes?

Well no I think all people are inherently equal.

It's you who think migrants should not be favored ahead of Irish people.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but then again I'm not living in a state sponsored house with a migrant pontificating about migrants.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

So there are no refugees living near you? Maybe open your eyes & you will see

Or the ears maybe. You’d have to think he isn’t graced with that many in his locale, and whilst some are blissfully oblivious some are just colourblind but here I am in one of the most established suburbs in Ireland and maybe they are just louder than most but with this warm front opening windows I could well be in Africa.

It’s also when those we assume to be irish reveal themselves to be east european but then they are within union. Anyway lets just say that it don’t sound like home.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Calhoun wrote:
    Time for an Irexit referendum if that is being forced upon us.
    The EU are not helping us with Brexit, it's been made very clear that we are going to get screwed.

• Advertisement

You described your Syrian Neighbors, with their brand new house and 13k as an immigrant family.

Link?

Well no I think all people are inherently equal.

It's you who think migrants should not be favored ahead of Irish people.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but then again I'm not living in a state sponsored house with a migrant pontificating about migrants.

:p

As I have said before I have no problem with migrants coming legally & working here paying their taxes
    The Syrians are 'refugees' who are pushed to the top of the housing list & you know that so stop playing games
    There are plenty of Polish, Lithuanian, English, African on housing lists
    Again no one should be pushed ahead in the Q

OK we can do our bit but shoving them into accommodation in areas without the infrastructure is wrong, not consulting with or letting the locals know about it is wrong, so is doing it during the night, theres something sinister about the whole thing
    Dont worry once the UK leaves we will be bent over first before being thrown under the bus

Just because our own internal government has handled this in a piss poor manner does not mean we should not contribute.

I agree the current system is bad especially the decisions to use local hotels even though self purpose centers existed in towns because small hoteliers want to make bank.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Time for an Irexit referendum if that is being forced upon us.
    The EU are not helping us with Brexit, it's been made very clear that we are going to get screwed.

Until that happens which i don't think it will as we have seen signs of support from governments and if they screw over us it will be the signal to the right and left in europe that other countries could be screwed to save the core block.

Its not just us that have land disputes with the UK, Spain ect also does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So why can't the shia in Pakistan seek asylum in Iran? That's a shia country and a lot nearer to Pakistan than Ireland anyway the majority of Pakistanis I've met here in Ireland are Sunni.

Anywhere but here, eh?

Gatling wrote: »
    It's true and anyone can deny and lie by claiming it didn't happen , Well it did happen just because you or anyone else don't agree doesn't mean it didn't happen .

We've already agreed that some payments are accessible to the public. However nobody has produced any evidence for payments for cars, or large payments exclusive to asylum seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Anywhere but here, eh?

Yes in a way we should be looking out for own interests and no others. It's common sense surely to seek asylum in nearby countries with similar cultures. If a war was to break out in Ireland where would you be more likely to seek asylum England or Pakistan?

Of course I nearly forgot common sense is not something you people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I know of nobody (who pays taxes) who wants this.

We've already agreed that some payments are accessible to the public. However nobody has produced any evidence for payments for cars, or large payments exclusive to asylum seekers.

You still havent explained how the asylum seekers end up getting cars within weeks of being housed
    Maybe Leprechaun's are real;)

Some will be round in a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ahh there are though. They mostly live in areas that migrants are completely priced out of, drink in pubs, eat in restaurants and shop in areas migrants are under represented at the moment anyway and live in a nice little bubble where the only 'brown' people they have ever met are the wealthy arab children their kids attend private school with.

Who would have an issue with islam if ahmed the son of a billionaire oil sheikh is your only experience of islam.

• Advertisement

You still havent explained how the asylum seekers end up getting cars within weeks of being housed

That's because I've no evidence that they got the cars in the first place. If theres a specific grant, somebody could surely put a name to it. There is such a thing as an Exceptional needs payment, but thats available to everyone.

ahh there are though. They mostly live in areas that migrants are completely priced out of, drink in pubs, eat in restaurants and shop in areas migrants are under represented at the moment anyway and live in a nice little bubble where the only 'brown' people they have ever met are the wealthy arab children their kids attend private school with.

Who would have an issue with islam if ahmed the son of a billionaire oil sheikh is your only experience of islam.

You forget the 'brown' people down the local curry house who cook their tikka masala when they feel a bit naughty & want a bit of cultural diversity

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You forget the 'brown' people down the local curry house who cook their tikka masala when they feel a bit naughty & want a bit of cultural diversity

takeaway and the au pair opens the door to collect it, as far as theyre concerned, nevin maguire invented popadoms.

I pay taxes, allot actually for very little return. There are two direct provision centers within 20 minutes of where i live. Its in the midlands which is much cheaper than Dublin and there are allot of people around.

I am not for this measure as it stands because of how our government currently handles it but even i understand we have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Could we ship out a few thousand locals while were at it. Like a swapping system our low lifes for people.who.would appreciate the country its people and it's laws better !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

You can get a car for a few hundred. I would question how car insurance is paid for. No history of driving, old banger (old Renault for mammy or X trail for daddy) raises red flags for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yes in a way we should be looking out for own interests and no others. It's common sense surely to seek asylum in nearby countries with similar cultures. If a war was to break out in Ireland where would you be more likely to seek asylum England or Pakistan?

Of course I nearly forgot common sense is not something you people do.

Whats the scratcher like in Pakistan? It'd wanna be top notch for me to consider it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

enricoh wrote: »
    Whats the scratcher like in Pakistan? It'd wanna be top notch for me to consider it!

I hear the DP centres out there are supposed to be class would be a tough call between them and Nigeria

As I have said before I have no problem with migrants coming legally & working here paying their taxes

Asylum seekers were precluded from working up until quite recently.

So does that mean you have no problem with them now?

All though the barriers for employment would be quite high living remotely in a DP, I imagine.

The fictional car grant may not be a bad idea.
    The Syrians are 'refugees' who are pushed to the top of the housing list & you know that so stop playing games

Well no, your Syrian neighbors were asylum seekers who have been given permission to stay.

As for the pushed to the top of the housing list we are still awaiting your proof of that claim, something tangible, surely it has be buried in some published policy document or media report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They don't recognize Refugees plus they are complete bastards.

The Donald is a big fan.

But, To say Syrians neighbors don't take in refugees is complete and utter nonsense.

Yes fair dues Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and indeed Iraq with it's own huge problems have taken Syrians in because they are right next door.
    But look at a slightly bigger picture and you find some of the richest states in the world like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, UAE haven't exactly thrown the welcome matt out and countries the far side of Europe are meant to.

Also once again stop trying to conflate migrants, asylum seekers with Syrian refugees

I know it is a stock approach from some as it tugs at the heart strings, but it is highly disingenous.

IMHO there are lot of younger Irish people that have grown up in an environment and probably more importantly studied and worked in environments where there are lots of foreigners and lots of non Irish.
    Fair enough we were due some much needed new blood in Ireland.

If you work in the likes of Facebook, HP, Microsoft then yes you might have a rosey view of the world and all it's inhabitants.

But just because you know loads of guys from say India, Pakistan or Jordan that are cool, well educated and culturally fairly open doesn't mean the next batch of migrants you receive from that neck of the woods will be the same.
    Hell I have even known very educated Pakistanis that would make the most backward mysognistic Irish guy look like an enlightened progressive.

And the ones that are making their way into Europe illegally from Asia, Middle East, Africa are usually the uneducated, unskilled and definitely not very culturally open minded and most definitely often criminals.

We are sowing the seeds for more of what has been experienced in certain European countries over the last two decades or so, not to mention the serious strain being put on state resources by a huge chunk of people not adding anything but only taking.

I think we are already seeing a backlash with the rise of right wing politicians in certain states and it is probably going to get worse with increasing unemployment for lower skilled people due to rise in globalisation and automation.

The way to help the people in these countries is not to import them into a Western European country, but to finally drag their home countries into the 20th century.
    Turning everywhere into a shytehole doesn't help the actual shyteholes there already.

But that doesn't often suit the real powers, the industrialists, the corporate shareholders, the political and military classes harping back to the days of empires and flexing ones might by domination of poorer asset rich states, nor the NGOs who need to feel superior.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement