Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, a holiday camp for years where all the amusements have been closed down.

Sounds like great craic!

Mosney has a huge amount of facilities for the residents

I’d gladly live there with my family including 2 kids under 10

Better facilities than my small village in Wicklow.

This little country should stop beating itself up over migrants and the treatment they get

We are head n shoulders over the like of Uk or americans and we have nothing like their resources

All told we provide them a nice life while they wait for their case to be decided

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mosney has a huge amount of facilities for the residents

I’d gladly live there with my family including 2 kids under 10

You'd gladly share one bedroom with your partner and 2 kids for years?

I wouldn't, I wouldn't give a shít if they a big wheel and the bumpers.

Any chance of name of those viable alternative parties?

Google isn't been a friend to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If anything I’d say we need to be careful not to go overboard on how well we treat the asylum seekers over n above the Irish as it causes lot of friction and can lead to resentment. We need to guard against that happening.

If anything I’d say we need to be careful not to go overboard on how well we treat the asylum seekers over n above the Irish as it causes lot of friction and can lead to resentment. We need to guard against that happening.

I imagine if we threw them all in to a gated field there would be certain members (tiny amount) of our society that would begrudge them that.

I mean how low does the bar have to be set to cater for this basket of individuals? It's a tough one.

For instance I know of at least one Irish family who would gladly stay for years in one bedroom in a converted park.

Or so the father has been claiming online. Can't imagine his Missus or kids being thrilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You'd gladly share one bedroom with your partner and 2 kids for years?

I wouldn't, I wouldn't give a shif they a big wheel and the bumpers.

Any chance of name of those viable alternative parties?

Google isn't been a friend to me.

Better than being marched into the desert at gunpoint by their African "brothers".
    Here in the desert, Algeria has abandoned more than 13,000 people in the past 14 months, including pregnant women and children, stranding them without food or water and forcing them to walk, sometimes at gunpoint, under temperatures of up to 118 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/algeria-abandons-13000-migrants-forced-sahara-desert-march/

• Advertisement

Better than being marched into the desert at gunpoint by their African "brothers".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/algeria-abandons-13000-migrants-forced-sahara-desert-march/

And certain people wonder why they are fleeing.

Again though it completely misses the point, keeping people in such conditions for years can have a deter-mental effect on not just them but society and services in general going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

All told we provide them a nice life while they wait for their case to be decided
    For the overwhelming vast majority of them, the minute they step foot on the Emerald Isle and claim asylum, their case has been de facto decided. Through the many, many (tax-payer-supported) legal appeals and then granted leave to remain decisions, it is a minuscule amount that don't get to stay here.

As we have seen in the news recently, some asylum seekers can lie through their teeth when applying for asylum here and still allowed to stay. Not only is this situation surreal, but it borders in the realm of the twilight zone. When those abroad are welfare shopping and hear about these decisions and the forgiving Irish authorities, it is no wonder that the number of asylum seekers coming to Ireland increased last year despite decreasing across the EU in general.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

It's no where as good as Sydney, but some surburbian Adelaide backwater, or the most remote major city in the world (Perth) isn't the same thing as Bondi. Some may also prefer Ldn so they can catch a train to Paris or fly a few mins to Amstm for the weekend.

Again lower points criteria, and a different occupation demand list means they aren't exactly comparable.

For six straight years Adelaide had been named in the top 5 of The Economist’s Global Liveability Index until 2018. Perth is also ranked highly every year. They are both fantastic Cities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Again though it completely misses the point, keeping people in such conditions for years can have a deter-mental effect on not just them but society and services in general going forward.

They are failed asylum seekers appealing again & again the only people they can blame are themselves & of course the NGO's, DP & Solicitors who encourage them to appeal so they can continue making €€€€€€€ of their suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Help!!!! wrote: »
    They are failed asylum seekers appealing again & again the only people they can blame are themselves & of course the NGO's, DP & Solicitors who encourage them to appeal so they can continue making €€€€€€€ of their suffering

Nobody needs to ‘encourage’ asylum seekers to appeal decisions. Either they believe they’ve a legitimate claim, which they’ll obviously pursue, or they’re attempting to use the asylum process as a proxy for economic migration - in which case they’ve still got an obvious motivation to appeal.

• Advertisement

Again I do wonder which well you get your information from.

There is literally 100s of people who have been granted refugee status still living in Direct Provision.

alastair wrote: »
    Nobody needs to ‘encourage’ asylum seekers to appeal decisions. Either they’ve a legitimate claim, which they’ll obviously pursue, or they’re attempting to use the asylum process as a proxy for economic migration - in which case they’ve still got an obvious motivation to appeal.

Decisions have been over turned on judicial review.

One or Two I have read, it was actually quite startling how ignorant the people making the decisions were. The Judge echoed this view.

Again I do wonder which well you get your information from.

There is literally 100s of people who have been granted refugee status still living in Direct Provision.

maybe so but there are a lot more using the system to stay, even though their asylum claim has been denied
    If they bogus asylum seekers were sent home quicker it would make things easier for the ones really needing out help
    Also where are they meant to go? We are in the middle of a homeless crisis

Decisions have been over turned on judicial review.

One or Two I have read, it was actually quite startling how ignorant the people making the decisions were. The Judge echoed this view.

Not disputing that - and obviously every instance of successful asylum appeal, protection status, and leave to remain, is going to encourage appeals. My point is that there’s no need for third parties (NGO’s, solicitors etc) to ‘encourage’ asylum seekers to use the appeals process. They’re highly likely to, as a consequence of their situation, regardless.

Not disputing that - and obviously every instance of successful asylum appeal, protection status, and leave to remain, is going to encourage appeals. My point is that there’s no need for third parties (NGO’s, solicitors etc) to ‘encourage’ asylum seekers to use the appeals process. They’re highly likely to, as a consequence of their situation, regardless.

But unfortunately those making money off the backs of these people dont want them to return to their own countries

But unfortunately those making money off the backs of these people dont want them to return to their own countries

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Liberia is an awful long way to Algeria!!

Nonsense.

If Ireland sorted out the asylum system in the morning their would be a lot of unhappy people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How can the ordinary man object to and try and stop this?
    Obviously without involving any right wing nut jobs.

Liberia is an awful long way to Algeria!!

& Africa is a hell of a lot bigger than some people seem to realise. How can they not find safe havens on their own continents?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

Well the left wing nut jobs haven't exactly put us in a great position

If Ireland sorted out the asylum system in the morning their would be a lot of unhappy people out there

Again - nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Does this mean we have to take back the 400,000 Irish people who have emigrated since 2012?
    Cos I’m not sure but I don’t think we even have that many couches never mind flats available

Again - nonsense.

Well thats your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

You can try and dissociate yourself all you like, but you know fine well you'll be lump in with the right regardless of how moderate your stance is.

Well thats your opinion

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

By saying nothing, Fine Gael will believe that the people are not objecting, and will further increase resettlement numbers.

You should express your displeasure by talking/contacting your local Fine Gael representative, and then contact the wider Fine Gael body. Pointless contacting Varadkar and Coveney, as they have their eyes on Brussels and nothing will stop them from enhancing their liberal credentials.
    And of course, come election time, do not vote for Fine Gael ..... and do everything you can to stop their candidates from getting elected.
    They have repeatedly lied to us since they got into power.

Kivaro wrote: »
    By saying nothing, Fine Gael will believe that the people are not objecting, and will further increase resettlement numbers.

You should express your displeasure by talking/contacting your local Fine Gael representative, and then contact the wider Fine Gael body. Pointless contacting Varadkar and Coveney, as they have their eyes on Brussels and nothing will stop them from enhancing their liberal credentials.
    And of course, come election time, do not vote for Fine Gael ..... and do everything you can to stop their candidates from getting elected.
    They have repeatedly lied to us since they got into power.

Almost every small town and village In Ireland have become ghost towns. There’s nobody there. If only we could find a way to house people either Irish or immigrant to bring these towns back to life and give them culture and integration and to the benefit of all

Almost every small town and village In Ireland have become ghost towns. There’s nobody there. If only we could find a way to house people either Irish or immigrant to bring these towns back to life and give them culture and integration and to the benefit of all

We should be making Ireland better so our own people can come home. There are plenty around the world who would love to come back but cant because of the way we are continually screwed by Governments.
    Get rid of these career politicians who have lost connection with the people they are meant to serve

• Advertisement

We should be making Ireland better so our own people can come home. There are plenty around the world who would love to come back but cant because of the way we are continually screwed by Governments.
    Get rid of these career politicians who have lost connection with the people they are meant to serve

I’d agree with your last comemnt but none come before it.
    Nobody I know overseas wants to come and exactly for the reason you said.

Advertisement