Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I’d agree with your last comemnt but none come before it.
    Nobody I know overseas wants to come and exactly for the reason you said.

Theres plenty who would if the standard of living here improved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Kivaro wrote: »
    By saying nothing, Fine Gael will believe that the people are not objecting, and will further increase resettlement numbers.

You should express your displeasure by talking/contacting your local Fine Gael representative, and then contact the wider Fine Gael body. Pointless contacting Varadkar and Coveney, as they have their eyes on Brussels and nothing will stop them from enhancing their liberal credentials.
    And of course, come election time, do not vote for Fine Gael ..... and do everything you can to stop their candidates from getting elected.
    They have repeatedly lied to us since they got into power.

Hell, even contact the so-called "opposition" parties. That should be concerning to all of us that there is essentially no opposition in the Dail. Nobody in there is to raise a voice of objection to Varadkar and FG's ruinous decisions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

As it happens He apparently was brought up with a very strong Indian Hindu cultural environment -pushed by his father.

Just some examples.

He is an expert in Indian politics and knows every party even the very small ones

He knows a huge amount about Hindu rituals

He is a big follower of cricket mainly due to his father’s influence over the years.

FYI I’m friendly with a good friend of his (non political) so that’s how I know the above.

So what side would he bat for ? Ireland or India 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Only as far as citizenship is concerned. His loyalty is not towards Ireland and the Irish.

A classic example of racism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Theres plenty who would if the standard of living here improved

Immigration and emigration have no bearing or influence on standard of living or income rates.
    So blaming immigrants coming here and we can’t Afford them is a nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

eagle eye wrote: »
    How can the ordinary man object to and try and stop this?
    Obviously without involving any right wing nut jobs.

The problem is that as soon as someone raises the topic of immigration they're instantly labeled as a right wing nut job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Immigration and emigration have no bearing or influence on standard of living or income rates.
    So blaming immigrants coming here and we can’t Afford them is a nonsense

Tbf surely an increase in labour supply will.cause wages to drop....its basics of supply/demand??

However the crying and objection from.these types when someone suggests living wage (say em e15 an hour) for everyone seems to undermine the credibility of this arguement imo

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

Is anyone againts stopping refugees comimg here until we can get our housing and health care situation sorted?

Mad idea i know...

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbf surely an increase in labour supply will.cause wages to drop....its basics of supply/demand??

However the crying and objection from.these types when someone suggests living wage (say em e15 an hour) for everyone seems to undermine the credibility of this arguement imo

We’re in a position where businesses close because Irish people won’t do the job so an Indian lad will to pay his way though college.
    We need those immigrants to shore up that corner of the economy despite many refusing to admit that’s the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Boggles wrote: »
    And certain people wonder why they are fleeing.
    Better than being marched into the desert at gunpoint by their African "brothers".
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/algeria...-desert-march/
    Again though it completely misses the point, keeping people in such conditions for years can have a deter-mental effect on not just them but society and services in general going forward.
    This is a sad story, but you seem to have misunderstood it.
    Its about people who have a poor but adequate lifestyle in Liberia being lured to Europe by the promise of an easy life, with every human need provided to them for free.
    But in order to get there, they must undertake a tough journey. The Sahara Desert and the Med sea being the two most dangerous obstacles.

These people, having crossed the Sahara once, and illegally entered Algeria, have been caught and deported by the Algerians. So they had to cross the Sahara a second time on their way home. These are the pregnant women, the weak, the sick and the slow.

The 20 year old males are much more likely to make it to Calais. These are the guys who will then be shipped on to our shores by the French under this "solidarity" arrangement which "we" have volunteered to sign up to.
    Its survival of the fittest. Those who rape and rob will make it. Those unfortunates who have been raped and robbed will not.
    But at least if they get back home alive they can count themselves luckier than those who perished, and they can tell their friends and relatives that its not as easy as the stories made it seem. Perhaps that will save some lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I would be in favor of no new refugees until we get our housing crisis under control

Does that make me a right wing nut job

Odhinn wrote: »
    A classic example of racism.

Classic example of "I can't defend my stance so I'll cry racism."

I would be in favor of no new refugees until we get our housing crisis under control

According to the Left wing Nut jobs? Yes, and a racist, xenophobic, islamaphobic ,bigot. And you're also a Nazi and "literally hitler."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Classic example of "I can't defend my stance so I'll cry racism."

You accuse him of disloyalty, based purely on his ancestry, which is a classic, time old bog standard bit of racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

We’re in a position where businesses close because Irish people won’t do the job so an Indian lad will to pay his way though college.
    We need those immigrants to shore up that corner of the economy despite many refusing to admit that’s the case.

Tbh...we dont really...i do love to see people getting on and payinh eay through college etc

And while not an anti immigration point...i do qurstion need for endless econmic expansion ehen half the people in country not earning enough as it is....business have it too good for too long with over supply of workers and its about time fruits of this econmic recovery went to the poorest in society

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

recedite wrote: »
    The Sahara Desert...

Its survival of the fittest. Those who rape and rob will make it.

The old rape your way across the desert method of survival.

Must have missed that particular episode of Bear Grylls.

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbh...we dont really...i do love to see people getting on and payinh eay through college etc

And while not an anti immigration point...i do qurstion need for endless econmic expansion ehen half the people in country not earning enough as it is....business have it too good for too long with over supply of workers and its about time fruits of this econmic recovery went to the poorest in society

Your problem there is with capitalism not immigration. And I agree with you by the way.

The old rape your way across the desert method of survival.
    Must have missed that particular episode of Bear Grylls.
    The woman in that newspaper story is in Niger, having failed to reach the Med. The best she can hope for now is to get back to her former life in Liberia. She has zero chance of getting EU asylum because she was not strong enough.
    And where is the father of the baby she lost? Probably on his way to a DP centre near you.

The woman in that newspaper story is in Niger, having failed to reach the Med.

Where does it say she tried to reach the Med? :confused:

She was expelled from Algeria.
    a Liberian who ran her own home business selling drinks and food in Algeria and was expelled in May.

The best she can hope for now is to get back to her former life in Liberia. She has zero chance of getting EU asylum because she was not strong enough.

Again where does it say she was heading for the EU?
    And where is the father of the baby she lost? Probably on his way to a DP centre near you.

Probably still in Algeria in all likelyhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    Is anyone againts stopping refugees comimg here until we can get our housing and health care situation sorted?

Mad idea i know...

We agreed to 4,000, so we should accept 4,000 genuine refugees.

We should not accept bogus AS, like the thousands of Asian men who illegally claimed asylum here, and entered into sham marriages.

• Advertisement

No.

A former housemate of mine said "put them all in a ship, and sink the ship in the ocean" - now that is not very nice.

But it is perfectly ok to support strict rules on non-EU immigration.

Anytime I pass a Turkish barbers I wonder how they got into the country.

Geuze wrote: »
    No.

A former housemate of mine said "put them all in a ship, and sink the ship in the ocean" - now that is not very nice.

But it is perfectly ok to support strict rules on non-EU immigration.

Anytime I pass a Turkish barbers I wonder how they got into the country.

I wonder the same when I pass Irish pubs all over the world.
    Including one in the middle of the Amazon

Again where does it say she was heading for the EU?
    From the article...
    Algeria's mass expulsions have picked up since October 2017, as the European Union renewed pressure on North African countries to head off migrants going north to Europe via the Mediterranean Sea or the barrier fences with Spain. These migrants from across sub-Saharan Africa - Mali, the Gambia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Niger and more - are part of the mass migration toward Europe, some fleeing violence, others just hoping to make a living.
    Of course its possible (though unlikely) that migrants from sub-saharan Africa entering Algeria and the war zones of Libya are doing so because they like being badly treated, and not because they are using these countries as temporary staging posts to fulfill their main ambition of a touchdown on EU soil. A touchdown on EU soil is like winning the lottery for them.

I wonder the same when I pass Irish pubs all over the world.
    Including one in the middle of the Amazon

These pubs are either run by locals, or else Irish people with a visa to be in that country.

I wonder how Turkish barbers get a visa to work here - are we short of barbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Nope, again it's important to clarify and evaluate if all being recieved are actually 'genuine' and/or 'refugees'.

If it's shown that 90% fail the test, and that many coming in are not from Syria, then again they're simply 'economic migrants' (not refugees) who are seeking a handier life (a natural human condition).

This is a different matter altogether, essentially it's charity, and at the expense of genuine cases who need help (often abroad, at source) as they can't afford to pay the trafficking gangs thousands in the first instance.

Ireland already pays more than most in per head in charity and state overseas aid. The UK also pay millions in 'aid' to places to like India (who are busy spending it on moon landings), and growing at 6.6%GDP {2017}, that's triple the US annual growth rate.

From the article...Of course its possible (though unlikely) that migrants from sub-saharan Africa entering Algeria and the war zones of Libya are doing so because they like being badly treated, and not because they are using these countries as temporary staging posts to fulfill their main ambition of a touchdown on EU soil. A touchdown on EU soil is like winning the lottery for them.

So in reality you have no idea and you were blatantly making up stuff about the woman.

Fair enough.

BTW in case anyone is wondering what is meant by "the barrier fences with Spain" as mentioned in that article, Spain still maintains some former colonial ports in North Africa. Its a security nightmare for the EU, and its high time the Spanish handed these ports back to Algeria and Morocco.

Here's another batch scaling the fence...

Not exactly doctors and engineers, but being fittest in a Darwinian sense these guys are the winners.

Geuze wrote: »
    These pubs are either run by locals, or else Irish people with a visa to be in that country.

I wonder how Turkish barbers get a visa to work here - are we short of barbers?

Your Turkish Barber probably has never even set foot in Turkey, maybe on holiday.

Probably came from Germany.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Open borders are good for profits. Cheap labor. Also when Borders are open you get the liberal candidates getting the immigrant votes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Just to clarify that this also includes a ban on building more office space as we are at full employment.

Advertisement