Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Just to clarify that this also includes a ban on building more office space as we are at full employment.

With 8% growth* and overpriced rents (industrial & domestic) already?
    *Growth mostly in highly skilled occupations.

Even with Automation (job replacement) and brexit looming, it will still result in a shift towards a requirement for office based workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The host country borrows more. Banksters are loving it.

Housing shortages in the host country. Taxpayers paying more for rent and mortgages. Banksters are loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

Geuze wrote: »
    We agreed to 4,000, so we should accept 4,000 genuine refugees.

We should not accept bogus AS, like the thousands of Asian men who illegally claimed asylum here, and entered into sham marriages.

Just to be Pedantic Pete here, it’s not illegal to claim asylum, never could be as long as we apply international asylum rules. By the way, please don’t misinterpret that as me saying that false claims shouldn’t be refused. Of course they should. And I think you’ll find the majority of them are. That’s why we have a process which claims must go through. You can certainly argue about the appeal/court process and I wouldn’t disagree that it’s too long drawn out, particularly the court end. Just to get a case heard in the High Court can take years. Then add on some more years if you go the Court of Appeal or Supreme Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I have no problem with Ireland asserting its borders, I’m not of the opinion that it should be a free for all.

I am against both explicit and dog whistle racism e.g. generally when we talk about men aged 18-35 we would call them millennials or Gen Z. But if they come from Africa or the Middle East, many on here will describe them as “army aged men” in order to fearmonger.

Or all the Islamophobia. I lived in Muslim countries for five years and I’d describe their views on women as being old-fashioned for the most part, but rarely misogynistic to the level you’d think from reading here.

Most Muslim women I knew worked for a living, raised their kids, some covered their hair and some didn’t, some wore a burqa but most didn’t, almost all were well educated. The nationalities of my closest friends were Lebanese, Sudanese, Somali, British-Pakistani, Syrian and Emirati. Most are lovely, lovely people who had the misfortune to be born in countries torn apart by war, the climate and dictatorships.

If I was to generalize about Syrians, they’re some of the most hospitable people I’ve met - great hosts, love to cook huge meals and relax and have fun.

The fear around Muslims and black people that the likes of Gemma O’Doherty and the National Party are trying to stoke are not based in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Because much like a lot of hard line Catholics, who's conception of morality centres on abortion, where they cannot consider themselves or others a moral person if they agree with abortion.

Many liberals have chosen to hang their entire sense of morality on immigration and therefore they cannot under any circumstances countenance any criticism or restrictions on immigration.

• Advertisement

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    I have no problem with Ireland asserting its borders, I’m not of the opinion that it should be a free for all.

I am against both explicit and dog whistle racism e.g. generally when we talk about men aged 18-35 we would call them millennials or Gen Z. But if they come from Africa or the Middle East, many on here will describe them as “army aged men” in order to fearmonger.

Or all the Islamophobia. I lived in Muslim countries for five years and I’d describe their views on women as being old-fashioned for the most part, but rarely misogynistic to the level you’d think from reading here.

Most Muslim women I knew worked for a living, raised their kids, some covered their hair and some didn’t, some wore a burqa but most didn’t, almost all were well educated. The nationalities of my closest friends were Lebanese, Sudanese, Somali, British-Pakistani, Syrian and Emirati. Most are lovely, lovely people who had the misfortune to be born in countries torn apart by war, the climate and dictatorships.

If I was to generalize about Syrians, they’re some of the most hospitable people I’ve met - great hosts, love to cook huge meals and relax and have fun.

The fear around Muslims and black people that the likes of Gemma O’Doherty and the National Party are trying to stoke are not based in reality.

At least we can congratulate progressives on their casting off of any notions of gender balance. Because the vast majority coming here are indeed men of the 18-35 range. Whilst the Women and children are left at home in war zones.
    No concept of Women and Children first for these progressives..for this they must be congratulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Immigration and emigration have no bearing or influence on standard of living or income rates.

An incredible statement. An inversion of the most easily understood realities of all human existence.

Even a butterfly knows the consequences of migration.

Can you give us a numerical comparison between Muslim and African countries in which Homosexuality is legal and illegal?
    For example how many Muslim countries are there?
    And how in how many of these countries is Homosexuality legal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Hobosan wrote: »
    An incredible statement. An inversion of the most easily understood realities of all human existence.

Reading the thread most are against human existence.
    People who have the wrong skin colour can’t be near me or come to my country despite 400,000 Irish people fleeing Ireland to go overseas.

Waaaaaah

The hypocrisy is mind melting

Can you give us a numerical comparison between Muslim and African countries in which Homosexuality is legal and illegal?
    For example how many Muslim countries are there?
    And how in how many of these countries is Homosexuality legal?

I’m not going to look up numbers but I take your point.

Given that we went from illegal homosexuality in 1993 to gay marriage in 2015, it just goes to show that countries can change their social views dramatically in a short space of time - and we should be encouraging that process instead of just castigating them for a position we also held not very long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Given that we went from illegal homosexuality in 1993 to gay marriage in 2015, it just goes to show that countries can change their social views dramatically in a short space of time - and we should be encouraging that process instead of just castigating them for a position we also held not very long ago.

You might cast your eye over the poster’s own homophobia, his point is rather undermined by his own hypocrisy.

At least we can congratulate progressives on their casting off of any notions of gender balance. Because the vast majority coming here are indeed men of the 18-35 range. Whilst the Women and children are left at home in war zones.
    No concept of Women and Children first for these progressives..for this they must be congratulated.

The journey to Europe is usually very dangerous, which is why the men go first, in the hopes their wives and kids will be able to follow through traditional channels and not in containers on dodgy boats with armed smugglers.

Reading the thread most are against human existence.
    People who have the wrong skin colour can’t be near me or come to my country despite 400,000 Irish people fleeing Ireland to go overseas.

Waaaaaah

The hypocrisy is mind melting

I hope your mind re-solidifies. May I offer you an egg in these trying times?

Don't want to go off topic but do you really believe that these societies are going to follow the same path of liberalisation that we have? Really?
    As far as I can see there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support that.

And I'm not trying to accuse you of anything but this idea - that we should encourage them towards social liberalisation...is that not a colonialist attitude?

alastair wrote: »
    You might cast your eye over the poster’s own homophobia, his point is rather undermined by his own hypocrisy.

Give me an example of my own Homophobia please

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I know some travellers who are good lads.

El_Bee wrote: »
    I know some travellers who are good lads.

Good for you :)

Fixed the first part of your post for you there.

As for your question, I'm not an immigration expert but for countries that have an established justice system I assume you would check criminal records, employment history, education, references from both there and here.

Just as Irish people sometimes commit crime abroad, some immigrants will commit crime here - it's impossible to prevent it completely. But you can reduce it as much as possible.

No women should ever have to have her life destroyed by being raped. If stopping immigration was a panacea that would prevent sexual assault on women I'd be with you, but obviously it's not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Don't want to go off topic but do you really believe that these societies are going to follow the same path of liberalisation that we have? Really?
    As far as I can see there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support that.

And I'm not trying to accuse you of anything but this idea - that we should encourage them towards social liberalisation...is that not a colonialist attitude?
    If you go to their country and tell them what to do, you're a colonial oppressor.
    If you bring them all to this country and then tell them what to do, you're a liberal.
    Simples... :):p;)

• Advertisement

Would you punish all the genuine refugees out there fleeing warzones for the crimes of a tiny minority? Probably. I wouldn't.

We should probably leave this chat here as I doubt I can change your mind and I'm certain you can't change mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just to clarify that this also includes a ban on building more office space as we are at full employment.

Eh what?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Geuze wrote: »
    No.

A former housemate of mine said "put them all in a ship, and sink the ship in the ocean" - now that is not very nice.

But it is perfectly ok to support strict rules on non-EU immigration.

Anytime I pass a Turkish barbers I wonder how they got into the country.

Me too and as well “Turkish barbering” is way overrated.

Eh what?!!!

Oppositeland is in full effect with some posters. Be gentle with them.

I haven't suggested open borders once - typical right-wing nonsense, take a person's stated position and exaggerate it to the point of farce.

Tell me, what was your last username before this current one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭enricoh

Immigration and emigration have no bearing or influence on standard of living or income rates.
    So blaming immigrants coming here and we can’t Afford them is a nonsense

This is what you are dealing with folks! - now lets open up Europe's borders to the third world. It'll have no bearing on us financially apparently! who knew!

Lost Relic wrote: »
    Touchy because I showed you up for being naive?

Did you know the majority of rapes, and the vast majority of stranger and gang rapes, in Sweden are committed by migrants?

How does that make Sweden better?

The vast majority, so like 70% or more? Can you provide any evidence of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Tbf if ya wolf whistle etc at a young wan in sweden its reported/prosectuted as rape,because theres no word in swedish language for sexual assault

So there rape figures are ridcolus for a reason.....and id be wary of citeing them.to support a point

I found the study you're referring to. Here's what the guy who audited it said:
    For Jerzy Sarnecki, a criminology professor at Stockholm University who audited the report, the Brå study was enough to put to rest the idea that the increase in rape cases is directly tied to the influx of refugees.

"We are not facing an occupation by Muslim men who rape our women," Sarnecki told Dagens Nyheter. "The report shows that the immigration influx has not affected the number of sexual offences."

Sarnecki instead concludes that changing attitudes toward what constitutes sexual assault are a driving factor behind the increase in reported incidents.

"It's clear that there is less tolerance for certain types of sexual offenses that may have not previously been reported," he said.

The rise in rape has been attributed to expanding its definition to include things that were taken less seriously in the past, and not to immigrants.

https://www.thelocal.se/20190529/increase-in-swedens-rape-statistics-cant-be-tied-to-refugee-influx-study-suggests

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

There isnt a word for sexual violence in swedish...this is fact

Juilan assanges charge for rape was for feeling some young wans arse at the bar, a deeply unpleasent act,but not rape imo

Advertisement