Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yurt! wrote: »
    Just had a root through the International Protection Office's stats. Does anyone know what's going on with all the Albanians and Georgians applying for asylum (or international protection as it's euphemistically known these days)? Apart from the fact that their economies are rather crap relative to ours.
    The Albanians have developed a sophisticated people trafficking network, which is an add-on to their traditional gangster business of drugs and arms trafficking into Europe.
    This kind of business model finds a perfect match in the well developed asylum industry that has built up in Ireland over the same period of time.

In other words, we get shafted, and they do the shafting.

Shocking waste of taxpayers money in Donegal by the state Reception and Integration Agency (RIA) which appears to be staffed by leftist social justice warriors who have been given access to as much of the taxpayer's money as they can spend.
    An estimated €108,000 in State funding has been spent since January on security services at an empty hotel in Co Donegal earmarked to open as a direct-provision centre.
    Not much choice of accommodation left in Moville now for the tourists, but this one company Bridgestock Care Ltd. is laughing all the way to the bank.
    By the end of 2018, Bridgestock had received a total of €97 million in payments since 2000 to run direct-provision centres, including €5.8 million last year. It currently operates two centres in Co Mayo and Sligo town.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/state-spends-more-than-100-000-guarding-empty-donegal-hotel-1.3990185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

recedite wrote: »
    Shocking waste of taxpayers money in Donegal by the state Reception and Integration Agency (RIA) which appears to be staffed by leftist social justice warriors who have been given access to as much of the taxpayer's money as they can spend. Not much choice of accommodation left in Moville now for the tourists, but this one company Bridgestock Care Ltd. is laughing all the way to the bank.https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/state-spends-more-than-100-000-guarding-empty-donegal-hotel-1.3990185

Really is time for the Irish to start working off the books. Let the Lefties pay taxes to fund all of this. I imagine they won't be so quick to virtue signal when its only their money that's being wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Really is time for the Irish to start working off the books. Let the Lefties pay taxes to fund all of this. I imagine they won't be so quick to virtue signal when its only their money that's being wasted.

ofocurse not, they could set up communist communes right now if they wanted to. Being on the left in Ireland is about trying to strong arm the 'rich' and corporations into paying for the lives of people they deem fit to receive handouts.

A free-er market wouldn't suit them because it doesn't make wealthy people pay for their lifestyles. They all effectively want the same patronage Karl Marx got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Shocking waste of taxpayers money in Donegal by the state Reception and Integration Agency (RIA) which appears to be staffed by leftist social justice warriors who have been given access to as much of the taxpayer's money as they can spend. Not much choice of accommodation left in Moville now for the tourists, but this one company Bridgestock Care Ltd. is laughing all the way to the bank.https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/state-spends-more-than-100-000-guarding-empty-donegal-hotel-1.3990185
    There seems to be an RIA office in every town now. I remember about 10 years ago when they showed up in a nearby local small town. The 2 staff were responsible for just one refugee family at the time. Many thought that it was such a huge waste of money. But now seeing the influx of non-EU nationals, little did the small town know what it was in for. There is not one Syrian in the place.

The RIA website is a disaster (probably deliberately) and it pointed me to the Reception and Integration Agency (http://www.integration.ie/). Apparently there is €526,000 tax money available for community integration projects to be carried out in 2019.
    I'm sorry; it seems that Reception and Integration Agency Office is now the Office for the Promotion of Migrant Integration.

A lot of money to be made in this non-EU migration business/industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Given the sheer waste of taxpayer money now involved in this, is it not time for the people to get a say on whether they approve of this path we are going down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Given the sheer waste of taxpayer money now involved in this, is it not time for the people to get a say on whether they approve of this path we are going down?

The nearest we got to it was the chance to vote for Peter Casey in the recent Presidential and (for some) the European elections.

He did well enough to upset the snowflakes, but failed to be elected.

Portsalon wrote: »
    The nearest we got to it was the chance to vote for Peter Casey in the recent Presidential and (for some) the European elections.

He did well enough to upset the snowflakes, but failed to be elected.

he got my vote twice , the only man willing to talk about the elephants in the room in Irish politics.

I'm not sure Peter Casey would have offered any real solutions for this issue, but he certainly hit a nerve with the virtue signallers and lefties here in regards to Travellers.

The Irish government needs to be careful not to overstep boundaries here, and particularly where such sums of money are being used for something only they have decided to pursue but have not consulted the public on. Its a common trend everywhere (US/Italy/Poland etc) that the more peoples concerns about immigration are ignored and swept under a rug, a wildcard who speaks to what they believe can rise to power very quickly (look at Caseys overall vote for remarks he made right on the money while the other candidates pretended the relationship between normal Irish & travellers was all rainbows and lollipops) .

It's all part of Leo's "Roll over to the EU to protect the backstop" policy.

"You want us to take in more economic migrants, Angela? Sure, no bother, just let Charlie know the number and when they're arriving so he can book enough rooms in The Four Seasons for them.

If the EU told Leo that they wanted to locate 50 tonnes of nuclear waste in the Bog of Allen or the backstop would have to go, he'd tell them to go ahead.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Apparently there is €526,000 tax money available for community integration projects to be carried out in 2019.
    Some of that is actually the opposite to integration. For example, providing buses and taxis to a mosque hundreds of Km away when there is no mosque in the local community.

I'm not sure Peter Casey would have offered any real solutions for this issue, but he certainly hit a nerve with the virtue signallers and lefties here in regards to Travellers.

The Irish government needs to be careful not to overstep boundaries here, and particularly where such sums of money are being used for something only they have decided to pursue but have not consulted the public on. Its a common trend everywhere (US/Italy/Poland etc) that the more peoples concerns about immigration are ignored and swept under a rug, a wildcard who speaks to what they believe can rise to power very quickly (look at Caseys overall vote for remarks he made right on the money while the other candidates pretended the relationship between normal Irish & travellers was all rainbows and lollipops) .
    is he a politician who would deliver real solutions - no
    is identifying the problem the first step to solving it - yes
    was he willing to name the problem - yes.

Hopefully his success spurs an actual politician to run on a platform of solving our problems with migrants, travellers , welfare etc... , ill sure as hell vote for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some of that is actually the opposite to integration. For example, providing buses and taxis to a mosque hundreds of Km away when there is no mosque in the local community.

Is that just pure Irish taxpayer funding on that or are there outside funds facilitating this kind of thing?

I know that there are outside funds available to journalists who write supportive articles on the movement of people into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

topper75 wrote: »

Is that just pure Irish taxpayer funding on that or are there outside funds facilitating this kind of thing?

I know that there are outside funds available to journalists who write supportive articles on the movement of people into Europe.

Are there really funds available to journalists who write supportive articles on the movement of people into Europe?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Mary Rafferty Journalism Fund is one example I've noticed in the IT for example

jay0109 wrote: »
    Mary Rafferty Journalism Fund is one example I've noticed in the IT for example

Said fund appears to have jumped the shark.

"In December 2018, the Mary Raftery Journalism Fund ceased operations, having reached an agreement with the Media History Collection of the School of Communications, DCU to continue aspects of the Fund’s commemorative work."

Is that just pure Irish taxpayer funding..
    Yes, that is the RIA spending your money.

Yes, that is the RIA spending your money.
    You would have to wonder what other fanciful projects that they are spending the Irish tax-payer money on?
    So I had a look:
    • Intercultural Awareness
    • Integration Research
    • Food/Cuisine
    • Capacity Building
    • Arts
    • Transportation
    • Etc.
    The Transportation project is certainly interesting: "Projects that target immobility and social isolation among the migrant population due to an inability to drive or difficulties accessing public and private transport."
    What about Irish people born in the country in similar circumstances?

Speaking of transportation, there is a substantial surge of Africans (aged 30 and older) driving people carriers in my vicinity. I usually find that what is happening in my locality is generally a microcosm of what is happening around the country.
    Besides the procurement cost, the running costs are substantial e.g. insurance, tax, etc., so is this subsidised by us in some manner?

Besides the procurement cost, the running costs are substantial e.g. insurance, tax, etc., so is this subsidised by us in some manner?

There are such sensitivities around this thing and reporting in media that it is hard to know. It might not even be state funded.

There was a story a while back about sums of money sent back to Nigeria in particular from Ireland that were utterly disproportionate to the number of Nigerian nationals living here. I don't recall much follow-up investigation or reporting. Here is one article from six years back:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerians-send-nearly-500m-a-year-home-from-ireland-29278045.html
    You are talking €26K per person (including kids!) going back. So they probably have a lot to spend here. Now the visible business activity (taxi fares, phone cards, selling food to themselves) can't justify that. So I can only conclude that the funds are ill-gotten and they are rolling in it on account. Hence people carriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ireland-agrees-to-accept-migrants-stranded-on-ocean-viking-1.3995175?fbclid=IwAR3ZfLci6_BIXv4bG1BDhlVL9DWyVUdtnUPnUKCnMweIbD06M_5hpw-Tr08

We really are idiots. The ship was offered safe harbour in Tripoli last week. They refused it. 365 Sudanese in the middle of the Med.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ireland-agrees-to-accept-migrants-stranded-on-ocean-viking-1.3995175?fbclid=IwAR3ZfLci6_BIXv4bG1BDhlVL9DWyVUdtnUPnUKCnMweIbD06M_5hpw-Tr08

We really are idiots. The ship was offered safe harbour in Tripoli last week. They refused it. 365 Sudanese in the middle of the Med.

More virtue signalling from Varadkar and Co. Turn the boat around and send them back to wherever they came from. This kind of **** is only fueling the people smugglers on the other side.

More virtue signalling from Varadkar and Co. Turn the boat around and send them back to wherever they came from. This kind of **** is only fueling the people smugglers on the other side.

Why should this be in any way our burden, this is just welcoming criminality.

It seems that the short term emotional response of "These people are stranded and need our help now!" always trumps any longer term concerns about how often we can keep doing this.
    Appeasement of the traffic gangs (MSF are effectively one now) is the worst approach. Africa will double its population in the 2015-2050 period.

This cannot be a surprise to us though, and it will continue to happen indefinitely while Fine Gael are still in government. We will be hearing about the next NGO migrant-taxi ship within a week, asking the Irish tax-payers to take in the next batch of economic migrants.

God, I hate the Irish Times. They are as bad as RTE pushing the NGO agenda.
    A whole 3 paragraphs on the article dedicated to the NGO mouthpiece on board the migrant-taxi ship, including this gem:
    "European States must take a hard look at the role they are playing in trapping people in these situations."

So there you have it folks .............. it's all our fault.

Absolutely ridiculous.

These Sudanese will bring nothing to Ireland except more trouble and expenses.
    Unemployable people with no education and a bad Islamic attitude towards women.
    As soon as they set foot on irish soil they will send for the relatives. "Family reunification".
    Meanwhile the Viking Fairy will turn round and head straight back to Libya to collect the next batch of migrants.
    Every batch that gets picked up by one of these NGO ships encourages another batch to pack their bags somehere in sub-saharan Africa, and head for Libya.
    It doesn't matter how much the Libyans try to discourage them, or how badly they treat them, the prize on offer to these people is just too big;
    "Free everything for the rest of your life, in Europe, and the rest of your family, and your future kids, and their kids..."

Yet more craven grovelling from Vlad the Dud to the EU to help guarantee the Backstop.

He is beyond any doubt the worst and most spineless Taoiseach that this county has ever had. The good thing is that the general election will probably come in the next 12 months, so pretty soon he'll be out on his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

There are such sensitivities around this thing and reporting in media that it is hard to know. It might not even be state funded.

There was a story a while back about sums of money sent back to Nigeria in particular from Ireland that were utterly disproportionate to the number of Nigerian nationals living here. I don't recall much follow-up investigation or reporting. Here is one article from six years back:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerians-send-nearly-500m-a-year-home-from-ireland-29278045.html
    You are talking €26K per person (including kids!) going back. So they probably have a lot to spend here. Now the visible business activity (taxi fares, phone cards, selling food to themselves) can't justify that. So I can only conclude that the funds are ill-gotten and they are rolling in it on account. Hence people carriers.

Sure one Nigerian prince would lodge that sort of money in an afternoon.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This cannot be a surprise to us though, and it will continue to happen indefinitely while Fine Gael are still in government. We will be hearing about the next NGO migrant-taxi ship within a week, asking the Irish tax-payers to take in the next batch of economic migrants.

God, I hate the Irish Times. They are as bad as RTE pushing the NGO agenda.
    A whole 3 paragraphs on the article dedicated to the NGO mouthpiece on board the migrant-taxi ship, including this gem:
    "European States must take a hard look at the role they are playing in trapping people in these situations."

So there you have it folks .............. it's all our fault.

MSF is one of the charities that I used to support. But their enthusiastic participation in this sort of emotional blackmail has led me to stop.

And I haven't bought the Irish Times in over 20 years. (My generous sibling allows me to use his password, so if I want to annoy myself, I can log in and sift through the latest published contents of Fintan O'Toole's or Una Mullally's intellectual chamber pots.)

Your reference to Fine Gael leads me to wonder whether any other Irish political party would be more likely to play hardball with these economic migrants? Somehow, I doubt it.

Portsalon wrote: »

Your reference to Fine Gael leads me to wonder whether any other Irish political party would be more likely to play hardball with these economic migrants? Somehow, I doubt it.
    Not at the moment. Fianna Fail don't have the balls to defy the European liberal agenda, but I can imagine that once they see what happens to Fine Gael in the next election, that they may not be as willing as Fine Gael to sell out the country just for a few prestigious jobs in Brussels for their top men/women.

It is absolutely horrible that the only realistic alternative to Fine Gael (at the moment) is Fianna Fail. I could have never imagined any party being as bad as Fianna Fail, but then along comes Leo the Liar and his band of merry men and women.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Fianna Fail would do exactly the same, under Michael Martin they are even more liberal virtue signallers than FG.

Advertisement