Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

More people being brought in to firstly, be put up in hotels for months on end as there is no other accommodation, at a cost of millions.
    Secondly to then spend a life on welfare in free housing.

And then lets see the trouble their kids will bring 20 years from now.

I really hate this county sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

jay0109 wrote: »
    More people being brought in to firstly, be put up in hotels for months on end as there is no other accommodation, at a cost of millions.

Amazing how many psychics post here, should change your name to Mystic Meg :rolleyes:

Amazing how many psychics post here, should change your name to Mystic Meg :rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah...they're all Engineers and Doctors. Give us the script...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ireland-agrees-to-accept-migrants-stranded-on-ocean-viking-1.3995175?fbclid=IwAR3ZfLci6_BIXv4bG1BDhlVL9DWyVUdtnUPnUKCnMweIbD06M_5hpw-Tr08

We really are idiots. The ship was offered safe harbour in Tripoli last week. They refused it. 365 Sudanese in the middle of the Med.

Saw that article on FB, the comments section was full of lefties saying how proud they were that this was happening.

No fear they will be housed in Daddies posh neighbourhood though.

We are just making ourselves the dumping ground for economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah, yeah...they're all Engineers and Doctors. Give us the script...

Sure ye lads think they are all rapists and murderers ffs :rolleyes:

How quickly the Irish forget thier own immigration status around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Sure ye lads think they are all rapists and murderers ffs :rolleyes:

I'd say it's more likely they are rapists and muderers than are engineers and doctors. I don't agree they are all rapists and muderers but I don't it's likely they are going to contribute to our economy I've been in Italy many times and all the Africans seem to hang around railway stations all day haven't seen many working other than the odd one or two.

Surely the whole point on immigration is to benefit the economy. However it seems the majority of African migrants from the boats don't seem to contribute when they enter Europe in fact more seem to take from the economy. This is why I support legal controlled immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sure ye lads think it c they are all rapists and murderers

There's been a few actually .

Including very violent sex offender who was granted asylum after carrying out a viscous rape here

When I heard a 'small number' of the 356, I assumed up to 20. But I just read it's likely to be up to 100!!!!

If you'd seen the TV reports the past few weeks, you'd swear it was mostly women and children. Pure propaganda to dupe the uninformed
    Most of the migrants on the Ocean Viking are adult men.
    About two-thirds come from Sudan, with others from Ivory Coast, Mali and Senegal.
    Four women and five young children, aged one to six, are also aboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Play a new tune on the banjo, instead of this old tiresome pull-at-the-heart-strings number.

Sure isn't there a Cork fella facing deportation in the US after a minor non-disclosure and also overstaying a holiday visa.

Stay illegally or apply falsely, then get removed (legally).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

When I heard a 'small number' of the 356, I assumed up to 20. But I just read it's likely to be up to 100!!!!

If you'd seen the TV reports the past few weeks, you'd swear it was mostly women and children. Pure propaganda to dupe the uninformed

Just send irish ferries over to libya n save all the hassle!
    Roll on the next recession, all fg do is squander the taxpayers dough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 youzack

So when do you expect the backlash from the Irish voters?
    Will a new party be born or will one of the current ones take a turn to the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Kivaro wrote: »
    This cannot be a surprise to us though, and it will continue to happen indefinitely while Fine Gael are still in government. We will be hearing about the next NGO migrant-taxi ship within a week, asking the Irish tax-payers to take in the next batch of economic migrants.

God, I hate the Irish Times. They are as bad as RTE pushing the NGO agenda.
    A whole 3 paragraphs on the article dedicated to the NGO mouthpiece on board the migrant-taxi ship, including this gem:
    "European States must take a hard look at the role they are playing in trapping people in these situations."

So there you have it folks .............. it's all our fault.

3 sections allowing the mouthpiece from the NGO to spout their piece and not a single section to counter that narrative. Biased reporting anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Really is time for the Irish to start working off the books. Let the Lefties pay taxes to fund all of this. I imagine they won't be so quick to virtue signal when its only their money that's being wasted.

They don’t have any money to begin with as they do F all

More spin from the Irish media and the Liberal copy writers that Journalism 'college' churns out these days

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-agrees-to-take-refugees-from-the-mediterranean-rescue-ship-ocean-viking-38431513.html
    A total of 356 men, women and children were rescued from the sea by the ship, run by charities Médicins Sans Frontières (MSF) and SOS Méditerranée, in an operation between August 9-12.

The refugees, including a one-year-old child, were fleeing war in Libya in four different boats when they got into difficulty.

They call them refugees when that has not being established.
    No mention that 99% are males but they throw in the baby to pull at the heart strings.
    The war in Libya is mentioned but they leave out how the migrants voluntarily travelled to Libya in the first place as it offered them the best route to access Europe.

Any half informed Irish man or woman reading this can't help but feel sympathy for the plight of these people and probably think Leo is doing the right thing. And that's how the media and Govt play and manipulate the people

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Just be thankful Salvini is in power in Italy and doing something against these NGOs. Otherwise you could multiply the arrivals number by 10 or more.

All of them plus their descendants will become European citizens with full rights to travel to any EU countries they want Ireland included.

Hopefully they will impound that ship and fine the organisation.

However with very wealthy donors including soros they may be back at the Libyan Coast in no time.

This endlessly keeps happening and happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The EU needs to ban NGO ships from the Med.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Libyans have already banned them from their own territorial waters, which is why the NGOs have to keep 12 miles out from the shore.
    But once they are at that distance they are in international waters, and there is SFA anyone can do to stop them.
    The migrant traffickers on the shore are in contact with the ships by mobile phone and so the 12 mile trip in a rubber dinghy can be arranged before breakfast.
    What the EU needs to do is stop providing the destination. Salvini has done that for Italy. Malta has also done it.
    It looks like we are going to be the next idiots in the line as a receiver country for the trafficked illegal immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

More spin from the Irish media and the Liberal copy writers that Journalism 'college' churns out these days

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-agrees-to-take-refugees-from-the-mediterranean-rescue-ship-ocean-viking-38431513.html

They call them refugees when that has not being established.
    No mention that 99% are males but they throw in the baby to pull at the heart strings.
    The war in Libya is mentioned but they leave out how the migrants voluntarily travelled to Libya in the first place as it offered them the best route to access Europe.

Any half informed Irish man or woman reading this can't help but feel sympathy for the plight of these people and probably think Leo is doing the right thing. And that's how the media and Govt play and manipulate the people

Fleeing war?? They are economic migrants who left a poor but safe country and entered a war zone in order to get to Europe. Note they didn’t go to the likes of Morocco, Tunisia or Algeria, no NGO ferries waiting off their coast.
    Why are the Irish media constantly trying to put a positive spin on us taking more and more refugees? Mentioning the one year old child was a pathetic attempt to tug at the heart strings, ignoring that almost the whole boat was made up of young males.
    But it’s ok, these young lads from Ghana, Mali, wherever, no English or education will only be a positive for Ireland.
    They will add no further demands on our health, education or housing resources and we need them to pay pensions, isn’t that the agreed narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

But it’s ok, these young lads from Ghana, Mali, wherever, no English or education will only be a positive for Ireland.
    They will add no further demands on our health, education or housing resources and we need them to pay pensions, isn’t that the agreed narrative?
    I'd think Ireland needs a more diverse pool of refugees, for the sake of balance: stop looking only at Africa, we could welcome families from Venezuela instead.
    https://www.unhcr.org/en-ie/venezuela-emergency.html
    "The majority of refugees and migrants from Venezuela arriving in neighbouring countries are families with children, pregnant women, elderly people and people with disabilities."
    And an example of the accommodation conditions they are given: "In Brazil, we are providing site planning, tents, relief items, drinking fountains, registration through biometrics, community mobilization, information dissemination and site management. So far, 13 temporary shelters have opened in Boa Vista and Pacaraima, hosting over 6,000 Venezuelans."

mvl wrote: »
    I'd think Ireland needs a more diverse pool of refugees, for the sake of balance: stop looking only at Africa, we could welcome families from Venezuela instead.
    https://www.unhcr.org/en-ie/venezuela-emergency.html
    "The majority of refugees and migrants from Venezuela arriving in neighbouring countries are families with children, pregnant women, elderly people and people with disabilities."
    And an example of the accommodation conditions they are given: "In Brazil, we are providing site planning, tents, relief items, drinking fountains, registration through biometrics, community mobilization, information dissemination and site management. So far, 13 temporary shelters have opened in Boa Vista and Pacaraima, hosting over 6,000 Venezuelans."

Is there nowhere closer to Venezuela they could go other than Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Either that or harder measures need to be taken - ship seized and crew arrested for people trafficking on the return taxi trip to pick up more.

Is there nowhere closer to Venezuela they could go other than Ireland?

There probably is, but they are so many, and can you see in what conditions they are hosted in (rather than Irish hotels) ...
    As I said, its all about balance, one can think we can add quotas per country of origin.

And about Venezuelan refugees: thinking they would have a higher chance of integrating here (being catholic and all), adults of working age could end up having higher employment rate, and more important, their children deserve a better chance too - as imo families with children should be prioritized over what we're getting at the moment from the recent agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We already have close to 20% of our population made up of foreign nationals mostly arrived over a 20 year period with no real plan on integration or issues arising from non integration or housing and yet , people here and abroad demanding we take more in ,

Sooner or later we need someone to stand up in government and say no were full

5000 in direct provision and not counting the other several thousand not accounted for illegally here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Either that or harder measures need to be taken - ship seized and crew arrested for people trafficking on the return taxi trip to pick up more.
    Italians tried that earlier in the year. Germany and France then kicked up a fuss. The NGO ship earned even more money out of it.
    Two online campaigns to help the German captain of a rescue ship who is under house arrest in Italy have between them raised more than €1 million.Carola Rackete’s arrest on Saturday, after she forced her vessel into port in Lampedusa carrying migrants and refugees she had rescued off Libya, prompted a fundraising appeal by two prominent German TV stars that by Tuesday morning had raised €917,195 from more than 33,000 donors.
    A second campaign, started by an Italian anti-fascist group on Facebook, had raised a further €433,993 by Tuesday, well over the page’s stated goal of €349,000, bringing the total raised in support of Ms Rackete to more than €1.3 million.
    “The wave of solidarity is wonderful,” Ruben Neugebauer, a spokesman for Ms Rackete’s migrant rescue NGO Sea-Watch, told Spiegel Online. “We certainly also need the money.”
    The funds will go towards paying Ms Rackete’s legal fees if charges are brought against her
    The aptly named Captain Racket was then released.
    The problem here seems to be that the NGOs are not directly paid by the migrants, which makes them "not" paid people traffickers according to the law. You could describe them as sponsored people traffickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

mvl wrote: »
    There probably is, but they are so many, and can you see in what conditions they are hosted in (rather than Irish hotels) ...
    As I said, its all about balance, one can think we can add quotas per country of origin.

And about Venezuelan refugees: thinking they would have a higher chance of integrating here (being catholic and all), adults of working age could end up having higher employment rate, and more important, their children deserve a better chance too - as imo families with children should be prioritized over what we're getting at the moment from the recent agreements.

I met many and they are all good people, but the ones who left their country in recent years were scaping the reduction of social welfare Maduro was giving them. I doubt many of them have any interest in working. Things would be much better if they stop voting for Maduro and bringing themselves in that situation.

Das Reich wrote: »
    I met many and they are all good people, but the ones who left their country in recent years were scaping the reduction of social welfare Maduro was giving them. I doubt many of them have any interest in working. Things would be much better if they stop voting for Maduro and bringing themselves in that situation.

The only one I know is on a high skilled visa, worked briefly with him, a very talented guy, after he left the company everybody still praises his work ethic. on the other hand, I've also worked with lots of African engineers but one of them is memorable for the wrong reasons: smart fella who turned out had lots of baggage, got into complaining publicly about the racism he's encountered in Ireland. I believe moved out of the country, but after getting his Irish citizenship.

Refugees are refugees, and there may be many reasons these ppl flee their countries. But I think all children refugees are better investment for the future than the 30 something year old guys coming on boats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

They should be sunk on sight.

The Italians were very patient with our ships picking up passengers from Libya and dropping them to Italy.
    Imagine Italian navy ships going to Calais and dropping them over to Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Country was fine until 4 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I'd say it's more likely they are rapists and muderers than are engineers and doctors. I don't agree they are all rapists and muderers but I don't it's likely they are going to contribute to our economy I've been in Italy many times and all the Africans seem to hang around railway stations all day haven't seen many working other than the odd one or two.

Surely the whole point on immigration is to benefit the economy. However it seems the majority of African migrants from the boats don't seem to contribute when they enter Europe in fact more seem to take from the economy. This is why I support legal controlled immigration.

And here we have an example of racism. Stereotyping immigrants as rapists, murderers, welfare spongers, indeed even stereotyping black immigrants as such.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement