Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Absolute BS from the Minister and from Miriam.

Not one mention of the near blanked 100% rejection rates for all bar Syrians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The money trail needs to be followed. Contract signed before consultation with the locals is an absolute farce. Not second thought is given to the locals or welfare of the asylum seekers who seem to be left waiting in limbo for long periods.

I heard the rate paid to hotel owner is around 400 euro per week bed. Some rooms in hotels located in the back arse of nowhere could have a minimum of 4 beds in them. Very lucrative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

There's 'protecting your community'... and then there's spouting the kind of racist shite that Noel Grealish has yet to deny spouting.

How is the word sponger 'racist'?

We use it on our own more often than not?

jay are you saying that people are being denied refugee status but just being left to wander in the country regardless? Are they being dumped into homeless services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

is a community that does not want a direct provision centre in it de facto racist?

According to the twitter empty vessels yes.

PostWoke wrote: »
    jay are you saying that people are being denied refugee status but just being left to wander in the country regardless? Are they being dumped into homeless services?
    They are giving 'Leave to remain' which is essentially citizenship light...they do a few years in that and then apply for citizenship.

Leave to Remain gives them full access to the labour force but most importantly, full access to the welfare system including housing.
    There's very few of them going homeless or wandering the country. A large amount of them seem to be getting housed in the Fingal area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How is the word sponger 'racist'?

We use it on our own more often than not?

It's not the word itself, it's the context in which he used it, allegedly. Calling every African migrant/asylum seeker a sponger is racist.

But, like an earlier poster said, the source for this remark, one Joe Loughnane, is not someone I would regard as a reliable witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The money trail needs to be followed. Contract signed before consultation with the locals is an absolute farce. Not second thought is given to the locals or welfare of the asylum seekers who seem to be left waiting in limbo for long periods.

I heard the rate paid to hotel owner is around 400 euro per week bed. Some rooms in hotels located in the back arse of nowhere could have a minimum of 4 beds in them. Very lucrative.

Guy in my town has over 20 of them he's making a million a year accommodating and feeding them he's absolutely laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I missed the prime time part but see rte are playing the poor card and they need more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Anyone watching the rotunda?

Nigerian woman expecting 3 babies living in direct provision.

Got pregnant in Nigeria but left her husband and daughter there and came straight to Ireland.

Hopes they can join her.

What an absolute joke of a country.

lola85 wrote: »

Got pregnant in Nigeria but left her husband and daughter there and came straight to Ireland.

Hopes they can join her.

This happened a lot in the previous boom....

I knew holes at as the non Irish baby factory

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    It's not the word itself, it's the context in which he used it, allegedly. Calling every African migrant/asylum seeker a sponger is racist.

Or maybe he has seen the figures being thrown around in this thread and that other one knocking around? To be honest that just makes him incorrect, it's apparently 43-63% unemployed. That just makes him a wrong doofus?
    jay0109 wrote: »
    They are giving 'Leave to remain' which is essentially citizenship light...they do a few years in that and then apply for citizenship.

Leave to Remain gives them full access to the labour force but most importantly, full access to the welfare system including housing.
    There's very few of them going homeless or wandering the country. A large amount of them seem to be getting housed in the Fingal area.

Housed by whom, if nationals cannot manage it?

I missed the prime time part but see rte are playing the poor card and they need more money.

They should carry out more critical analysis of wastes of public money like the Asylum scam industry. They might get some more funds coming their way if there was less waste elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

lola85 wrote: »

Hopes they can join her.

Indeed, also leaves a bad taste in the mouth for real asylum seekers are economic migrants basically turn people off it completely.

Housed by whom, if nationals cannot manage it?
    :o Are you serious? :confused:

Housed by the Irish taxpayer obviously

ChikiChiki wrote: »

At least he admitted there is no consultation, brave move considering the existing violence around it though as this could spark more.

Usual mess from the government doing enough just to line the pockets of the select few and making it really crappy for locals and they asylum seekers alike.

:o Are you serious? :confused:

Housed by the Irish taxpayer obviously

Sorry, I've been away, catching up here.

The taxpayer is footing the bill, but how are they getting this housing? Especially if it all seems to be in Fingal? Are these shares in private accommodation or something different? Please don't tell me they're social housing when we cannot even house our feckin own...

Amazing how they can't afford to look after themselves but think oh how wonderful it is to bring more into the world.... She will be here for life....

Best of health care and will she get the charge from hospital and ambulance???? Will she Fook

Amazing how they can't afford to look after themselves but think oh how wonderful it is to bring more into the world.... She will be here for life....

Best of health care and will she get the charge from hospital and ambulance???? Will she Fook

Even though we don't have an anchor baby rights in Ireland i assume if we did try and do anything there would be some support quickly ramped up and we would all be called a shower of bastards for suggesting otherwise.

She is on at the end with under her photo hope to be reunited with daughter and husband....

Eh we aren't holding you back. What sort of mother leaves a child in another country...

What a great addition to Ireland she will be.... Not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

She is on at the end with under her photo hope to be reunited with daughter and husband....

Eh we aren't holding you back. What sort of mother leaves a child in another country...

Arrived straight from Nigeria into direct provision and bang 3 babies all Irish now.

Husband will join her and they will be a great addition and help with pensions in the future:)

• Advertisement

If she is a true asylum seeker she would be fleeing oppression, I personally don't know her case but if it was safe enough for her husband and child to stay then i recon she is an economic migrant.

I could be wrong but Nigeria is not a country i thought had people fleeing from persecution. More often than not we get individuals like Pamela Izevbekhai who take the piss and wear down public goodwill.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I could be wrong but Nigeria is not a country i thought had people fleeing from persecution. More often than not we get individuals like Pamela Izevbekhai who take the piss and wear down public goodwill.

Nigerian's have been topping the Irish asylum seeker's list for the past 25 years. Its only in the past couple of years that Georgians and a couple of other nationalities have passed them out.
    Tens of thousand's of Nigerian's have claimed asylum here in that time

*strange double post?*

I've been away for a while.

So, these people are being denied status, but haven't been deported, meaning they're being dumped into the homeless services system, am I gathering this correctly?

I've explained it clearly in my posts above. I'm not biting any more

Nigerian's have been topping the Irish asylum seeker's list for the past 25 years. Its only in the past couple of years that Georgians and a couple of other nationalities have passed them out.
    Tens of thousand's of Nigerian's have claimed asylum here in that time

That just tells me we are seeing as a nice juicy target for economic migrants.

I've explained it clearly in my posts above. I'm not biting any more

My dude, it was some kind of weird double post.

I assure you you are not being baited in any way. I just don't know.

Can you tell me if they're being housed through their own searching (daft etc) or if they're being issued social housing, as your Fingal statement is confusing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I will raise a few points in this thread from my point of view. I have no opinions that are strongly-held and I have no time or inclination to be drawn into a name-calling match of 'pinko liberal' or 'racist'. I am neither.

1) Us Irish have a good name for charity. This is something that I am proud of. We have long given time, effort and money to countries abroad to help them get better and develop, I am proud of this and hope it continues. It is something we should hold dear. I believe we are generally a good people.

2) It is NOT racist to ensure that we have strong borders. By that I mean a strong immigration system which absolutely deports EVERYONE found to not be eligible. We should allow people in who meet our criteria and who we need. This is our choice as per our immigration laws. Having strong immigration laws protects legal immigrants who often work in lower-skilled jobs. Strong immigration laws does not discriminate between black Irish, white Irish or Asian-Irish, it protects all of the Irish regardless of colour against people who may try to game the system be they from Russia, USA, China or indeed, Africa.

3) People who are blatantly gaming the system should be booted out. No ifs or buts. If strong change is not implemented, our current tolerance may reduce drastically such as what is happening in the USA and UK. There are also movements across Europe, Canada and Australia which are very intolerant. I would hate to see this happen in Ireland but we need to protect our tolerance against over'tolerance which may destroy our moderate tolerance (if that makes sense).

4) We have never been a colonial power so therefore I don't see why we owe anything to anybody. A certain amount of charity or assisting people genuinely fleeing war is good however if we don't get a grip, we could be overwhelmed by economic migrants or too many genuine refugees. We need to manage our own country so that we can continue to assist. If we go down, the whole thing goes down.

5) While we need to do more, we need to assist the legal migrants here to adapt and integrate into our country completely. Us Irish are good at not letting people become 'too big for their boots'. This means that no race, creed or other group of people can lord it over anyone or have a claim to a 'race card'. If you are here, you are here to live in Ireland and will adapt to our laws and our customs, integrate with our people and traditions. This is not to make them forget where they come from but to have a healthy respect for our laws and native land/people while adding what they have to the mix. It would further stop some of the issues they have in the UK such as having a very segregated society.

6) We need to get the Common Travel Area sorted. Refugees should apply for refuge in the first safe country they arrive to. Mostly that is not Ireland. The CTA is a great system for Ireland but we need to protect it in the modern day against those who would abuse it, especially with Brexit on the horizon. We are a relatively wealthy, English-speaking, soft touch in Western Europe with the addition that if you get an Irish passport you can freely go to Britain. This needs to be looked at very closely.

Basically, I think everything is balance. Skew it one way or t'other and things go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I haven't lived in Ireland for 12 years but from my perspective, all of this anti immigrant sentiment(asylum seeker or otherwise) comes down to the incredibly high income tax in Ireland. I think that gets under your skin and this is how you express it, easiest target first. But this whole issue is miniscule fiscally compared to the inefficiency in the public sector for example. Again there, it is wrong to blame employees as it is to blame foreign people desperate to improve their families circumstances, the challenge is to create better systems and unless you are proposing such, then your complaining is as meaningful as a neighing horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Calhoun wrote: »
    That just tells me we are seeing as a nice juicy target for economic migrants.
    Wait until 1st November, just days ago the English Channel set a new 1 day record with x86 attempting to cross. The trafficking gangs are making a mint using Brexit as a marketing ploy to drum up extra business in Calais.
    Eighty-six migrants have been intercepted trying to cross the English Channel in small dinghies, the Home Office has said. The Tuesday total, which was spread over five incidents, is understood to be the largest number of migrants intercepted in a single day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

What I don’t understand is this term economic migrant ? To Ireland ? This place is a total ripoff. How can it make economic sense to move here ? Unless these migrants are all on seriously good wages ? Cost of living, rent etc. If I was a working migrant looking to make a few quid I wouldn’t be coming here.

Advertisement