Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They have been doing it for years, or have you never heard of "undocumented" irish in the states?
    I suppose it's because I haven't seen threads here decrying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Will you stop talking about the 80s and Irish emigration: they've emigrated to places they've had ties with, I would think there is nothing wrong with that.
    - This boat business needs to be shut down.
    Bring only profiles that would integrate in Irish economy. Send others money at source: it would cost us less, preventing us wasting tax payers money on f*ckin hotel bills for asylum seekers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

fisgon wrote: »
    The hypocrisy and ignorance of some people on this thread is typified by Grealish himself, who has ranted about people coming to Ireland to improve their lives. From his website....

"Like so many in the West of Ireland, many of the Grealish family had to emigrate in search of work — at one point there were seven of them abroad, and currently Noel has three siblings living in Boston and one each in Copenhagen, Chicago and Nebraska."

Did Noel's siblings get free bed and board in a state provided centre and 40 quid a week?

Did they get the rights to social housing not long after?

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/ireland/asylum.php

Albania will likely be in the EU by 2030.
    South Africa has been a democracy since 1994.
    Bangladesh? India? Pakistan?

Gerrup the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

biko wrote: »
    I suppose it's because I haven't seen threads here decrying it.

Irish people don't complain about Irish emigration the only whinge about immigration. Do as we say don't do as we do mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

The hypocrisy and ignorance of some people on this thread is typified by Grealish himself, who has ranted about people coming to Ireland to improve their lives. From his website....

"Like so many in the West of Ireland, many of the Grealish family had to emigrate in search of work — at one point there were seven of them abroad, and currently Noel has three siblings living in Boston and one each in Copenhagen, Chicago and Nebraska."

All of them being refugees/asylum seekers, presumably?

Or are you slightly confused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

mvl wrote: »
    Will you stop talking about the 80s and Irish emigration: they've emigrated to places they've had ties with, I would think there is nothing wrong with that.

Who says? You or the US immigration authorities?

There would be plenty of Africans with 'ties' to Ireland in Lagos and Kampala off the back of brothers / cousins / unlces in Ireland. Are they good to go an buy their air-ticket according to you?

How easy is it for an Irishman to go to America now.

Besides, us going to America was similar to a Nigerian going to another African country. Not a Nigerian coming to Ireland.

How easy is it for an Irishman to go to America now.

Besides, us going to America was similar to a Nigerian going to another African country. Not a Nigerian coming to Ireland

It wasn't easy then either. Most went on a spoof and hoped for the best.

Sounds like the famous 'White Australia' policy you're advocating there.

There's a conversation to be had about immigration in Ireland, but let's not pretend there wasn't hundreds of thousands of Irish going to America with the full intention of working illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Did Noel's siblings get free bed and board in a state provided centre and 40 quid a week?

Did they get the rights to social housing not long after?

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/ireland/asylum.php

Albania will likely be in the EU by 2030.
    South Africa has been a democracy since 1994.
    Bangladesh? India? Pakistan?

Gerrup the yard.

So only 1000 applicants are approved each year? Not sure why we are focusing on building what are essentially holding centres. Just use what's there or build one massive one!

Just process people quicker, let those that are genuine stay and actually deport those that are not.

......but where would the money be in that.........

Any idea why there are more Syrians accepted than applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Irish people don't complain about Irish emigration the only whinge about immigration. Do as we say don't do as we do mentality.

Yeah if you can find me a case of where thousands of irish people went to a country that they dont speak the language of and have nothing in common with the culture of and decided to keep practicing their own culture to an illegal and detrimental end while living off the governments coin then i will accept those comparisons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yeah if you can find me a case of where thousands of irish people went to a country that they dont speak the language of and have nothing in common with the culture of and decided to keep practicing their own culture to an illegal and detrimental end while living off the governments coin then i will accept those comparisons.

You don't get it , Irish white guilt is that we emigrated and stuff in the past so we must throw open the borders :):).

Immigration laws should mean nothing that's our atonement :p

Joking aside if we could have a mature conversation about it then it would be much simpler to make a case for those with actual need and those who are here to make bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Extracted from the 'Historical Lazy Whataboutery #101 Hand Manual' by any chance'?

Show up today at JFK or SYD today, without the correct visa or rights of passage and (very rightfully) get sent back to where you came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ireland should accept extra 1,500 refugees per year according to Migrant Council

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ireland-should-accept-extra-1-500-refugees-a-year-say-ngos-1.4017556

Who the hell are these people?

I see they have a website with not a single persons name attributable to the organization. http://www.irmcoalition.com/contact.html

The Irish Refugee and Migrant Coalition, according to their website, are made up of Immigrant Council of Ireland, Irish Refugee Council, Jesuit Refugee Service, Mayo Intercultural Action amounts others.

I see from the IT article that they say 'we should take our fair share'. I think our fair share is exactly zero. If they were to make an argument that it might be the moral thing to do fair enough but they are telling us we have a obligation and a duty to take them. In other words when we take them, with all the controversy and money/resources expended, we shouldn't even expect to be thanked for it, as we'd only be doing out duty in the first place. This is the tactics of the loony left if ever I seen it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Who the hell are these people?

I see they have a website with not a single persons name attributable to the organization. http://www.irmcoalition.com/contact.html

The Irish Refugee and Migrant Coalition, according to their website, are made up of Immigrant Council of Ireland, Irish Refugee Council, Jesuit Refugee Service, Mayo Intercultural Action amounts others.

I see from the IT article that they say 'we should take our fair share'. I think our fair share is exactly zero. If they were to make an argument that it might be the moral thing to do fair enough but they are telling us we have a obligation and a duty to take them. In other words when we take them, with all the controversy and money/resources expended, we shouldn't even expect to be thanked for it, as we'd only be doing out duty in the first place. This is the tactics of the loony left if ever I seen it.

So a mega-refugee quango / lobby group (kind of like when all the Power Rangers robots become the Megazord) that puts out statements representing the entire sector but attributable to precisely no individual? Yeah, I don't trust them.

I think the refugee thing is coming to a head in Ireland now. Much like Germany, Sweden and Denmark, people are starting to push back.

I'm actually pro-refugee by the way - much like when we took people from the Balkans during their wars, if people are genuinely in need, it's Ireland's duty to offer a helping hand.

We've now created a lucrative industry for property interest groups, the catering industry and the legal industry to profit of spoofers at the expense of genuine refugees. All cheerlead by the likes of po-faced Liam Whatshisface from Game of Thrones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yurt! wrote: »
    Most Irish in the 80s (I'm guessing it was around then given Grealish's age) went over on a spoof and had to regularise themselves afterwards via whatever means.

Let's be real, it's more likely than not at least one of them went over under such circumstances. They weren't going over on a extraordinary ability visa doing rocketry with NASA.

So you are guessing?? Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yes, irrefutable. I mean you just have to look at the Irish lad who was caught in the US thread to see that.

Anyone in the US, or any other country, should be repatriated ASAP once caught. Because there is no one in that thread agreeing with his deportation, eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes, irrefutable. I mean you just have to look at the Irish lad who was caught in the US thread to see that.

Anyone in the US, or any other country, should be repatriated ASAP once caught. Because there is no one in that thread agreeing with his deportation, eh??

In that thread how many were saying he should be allowed to stay? Many who would be against immigration to iteland saying "ah but he has a family and a business" double standards aplenty in that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Genuine people who are refugees aren't able to pay human traffickers to get into europe. Germany just recently said they're are willing to take in 25% of migrants that travel to Italy and now that they've broadcast that, it's only going to encourage more people to risk their lives.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-prepared-to-take-in-25-of-migrants-who-arrive-in-italy-by-sea/a-50427181

Now we have our own Irish Refugee and Migrant Coalition saying we should double our intake
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/refugee-intake-should-double-950755.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Europe is going to be ruined as is Ireland.

If not already.

So you are guessing?? Excellent.

I'll double down and say almost certainly that at least one of Grealish's brothers was over there living and working there illegally at one stage or another.

Here he is three years back going to bat for the Irish illegals in the States. Immigration rules appear to be for Africans only according to Deputy Grealish's worldview.

https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/88832/driving-licence-renewal-poses-threat-to-irish-in-us-says-grealish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

They have been doing it for years, or have you never heard of "undocumented" irish in the states?

How can ya claim welfare if your undocumented

How can ya claim welfare if your undocumented

''A fair interpretation of the federal statute and state regulation must result in the conclusion that illegal aliens should not receive any form of state public assistance. However, illegal aliens do, in fact, receive state public benefits. That's because the burden of determining lawful status in the U.S. is on the shoulders of county social services employees who have neither the legal jurisdiction nor the practical ability to determine one's immigration status. Only an immigration official or federal worker whom the Secretary of Homeland Security has authorized may determine the immigration status of a person in the country.''

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/articles/james-l-seward/what-benefits-can-illegal-aliens-receive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Now we have our own Irish Refugee and Migrant Coalition saying we should double our intake
    https://www.irishexami...d-double-950755.html

What Cuckoo land are those clowns living on?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

https://www.irishexami...d-double-950755.html

What Cuckoo land are those clowns living on?

They think we have oppressed them in some way the same as the African community.....

Funny how things change.....

Irish were worked as slaves but now we have those that didn't telling us we have to now work like slaves to pay immigrants way for the rest of their lives.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Some Irish people that i dont know worked illegally in the US so i should be grand with illegalls coming here.

People are really putting this forward as an argument?

Yurt! wrote: »
    It wasn't easy then either. Most went on a spoof and hoped for the best.

Sounds like the famous 'White Australia' policy you're advocating there.

There's a conversation to be had about immigration in Ireland, but let's not pretend there wasn't hundreds of thousands of Irish going to America with the full intention of working illegally.

At least their working illegal or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Some Irish people that i dont know worked illegally in the US so i should be grand with illegalls coming here.

I think Yurt! believes these Irish people went over to the US during the Great Depression or something...

WB Yokes wrote: »

As was stated before. What's here for them from economic stand point. Saying working a min wage job here is great with he cost of living so high? What's the future without garunteed supports. So this bollix of they'll work. Even if they do they will most definitely still be rely on state supports for a very long time either way. Work or don't work.

PostWoke wrote: »
    I think Yurt! believes these Irish people went over to the US during the Great Depression or something...

I'm not making the argument for illegal immigration in case you think I am. I hold that uncontrolled immigration is a net-negative for whatever society is subjected to it.

What I was angling at was that Grealish is on his soapbox railing against Africans coming to his country, when his siblings were probably in violation of immigration law in the US at one stage or another.

And as an elected representative, he seeks to undermine the immigration laws of another sovereign state - because shur, aren't all the boys from Galway over on a spoof great craic, and aren't they more deserving than the black fellas??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

Drive up around the big tree pub in Dublin and see the amount of gyspies hanging around every morning , ready to go off begging and pick pocketing for the day. All live in bedsits or houses paid for by the state. They're all getting social welfare aswell , all they're good for is begging and having babies , so much for taking in all these " doctors and engineers "

Seems to be a lot living in the hostels in Gardiner St as well.

Serious question, are Roma folks turning up here, presenting as homeless and skint, and being put into hotels or even family hubs? Have any recently arrived Roma actually managed to get on the housing list without having done a days work in the country? There's Roma living in private build estates in Blanch- given how hard it is for ANYONE to acquire a rental property, I somehow doubt landlords would have these people at the top of their list for tenants if they themselves have to pick up the rent, thus you would assume the properties were acquired by the council for rental.

From what I recall an EU citizen normally has to have worked for two years to avail of any type of social supports. Not only that but a state can deport EU citizens who after a few months seem to have no reasonable reason for residing in the state.

Advertisement