Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'm not making the argument for illegal immigration in case you think I am. I hold that uncontrolled immigration is a net-negative for whatever society is subjected to it.

What I was angling at was that Grealish is on his soapbox railing against Africans coming to his country, when his siblings were probably in violation of immigration law in the US at one stage or another.

And as an elected representative, he seeks to undermine the immigration laws of another sovereign state - because shur, aren't all the boys from Galway over on a spoof great craic, and aren't they more deserving than the black fellas??

There’s that “probably” again.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Seems to be a lot living in the hostels in Gardiner St as well.

Serious question, are Roma folks turning up here, presenting as homeless and skint, and being put into hotels or even family hubs? Have any recently arrived Roma actually managed to get on the housing list without having done a days work in the country? There's Roma living in private build estates in Blanch- given how hard it is for ANYONE to acquire a rental property, I somehow doubt landlords would have these people at the top of their list for tenants if they themselves have to pick up the rent, thus you would assume the properties were acquired by the council for rental.

From what I recall an EU citizen normally has to have worked for two years to avail of any type of social supports. Not only that but a state can deport EU citizens who after a few months seem to have no reasonable reason for residing in the state.

Mainly colored african folks around where i am, there actually sound enough was talking to a few of them they play football in the local pitch. All they do is walk down to the beach everyday, hopefully they don't turn to crime I think a few people in the town have given them part times jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There’s that “probably” again.

Yep, they probably were on a spoof over there. Sorry I can't help you further and thanks for the snarky contribution.

Yep, they probably were on a spoof over there. Sorry I can't help you further and thanks for the snarky contribution.

You’re probably making that up, as you’ve no idea how they got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You’re probably making that up, as you’ve no idea how they got there.

It was the 80's. They were a west of Ireland family, they weren't going to work on particle physics at MIT or to play with the New York Cosmos with Franz Beckenbauer.

You've heard of the Morrison visa scheme? A congress initiative in the early 90s specifically designed to regularize the 10s of thousands of Irish that arrived the previous decade were working illegally and had become a political thorn.

Note Grealish's regular speaking up for the poor auld divils who are undocumented speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

It was the 80's. They were a west of Ireland family, they weren't going to work on particle physics at MIT or to play with the New York Cosmos with Franz Beckenbauer.

You've heard of the Morrison visa scheme? A congress inititave in the early 90s specifically designed to regularize the 10s of thousands of Irish that arrived the previous decade, were working illegally and had become a political thorn.

Note Grealish's regular speaking up for the the poor auld divils who are undocumented speaks volumes.

Probably more waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

As was stated before. What's here for them from economic stand point. Saying working a min wage job here is great with he cost of living so high? What's the future without garunteed supports. So this bollix of they'll work. Even if they do they will most definitely still be rely on state supports for a very long time either way. Work or don't work.

+1 , considering how narrow our tax band is anyway, there is literally no benefit to Ireland to let anyone in who isn't guaranteed to be earning over 30k a year within a year or two of landing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Roma gypsies are now getting free travel, housing and many other benefits....

This is pure madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Roma gypsies are now getting free travel, housing and many other benefits....

This is pure madness.

A family of them live near me, council house and i see them go over the post office for their free money. Not a chance anyone ever employed them here. How are they getting welfare and a house?

WB Yokes wrote: »
    A family of them live near me, council house and i see them go over the post office for their free money. Not a chance anyone ever employed them here. How are they getting welfare and a house?

As they are coming from a member of the EU....

It's actually so unreal most won't believe me when I tell them...

They're out robbing and begging then get on the bus with their new welfare pass and away they go....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Eu citizens, unfortunately!

It's actually so unreal most won't believe me when I tell them...

They're out robbing and begging then get on the bus with their new welfare pass and away they go....

Not sure where they come from. Even if in the EU i thought you had to work for a while before you are eleigible for welfare?

Thats madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

But how many white people from Poland could just show up, claim destitution and get a house?

Answer is, none.

Of the 10,000 people living in emergency accommodation it would seem a sizeable proportion are Roma. After all they seem to be heavily present in the areas of Dublin that most of the low quality hostels and B&B's are in (Gardiner St, NCR) Coming to a new country with no money, no accommodation prepared and no intent to find work is not my definition of genuine homelessness.

And not a single TD will call this scam out. I don't even respect Grealish- he's gone into hiding now, rather than coming out fighting wasters like Joe Loughnane armed with statistics and facts that partly prove his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Not sure where they come from. Even if in the EU i thought you had to work for a while before you are eleigible for welfare?

Thats madness.

The thing I can't get. I know Irish lads on the dole for a couple of months and they were literally chased and harassed by government agencies back to work. Why the same not happening with this lot?

That time when air traffic was stopped because of the volcano in Iceland, they uncovered a scam roma gypsys collecting welfare and child benefit in numerous countries, despite not living there full time.

But how many white people from Poland could just show up, claim destitution and get a house?

Answer is, none.

Of the 10,000 people living in emergency accomadation it would seem a sizeable proportion are Roma. Coming to a new country with no money, no accomadation prepared and no intent to find work is not my definition of genuine homelessness.

And not a single TD will call this scam out. I don't even respect Grealish- he's gone into hiding now, rather than coming out fighting wasters like Joe Loughnane armed with statistics and facts that partly prove his comments.

Think of it as a holiday for the roma. Present here as homeless n dublin corpo will put ya up in a hotel until such time as they can provide ya with social housing n full welfare.
    Best little country in the world!

The thing I can't get. I know Irish lads on the dole for a couple of months and they were literally chased and harassed by government agencies back to work. Why the same not happening with this lot?

Im sure a box gets ticked "special circumstances". You dont get left on the dole these days you get hounded till you get a job or a course so there is obviously underhanded stuff going on.

The longer u are on the dole the less hassle you get. Like our native travellers, virtually unemployable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That time when air traffic was stopped because of the volcano in Iceland, they uncovered a scam roma gypsys collecting welfare and child benefit in numerous countries, despite not living there full time.

Wasnt just roma

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/social-welfare-fraud-7-4742151-Jul2019/%3famp=1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/ash-cloud-crisis-exposes-welfare-tourists-26664210.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

welfare fraud is rampant here, tonnes of cases like that. The roma gypsies pull every trick in the book.

If i remember correctly many (most?) Of those cases were Polish people flying over and claiming.

If i remember correctly many (most?) Of those cases were Polish people flying over and claiming.

Most were indeed. But anyone that could was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

enricoh wrote: »
    The longer u are on the dole the less hassle you get. Like our native travellers, virtually unemployable.

Think it's a case of if they know y'all work the more yer hounded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Because they're afraid of the accusations of being racist.

I am so fcukibf tired of the racist card....

We are a one as in a human being.... I could not give a flying fluck if you are yellow, purple or green.....

I'm so sick of hearing it....

Have we oppressed these people in some way???

Eh no this is a small island that I'd it were invaded tomorrow we would need the Brits or USA to help...

We want Ireland to be just that Ireland and not involved in sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Last nights bit on prime time about Oughterard, Miriam diving straight in looking for a racist angle.

I don't think you watched that video because she clearly attacks the minister for a lot longer than she gently questions the locals? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

We dont even know if thats what he said. We have the word of one person who has an agenda.

There's a video...….

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Source for this? Not surprising in the least. Guess we need more volcanic eruptions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Can we get maybe one of the Italian volcanoes to create a wall of hardened magma to stop these asylum scammers next?

"Those who failed to sign on and could not provide an acceptable explanation will have lost their minimum Jobseekers Allowance of €784 -- €196 a week -- for the four-week period."

Why did they word it like this? Surely you have to go every week on your set day or it's not collectable? How does the scratch work these days?

Advertisement