Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

**as an aside there are three million UK immigrants living all over Europe. A massive number.. Is that somehow different?

Pending brexit, they are all LEGALLY living-working-travelling in the EU.

That is very different indeed from Pakistan, Albanian or Algerian lads jumping out of trucks and claiming asylum. Or sham marriges and document fraud.

As an aside, Romanians have overtaken the Irish population in the UK, all in less than a decade.
    Irish are afterall very close neighbours and share language and culture very closely with the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

blueshade wrote: »
    How many of those 3 million UK immigrants are claiming to be asylum seekers? None, because A. they have the right to be in Europe and to be in those countries and B. they aren't expecting the host countries to provide them with food, clothing, education, housing, free medical care etc. Many, if not most of them will be working and contributing with skills those countries need and not be engaged in sham marriages or working in the black economy as delivery drivers/taxi drivers.

I think this bears repeating. UK nationals living in other EU member states are not immigrants. They're EU citizens (for now at least), exercising their rights as EU citizens to live and work anywhere in the EU. Freedom of movement is one of the EU's core principles.

Trying to equate their case with migrants from outside the EU is incorrect, but also an attempt to advance the idea that EU member states should extend the same consideration to non-EU migrants as they do EU citizens.

EU citizenship was a carefully crafted compromise between peoples who share a common heritage and aspire to a mutually beneficial future. It cant be extended carelessly. Turkey for example will never be permitted to join the EU now that the concept of EU citizenship is established.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

We had our own much longer running version of that up north.

So ignorance is no excuse. Ireland avoided the troubles of Northern Ireland and Yugoslavia because it didn't have ethnic diversity. Northern Ireland and Yugoslavia had their problems because they had ethnic diversity. To the extent they could keep a lid on things, it was because of state repression.

I've no interest in Ireland following the UK down the path of a multi-ethnic state held together by police surveillance, activist media and repressive laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JonnyHanlon

So they’re ok but then other ones aren’t. Is it cos theyre black?

Wonder will you be so open minded about English immigrants when thousands of them start moving here if it’s no deal brexit.

English and Irish are pretty much identical in cultural terms so what would be the problem provided they meet all legal requirements to arrive?

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Can any of you liberals explain how you will keep dangerous migrants out?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Pending brexit, they are all LEGALLY living-working-travelling in the EU.

That is very different indeed from Pakistan, Albanian or Algerian lads jumping out of trucks and claiming asylum. Or sham marriges and document fraud.

As an aside, Romanians have overtaken the Irish population in the UK, all in less than a decade.
    Irish are afterall very close neighbours and share language and culture very closely with the uk.

Romania is in the EU. Romanians have a right to be in Britain (for now anyways)
    Do you know how many illegal immigrants we have here? Do you know how many registered asylum seekers we have here? Do you know how many English immigrants we have here?

Sand wrote: »
    I think this bears repeating. UK nationals living in other EU member states are not immigrants. They're EU citizens (for now at least), exercising their rights as EU citizens to live and work anywhere in the EU. Freedom of movement is one of the EU's core principles.

Trying to equate their case with migrants from outside the EU is incorrect, but also an attempt to advance the idea that EU member states should extend the same consideration to non-EU migrants as they do EU citizens.

EU citizenship was a carefully crafted compromise between peoples who share a common heritage and aspire to a mutually beneficial future. It cant be extended carelessly. Turkey for example will never be permitted to join the EU now that the concept of EU citizenship is established.

The definition of immigrant is someone from a different country coming into yours. There is absolutely no difference between an English lad moving here and studying and a Pakistani lad moving here to study. Rest of your post screams white supremacy weakly dressed up tbh

English and Irish are pretty much identical in cultural terms so what would be the problem provided they meet all legal requirements to arrive?

Wouldn’t say that out loud on the shankill or many parts of certain British cities

Far more concerned about far right lunatic bots ranting anywhere possible online than immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will just say it's not true and we have home grown filth etc....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Do you know how many illegal immigrants we have here? Do you know how many registered asylum seekers we have here? Do you know how many English immigrants we have here?

We know how many registered asylum seekers there are here. What we don't know is the number of illegals who entered the country as tourists and never left. We don't know the number of illegals who came as language students and never left. We don't know how many who were issued with deportation orders actually were deported.

We only need to take a look around any town or city in Ireland to know that the number of non EU migrants living here is massively different to the official numbers. Nobody has a problem with genuine asylum seekers being here, as long as they behave themselves, respect the laws and customs of our country and leave when their home countries are safe. Nobody has a problem with legal migrants who have skills that we need being here either, as long as they behave themselves and leave stone age cultural beliefs and ideologies behind them.

Find it funny people against immigration unless it’s ‘legal and acceptable.’

One of the more hated groups of immigrants in the U.K. are Polish and Eastern Europeans in general.

Theyre white and perfectly entitled to be there too.

Ireland’s anti immigrant cohort probably still in its larval stage and hasn’t gotten to them yet.
    Won’t be long by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Correct (as someone had to explain to you).

The example was to demonstrate the growing phenomena and ease of modern mass migration. Romania isn't war-torn, yet it is overtaking Irish influence in Ireland's only real neighbour, all in a handful of years.
    Nothing wrong with them, just somewhat of a phenomena at the speed of movement from the EU2. There will likely be more waves from the next 6 (W.Balkans), however it does put pressure on public services if the increase is above natural movement.
    Do you?

Illegal migrants by their nature, often don't tell everyone of their whereabouts, or overly keen to complete census forms. The cash only, tax-free, black market and organised crime industries are their primary objective, often via document fraud: to obtain taxi licences, use of sham marriges and so on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is absolutely no difference between an English lad moving here and studying and a Pakistani lad moving here to study.
    In naive land there isn't, in actual reality land there is. If there wasn't there wouldn't be the differences in exposure to poverty, racism and crime between native English people and Pakistani origin people in the UK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Correct (as someone had to explain to you).

The example was to demonstrate the growing phenomena and ease of modern mass migration. Romania isn't war-torn, yet it is overtaking Irish influence in Ireland's only real neighbour, all in a handful of years.
    Nothing wrong with them, just somewhat of a phenomena at the speed of movement from the EU2. There will likely be more waves from the next 6 (W.Balkans), however it does put pressure on public services if the increase is above natural movement.

Do you?

Illegal migrants by their nature, often don't tell everyone of their whereabouts, or overly keen to complete census forms. The cash only, tax-free, black market and organised crime industries are their primary objective, often via document fraud: to obtain taxi licences, use of sham marriges and so on.

How is Romanian ‘influence’ growing in England? There’s millions of people of Irish descent in England, yet Ireland has little to no influence in England.
    Is there any evidence at all for organized crime industries riddled with illegal immigrants and using sham marriages here? I don’t doubt sham marriages happen at all. I know a couple of people did it to make easy money. Doubt it’s as rampant as you believe though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

How is Romanian ‘influence’ growing in England? There’s millions of people of Irish descent in England, yet Ireland has little to no influence in England.
    Is there any evidence at all for organized crime industries riddled with illegal immigrants and using sham marriages here? I don’t doubt sham marriages happen at all. I know a couple of people did it to make easy money. Doubt it’s as rampant as you believe though.

That's up to gardai to investigate if they choose. Illegal and sham marriages won't have any effect on yours or my life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So they’re ok but then other ones aren’t. Is it cos theyre black?
    Actually, in essence and to be simplistic about it, yes. As I pointed out populations that stand out from the background population, well, stand out. History, both current and past has consistently shown that humanity is very much a local, parochial, tribal species. The Irish can be extremely parochial even among ourselves, people who the same. How are the Travellers regarded? How well are they doing?

Introduce people who stand out and what do you think is going to happen? As has happened in every single multicultural nation in Europe. Which population is more likely to be poorer, figure higher in the crime stats; Brown people or White? Answers to the usual address. And these are demonstrable facts and trends over many nations over many many years. Why do you think Ireland and the Irish will somehow be magically different this time? What's that Einstein quote about doing the same damned thing every time and still expecting a different result?

Like Sand said I also do not want to be living in some multi ethnic state built on BS and utter naivety like the UK or France or Sweden with all that bloody nonsense that they have to deal with. Though I fear it's somewhat too late as ghettoisation has already kicked off in a small way here, because of the influx during "the boom".
    Wonder will you be so open minded about English immigrants when thousands of them start moving here if it’s no deal brexit.
    If they don't stick out, why not? PLus I'd bet it won't happen. It'll be like those Yanks who swore they'd move to Canada if Trump got elected and when he did the Canadian border guards weren't concerned(and likely breathed a sigh of relief).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    In naive land there isn't, in actual reality land there is. If there wasn't there wouldn't be the differences in exposure to poverty, racism and crime between native English people and Pakistani origin people in the UK.

Every spar and centra in the country has a few Indian or Pakistani or fill in the blank here work g in them while they’re studying.

While they’re working here. Paying taxes. Contributing while getting an education in most cases.

The English and Irish situations aren’t comparable at all. Runs a lot longer and a little deeper when it comes to the Colonies relationship to Britain and migration there just isn’t at all the same as those lads migrating here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 johnmc76

They can't and won't. They'll just call you a racist and every other -ist that they can think of.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    That's up to gardai to investigate if they choose. Illegal and sham marriages won't have any effect on yours or my life.

Believe it or not Gardai and I think it’s dept of foreign affairs been doing huge crack down on it last years. Even heavily investigating couples that already married. Both legit and sham

• Advertisement

Believe it or not Gardai and I think it’s dept of foreign affairs been doing huge crack down on it last years. Even heavily investigating couples that already married. Both legit and sham

Good for them. They are paid to do so anyway. I'm just saying that it won't have any effect on my life if people choose to get married for fraudulent reasons. More luck to them if they get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Find it funny people against immigration unless it’s ‘legal and acceptable.’

One of the more hated groups of immigrants in the U.K. are Polish and Eastern Europeans in general.

Theyre white and perfectly entitled to be there too.

Ireland’s anti immigrant cohort probably still in its larval stage and hasn’t gotten to them yet.
    Won’t be long by the looks of things.

Ive yet to meet anyone here that had anything positive to say about roma gypsies. The people that despised them the most were romanian!

Far more concerned about far right lunatic bots ranting anywhere possible online than immigrants.

The Iranian who pretended to be an Afghan teen to get into Germany, and went on to rape and murder a 19 year old German girl, how do you keep scum like that out?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Good for them. They are paid to do so anyway. I'm just saying that it won't have any effect on my life if people choose to get married for fraudulent reasons. More luck to them if they get away with it

Folks here would be amazed how many immigrants are actually deported and how organized the Irish government are in doing it. I know cos my da was army responsible for showing the relevant depts logistics on coordinating round up days and chartering planes to repatriate them in a logical way so one plane full of Nigerians back to Lagos this week. Another plane full of Angolans HOC to Angola the next week and so on. We had been sending them home one by one accompanied by on or two minders up to that. At huge expense to the state.
    We’re really quite ood at it now but you don’t see that mentioned as it’s not something the government brag about. Probably look bad in the papers.

enricoh wrote: »
    Ive yet to meet anyone here that had anything positive to say about roma gypsies. The people that despised them the most were romanian!

Noticed a huge drop off in the amount of Roma here funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

If you did a little further research you’d find Selim is a total wackball and totally ignored by govt and media outside the worst like 98fm having him on to stir up some outrage ratings

**none of his demands WRT schools were implemented anywhere.

You really are clueless. He is the main spokesman for Clonskeagh mosque which is the HQ of the all things Muslim in Ireland. The mosque run by the Halawas who the Govt bent over backwards for to get the boss man's son out of jail in Egypt.
    Every time there's some Govt photo shoot required with Muslims, where do Leo, Charley and even Josepha head to?

Your out of your depth on this subject but I doubt that'll stop you

The Iranian who pretended to be an Afghan teen to get into Germany, and went on to rape and murder a 19 year old German girl, how do you keep scum like that out?

Thereve been two or three Irish lads have been done for murder in places like Australia the past few years. How do you keep scum like that out?
    Better not to generalize eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Folks here would be amazed how many immigrants are actually deported and how organized the Irish government are in doing it. I know cos my da

1800 deportation in 8 years .

Lol you actually said "I know cos my da"

Game over kid

Folks here would be amazed how many immigrants are actually deported and how organized the Irish government are in doing it. I know cos my da was army responsible for showing the relevant depts logistics on coordinating round up days and chartering planes to repatriate them in a logical way so one plane full of Nigerians back to Lagos this week. Another plane full of Angolans HOC to Angola the next week and so on. We had been sending them home one by one accompanied by on or two minders up to that. At huge expense to the state.
    We’re really quite ood at it now but you don’t see that mentioned as it’s not something the government brag about. Probably look bad in the papers.

I wasn't aware of that. There is hope for us yet. Keep the good ones ,boot out the wasters

• Advertisement

Thereve been two or three Irish lads have been done for murder in places like Australia the past few years. How do you keep scum like that out?
    Better not to generalize eh?

Won't even attempt an answer. Pathetic.

Did the German girl not have a right to live in safety in her own country?

Advertisement