Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

But aren't you just engaging in cheap point scoring.

No use replying to them, I sent them into the ether with my last post.
    Geuze wrote: »
    The 2004 vote stands. No change. The vast majority agree with that vote.

We should process AS claims in the port/airport within 7 days max, then give outcome.

We should aim, eventually, to deport bogus AS, within 24 hours.

1000% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Italian ports cannot be considered safe because of the coronavirus epidemic and will not let charity migrant boats dock, the government has ruled.

The decision was taken late on Tuesday after a ship operated by the German non-governmental group Sea-Eye picked up some 150 people off Libya and headed towards Italy.

“For the entire duration of the national health emergency caused by the spread of the Covid-19 virus, Italian ports cannot guarantee the requisites needed to be classified and defined as a place of safety,” the decree said.

The national emergency is set to expire on July 31st, but the deadline might be extended.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/italy-closes-ports-to-migrant-ships-because-of-coronavirus-1.4223895

We won’t be taking and in from Italy for a while anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hopefully the Italian July deadline will be extended indefinitely.

What's it with these German-captained NGO migrant ferries (working with people smugglers in Northern Africa) trying to flood Europe with economic migrants?
    Germany really screwed up the last century with their two world wars, so they really do need to settle down trying to destroy the continent this century ..... but they've started out badly already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

ijohhj wrote: »
    I also see some twitter heads moaning about the 2004 referendum and wanting it repealed. Undemocratic bellends, if they can't respect votes they shouldn't live in a country that benefits from having a vote.

Doesn't necessarily need repealing. As it stands, a majority Dail vote could alter our citizenship rules. Paul Murphy was on the radio campaigning for this some time ago. When it was put to him that there was a vote on it and some might think he was trying to crcumvent democracy, he prattled on about it being 15 years ago and, with no evidence, said voters were lied to about the scale of the problem.

He is technically right. The Dail could overturn it without a referendum. But it would be a damning indictment that they have no respect for our laws.

Look at Britain’s history though.

They’re not alone on being a European colonial power that went everywhere and colonized.

They are the only country dealing with this. And it’s not the immigrants.
    It’s a toxic media owners by a handful of billionaires (think it’s 6?)

Ignore the rich elites making billions off this disaster and the parasites backing them!
    They’re not the problem!

Look over there at the immigrants who work in the nhs and the tube and the care service! They’re the problem!

If everyone who wants to go to Europe could board a ship that ends up with them getting to the EU mainland what would your solution be towards the allocation of these people?

• Advertisement

it being 15 years ago and, with no evidence, said voters were lied to about the scale of the problem.

Ah yes, 15 years ago, before the wheel was even invented! :pac: Feckin anti-democratic chancer. Doesn't matter if the scale was exaggerated, it should be happening exactly zero times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ah yes, 15 years ago, before the wheel was even invented! :pac: Feckin anti-democratic chancer. Doesn't matter if the scale was exaggerated, it should be happening exactly zero times.

See Simon Coveney has just decided to donate 6 million to Palestine, right in the middle of a domestic crisis.

Doesn't necessarily need repealing. As it stands, a majority Dail vote could alter our citizenship rules. Paul Murphy was on the radio campaigning for this some time ago. When it was put to him that there was a vote on it and some might think he was trying to crcumvent democracy, he prattled on about it being 15 years ago and, with no evidence, said voters were lied to about the scale of the problem.

He is technically right. The Dail could overturn it without a referendum. But it would be a damning indictment that they have no respect for our laws.

58% of all asylum seeking women over the age of 16 were pregnant upon claiming asylum in the years prior to the referendum.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/information%20note.pdf/Files/information%20note.pdf

A staggering stat. We were known as a soft touch for a few years after, but word got out that our laws had changed and the number of asylum seekers coming here drastically dropped off(it was circa 10k per annum in 2005).

Yet Murphy claims that the law didn’t encourage economic migrants to claim asylum here and the electorate were lied to? He’s a spoofer.

See Simon Coveney has just decided to donate 6 million to Palestine, right in the middle of a domestic crisis.

... what? Him and his predecessor are on the books as doing everything in their power to hurt Palestine. They refused to ratify that seanaid vote from years ago, no?

I have zero issues with helping Palestine, however. Ratifying the seanaid's decision is more beneficial to them than hurting us for another 6m. What a strange little goblin he is. Strange decision.

EDIT:

Ah, it's for a solar power plant in Gaza. Sure he essentially just gave that money to Israel so. Netenyahu literally ran on annexing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

6 million WTF,

Like what kind of gob****es are we voting these lot in, fair enough they've done a good job over the last few weeks but i reckon they had to pull out all the stops in order for there failings in the past not to come to fruition

The places this money could go in Ireland, like jesus f**kin A

• Advertisement

The places this money could go in Ireland, like jesus f**kin A

Yes, why would Ireland, with 800 years of oppression, help other countries that are currently facing oppression.

Though I agree there are better and cheaper ways to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yes, why would Ireland, with 800 years of oppression, help other countries that are currently facing oppression.

Charity from a country that needs charity. Hilarious. I'm sure it will be reciprocal.

Charity from a country that needs charity. Hilarious. I'm sure it will be reciprocal.

Ah yes, the most embattled country in the world will definitely be doing so very soon, good idea there.

Read a newspaper lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Amazing :confused:

Seeing as Palestinians aren't among our migrants (for obvious reasons), Paddy was posting OT and really should've started his own thread. Can we get back to the migrants we do have...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

But we're not helping other countries facing oppression. How is having the upwardly mobile of developing nations moving here to live on social welfare helping anything?

🙈🙉🙊

But we're not helping other countries facing oppression. How is having the upwardly mobile of developing nations moving here to live on social welfare helping anything?

That comment was aimed at Palestine.

There are no Palestinians here, for reasons I pray are obvious to you.

Please follow along.

That comment was aimed at Palestine.

There are no Palestinians here, for reasons I pray are obvious to you.

Please follow along.

Are you sure? I've seen plenty of Palestinian flags around the place, big supporters of the Dubs and Glasgow Celtic apparently. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Rooskey n oughterards loss has become cahersiveens gain.
    https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-outbreak-confirmed-at-hotel-in-kerry-town-used-to-house-asylum-seekers-994862.html
    In January the department of Justice denied the hotel was to become a direct provision centre.
    It opened as one last month miraculously.
    The hse told locals they would inform them if any coronavirus was in the centre. Locals demanded a meeting with management to see if rumours of residents having it were true.
    They admitted that 5 residents tested positive 5 days before!
    What an asset to cahersiveen!

Kivaro wrote: »
    I think that it is extraordinary that 150 asylum seekers who are currently being housed in Dublin hotels are now being moved to a small town on the west coast of Kerry.

Surely this renovated-hotel-for-asylum-seekers in Cahersiveen should be utilised instead to house vulnerable people of all ages where Covid-19 will be lethal and a probable death sentence to them if contracted? Especially for the immune-comprised or people with underlying health conditions who live in a Covid-19 epicenter like Dublin.

There will be a glut of hotel rooms available in Dublin in the coming weeks and months, so there will be plenty of room to house asylum seekers.
    This move of asylum seekers to the hotel in the centre of the town, according to the Department of Justice & Equality, is part of its emergency response to Covid-19. As usual, there was no consultation with local people or public representatives on the move. Apparently the Department of Justice earlier this year denied that there were plans for a direct provision centre for the town of Cahersiveen.
    It seemed they lied.

This is an intolerable, untimely, and unfair decision by the government. More so to do it during a historical pandemic when the local population and local services are already under enormous strain.
    More here.
    I posted this over a month again. I suggested that instead of moving healthy and strong asylum seekers, we should be moving vulnerable people to the hotel in Cahersiveen instead.

But no, the Department of Justice had to protect asylum seekers from getting Covid-19, so moved them to to the farthest reaches of western Ireland. And what did the recently transferred asylum seekers from Dublin bring with them besides their suitcases? Covid-19.
    "Four asylum seekers at the Skellig Star in Caherciveen tested positive and were transferred to Cork last Tuesday. However, there are fears locally that the number of positive cases could be higher." More here.

I heard some news on the RTE Radio 1 news early this morning and of course they were making a big deal out of it, but they were not telling us the full story, which is why I dug a little further.
    Asylum seekers are allowed to move about from their hotels in Dublin; did not anyone think about testing before sending them to Kerry?
    It was the height of insanity moving asylum seekers from a virus hotspot during a deadly worldwide pandemic to a remote Irish village on the west coast of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Kivaro wrote: »
    I posted this over a month again. I suggested that instead of moving healthy and strong asylum seekers, we should be moving vulnerable people to the hotel in Cahersiveen instead.

But no, the Department of Justice had to protect asylum seekers from getting Covid-19, so moved them to to the farthest reaches of western Ireland. And what did the recently transferred asylum seekers from Dublin bring with them besides their suitcases? Covid-19.
    "Four asylum seekers at the Skellig Star in Caherciveen tested positive and were transferred to Cork last Tuesday. However, there are fears locally that the number of positive cases could be higher." More here.

I heard some news on the RTE Radio 1 news early this morning and of course they were making a big deal out of it, but they were not telling us the full story, which is why I dug a little further.
    Asylum seekers are allowed to move about from their hotels in Dublin; did not anyone think about testing before sending them to Kerry?
    It was the height of insanity moving asylum seekers from a virus hotspot during a deadly worldwide pandemic to a remote Irish village on the west coast of Ireland.

The height of insanity or the height of cute-hoorism?
    Why go through a process of consulting and setting up a new asylum center and all the possible resistance that might meet when you can do it under cover of 'an emergency'.
    No doubt you'll be hearing a lot of "well sure, now that they're already there..." about a whole host of centers that will be stealth opened in such a manner.
    Our governement really are a disgusting bunch.

My concern is the transfer of asylum seekers out of Dublin hotels into small Irish towns/villages without testing them for a deadly virus during a worldwide pandemic. It does not make sense. They already sent asylum seekers with Covid-19 to Cahersiveen, so it might be an idea to test them prior to any further moves. That makes sense.

The rules simingly don't apply to some people.

🙈🙉🙊

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/michael-clifford-towns-anxiety-over-hotel-goes-viral-995106.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This has to be read to be believed.

The government snuck asylum seekers into Caherciveen overnight. A month previous they publicly stated that no asylum seekers were being moved into the area.

Told locals it was a coronavirus precaution. They were being moved out from Dublin and into an area with no cases of Coronavirus.

The asylum Seekers now have coronavirus. They weren’t checked before being moved down from Dublin.

The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/michael-clifford-towns-anxiety-over-hotel-goes-viral-995106.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The government snuck asylum seekers into Caherciveen overnight. A month previous they publicly stated that no asylum seekers were being moved into the area.

Told locals it was a coronavirus precaution. They were being moved out from Dublin and into an area with no cases of Coronavirus.

The asylum Seekers now have coronavirus. They weren’t checked before being moved down from Dublin.

The mind boggles.

I really wish we just wouldn't take in so many asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LeYouth wrote: »
    I really wish we just wouldn't take in so many asylum seekers.

We shouldn't be taking ANY more than what we already have until we have processed their claims, returned those with no valid one, and restructured the criteria and process generally.

We have enough problems, and are about to have a lot more - plus we already donate a fortune in overseas aid as it is.

Charity starts at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was a big piece about direct provision centres on 6one news there on rte, the usual rte agenda driven tripe.
    The reporter was doing the report from outside some luxury hotel and spa they were relocated to!
    Let's just give all the spoofers an amnesty, a 3 bed semi and full welfare. We've a million on the dole now, what's another 5 or 10k!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

DelaneyIn wrote: »

The mind boggles.

Charlie Flanagan's legacy.

enricoh wrote: »
    There was a big piece about direct provision centres on 6one news there on rte, the usual rte agenda driven tripe.
    The reporter was doing the report from outside some luxury hotel and spa they were relocated to!
    Let's just give all the spoofers an amnesty, a 3 bed semi and full welfare. We've a million on the dole now, what's another 5 or 10k!
    RTE blitzes us with asylum seekers stories at least a couple of times per week. They had a big segment again on the RTE Radio 1 news this morning. They were calling for separate accommodation for each and every asylum seeker. They previously pushed for immediate housing for asylum seekers as soon as they get here, bypassing any direct provision centres.

RTE finds some NGO report to further the current cause célèbre of asylum plight and then inundates us with interviews and report rehashing. Anytime they "discuss" (discuss as in only one side is presented) asylum seekers, they use a special tone to talk down to us.

• Advertisement

An Independent TD has said he, as well as businesses and community leaders in Caherciveen, Co Kerry, want the Department of Justice to move residents of a direct provision centre where there has been an outbreak of Covid-19 back to “where they brought them from”.

Danny Healy-Rae said he has been asked to approach the department to tell it to move the asylum seekers in the Skellig Star Hotel out of the premises and the town.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/move-direct-provision-group-out-of-kerry-says-healy-rae-995851.html

The locals don’t want the centre there and the asylum seekers don’t want to be there. The so called “welcoming committee” consisted of two people who weren’t even “local” locals...

Every single time they put these centres in towns in the middle of nowhere.

How many of these asylum seekers have had their initial claims refused and are undergoing appeals? This is what is leading the situation.
    For prioritised applications, decisions are made within four to five months. Non-prioritised asylum seeker applications can take between nine to 10 months while the median time for an application is estimated to be 15.2 months at the end of October this year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/figures-reveal-nearly-1000-asylum-seekers-waiting-over-four-years-to-be-processed-965504.html

This needs to be sped up and deportations need to happen once an appeal has again been refused. This is why so many are in direct provision for a year and more.

Advertisement