Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭alexv

enricoh wrote: »
    There was a big piece about direct provision centres on 6one news there on rte, the usual rte agenda driven tripe.
    The reporter was doing the report from outside some luxury hotel and spa they were relocated to!
    Let's just give all the spoofers an amnesty, a 3 bed semi and full welfare. We've a million on the dole now, what's another 5 or 10k!

Rte needs to be investigated for bias, restructured and partially defunded. I'm sure there are many working there who are disgusted that the liberal totalitarian agenda of the Director General and her cronies has destroyed a previously respected organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

alexv wrote: »
    Rte needs to be investigated for bias, restructured and partially defunded. I'm sure there are many working there who are disgusted that the liberal totalitarian agenda of the Director General and her cronies has destroyed a previously respected organization.
    I was thinking about that recently.
    The whole organisation cannot be full of liberal left lunatics. I actually believe that it's just a few at the top who are orchestrating RTE's extreme liberal drive. Anytime a new reporter comes along they try to be as liberal sounding with their reporting as possible. What else can they do? They know that they will be confined to the office if they do not go along with the program.

RTE reminds me of George Orwell's 1984 on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Kivaro wrote: »
    I was thinking about that recently.
    The whole organisation cannot be full of liberal left lunatics. I actually believe that it's just a few at the top who are orchestrating RTE's extreme liberal drive. Anytime a new reporter comes along they try to be as liberal sounding with their reporting as possible. What else can they do? They know that they will be confined to the office if they do not go along with the program.

RTE reminds me of George Orwell's 1984 on so many levels.

Ah I don't think there's much to be found in the established Irish (or UK ) these days.

You can be fairly certain that the major Organs will be acting as conduits for the 'Official' line,with the Editorial meetings being more concerned about how the 'Reporters' phrase and couch their reports,rather than pushing any Journalistic boundaries.

This can be very obviously seen in the reportage from places such as Cahirciveen,and the bigging-up of happy clappy stuff such as Welcoming Committee's etc,with any opponents sure to be portrayed as knuckle dragging :D RACISTS ! :D.

It's become so predictable in these issues,that many just graze these sites/stations/papers now en route to the racing pages...oh wait...!! :eek:

Even the established and long running items now are worded so ultra carefully...

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2020/0424/1134554-travellers-curragh/
    Gardaí say they have been liaising with the occupants along with other agencies, to ensure they adhere to national Covid-19 guidelines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO3U2dBwuWA

Ah Garda Malkovitch,thank you for that bit of oul liasing....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/move-direct-provision-group-out-of-kerry-says-healy-rae-995851.html

The locals don’t want the centre there and the asylum seekers don’t want to be there. The so called “welcoming committee” consisted of two people who weren’t even “local” locals...

Every single time they put these centres in towns in the middle of nowhere.

How many of these asylum seekers have had their initial claims refused and are undergoing appeals? This is what is leading the situation.

I wonder what the story was with Pa....?
    Jack Fitzpatrick, chairman of the Caherciveen Community and Business Alliance, said he and other community leaders had met with Sinn Féin TD Pa Daly to outline their request and then contacted Mr Healy-Rae and requested that more suitable premises be found.
    :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

I said it before how the asylum seeker situation in Ireland has become an industrial-level money maker for asylum-NGOs and private firms. The Examiner shines light on it this morning with details on who is getting very rich from an obviously failed asylum process:
    "Private firms have been paid over €1.3bn to provide direct provision accommodation, with several contractors earning more than €100m from the taxpayer."

With so much money to be made, it is no wonder then that we hear push back to fix the asylum system. With RTE and the Irish Times at the forefront, there will be a move to further increase our intake of asylum seekers when this pandemic has eased. There is a reason why the government is spending a lot of money leasing hotels around the country for more asylum seekers, as they expect the numbers coming into Ireland to continue indefinitely ..... without any reform to the system itself.

Apparently "65,000 vulnerable people have been assisted by the system" to date, so working/contributing men and women of Ireland, be prepared to spend billions of your hard earned taxes in the coming years to continue this obvious farce of an asylum system.

More on this morning's article here.
    Note: These figures do not include the fortunes that are being made by legal firms all around the country, as the current asylum process almost encourages numerous costly appeals.
    Obvious note: No issue with genuine asylum seekers getting reasonable aid from the Irish tax payer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I said it before how the asylum seeker situation in Ireland has become an industrial-level money maker for asylum-NGOs and private firms. The Examiner shines light on it this morning with details on who is getting very rich from an obviously failed asylum process:
    "Private firms have been paid over €1.3bn to provide direct provision accommodation, with several contractors earning more than €100m from the taxpayer."

With so much money to be made, it is no wonder then that we hear push back to fix the asylum system. With RTE and the Irish Times at the forefront, there will be a move to further increase our intake of asylum seekers when this pandemic has eased. There is a reason why the government is spending a lot of money leasing hotels around the country for more asylum seekers, as they expect the numbers coming into Ireland to continue indefinitely ..... without any reform to the system itself.

Apparently "65,000 vulnerable people have been assisted by the system" to date, so working/contributing men and women of Ireland, be prepared to spend billions of your hard earned taxes in the coming years to continue this obvious farce of an asylum system.

More on this morning's article here.
    Note: These figures do not include the fortunes that are being made by legal firms all around the country, as the current asylum process almost encourages numerous costly appeals.
    Obvious note: No issue with genuine asylum seekers getting reasonable aid from the Irish tax payer.

What is being implied is that private companies are making massive profits here. However, no evidence of that has been given, nor has it been explored. What should be of interest is the profit margin, not the gross amount paid.

If the profit margins are indeed massive, as what is implied, this raises the questions:
    1. Why do the NGO's for asylum seekers not set up centers to be run for non-profit?
    2. Since the contracts are awarded via competitive tender, why arent other companies coming in and under cutting the massive profits that current companies are making and provide a better service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I presume the accomodation companies involved generally seek to keep a fairly low profile.

The examiner questioning and printing the amounts given to the legal professionals would probably end up with a much more robust and litigious response from that particular group. :pac::pac:

More quality journalism from the examiner, I have probably earned more than a million euros since I began work as a teenager 25 years ago.......... therefore I am a millionaire.

I presume the accomodation companies involved generally seek to keep a fairly low profile.

The examiner questioning and printing the amounts given to the legal professionals would probably end up with a much more robust and litigious response from that particular group. :pac::pac:

More quality journalism from the examiner, I have probably earned more than a million euros since I began work as a teenager 25 years ago.......... therefore I am a millionaire.
    €1.3 billion is the just the baseline cost of the direct provisioning centres.

According to the Examiner:
    "The full cost of running the facilities will vary from centre to centre, depending on capacity, among other factors, and are tendered out to other operators, meaning the bill for the direct provision system is much higher than €1.3bn".

I would certainly like to know the full cost based on that revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If we processed all claims within 24 hrs, or a week max, at the airport, surely we could reduce these costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Geuze wrote: »
    If we processed all claims within 24 hrs, or a week max, at the airport, surely we could reduce these costs?

Half of the workforce is now on the dole, all spending needs to be scrutinized ,you'd think this direct provision gravy train would be ended and something like the above rigged up instead.
    Don't hold your breath tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Some migrants somehow turned up in Clonakilty recently, during the lockdown.

According to the owner of the local Supervalue they were harassing his staff. He also said no one in the town knew who they were so it seems they were likely housed there recently.

Claire Byrne was very concerned about the issue this morning, up until she heard the perpetrators were foreign when with great professionalism she shut down the conversation sharpish.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Mm7mmPlCLqDt/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,145 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

According to the owner of the local Supervalue they were harassing his staff. He also said no one in the town knew who they were so it seems they were likely housed there recently.

Claire Byrne was very concerned about the issue this morning, up until she heard the perpetrators were foreign when with great professionalism she shut down the conversation sharpish.

Dont think the Manager meant anything bad by it. But sadly you cant say those things now. You can't talk truth when everyone in the community even knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The issue continues to bubble in the background:
    Irish people are decidedly cool about taking in more refugees, with 53% against and 35% in favour.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0428/1135186-european-union/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I wonder what the story was with Pa....?

:confused:

What is really weird is how a party that were so anti foreigner have turned into one so welcoming of foreigners.
    I guess anyone that isn't British is ok by them.

What is being implied is that private companies are making massive profits here. However, no evidence of that has been given, nor has it been explored. What should be of interest is the profit margin, not the gross amount paid.

If the profit margins are indeed massive, as what is implied, this raises the questions:
    1. Why do the NGO's for asylum seekers not set up centers to be run for non-profit?
    2. Since the contracts are awarded via competitive tender, why arent other companies coming in and under cutting the massive profits that current companies are making and provide a better service?

Well if you look at the places involved you would have realised that the creation of asylum centres was a lifeline for failed businesses.
    Ballaghadereen hotel was a celtic construction creation entity that suddenly went from a failed unnecessary hotel in the ar**hole of nowhere to a guarantee long term source of income for it's owners.
    The funny thing is if you look at it's history.
    The hotel closed down in 2010 and remained derelict until 2015, when it was bought by a Cork consortium called Remcoll.
    Then in 2017 it was selected as a asylum centre.

Rooksey was another failed closed hotel that suddenly went from a struggling business to a guarantee taxpayer funded bet.
    Achill was a seasonal hotel that suddenly was going to full occupancy year round.
    Oh and it had also been recently purchased by someone before it had been selected as asylum centre.

The Connemara Gateway Hotel in Oughterard had also changed hands as well as far as I know.
    And I believe it was bought by someone connected to very large asylum centre in Dublin.

I don't know the history of the one in Moville, but what are the chances that they had changed hands before being selected as well?
    Some people use the asylum accommodation provision as a guarantee income stream and doing quite well out of it. Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

I am not allowed discuss …

And go figure ..... it takes a media outlet from outside Ireland to report this new information:
    "There have been 22 confirmed cases of Covid-19 at a direct provision centre in Kerry, a campaign group for asylum seekers has said.
    The centre was opened in the Skellig Star hotel in Cahersiveen in March, and a number of asylum seekers were moved there as part of a plan to avoid the spread of the virus."

I said it 6 weeks or so ago when they started moving asylum seekers out of Dublin into this small town on the western coast of Ireland that this was a bad idea. And I am amazed that nobody in the Justice Department who was responsible for this decision could not even suggest testing them for Covid-19 before the move.
    I checked for Irish media reporting of the disaster that this has turned out to be, but of course there was nothing about the substantial increase of confirmed cases. That does not surprise anyone on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its the most FG ever thing to do. Leo and the twitter opinions he so dearly care about are so Dublin centric that bussing a load of economic migrant men into a town , putting them up in a closed hotel is ideal, when the locals give out Leo and the Dublin twitter brigade can just go 'ahh its de country people just being racists like they always were' It silences rural Ireland with the 'backwards' stereotype and shuts down their legitimate concerns.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The issue continues to bubble in the background:

So according to the link above:
    Irish people are decidedly cool about taking in more refugees, with 53% against and 35% in favour.

I often said that I do not trust RTE polls and they've been wrong in the past, and even though they used Red C and the European Movement Ireland as the poll takers, I am very suspicious of the 35% of people in Ireland in favour of bringing in more refugees. I would like to see the poll question on this, because if RTE was involved then there would be a slant on the question to have a more favourable outcome when it comes to asylum seekers/refugees.

Does anyone here think that 35% of the population in this country want to take in more refugees ..... at the current rate of intake especially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

So according to the link above:

I often said that I do not trust RTE polls and they've been wrong in the past, and even though they used Red C and the European Movement Ireland as the poll takers, I am very suspicious of the 35% of people in Ireland in favour of bringing in more refugees. I would like to see the poll question on this, because if RTE was involved then there would be a slant on the question to have a more favourable outcome when it comes to asylum seekers/refugees.

Does anyone here think that 35% of the population in this country want to take in more refugees ..... at the current rate of intake especially?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would love to know how the question was worded. It seems to be along the lines of should the EU take in more Refugees. 53% were against, Id love to know how many think that Ireland should take more.

The EU membership question is always worded in a binary way of Remain or Leave right now. They basically know what sort of answers they'll get to enhance their own views. Even as the one of the most Anti-Eu folks on here, even I wouldn't vote on leaving the EU tomorrow. I would disband the EU tomorrow and replace it with a treaty to what we originally signed up for but I wouldn't just take my jacket and leave.

The migration issue could have been along the lines of "Should the EU Help more Refugees?". Which is vague. As opposed to "Should the EU increase the amount of refugees?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The migration issue could have been along the lines of "Should the EU Help more Refugees?". Which is vague. As opposed to "Should the EU increase the amount of refugees?"

"Is it good to help people?"

Our rigorous polling found that most people believe it is. Policy to be formulated behind closed doors on foot of this democratic consensus coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

jmayo wrote: »
    Well if you look at the places involved you would have realised that the creation of asylum centres was a lifeline for failed businesses.
    Ballaghadereen hotel was a celtic construction creation entity that suddenly went from a failed unnecessary hotel in the ar**hole of nowhere to a guarantee long term source of income for it's owners.
    The funny thing is if you look at it's history.
    The hotel closed down in 2010 and remained derelict until 2015, when it was bought by a Cork consortium called Remcoll.
    Then in 2017 it was selected as a asylum centre.

Rooksey was another failed closed hotel that suddenly went from a struggling business to a guarantee taxpayer funded bet.
    Achill was a seasonal hotel that suddenly was going to full occupancy year round.
    Oh and it had also been recently purchased by someone before it had been selected as asylum centre.

The Connemara Gateway Hotel in Oughterard had also changed hands as well as far as I know.
    And I believe it was bought by someone connected to very large asylum centre in Dublin.

I don't know the history of the one in Moville, but what are the chances that they had changed hands before being selected as well?
    Some people use the asylum accommodation provision as a guarantee income stream and doing quite well out of it. Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

Companies should be allowed to run a viable business offering services to the DP system. We shouldn't expect companies to run themselves out of business doing so. What was implied by the poster of the Examiner article was that private companies are making massive profits here. However, no evidence of that has been given, nor has it been explored in the article.
    Since the contracts are awarded via competitive tender, companies can undercut others that attempt to turn massive profits and a worse service. They are not a "guarantee taxpayer funded bet". If they can reuse failed and unused hotels from the Celtic tiger era to be more competitive to win the contracts, why not let them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What is even better is RTE Radio have ads running that want people to think about what news sources they are listening to and what they are reading.
    Basically a warning about false misleading news.
    Oh and they mention in the ad how they are backing this endeavour.

Ever wonder if they were to be brought up under their own guidelines.
    Hypocritical shower of bast***s.
    Companies should be allowed to run a viable business offering services to the DP system. We shouldn't expect companies to run themselves out of business doing so. What was implied by the poster of the Examiner article was that private companies are making massive profits here. However, no evidence of that has been given, nor has it been explored in the article.
    Since the contracts are awarded via competitive tender, companies can undercut others that attempt to turn massive profits and a worse service. They are not a "guarantee taxpayer funded bet". If they can reuse failed and unused hotels from the Celtic tiger era to be more competitive to win the contracts, why not let them?

The asylum industry, and that is what it exactly is, keeps businesses in operation that otherwise would not be there or would be doing a lot less.
    Every appeal results in yet more taxpayer money going to the legal profession.
    Every shyster appealing has to be fed and housed until the next appeal.

How the fook is there competition unless you consider it a competition between failed hotels in different isolated parts of the country.
    Once Achill was selected was there competition between all the hotels in Achill ?
    Once Rooskey was selected where was the competition ?

Funny how most of these hotels have changed hands shortly before they were selected as new DP centres ?
    Was it that previous owners would rather go out of business than dump a load of god knows what on the communities they had lived and worked in?

And yes please don't give the shyte about women and children.
    There was 50 guys, yes fooking guys, destined for a small community in Achill.
    50 guys with nothing to do, with unknown backgrounds, most likely with totally incompatible cultral and societal norms to the small community into which they were being dumped.

And only when the upidty locals complained did they suddenly find some women and funnily enough they were to be the first ones going down there.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.
    There is a lot of shtye being pulled by county councils, government depts, the HSE during this covid19 outbreak.
    All the while people are trying to survive, you have others seeing it as a chance to pull strokes getting stuff done on the quiet knowing there is no way local communities can protest.

People will not fooking forget.

I am not allowed discuss …

And go figure ..... it takes a media outlet from outside Ireland to report this new information:
    "There have been 22 confirmed cases of Covid-19 at a direct provision centre in Kerry, a campaign group for asylum seekers has said.
    The centre was opened in the Skellig Star hotel in Cahersiveen in March, and a number of asylum seekers were moved there as part of a plan to avoid the spread of the virus."

I said it 6 weeks or so ago when they started moving asylum seekers out of Dublin into this small town on the western coast of Ireland that this was a bad idea. And I am amazed that nobody in the Justice Department who was responsible for this decision could not even suggest testing them for Covid-19 before the move.
    I checked for Irish media reporting of the disaster that this has turned out to be, but of course there was nothing about the substantial increase of confirmed cases. That does not surprise anyone on here.

Ah BUT !!!!

Perhaps the seekers were all perfectly fit and healthy BEFORE they were driven from the Pale.

I would confidently predict a John & Gemma like assault on the Supreme Court any day now...perhaps form a trio...John,Gemma & Lucky ?

It will help with the Lockdown Boredom at any rate. :)

Crikey,I'd say there was some frantic waving outside Claire's booth when that lad dropped the clanger !
    If she had an Adams apple you'd have heard it rattling against her cranium ....

Classic live radio though....a well delivered strike for plain speaking ! :D

A c'mon now....these new entreprenuerial talents will not be having to worry about Trip Advisor ratings will they ?
    Viable business offering indeed.....:eek:

As I said in another post, RTE is very much Orwellian in their Groupthink of asylum seekers/refugees/economic migrants/climate change migrants. All of these people are grouped into the one class now by the Irish liberal elite in order to make sure that their virtuous net saves them all by bringing them to our small little island. To hell or to Connaught for the natives.

As soon as Claire heard that the instigators were of foreign extract, I have this mental image of the RTE Big Brother pushing the red button on his/her desk, which resulted in a klaxon and emergency warning light rotating furiously inside Claire's booth. The discussion was then assigned to the annals of "it never happened" and Claire got a reprimand for letting the conversation diverge into such dangerous territory.
    Maybe back to the shed for Claire?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Those lads sent down to Clon sound like a right boon to the local community.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Surprised RTE ran even this story, interesting enough all the same:

A new opinion poll has found that only 84% of Irish people are in favour of remaining in the European Union, (down from a high of 93% at the height of the recent Brexit negotiations).

The poll suggests that while Irish people believe membership is good for the Irish economy through EU trade agreements, voters appear more ambivalent when it comes to supporting EU enlargement and taking in refugees. The survey, carried out by Red C and the European Movement Ireland, was based on a sample of over 1,000 adults aged over 18 between 20 and 25 March.

Wait till brexitious (-100k jobs), the issue of Turkey's unwanted-undocumented 3million it want to push in the EU (Greece said it's full already), and then further expansion into the Western Balkans (x6) who have roughly 50% of German type levels of GDP (per person).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Crikey,I'd say there was some frantic waving outside Claire's booth when that lad dropped the clanger !
    If she had an Adams apple you'd have heard it rattling against her cranium ....

Classic live radio though....a well delivered strike for plain speaking ! :D

Great radio. I was listening live and you could almost feel the panic in Claire's voice when she cut off the Supermarket owner. She was all sympathetic to him at the start, praising him for being a voice for other shops owners/workers.
    But when he mentioned 'foreigners', she practically told him to shut the f up and insinuated he was making it up!

On her TV show later that night, Claire said they had received a lot of video diaries from front line health care workers outlining their day at work and stuff like that. She had time to only show one and it was from a Nigerian nurse who works in the HSE.

But as the new advertising campaign says, we need trustworthy and honest media outlets with no hidden agendas!

Advertisement