Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Black Widow

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unsurprisingly, this has been officially pushed back from its November release, to March 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

pixelburp wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, this has been officially pushed back from its November release, to March 2021.

It is actually May 2021.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is actually May 2021.

The article I read said March 7, so unless these are differing countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

pixelburp wrote: »
    The article I read said March 7, so unless these are differing countries?

May 7th, so likely typo

Fair enough. To the point it seems like 2020 is finally being given up on. There's still a few holdouts but you'd imagine they'll quickly follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Come January it could all change again if there is no sign of a vaccine.

I wonder would Disney consider giving some more of it's big name releases that they have in the can the Mulan treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I wonder if a year's break from Marvel movies might actually be a good thing, even the fans were expressing a sense of fatigue especially after the the climactic ending to the Infinity Saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I wonder if a year's break from Marvel movies might actually be a good thing, even the fans were expressing a sense of fatigue especially after the the climactic ending to the Infinity Saga.

It certainly can't hurt. I could probably be convinced to be dragged to Black Widow in 2021, but if it had released as intended, zero chance I had any interest.

Two reasons - a) Marvel fatigue as you describe but more so than that b) I hate off-shoot prequels when you know the endgame (no pun intended) and realistically, there's very little depth Black Widow is gonna add to what we've already seen in the MCU.

Like, I've basically zero interest in Black Widows backstory, she was perfectly fine in MCU, but I never found myself hungry to know more.

I did see a trailer for Wanda-Vision the other day and that looks 10X more compelling then Black Widow ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Come January it could all change again if there is no sign of a vaccine.

I wonder would Disney consider giving some more of it's big name releases that they have in the can the Mulan treatment.

I'm guessing Mulan didn't make do that well on it. Imagine if it had, Disney would have released Black Widow on it.

Soul (new Pixar film) will be interesting to see. That's still down for November after being delayed from June, and fits the Mulan treatment as it's for kids/families so the cost doesn't hit as bad. They could push that close to Christmas and make decent money over the holidays I reckon

Homelander wrote: »
    It certainly can't hurt. I could probably be convinced to be dragged to Black Widow in 2021, but if it had released as intended, zero chance I had any interest.

Two reasons - a) Marvel fatigue as you describe but more so than that b) I hate off-shoot prequels when you know the endgame (no pun intended) and realistically, there's very little depth Black Widow is gonna add to what we've already seen in the MCU.

Like, I've basically zero interest in Black Widows backstory, she was perfectly fine in MCU, but I never found myself hungry to know more.

I did see a trailer for Wanda-Vision the other day and that looks 10X more compelling then Black Widow ever could.

That's a fair reading: by 2021 I might have accumulated some degree of interest in the MCU again, as for me the franchise has been hampered by EndGame's own success and narrative structures. That film felt not just like the end of an era - but the franchise as a whole TBH. Spider-Man: Homecoming did nothing for me precisely because it had that sense of an elongated coda for something done & dusted. 20+ films and EndGame said, "we're here, thanks for coming on the journey".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I started losing interest and investment in the MCU somewhere around Iron Man 2, but I’ve some curiosity about the upcoming films simply because there are more curveball creative choices. I mean, Chloe Zhao for Eternals is an absolutely fascinating choice - and that was before she won the Golden Bear for Nomadland. I wouldn’t be quite as keen on Cate Shortland’s work so far, but again it’s a curious choice to helm one of these films.

This is a cautious interest - talented directors have been consumed by the MCU house style before. But the likes of Ryan Coogler have brought just enough of their own interesting energy to otherwise average films that I’m at least curious about whether any of these filmmakers can push things further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm generally bemused when I hear of this energy, passion, vision that Ryan Coogler supposedly brought to the MCU.

Black Panther is almost offensively generic/formulaic, the worst offender of the lot with it's crappy yawn-fest weak-CGI driven conclusion.

There are several MCU movies that stand out terrifically, like Winter Soldier and Ragnarok, the latter which most definitely has its own unique vibe distinct from the franchise.

But Black Panther.......right up there with Captain Marvel as a 'tick box' forgettable chapter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Black Panther is IMO the only Marvel film with anything interesting to say thematically - how it tackles black identity and history is pure Coogler, and the villain is on a completely different level to any other MCU bad guy. Stylistically it’s part of the Marvel wheelhouse - the likes of Gunn and Waititi have done better jobs pushing the visual and tonal limits of the franchise - but Black Panther is ultimately the one for me where the director was best matched with the story and character. I don’t want to over stress its successes - it’s not even in the upper echelons of recent blockbusters like Fury Road, MI Fallout or Spiderverse - but it offered me more to chew on than any of the other Marvel films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Mulan didn't make do that well on it. Imagine if it had, Disney would have released Black Widow on it.

Soul (new Pixar film) will be interesting to see. That's still down for November after being delayed from June, and fits the Mulan treatment as it's for kids/families so the cost doesn't hit as bad. They could push that close to Christmas and make decent money over the holidays I reckon

By the fact Disney haven't released official numbers, I presume Mulan didn't do great. I always felt that movie had the potential to do only ok at best in theatres but was doomed to failure straight to TV, especially with the crazy high price point.

I think Black Widow had a good chance to do very well with PVOD (with Disney not having to split revenue) but they had the added an issue that it is a bad look for them putting her on TV after waiting 10 years for her own movie and only the 2nd female led movie in MCU. Likely bad PR on top of the inherent risk of the new format means it makes most sense to push it.

Some talk now that it will debut on Disney+ as well as get a cinema release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DonnaNol

My God! I'm waiting for a solo movie with her since Iron man 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Seemingly this is happening!
    Along with Shang-chi
    Under premier access so you would have to pay, like with Mulan

I have been watching Agent Carter again on Disney+ and seeing the episodes with Dottie and Red Room Academy really has gotten me excited to see this now after all the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Officially confirmed this evening

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1374429041877389320

Jesus, the airbrushing on that poster. 2021 and you still have people looking like dolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Hmmm, I’m curious about the wording of that tweet. Premier Access. Additional fees required. Is the addition fee the same as what was required for Raya and Mulan or will the additional fee stick on some Marvel tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

kerplun k wrote: »
    Hmmm, I’m curious about the wording of that tweet. Premier Access. Additional fees required. Is the addition fee the same as what was required for Raya and Mulan or will the additional fee stick on some Marvel tax.

I'd presume it'll be the same as the one as Raya and Mulan, 22eur is on the pricey side for solo viewers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I don't necessarily mind physics ain't the MCUs strong point, especially when it involves the superpowered characters, but BW skydiving and leaping about like Spider-Man is annoying lol. The rest looks fine, MCU-does-Bourne. Not a fan of these prequels after a character is known to be dead in the "now" of the timeline though, just feels doubly redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How much is it on Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How much is it on Disney+

I know it's 30 dollars so probably the same in euro.

Mulan & Raya were €21 so I would imagine this will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mulan & Raya were €21 so I would imagine this will be the same.

Even better!

Anyone else seeing video game influences with this movie?
    There's the whole "The Boss" thing from MGS3 now Crysis 3 is getting it's shine :p

awog51W_460s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Surely Budapest has to be in it!

good! i was planning on watching it when the time comes

Advertisement