Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New internet standard ready to be introduced in coming months

Options
  • 23-07-2019 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

https://www.inmarsataviation.com/en/services/european-aviation-network/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-european-aviation-network.html

http://www.airliners.de/european-aviation-network-internet-board/51053
    German text.

IAG will be participating in the soft launch but Aer Lingus wasn't mentioned as one of the brands in the report.

It is a LTE/Satellite hybrid system and weighs only approx 60kg with a low drag antenna.

It looks like a real added value feature which people would be willing to pay for and is a more respectable way of earning a crust than selling scratch cards.

It is a real differentiator which gives airlines a way of extracting money from Customers. Can you entice a 5'3" woman to change airline for 31" instead of 30" pitch? Unlikely. Can you extract €5 for internet? Can you keep the teenage kids quiet by giving them internet for only €5. Definitely. Will your employer pay for a seat on a plane without internet connection or will they buy a ticket from the competitor which is equipped with this.

No moving parts in the device to break.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think you're buying into the hype a little too much. LTE connectivity will be useless/unavailable from about 5KM up depending on weather. That just leaves you with sat services on par with what you're currently seeing.

Nobody cares about WiFi on a short hop to Munich but they do trans Atlantic where ground stations dont't exist...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Inmarsat would not be letting a third party in on the game if there weren't tangible benefits which their existing infrastructure can't supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ED E wrote: »
    Nobody cares about WiFi on a short hop to Munich but they do trans Atlantic where ground stations dont't exist...

I fly within Europe all the time and reliable WiFi would allow me to use the time productively.

Of course I’m not sure how much i can actually get done in between the constant sales pitch, but that’s a different problem :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its about end to end coverage, on the ground taxing around and in the departure and arrival LTE will be excellent and that can be a large chunk of the actual on board time.

Mobile coverage is not great, its not about range (massively better antenna than a handheld) the antenna's do not point up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thread is currently based on PR from the company itself. (And a German language article) Can be revisited once we have in operation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement