Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation

Options
  • 23-07-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

First time bike buyer (well, since my schooldays!) looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a decent beginner bike that I can tear off on good straight road with but is also capable of handling bad/off-road situations and a bit of punishment in that regard as I'm out the country.

My budget is about max 700-800, and I can avail of the bike to work scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Check out your local bike bike shop and their hybrid range. It's never a bad idea to build up a friendly relationship with your local bike shop, unless it's a large Uk chain who might not care as much.

Look for aluminium frames and disk brakes as a starting point. Don't forget lights and a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Thank you!

Is there any brands in particular to look out for or avoid or are they all pretty much the same at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Thank you!

Is there any brands in particular to look out for or avoid or are they all pretty much the same at this stage?

There are loads of good brands out there, all have a wide range, your bike store will usually stock one or two. Quick list of well known, presumably reliable brands, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Fuji, Scott, La Pierre.
    Look up gravel bikes and CX bikes, either would go well on the road but are designed for a bit of rough stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Thank you!

Also, I'm not sure where you are in terms of knowledge about bike types so maybe this ( https://www.dlbcycles.ie/dlbcycles-blog/2017/8/27/quide-to-which-bicycle-type-should-i-buy) is too basic but if not it's one of many, many similar articles that can just get you familiar with a few bike types and their strengths /weaknesses before you visit a shop.
    Ig uupi figure out what type of bike you want, you can get a bit of research done about what you can get for your budget.

Advertisement