Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooter Advice

Options
  • 23-07-2019 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We downsized to one car 2 years ago, but the wife is considering getting a small 50cc scooter to help with the commute. She works about 3-4km away, but theres no shower in work to make cycling comfortable for her.

We are completely new the any form of scooter / bike - so we would welcome brands / models advice etc to help. E.g. is an Electric Scooter like this an option?: https://www.moto4u.ie/listings/lifan-white/

We considered an E-scooter, but until the law is firmed up on them figured we'd stay legit for now.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

What license does she have?
    What kind of roads?
    I would get an e-bike instead, although if you take it handy on a 4km cycle you won't need a shower at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Alkers wrote: »
    What license does she have?
    What kind of roads?
    I would get an e-bike instead, although if you take it handy on a 4km cycle you won't need a shower at the other end.

She hasnt done any bike driving, but does have a mini bus licence.
    Roads would be city based, with some reasonable hills.
    E-bike could be an option, but shes not always in the office, so from an clothes point of view figured moped / scooter would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

She'll need to do her Theory Test anyway, unless her car licence is pre.........2006 ?? - someone here will chime in.

That done, she could ride an AM class moped.

I'd avoid Chinese 50cc stuff: it won't last long tbh, and parts availability is suspect at that.

One way to combine electric (which is ideal for that distance), but also a bit of presence would be an electric Vespa: https://elettrica.vespa.com/en/index.php

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The licensing details are in the link you provided:

"Licence required category M or any other motorcycle category, If you hold full B Car licence dated on or before 20th October 2006 you are entitled to ride this scooter also."

So to gain an M license, she will need to pass the Driver Theory Test, apply for a Learner Permit and then complete the Complete Initial Basic Training motorcycle course with a RSA approved driving instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Worth noting the M license (from pre 2006) of if applied for now, will only cater for scooters capable of a max of 45km/hr. This is very slow, nearly all 50cc machines will need restricting to adhere to this and it can be dangerous in traffic

• Advertisement

her license is post 2006, so we'd be going down the line of testing etc.

Any advice on good / bad makes or models. Any reputable shops for second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Alkers wrote: »
    Worth noting the M license (from pre 2006) of if applied for now, will only cater for scooters capable of a max of 45km/hr. This is very slow, nearly all 50cc machines will need restricting to adhere to this and it can be dangerous in traffic

M or AM (moped) class licence was always <45km/h, it used to be also <49cc but that's removed. Scooters are a type of motorbike not a class of licence.

Anything that can do >45km/h needs an A1 licence or higher.
    budhabob wrote: »
    her license is post 2006, so we'd be going down the line of testing etc.

Any advice on good / bad makes or models. Any reputable shops for second hand?

For a 4km commute she'd be better with a pedal assisted bicycle. These are legal once you only get assist when pedaling and cuts the assist when you exceed 25km/h. For out of office work look at GoCar or taxis.

The cost of getting a licence for a moped is silly, if she gets a proper bike the costs are the same but the bike is safer as you can keep up with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Walk?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Walk?

Not exactly helpful or related to the question asked. Walking is all well and good in nice weather, but takes 45+ minutes. The idea of the scooter was a cheap efficient Time saver.

Not exactly helpful or related to the question asked. Walking is all well and good in nice weather, but takes 45+ minutes. The idea of the scooter was a cheap efficient Time saver.

The cheap element starts to disappear once you start factoring in IBT, gear and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I was going to say the same. 45 minutes walking flies in.

If its only a short journey and she doesnt want to go through all licensing/training - how about going down the road of an electric scooter like this ? https://www.mi.com/global/mi-electric-scooter-pro/ Can be gotten through Three https://www.three.ie/brand/xiaomi/

GBX wrote: »
    If its only a short journey and she doesnt want to go through all licensing/training - how about going down the road of an electric scooter like this ? https://www.mi.com/global/mi-electric-scooter-pro/ Can be gotten through Three https://www.three.ie/brand/xiaomi/

They're not legal for road use

D3V!L wrote: »
    They're not legal for road use

Footpath so.

GBX wrote: »
    Footpath so.

Guess again

D3V!L wrote: »
    Guess again

No need to guess anything. Plenty of people using them in cycle lanes and on footpaths as it is. Up to the OP if they want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭KevRossi

E-bike is the best answer. I have one and its a life changer.

14 km, 130m climb, most of it over final 4 km and no effort required. I can wear a shirt and jacket cycling, am overweight and not the fittest. More freedom and flexibility than a scooter or motorbike (I used to drive them)

Cheaper as well all in. A good Cube 500 hybrid is €2000 and can be got on the bike to work scheme. Or Cycle Superstore in Tallaght has 2 ladies Lapierre bikes for sale used.

Buy a good poncho for rain, handier than a rain jacket and trousers. Www.decathlon.ie have an excellent one for about €30

Good Kryptonite lock for €80 and insure against theft for €15 a month and you're good to go.

Best option IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

My commute is longer than 45 minutes. What's wrong with walking. I joke of course, I can understand why she'd rather find another means of transport but a scooter is not the answer. no one would break a sweat cycling 3=4km, I don't care how fit they are. It's 10 minutes at an easy pace. I wouldn't even bother with an e bike for that distance, waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    My commute is longer than 45 minutes. What's wrong with walking. I joke of course, I can understand why she'd rather find another means of transport but a scooter is not the answer. no one would break a sweat cycling 3=4km, I don't care how fit they are. It's 10 minutes at an easy pace. I wouldn't even bother with an e bike for that distance, waste of money.

Lolz. You must be a hoot at parties 😀.

Remind me not to tell you my commute is 7 minutes.
    On a Harley.

Or, possibly, Africa Twin.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    Lolz. You must be a hoot at parties ��.

Remind me not to tell you my commute is 7 minutes.
    On a Harley.

Or, possibly, Africa Twin.

tumblr_n2snnknCWC1toamj8o1_250.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

My commute is about 3k.
    I could cycle..I could bus..I could bring my motorbike..but I walk..takes 30 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I always maintain that a scooter is the best form of transport for getting around Dublin city. And I say that from atop a 1000cc adventure bike.

Theory test €45
    Ibt: in and around 300, price varies and it can be thrashed out over one weekend.

Learner permit €35
    Insurance and tax: about 300 total.
    Gear: another 200.
    I never usually recommend cheap gear but surely on a moped you'd get away with an open face helmet with 2nd hand jacket and gloves.

If buying 2nd hand moped then stick to the big Japanese names. And please use a disc lock as they're very easy to steal.

Zipppy wrote: »
    My commute is about 3k.
    I could cycle..I could bus..I could bring my motorbike..but I walk..takes 30 mins..

I appreciate all that, but that wasnt the question. I asked for advice re scooters.

I always maintain that a scooter is the best form of transport for getting around Dublin city. And I say that from atop a 1000cc adventure bike.

Theory test €45
    Ibt: in and around 300, price varies and it can be thrashed out over one weekend.

Learner permit €35
    Insurance and tax: about 300 total.
    Gear: another 200.
    I never usually recommend cheap gear but surely on a moped you'd get away with an open face helmet with 2nd hand jacket and gloves.

If buying 2nd hand moped then stick to the big Japanese names. And please use a disc lock as they're very easy to steal.

Thank you, this is very helpful with information i was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I appreciate all that, but that wasnt the question. I asked for advice re scooters.

Ha True..apologies :)

I have a car..I have a motorbike..I live in the city ..lots of buses / luas on my doorstep..but
    I've been considering also adding a scooter .. just because of how handy it would be for getting about the city..work/leisure/shopping.

But if you go down that route certainly go for licence, IBT, the correct gear etc as mentioned above by other posters..It might seem all like a hassle at this stage but all very worth it in the long run...

Zipppy wrote: »
    Ha True..apologies :)

I have a car..I have a motorbike..I live in the city ..lots of buses / luas on my doorstep..but
    I've been considering also adding a scooter .. just because of how handy it would be for getting about the city..work/leisure/shopping.

But if you go down that route certainly go for licence, IBT, the correct gear etc as mentioned above by other posters..It might seem all like a hassle at this stage but all very worth it in the long run...
    100% - I'm a firm believer in doing things by the book.

There are a few electric mopeds on the market now. Restricted to 45km and classed as a 50cc for insurance.

Advertisement