Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2019 - Round 11 Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gintonious wrote: »
    source.gif

That's brilliant,
    Did you think that up all on your own? :rolleyes::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Vettel's race...let's be honest here: if Max or Lewis did the same 20th to 2nd comeback, regardless of safety cars, retirements and pit stops, everyone would be screaming about "the drive of the season".

Under these circumstances when kvyatt can go third and stroll forth .. a 4 time world champion driving a ferrari should be able to drive from 20th to 2th. so no its not the drive of the season ...

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

How Seb did not get drive of the day is Nuts.
    Masterclass of a drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    That's brilliant,
    Did you think that up all on your own? :rolleyes::pac::pac:

I can't say I did.

I do love how you used the penalty for Alfa to have a go at Lewis, thats some serious conversational gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

weisses wrote: »
    H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Vettel's race...let's be honest here: if Max or Lewis did the same 20th to 2nd comeback, regardless of safety cars, retirements and pit stops, everyone would be screaming about "the drive of the season".

Under these circumstances when kvyatt can go third and stroll forth .. a 4 time world champion driving a ferrari should be able to drive from 20th to 2th. so no its not the drive of the season ...

I mean the two lads took hilarious risks and managed to make them pay off. Vettel did his thing, made conservative but wise choices always and beat them both. It's like comparing a self made Millionaire to a lottery winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Watched the race on C4 app now and great as said. App kept messing up but I kinka felt sorry for L stroll being up there until the last few laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Watched the race on C4 app now and great as said. App kept messing up but I kinka felt sorry for L stroll being up there until the last few laps.

Stroll missing the podium was like Hill in the Arrows losing the win

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

His early decision got him up there BUT meant his tyres probably started to drift off as those who switched later were fresher I guess.

Very unlucky.

Whatever about Stroll and Kvyat,
    When a 5 times champ starts on pole and ends up in 11th, who coincidentally is reckoned to be the Messaih of wet weather driving.
    Surely a 4 times champ coming from 20th to 2nd in the same race must be good for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What's this story about Lewis being ill at German gp
    Just caught the tail end on sky news.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »

He was seriously ill,
    I am sure he had a runny nose :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

mickdw wrote: »

Personally think it's been blown up but maybe I'm wrong. He had previously said:
    "I wasn't feeling good this morning, bit of a sore throat," said Hamilton when asked by Motorsport.com about his health.

Doesn't sound like much, maybe the partying of the Merc anniversary went a little too hard ;)

Anyway they had been talking about pulling him for Ocon during the practice sessions and then he went out and put in a brilliant qualifying. I know it's not the same endurance but you would have to wonder on the real impact of the sore throat, or now the illness as it's being called.

Weather made it difficult, and maybe it played on him but so many (nearly all) the drivers made mistakes, and Lewis' was where the mistakes were happening. If the weather had of been different he probably would have won, or at the least landed 2nd.

In Lewis' defence the media appear to be the ones driving it up as a big deal. I know he said he's pulling out of media appearances to recover and get ready but he hasn't used it as an excuse for the mistakes he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Also anyone see that there was an unaired message of Hamilton just telling them to retire the car with 11 laps to go, after making a mistake.

Team told him they wouldn't as there is always oppurtunities. Good thing too as he would have missed out on points if they had!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Lewis was just lucky to land a seat in the Merc at the right time.

Many many people questioned the move, from the high profile McLaren to the not amazing Mercedes at the time. It was a fairly brave move, wasn't guaranteed success, and could have potentially drastically altered his career path (for the worse). Many would call it a brave/gutsy move, but you call it lucky? Will you ever drop your anti-Hamilton bs, it's grating to have to read.

Inviere wrote: »
    Many many people questioned the move, from the high profile McLaren to the not amazing Mercedes at the time. It was a fairly brave move, wasn't guaranteed success, and could have potentially drastically altered his career path (for the worse). Many would call it a brave/gutsy move, but you call it lucky? Will you ever drop your anti-Hamilton bs, it's grating to have to read.

Of course it was a brave move,
    I agree 100% with that comment.
    But you absolutely have to admit it was a lucky move as well.
    Had he moved to another team or stayed with McLaren where would he be now?
    Had Vettel or Alonso got the Merc seat back then instead, would everyone be praising Hamilton as much as they are?

I am in no way Anti Hamilton as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Had Vettel or Alonso got the Merc seat back then instead, would everyone be praising Hamilton as much as they are?

He's lucky his decision worked out, but why focus on that aspect of it which is somewhat negative? Why not credit the chap by saying it was gutsy, there were no guarantees it would work out, he left a better team for a then worse team, he trusted Niki Lauda, he was able to deliver in the car and bring the team success, and so forth.

If Vettel or Alonso got that seat, we have no idea where Hamilton would have ended up, and how he'd be doing, therefore it's not possible to say if we'd be praising him or not. You don't have to win 5 titles in a car to elicit praise...for all we know he could have ended up at a midfield team and be absolutely wiping the floor with a respected team mate.

If I had the inclination I could multi-quote many of your recent posts, there's a definite whiff of anti-Hamilton off many of them. That's fine, nobody has to like every driver, but to continually grind an axe....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Something that was overlooked, amongst all the many pitstops, Red Bull managed to record the fastest ever stop.
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1155899497215602688?s=19

flazio wrote: »
    Something that was overlooked, amongst all the many pitstops, Red Bull managed to record the fastest ever stop.
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1155899497215602688?s=19

Is that the one the commentators completely missed as Hamiltons pit crew were running all around his car?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is that the one the commentators completely missed as Hamiltons pit crew were running all around his car?

To be fair, the pitstop graphics are always a bit unreliable. It's only after the race that the TV people review all the footage to determine the pitstop times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Hopefully a link to Reddit doesn't get me banned from the site but thought this was really interesting regarding Vettel/Ferrari on Sunday. Seems Vettel was basically the strategist as well for the day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/ciyupt/how_ferrari_vettel_makes_decisions_during_a_race/

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    If I had the inclination I could multi-quote many of your recent posts, there's a definite whiff of anti-Hamilton off many of them. That's fine, nobody has to like every driver, but to continually grind an axe....

Be my guest,
    While you are at it why don't you multi link the replies to most of my posts which happens to be you replying with an absolute disagreement to everything I post.

You know Opinions are like Ar$eholes, we all have one.
    So I have mine and you have yours.

On that note if you don't like my posts you do not have to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Whatever about Stroll and Kvyat,
    When a 5 times champ starts on pole and ends up in 11th, who coincidentally is reckoned to be the Messaih of wet weather driving.
    Surely a 4 times champ coming from 20th to 2nd in the same race must be good for something.

Yes ... It was a good drive, He stayed out of trouble and had the superior car in the end to overtake a few cars after the last safety car ... But drive of the season ?? ... neh

The fact that Hamilton messed up doesn't mean Sebs performance becomes somehow magical

I found Sebs comeback during the 2018 French GP more impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes ... It was a good drive, He stayed out of trouble and had the superior car in the end to overtake a few cars after the last safety car ... But drive of the season ?? ... neh

The fact that Hamilton messed up doesn't mean Sebs performance becomes somehow magical

When you see how easy it was for the Ferrari to breeze past Stroll at the end its hard to get too effusive with the praise. I think there is a difference between a car really pushing and battling to gain places, and a car that just has to avoid trouble and let its superior speed ease him past all the mid card runners.

I mean, you can't just say "regardless of pitstops, retirements and safety cars" as if they didn't matter, because of course they mattered, they are the reason that a strategy of staying out of trouble and easing through the pack ultimately worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Joeface

every time with this stuff . If you can get from the back to the poduim in those conditions it is an amazing drive.
    It doesnt matter how many saftey cars , or how many ppl spin of . The conditions limit what over takes you can get and Vettel got some in the worst of it , He played it safe and clean and took his changes well . Even with the extra power he the car has when the track dried enough to take advange of it was not the whole way around the track , you clearly see the drivers picking their points on the tighter sections as it was too wet.

It's not Hamilton messing up that makes Sebs driver better , its the amount of drivers around him that messed up that makes it better . Hamilton , Bottas ( no matter how you rate him ) ,Charles L , Kimi messed up , Hulk messed up . Even Max messed up and some how survived his mistakes . Perez messed up , Sainz messed up but saved his drive a bit .

I don't remember Vettel having a spin at anypoint during the race , and given his below par performances recently this is a Great drive . If any driver on the grid did that It would still be a great drive . Both KVYAT and STROLL had great drives and aided by team decision to change the tyres its all part of the Great drive ..team work helps it .

I found Sebs comeback during the 2018 French GP more impressive

Who said it was drive of the season?

christy c wrote: »
    Hopefully a link to Reddit doesn't get me banned from the site but thought this was really interesting regarding Vettel/Ferrari on Sunday. Seems Vettel was basically the strategist as well for the day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/ciyupt/how_ferrari_vettel_makes_decisions_during_a_race/

Vettel was correcting Adami like this when they were at Red Bull.

Thats the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

Thats the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

I'm sure you will get over it. :pac::pac:

I'm sure you will get over it. :pac::pac:

I enjoy a giggle, your posts on Hamilton are comedy gold.

• Advertisement

I enjoy a giggle, your posts on Hamilton are comedy gold.

That's great, I am glad you enjoy them :P

Advertisement