Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British version of Trump becomes PM

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Calhoun wrote: »
    I cannot wait :)

With the added bonus of the DUP being fvcked under the bus it’s going to be brilliant.

Can’t wait to see what all the regulars here will make of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I'm sure on D Day a lot of people in the UK and USA were thinking, wtf have we done. We've loss thousands upon thousands of lives, what a complete F C K U P!
    But history looks back on it as a necessary catastrophe that led to the tide turning in World War 2, and in the end it brought freedom.
    Where did you learn your history?
    Completely wrong.
    D Day was viewed as a success, with lower than expected casualties.
    Brexit is more like Market Garden.
    Bad information, no supply lines, men underequipped with no joined up objective. Heavier than anticipated resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I'm sure on D Day a lot of people in the UK and USA were thinking, wtf have we done. We've loss thousands upon thousands of lives, what a complete F C K U P!

No they didn’t. It was a total success. Of course they knew soldiers would die. It was a war. Casualities were about what was expected, or less.
    But history looks back on it as a necessary catastrophe

History doesn’t look on the d day landings as a catastrophe for the allies at all.

So that’s wrong in fact and a false equivalence.
    that led to the tide turning in World War 2, and in the end it brought freedom.
    A No Deal will be tough, but give it a few years and they'll look back on it with pride, and they'll praise all those who had to suffer so that they could find their freedom from the EU. What ever hardship a No Deal brings, it will be worth it in years to come.
    Boris will look like an idiot on OCT 31st if he takes them out, but history will look back on him kindly, and label him a hero for being brave enough to do it.

History will look on it as a total and real catastrophe.

I don’t even think that Boris wants a no deal btw. He’s bluffing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

blinding wrote: »
    You don’t have a legally binding backstop if the British do not sign up to it which they won't;):P

That's fine let them crash out of Europe, we cannot and should not be bullied by them when they have only their best interest at heart and have shown how much contempt they have for the Irish over the past year or two.

With the added bonus of the DUP being fvcked under the bus it’s going to be brilliant.

Can’t wait to see what all the regulars here will make of that.

Once labor gets back in the DUP are ****ed, same sex marriage and abortion are going to come in.

All the DUP have done with the brexit process are show how biggoted they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Completely wrong.
    Bad information, no supply lines, men underequipped with no joined up objective. Heavier than anticipated resistance.
    Boris is going to turn it into D-Day . He has made a great start . Churchillian .:D

That's fine let them crash out of Europe, we cannot and should not be bullied by them when they have only their best interest at heart and have shown how much contempt they have for the Irish over the past year or two.
    The Eu and Ireland have not exactly respected British democracy over the last 3 years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Eu and Ireland have not exactly respected British democracy over the last 3 years .

In what way?

I don't think this is true the UK have tried to **** us on a number of occasions. How exactly have Ireland undermined their democratic process ?

Do I blame them ? No they are looking out for their own but when they sign up to an agreement they stick to it or they leave with nothing.

However just because I understand that they are out for their own doesn't mean that we shouldn't also look to protect ourselves.

In what way?
    In cahoots with Anti-Democrats in the Uk trying to force another Referendum(s)
    until they get the answer Commanded by the Eu . This is not Democracy .

• Advertisement

Britain can leave the EU tomorrow. The EU won't stop them. Why won't Britain respect the referendum and just go?

That's not true, sure we would prefer if they went back and had another referendum so we don't have to split from the EU and the back stop doesn't become an issue.

Does it mean we are forcing them?

As someone who respects the whole sovereign nation and democracy you seem very quick to jump into the bed with the British. Do you miss direct rule that much ? Surely you must appreciate we can hold an opinion that differs from them, they have execised their sovereign and democratic opinion by ignoring us.

Britain can leave the EU tomorrow. The EU won't stop them. Why won't Britain respect the referendum and just go?
    Anti-Democrats in the Uk , Obviously .

That's not true, sure we would prefer if they went back and had another referendum so we don't have to split from the EU and the back stop doesn't become an issue.

Does it mean we are forcing them?

As someone who respects the whole sovereign nation and democracy you seem very quick to jump into the bed with the British. Do you miss direct rule that much ? Surely you must appreciate we can hold an opinion that differs from them, they have execised their sovereign and democratic opinion by ignoring us.
    Why would the British People pay any attention to the 26 Counties when making a decision like Brexit .

Most of them know nothing about it , have nothing to do with it and have no intention of changing either .

The 26 Counties are irrelevant to them .

The 6 Counties are pretty much also irrelevant to them bar they pay £11 billion for the madhouse . Leo better keep schtum because they may see getting rid of the 6 Counties as more Great News from Brexit . Wouldn’t you if you were them ?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Completely wrong.

Not talking about History, we all know it was a success after the event, I'm talking about the moment 1000's upon 1000's died. Unless they had a time machine they didn't know the importance of it on the day. But in the weeks, months and year that followed it was seen as the moment the tide turned.

''Although they had got a foothold in France by the end of D-Day, allied forces were for a while at risk of being pushed back into the sea.
    They had to keep building up their forces faster than the Germans could reinforce theirs.

Progress through the narrow lanes and staunchly defended towns of Normandy was slow.
    But now outnumbering their enemy and supported by their air superiority, they were able to overcome the considerable resistance - though at a heavy price.''

A No Deal will be tough, and some will suffer. My only point is that in the years to follow it will be looked back on as a huge success.

Why would the British People pay any attention to the 26 Counties when making a decision like Brexit .

Most of them know nothing about it , have nothing to do with it and have no intention of changing either .

The 26 Counties are irrelevant to them .

The 6 Counties are pretty much also irrelevant to them bar they pay £11 billion for the madhouse . Leo better keep schtum because they may see getting rid of the 6 Counties as more Great News from Brexit . Wouldn’t you if you were them ?:D

Well unfortunately for the British people they still occupy part of our country and returning to borders would result in a return to troubles. That is our main concern as Irish citizens, the British don't have to care about it but as long as are are part of the EU we can force them to deal with it.

Again why are you a supporter for Brexit and why don't you like the Irish position? Do you like being under the British thumb like we used to be ?

I'm fairly sure they knew on the day that the largest invasion in the history of mankind would be historically important :rolleyes:

Anyways lets get back on topic.

The no deal will be tough. Most will suffer, although no one knows to what extent. Will haulage still make it through the tunnel in the event of no deal?

I doubt they'll be stronger for it. Probably hit a recession straight away.

Well unfortunately for the British people they still occupy part of our country and returning to borders would result in a return to troubles. That is our main concern as Irish citizens, the British don't have to care about it but as long as are are part of the EU we can force them to deal with it.

Again why are you a supporter for Brexit and why don't you like the Irish position? Do you like being under the British thumb like we used to be ?
    I have no interest in exchanging the British Empire / Catholic Church Empire for the latest Empire in town .

It will end the way Empires always end . The weakest will be exploited by the Empire for the Empire and then the weakest will have to throw off the Yoke of that Empire .

Human beings throughout history have formed Empires . Why would the Eu be any different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Why because Brexit is an extension of the German Union, they couldn't conquer Europe through 2 wars so they have decided to do it now through an economic system of control.
    Germany used Ireland as a pawn for 2 world wars and now through Brexit. We are nothing more than a pawn for the Germans to use as they will.
    Bad enough to live in a country that actively gave war criminals safe passage and allowed them to reside in our country, now once again we are being used by the Germans for no beneficial gain to our Country. And as mentioned before how do you people think Brexit will not affect Ireland. Everything we currently import will increase in value, our cost of living will sky rocket. How is this good for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The UK will do better then us with Brexit

Why because Brexit is an extension of the German Union, they couldn't conquer Europe through 2 wars so they have decided to do it now through an economic system of control.
    Germany used Ireland as a pawn for 2 world wars and now through Brexit. We are nothing more than a pawn for the Germans to use as they will.
    Bad enough to live in a country that actively gave war criminals safe passage and allowed them to reside in our country, now once again we are being used by the Germans for no beneficial gain to our Country. And as mentioned before how do you people think Brexit will not affect Ireland. Everything we currently import will increase in value, our cost of living will sky rocket. How is this good for us?

Fairly sure you don’t live in Ireland.

He’ll ya again what brexit is going to do to your town.

All ears.

Anti-Democrats in the Uk , Obviously .

Do you mean people who represent the 48% who voted remain? Surely calling them "Anti-Democrats" is rather undemocratic don't you think?

Fairly sure you don’t live in Ireland.

He’ll ya again what brexit is going to do to your town.

All ears.

Where do think I live?

What will Brexit do to my town and country? It will raise the cost of living to unknown levels. It will devalue my property. It will increase my chances of unemployment. It will devalue my pension. The list is endless.

The sooner we leave the EU like the UK and become what our previous generations fought for which was Independence and a Republic.

I have no interest in exchanging the British Empire / Catholic Church Empire for the latest Empire in town .

It will end the way Empires always end . The weakest will be exploited by the Empire for the Empire and then the weakest will have to throw off the Yoke of that Empire .

Human beings throughout history have formed Empires . Why would the Eu be any different ?

Right now the big empire (Europe) is protecting us and has done more than the British have in their time.

We are small fish and no matter what we always have to partner with someone for now the Irish interest is with the EU. It is delusional not to think the Tories will look after us.

As has been said the pure ignorance and distain they have shown for us so far I would really wonder if I am talking to Irishmen or we are being invaded by posters from other countries.

Where do think I live?

What will Brexit do to my town and country? It will raise the cost of living to unknown levels. It will devalue my property. It will increase my chances of unemployment. It will devalue my pension. The list is endless.

The sooner we leave the EU like the UK and become what our previous generations fought for which was Independence and a Republic.

Think you and I both need to read your posts again.

Your life’s about to get hit hard by brexit but yet you support it.

• Advertisement

Do you mean people who represent the 48% who voted remain? Surely calling them "Anti-Democrats" is rather undemocratic don't you think?
    Do people call for every General Election to be Re-run straight away ?

Do people call for referendums to be re-run straight away .

Democratic decisions have to be Respected and Implemented or else there is No Democracy .

Keeping Voting until you get the answer Commanded by the Eu is certainly not Democracy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not liking the rhetoric of the past few days. Things are heating up and beginning to feel very vulnerable looking at emerging Anti-Irish sentiment. Something I didn't feel with May as PM.

Right now the big empire (Europe) is protecting us and has done more than the British have in their time.

We are small fish and no later what we always have to partner with someone for now the Irish interest is with the EU. It is delusional not to think the Tories will look after us.

As has been said the pure ignorance and distain they have shown for us so far I would really wonder if I am talking to Irishmen or we are being invaded by posters from other countries.
    Irish people should not be on our knees to any Empire .

We have done enough of it to know how it turns out in the end .

Think you and I both need to read your posts again.

Your life’s about to get hit hard by brexit but yet you support it.

I support Brexit because the sooner the EU collapses the better off we will all be. We will have our sovereignty back and right to govern our country as we see fit and not dictated to by unelected officials.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not liking the rhetoric of the past few days. Things are heating up and beginning to feel very vulnerable looking at emerging Anti-Irish sentiment. Something I didn't feel with May as PM.
    Anti British Democracy from Irish Politicians isn’t going to help . Where are Leo’s minders ?

• Advertisement

Do people call for every General Election to be Re-run straight away ?

Do people call for referendums to be re-run straight away .

Democratic decisions have to be Respected and Implemented or else there is No Democracy .

Keeping Voting until you get the answer Commanded by the Eu is certainly not Democracy .

But why doesn't Johnson just leave tomorrow? Isn't he being very undemocratic by continuing to stay?

But why doesn't Johnson just leave tomorrow? Isn't he being very undemocratic by continuing to stay?
    Anti-Democrat British Politicians in cahoots with similar in the Eu have been trying to subvert the Democratic Decision of the British People since those People Democratically decided to leave the Eu .

Anti-Democrats do not respect Democracy , obviously .:eek:

Anti-Democrat British Politicians in cahoots with similar in the Eu have been trying to subvert the Democratic Decision of the British People since those People Democratically decided to leave the Eu .

Anti-Democrats do not respect Democracy , obviously .:eek:

Nope. If Britain wanted to leave tomorrow, the EU would be powerless to stop them. Why hasn't Johnson or May taken Britain out of the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

There is a lot of comment from the Brexiters that having a second referendum would be countermanding the democratic wish of the people. The problem with that is the referendum was sold on a false promise - a bit like a radio show telling people that they would receive a free Rover car if they entered a competition, and when they won, sent them a dinky toy Rover car. It's also known that Cambridge Analytica, and other players, were involved in false advertising. Boris Johnson is known to have met with people of Cambridge Analytica.
    If someone gives you false directions when you're driving; sending you towards a cliff, then you have the right to change course and get on the safe road. That is why a second referendum is necessary. To allow the people with full and clear information about exactly how the Brexit will affect their country and their own lives, and to give them a second chance to avoid a huge mistake. If they still decide to go through with it then that will be the definite choice for them.

Irish people should not be on our knees to any Empire .

We have done enough of it to know how it turns out in the end .

I don't think anyone would disagree but while we live in a global world and money can influence so much it's a case of pick your poison.

The British have shown us many times through history how they have treated us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I support Brexit because the sooner the EU collapses the better off we will all be. We will have our sovereignty back and right to govern our country as we see fit and not dictated to by unelected officials.

i seriously doubt that, in fact, id be fairly confident in saying, we d all be very much worse off

96 days to go till Brexit.

Not a hope of a second referendum.
    British people were advised by remainders and leavers and most chose the leave side.

Remember Farage and his "people have had enough with experts" comment.

All the commentary and opinion here is meaningless at the end of the day.

96 days and counting.
    Love the drama.

96 days to go till Brexit.

Not a hope of a second referendum.
    British people were advised by remainders and leavers and most chose the leave side.

Remember Farage and his "people have had enough with experts" comment.

All the commentary and opinion here is meaningless at the end of the day.

96 days and counting.
    Love the drama.

That was Gove actually.

What now?

Anti British Democracy from Irish Politicians isn’t going to help . Where are Leo’s minders ?

Are you mistaking Irish politicans talking about the border and the backstop (which affects us) with “anti democracy”.

Not sure if trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good old Boris with his grand anouncements, the small matter of details and actual facts can be worried about later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Good old Boris with his grand anouncements, the small matter of details and actual facts can be worried about later!

or not at all

So every election must be re-run immediately if the Eu is not happy thats its Commands have been rubber stamped by the People .

This is not Democracy .

Its a lot nearer to what the Chinese are engineering in Hong Kong right now .

So every election must be re-run immediately if the Eu is not happy thats its Commands have been rubber stamped by the People .

This is not Democracy .

Its a lot nearer to what the Chinese are engineering in Hong Kong right now .

But the UK could have left any day during the past 1000 days. They could leave in the morning. Why aren't the Tories respecting the will of the people?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    or not at all

What is funny right now is under any other time Boris wouldn't get away with it but with labor and Corbyn it looks like he could get back in even getting away with all the bluff.

What now?
    Respect the Democratic Decision of the British People to leave the Eu .

Look at Hong Kong now as a warning when there is not Democracy .

Respect the Democratic Decision of the British People to leave the Eu .

Who is stopping that? It’s the U.K. that asked for an extension. Do you have any clue what is going on? The U.K. both rejected the last deal with the EU and rejected No Deal. In two parliamentary votes.

Up to me I’d kick them out tomorrow with no deal and pass a law saying they can never come back.

Who is stopping that? It’s the U.K. that asked for an extension. Do you have any clue what is going on. Up to me I’d kick them out tomorrow with no deal and pass a law saying they can never come back.
    Anti-Democrats in the Uk in cahoots with Anti-Democrats in the Eu .

Very worrying that so many Anti-Democrats are Eu-Philes .

Anti democrats doing what exactly? Voting in the UK’s sovereign parliament?

The referendum wasn’t for no deal, in fact the norway option was mentioned, and given the options if stay, no deal or a deal, no deal not the preferred option.

To be though, time is up. Kick them out.

• Advertisement

Very worrying that so many Anti-Democrats are Eu-Philes .

But aren't the Tories the "Anti-Democrats"? For over three years, they've been in power but haven't taken the UK out. Why won't they take the UK out? Why won't they respect democracy?

Advertisement