Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British version of Trump becomes PM

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

People didn't vote based on the truth of detailed statements. They voted based on broader ideologies based on perspective and feeling.

If he preforms badly he will have to bow to the support of extremists if he hasn't already which i suspect he has.

The UK govt has for generations used the EU to blame for their failures or as a distraction from them. They are going to continue to do that.

What is more the british people have not chosen the last two of their primeministers that is due solely to the ineptitude of both parties.

I think the REAL solution is to worry about that and have a general election its clear the Tories can't handle this not because they are not smart enough but because they can't rule competently right now because of their ideology. Sad to say it but a less competent party or person with a more flexible ideology would probably do a better job. I.E corbyn.

Great post. Agree on all points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I was staggered by his speech yesterday. Looks like he wants a no deal. He can't roll back on his statement yesterday or he'll be taken for a fool by all in parliament

Gives the government an excuse now to raise taxes in our next budget

1.The EU has categorically stated that, while they are open to discussing tweaks, the Working Agreement is the only basis for future discussions. They will not discuss a new deal.

2. Leaving aside the dozens of pro EU/soft Brexit One Nation Tory MPs who will thwart Johnson at every step, the ERG will not accept the Working Agreement no matter what changes are made to it. They only want to discuss a completely new deal or leave with no deal.

Irresistible force and immovable object with Johnson caught in the middle. Forget the next budget, general election it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

1.The EU has categorically stated that, while they are open to discussing tweaks, the Working Agreement is the only basis for future discussions. They will not discuss a new deal.

2. Leaving aside the dozens of pro EU/soft Brexit One Nation Tory MPs who will thwart Johnson at every step, the ERG will not accept the Working Agreement no matter what changes are made to it. They only want to discuss a completely new deal or leave with no deal.

Irresistible force and immovable object with Johnson caught in the middle. Forget the next budget, general election it is.

Next stop - Prorogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

and what happens if borris wins...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I was reading a piece in the Indo this morning on what each of his cabinets position wre on the Irish border and not one of them gives too hoots with the exception maybe of Javid.

Sure the new Norn Iron secretary is a DUP supporter!

Can't make this **** up, except you can
    Why would a Country the size of the Uk be concerned about the Irish Border . Its very very very small beer in British terms . It is of no importance to them .

Anyway it seems its the Eu that is going to force a hard border in Ireland . I am sure the British will be able to give them a lot of advice on putting a border in Ireland . Leo Photo Shoots should be a big help .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

blinding wrote: »
    Politicians and others that do not accept the Democratic decision of the People in the 2016 Referendum and following General election .

Fair dues to Boris Johnson , He is Bringing back the Uk to be being a Democracy Again .

Next he'll be getting rid of the house of lords and the monarchy.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

And he will! Because he'll swoop up the brexit party votes.

Lid dem coalition with some of the smaller parties would be best suited to challenge.

Labour with Corbyn have zero chance and will suffer because of their stance on Brexit. IE They haven't nailed down their position

Bye bye Eu from Britain . Thats Democracy Folks .:D

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Next he'll be getting rid of the house of lords and the monarchy.
    He has made a great start , so you never know .

Next stop - Prorogue

That won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Boris will have learned that Cameron and May surrendered to the Eu and were out of the job .

Advice to the New British Prime Minister = Do not surrender to the Eu . Surrendering to the Eu will cost you your Job .

Pretty much. Worse for the country though.

A tory PM can't do this. Not with their party.

That won't happen.

Can't count anything out with this loon

Same sh1t, different day.

And he will! Because he'll swoop up the brexit party votes.

Lid dem coalition with some of the smaller parties would be best suited to challenge.

Labour with Corbyn have zero chance and will suffer because of their stance on Brexit. IE They haven't nailed down their position
    And Nigel Farage may find himself schmooz-ing with Trump to conveniently remove him from the Picture to give Boris a free run :D

And Nigel Farage may find himself schmooz-ing with Trump to conveniently remove him from the Picture to give Boris a free run :D

Exactly.

Tommy Robinson to run for Mayor of London also

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Saw a good thread on twitter where someone predicted BoJo' strategy over the next while, bearing in mind by all reports he is only interested in himself and power:

1. Will promise to take UK out by the deadline no matter what.
    2. Knows parliment will never allow no deal but will be able to say to the people, look at them blocking me and you.
    3. Will then be able to scapegoat the EU and the UKs own parliment as against the people.
    4. Will call general election after that and claim that hes the man of the people and nobody else can be trusted.
    5. Push for majority and a mandate for next few years and to heck with what happens after that, he will be in power.

Saw a good thread on twitter where someone predicted BoJo' strategy over the next while, bearing in mind by all reports he is only interested in himself and power:

2. Knows parliment will never allow no deal but will be able to say to the people, look at them blocking me and you.
    3. Will then be able to scapegoat the EU and the UKs own parliment as against the people.
    4. Will call general election after that and claim that hes the man of the people and nobody else can be trusted.
    5. Push for majority and a mandate for next few years and to heck with what happens after that, he will be in power.

Almost certainly what’s going to happen.

Pretty much. Worse for the country though.

A tory PM can't do this. Not with their party.
    A workable majority after a General Election and Boris will be able to take his Country to Freedom and out of the Eu .

It would be Churchill-ian . Democracy and Freedom . Lovely Jubbly .

Can't count anything out with this loon

I don't think he'll try it as it would literally destabilise the UK. Besides which, it would be constitutionally and politically very difficult.

• Advertisement

Sounds all very familiar to our friend across the "pond"

Exactly.

Tommy had a very poor electoral show lately .

The British public don’t want Tommy .

Tommy had a very poor electoral show lately .

The British public don’t want Tommy .

For sure :)

It's great entertainment all the same.

Poor old Beth Rigby must be putting in 20 hour shifts in at this stage over on sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Still waiting for the EU to throw Ireland under the bus (not gonna happen)

That is no going to happen until Brexit happens. Ireland is a pain in the side of the UK and the EU is not going to burn that bridge.
    I was staggered by his speech yesterday. Looks like he wants a no deal. He can't roll back on his statement yesterday or he'll be taken for a fool by all in parliament

Gives the government an excuse now to raise taxes in our next budget

How could you be staggered by his speech? Look at his cabinet. It's a no deal cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Exactly.

And Enoch Powell could make the sandwiches!

Berserker wrote: »
    That is no going to happen until Brexit happens. Ireland is a pain in the side of the UK and the EU is not going to burn that bridge.

How could you be staggered by his speech? Look at his cabinet. It's a no deal cabinet.

He has basically backed himself in to a corner with no wriggle room. I genuinely thought it was all bravado pre taking over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

The best thing about the next 97 days is sitting here watching all the comments from the over educated and unwashed crowd.

He has basically backed himself in to a corner with no wriggle room. I genuinely thought it was all bravado pre taking over
    It definitely bye bye Eu .

Sure he might even give Leo the Six Counties to give Leo something to do bar Photo Shoots !:eek:

The best thing about the next 97 days is sitting here watching all the comments from the over educated and unwashed crowd.

Nice!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And Enoch Powell could make the sandwiches!
    Enoch actually under estimated hugely the size of immigration that would happen .

Enoch got it way wrong .

It definitely bye bye Eu .

Sure he might even give Leo the Six Counties to give Leo something to do bar Photo Shoots !:eek:

Please god know. We'd be bust within 6 months, trying to sell them off on EBAY

We can't run our own Health service, imagine taking on a NHS style system

• Advertisement

The best thing about the next 97 days is sitting here watching all the comments from the over educated overeducated and unwashed crowd.

Allow me to fix your post.

Don't worry, Trump's buddies will run it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Allow me to fix your post.

Your a star youd think I shuld try to be more subtle next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is a few problems with that "strategy".

Bojo isn't just some whimsical simpleton cycling around London being casually racist anymore. He is the PM, what he says will get listened to.

If he heads into a general election castigating and demonizing large swathes of his own party then that suggests only one thing to the electorate.

Wouldn't surprise me of course if he did follow that strategy.

The quite potentially hilarious part of it all is, he isn't guaranteed his own seat.
    The new Tory leader has the smallest constituency majority of any prime minister since 1924

I'd vomit laughing if he lost his seat. :pac:

Leo would turn up at the owning of a bag of chips for the photo op

One photo op you won’t see him taking is the first border checks when they go up.

Perhaps Leo should suggest from his prone position to the Eu that a sensible deal acceptable to Boris would be a good idea .:eek:

Other wise his Photo Shoots may become a lot rarer :eek:

Leo would turn up at the owning of a bag of chips for the photo op

One photo op you won’t see him taking is the first border checks when they go up.

Gerry and Mary Lou licking their lips everytime Bojo opens his mouth

Perhaps Leo should suggest from his prone position to the Eu that a sensible deal acceptable to Boris would be a good idea .:eek:

Other wise his Photo Shoots may become a lot rarer :eek:

Maybe this is a master stroke after all by blonde chops :D

Unless Trump has promised Boris a bumper trade deal and he doesn't give two hoots about leaving without a deal

Was that why they surrendered to the British ?

I know they never will but I’d love Mary Lou in Parliament.
    The swordplay in HoC between her and Boris would be spectacular.
    She’s more than able to handle him and his nonsense

• Advertisement

There was a gift grub on Tuesday or Wednesday with Boris, Leo and Pashcal

https://www.todayfm.com/podcasts/the-ian-dempsey-breakfast-show/gift-grub-paschal-tears-boris-new-one-ballymunstyle

Enjoy :D

The EU won't do that. Brexit needs to be a complete disaster from their perspective. If it isn't, euroscepticism will rocket and other countries will start thinking about exiting the union. It will be the beginning on the end of the EU.

Always felt that he firmly believed in a no deal exit to be fair. It's a very bold approach but I'm in no doubt that he's going to follow through on that. I think he'll do a deal with Farage and go for a GE.

Why do you say that? SF are not on the field of play here. MON hasn't been seen or heard of in ages.

The EU won't do that. Brexit needs to be a complete disaster from their perspective. If it isn't, euroscepticism will rocket and other countries will start thinking about exiting the union. It will be the beginning on the end of the EU.

Always felt that he firmly believed in a no deal exit to be fair. It's a very bold approach but I'm in no doubt that he's going to follow through on that. I think he'll do a deal with Farage and go for a GE.

Why do you say that? SF are not on the field of play here. MON hasn't been seen or heard of in ages.

If a border goes up they'll play the sympathy card again and they'll increase their vote share down south

Mary-Lou wouldn't be in parliament unless the RoI rejoins the union. MON would be the leader but I think she's off travelling the world. Mary-Lou's instant outrage wouldn't get much attention in London anway. The people in the RoI don't buy it anymore.

Mary-Lou wouldn't be in parliament unless the RoI rejoins the union. MON would be the leader but I think she's off travelling the world. Mary-Lou's instant outrage wouldn't get much attention in London anway. The people in the RoI don't buy it anymore.

No, she'll look to use a hard border here to up their popularity in Ireland not the UK.

If a border goes up they'll play the sympathy card again and they'll increase their vote share down south

I think, it'll drag up their murky past and they'll drop further in the polls. Can't see Gerry coming back into the fold either.
    No, she'll look to use a hard border here to up their popularity in Ireland not the UK.

What if it's an EU hard border? Boris is adamant that the UK won't implement one.

I think, it'll drag up their murky past and they'll drop further in the polls. Can't see Gerry coming back into the fold either.

What if it's an EU hard border? Boris is adamant that the UK won't implement one.

Actually, yeah that's a fair point unless the Shinners blame it on Britain anyway

FF/FG have already changed their language on a UI to take it back off SF.
    Leo recently saying ‘it remains a personal aspiration as it also remains a constitutional aspiration’.

They’ll always try sideline SF but this move by both parties is a big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The EU won't do that. Brexit needs to be a complete disaster from their perspective.

Brexit it is a complete disaster and it hasn't even happened yet.

The only reason the economic effects of it hasn't happened is because we are in the middle (late middle) of a global up turn. All though is seems to be leveling off in the UK.

If Brexit does happen and coincides with a global down turn, then EU won't have to warn off any populist muppets from threatening to pull the trigger.

• Advertisement

FF/FG have already changed their language on a UI to take it back off SF. Leo recently saying ‘it remains a personal aspiration as it also remains a constitutional aspiration’.

They’ll always try sideline SF but this move by both parties is a big one.

It's not. It's a tasty little sound bite. FF and FG do not need to sideline SF, as of now. SF are doing that all by themselves.

Advertisement