Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulky items recycle/disposal

Options
  • 23-07-2019 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any information about disposing of large items, mattresses, sofa, etc in the Clonmel area?

I have studied the My Waste website and it does everything except tell you how to actually get rid of stuff. Stuff can be 'received for recycling by arrangement'. Arrangement with whom? Which (if any) site accepts large items?

Mainly I am trying to find out what it will cost me, but there is a lot of vague stuff about selling and giving away and recycling. I am quite sure no-one will want to be given any of the stuff I have (clearing an old house), it might be recyclable, but where do you actually go to to find out?

Has anyone any experience of doing this recently? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭All in all

looksee wrote: »
    Has anyone any information about disposing of large items, mattresses, sofa, etc in the Clonmel area?

I have studied the My Waste website and it does everything except tell you how to actually get rid of stuff. Stuff can be 'received for recycling by arrangement'. Arrangement with whom? Which (if any) site accepts large items?

Mainly I am trying to find out what it will cost me, but there is a lot of vague stuff about selling and giving away and recycling. I am quite sure no-one will want to be given any of the stuff I have (clearing an old house), it might be recyclable, but where do you actually go to to find out?

Has anyone any experience of doing this recently? Many thanks.

If you can transport them yourself you can bring waste to Clonmel Waste on the Cashel Rd or the local authority site in Carrigeen.

If you can't transport one reputable company is http://wasteclear.ie who have links with Clonmel Waste. He was able to give me a quote over the phone for the waste. There are multiple adverts on facebook, etc but not all will have required permits to collect waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks for that, that was very helpful. :)

Might be helpful to others - if you can deliver them in:

Clonmel Waste will charge €40 for a double mattress and €50 for a suite of furniture (settee and 2 chairs).

Carrigeen municipal waste site will charge €12 for a sofa (left intact), and €8 for a mattress - provided the fabric is stripped off the spring. Well worth going to the bit of bother of stripping it compared with the other prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

People shouldn't have to drive 100km or more to get to somewhere they can dispose of a mattress.

Well possibly they don't, I am talking about Clonmel, though granted I didn't make that clear. There are other municipal sites that would do the same, check your nearest large town.

• Advertisement

My nearest site is Nenagh. I am pretty sure they won't take a mattress.

They appear to have exactly the same list as Clonmel - check 'bulky items' - you would have to ring to confirm but I would imagine all the sites within the Tipperary Council area would have the same prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There’s a crowd called “kollect junk removal” (at least I think that’s what they’re called), that also cover the area. It popped up on my Facebook recently, might be worth a call to compare prices.

I did. They do not accept stuff brought in, you have to use their man with a van service, which worked out very expensive I thought. Three mattresses and a sofa were going to be a quarter load, €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I did. They do not accept stuff brought in, you have to use their man with a van service, which worked out very expensive I thought. Three mattresses and a sofa were going to be a quarter load, €300.

That is quite pricey, if you have an alternative!

• Advertisement

They appear to have exactly the same list as Clonmel - check 'bulky items' - you would have to ring to confirm but I would imagine all the sites within the Tipperary Council area would have the same prices.

They don't accept bulky items.
    Not accepted at Civic Amenity Sites
    Tyres
    Expanded polystyrene
    Bulky items
    Petrol/Diesel
    Oil tanks/drums

Neither do Roscrea or Donohill. It would appear only Cashel and Clonmel do, which with typical Irish logic are relatively a stones throw apart.

Cashel is a little bit nearer - yay - only a 128 km round trip.

Oh yes, sorry, misread it. Seems a bit unreasonable, maybe time to talk to your local councillors.

Advertisement