Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting a gable wall to large full window

• 23-07-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to convert a gable wall with existing sliding door and windows to a full height and width glass 'wall' or window. In total the window would be approx. 5m tall and 6m wide. It's a double height room inside too.

The window would be side facing, with no overlooking considerations. The nearest neighbour's house in that direction is about 200m away and about 20-30m higher up and there are thick mature trees and shrubbery between us. There are closer neighbours to the front but this window doesn't overlook them.

We've had a reputable builder out to assess it and he reckons all is doable but I'm just wondering if:

1. I need a structural engineer or architect to review and ensure that the roof and walls can take the removal of the blocks around them? The builder said he has no concerns about this as there is a steel beam running horizontally across the wall already which we would retain.

2. I need to get planning permission to change a wall that already has existing windows and a sliding door to basically a glass wall instead?

The existing structure with measurements is available here which might help to better understand what we've got at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1 yes both required. Structure and overheating/heat loss concerns
    2 One of the above will advise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are the 22 by 11 purlins visible inside?
    How will they be supported.
    The steel beam is there to tie the roof in, however it my not be enough without some support so you may not get the fully open glazed look you imagine.
    You will also have to consider wind load and how that will be transmitted back into the house.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks for the replies. Will get an architect and engineer sorted so.

The purlins are visible yes. We don't intend on glazing the entire wall, it'll be more like from the top of the existing triangular window to about 1m (possibly a bit less) from the wall. We want to try to minimize the amount of structural impact of this change so we shouldn't have to do anything with the purlins (hopefully!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The gable wall braces the side walls. If you remove the gable you are compromising the integrity of the building.

That steel beam, yeah it might look like it will brace the walls against eachother but is it actually sufficiently sized and tied in to actually do the job? This really needs to have a structural engineer's assessment. I wouldn't mind what a builder tells you. In my experience builders tend to come up with some downright dangerous "designs" from time to time.

Advertisement