Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All sockets in one room blown

Options
  • 23-07-2019 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

So my wife had a bit of an accident yesterday and cut through the electrical cable on a hedge trimmer. She had it plugged into a socket beside an isolator switch in the utility room. Isolator switch is for the washing machine & dryer. Light on the isolator is not on, other sockets far side of the room seem dead as well.

I haven't looked at it yet as in work and she only discovered they're not working today so I'll take a look this evening. First thing I thought of was the fuse was tripped but she said mains board looks fine, no switches down. So far just the sockets in the same room as the socket she used seem affected, kitchen sockets in the next room are fine.

Any ideas what the problem could be with the sockets? Not in any way qualified to do electrical work but before I get someone out just want to have an idea what the problem could be and if there is something simple that could be causing it. Very surprised and a bit worried that a surge could blow that many sockets, think there's 3 doubles and the isolator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

DamoKen wrote: »
    So my wife had a bit of an accident yesterday and cut through the electrical cable on a hedge trimmer. She had it plugged into a socket beside an isolator switch in the utility room. Isolator switch is for the washing machine & dryer. Light on the isolator is not on, other sockets far side of the room seem dead as well.

I haven't looked at it yet as in work and she only discovered they're not working today so I'll take a look this evening. First thing I thought of was the fuse was tripped but she said mains board looks fine, no switches down. So far just the sockets in the same room as the socket she used seem affected, kitchen sockets in the next room are fine.

Any ideas what the problem could be with the sockets? Not in any way qualified to do electrical work but before I get someone out just want to have an idea what the problem could be and if there is something simple that could be causing it. Very surprised and a bit worried that a surge could blow that many sockets, think there's 3 doubles and the isolator.

It didnt "blow" the sockets them selves it blew some device that is wired in series with them.

Is there a fuse compartment on the "isolator"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    It didnt "blow" the sockets them selves it blew some device that is wired in series with them.

Hi JM, sorry not my area so my terminology isn't the best. I was wondering if there might be a fuse in the isolator. I'll take a look when I get home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

jmBuildExt wrote: »

A blown fuse in a fused spur shouldn’t disrupt the whole circuit though?

Got her to take a pic. Socket to the left of the switch is where she had it plugged in.

https://ibb.co/XFXYj9Q

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

My guess would be that one of the MCB's for the sockets is tripped but doesn't look like it has. Try pulling all of the circuit breakers marked "Sockets", or "Utility Room", then pushing them all up firmly until they stay in place.

Ken

• Advertisement

Kencollins wrote: »
    My guess would be that one of the MCB's for the sockets is tripped but doesn't look like it has. Try pulling all of the circuit breakers marked "Sockets", or "Utility Room", then pushing them all up firmly until they stay in place.

Ken

First thing I'm going do when I get home is double check the breakers. I'm a good bit taller so better view :)

Worth a shot resetting them all, it'll have to be all as the guys who did the wiring a few years back forgot to mark what was what!

So quick update. Checked all the breakers last night, reset and still no power.

As it doesn't look like a simple fix for now I'll leave it and just go with a cable reel running from the kitchen when we want to use the washing machine. Not elegant but will do until we get the room redone.

We've building work going on at the moment and the utility room is next on the list once the current rooms are finished. With any luck that will be gutted by the end of August with new insulating boards, ceiling etc. The electrician had already said even though the wiring was upgraded a few years ago he'll be running new cables for the additional lights and sockets being moved to accommodate the new layout and removal of old stud walls, can get it properly fixed then.

Thanks for the replies

Advertisement