Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Gaeltacht proposed for Nun’s Island

Options
13»

Comments

xckjoo wrote: »
    Still not sure if we're on the same page with what we're talking about. AFAIK NUIG have access to all the buildings they own on Nuns Island. The Bish would be a handy add-on but they're be doing stuff with our without it. I've outlined what I know they currently own in the image below. Mods if this isn't allowed for some reason just let me know
    https://imgur.com/myd1HPw (embedding image not working for some reason)
    The building by the car park is privately owned. Island House, Gaol Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

"
    Plans had been put on hold while the route of the N6 Galway City Ring Road (commonly referred to as the ‘outer bypass’) was still under consideration.

But now that plans for that project have been finalised, the way has been cleared to progress with the school’s move.
    "
    I guess this is the reason NUIG are proceeding with the Nuns Island Masterplan?

It would be interesting to see an overlay of the proposed Ring road route + the Bish I would say the road as planned would be within 50 yards of the school, on what is a very tight site as is , will do well to get planning.

The building by the car park is privately owned. Island House, Gaol Road.

Yes, its owned by 2 sisters apparently and FAS/the library rent it at a peppercorn rent

Still not sure if we're on the same page with what we're talking about. AFAIK NUIG have access to all the buildings they own on Nuns Island. The Bish would be a handy add-on but they're be doing stuff with our without it. I've outlined what I know they currently own in the image below. Mods if this isn't allowed for some reason just let me know
    https://imgur.com/NJetaXR (embedding image not working for some reason)
    (fixed outline in image)

They only have access to the distillery if they knock the building beside altenach house which looks very old and I doubt they have permission to knock it (https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2734587,-9.0571042,3a,75y,117.1h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syzwHXvPs6O5YpuDIxgUZiA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DyzwHXvPs6O5YpuDIxgUZiA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D130.54874%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656) or they would have a very narrow road if they knocked their other building (https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2735279,-9.0571316,3a,75y,58.17h,104.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sELT9FW7kJU7ygl4bR6pcig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656)

So if they don't get the Bish, they either don't have access to the distillery which is a huge part of their property or they have to sacrifice 1-2 large buildings in order to get access

Also they only own part of the building you've marked at the entrance to the poor clares as there is a gatehouse there owned by the poor clares

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

They only have access to the distillery if they knock the building beside altenach house which looks very old and I doubt they have permission to or they would have a very narrow road if they knocked their other building (https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2734587,-9.0571042,3a,75y,117.1h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syzwHXvPs6O5YpuDIxgUZiA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DyzwHXvPs6O5YpuDIxgUZiA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D130.54874%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656)

Also they only own part of the building you've marked at the entrance to the poor clares as there is a gatehouse there owned by the poor clares

So if they don't get the Bish, they either don't have access to the distillery which is a huge part of their property or they have to sacrifice 1-2 large buildings in order to get access
    That link isn't working for me but I'm not sure how the Bish land would facilitate access to the distillery land unless they knock through this building (name escapes me right now) and make a bridge. There's a road, houses and a canal between the distillery and main Bish campus. There's access to the distillery behind the Hygiea building. It's not spacious but there is access. Have a feeling all those buildings are protected now but could be wrong. The Poor Clares gatehouse is separate from the NUIG ones beside it and behind/part of the convent walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

That link isn't working for me but I'm not sure how the Bish land would facilitate access to the distillery land unless they knock through this building (name escapes me right now) and make a bridge. There's a road, houses and a canal between the distillery and main Bish campus. There's access to the distillery behind the Hygiea building. It's not spacious but there is access. Have a feeling all those buildings are protected now but could be wrong. The Poor Clares gatehouse is separate from the NUIG ones beside it and behind/part of the convent walls.

I believe that building is a former Christian Brothers Monastery and is currently used for classrooms/storage by the Bish school.

I believe that building is a former Christian Brothers Monastery and is currently used for classrooms/storage by the Bish schoo.
    Ya I assume they own it. No idea if it would be included as part of the sale but it's the only land I can think of that they might own that could give access to the distillery building. If they build a bridge that is :pac:

Theres a small amount of access but it would make building work of the scale they would need incredibly difficult, its barely big enough for a small car let alone heavy machinery and if they want to turn it into a usable building, as the distillery is protected they would need permission for any work to be done to it and I imagine the residents in Altenach house etc would have valid objections to that narrow entrance being used as a entrance for building works and/or once its redone

The small car park to the right of that building you've pictured is the important one, all the proposals turn that into a road have a bridge from there to the distillery

I'm not saying the regeneration can't be done without the Bish, its just a very different amount of property and amount that can be done without their lands and IMHO it seems silly to spend so much money on speculative proposals.

You have the gatehouse circled in the photo as part of NUIG lands which is why I pointed it out, its not a big building, I was just pointing it out for clarity

You guys are fierce critical of my MS Paint skills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

topcat77 wrote: »
    Do Gaeltacht areas work?

I know several people who live in a Gaeltacht,they passed the relative process in the area to allow them to buy, but they have no interest in the language and never use it.

The Shaws Road Gaeltacht in Belfast has been pretty successful and has helped spur a wider revival of the language in broader west Belfast. I overheard a lot of Irish while visiting a friend there in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

The Shaws Road Gaeltacht in Belfast has been pretty successful and has helped spur a wider revival of the language in broader west Belfast. I overheard a lot of Irish while visiting a friend there in May.

Yeah, the Irish language in Belfast went from a small social club, to a small few Irish speaking families deciding to build their own housing, to a school to now having a Gaeltacht Quarter with three Gaelscoils, a large secondary school, a cultural centre and a radio station for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Because they have a passion for Irish culture, because they enjoy the challenge of learning a language, because they want to converse with Irish-speaking friends or partners in their own language? There are a myriad of reasons one can have for learning a language. I know quite a few people from Poland, the Basque Country, etc, who have very strong Irish.

Oh I know all that. It just seems like such a waste to me. There are so many beautiful languages that would be of much more use. They can do what they want but I’m free to think of it as pointless. And that Irish-speaking partner they might have will also speak English. I wouldn’t put my partner through learning a niche tongue when I also speak an incredibly useful, just-as-interesting language to fluency. But hey, that’s just me. The Philippines has over 100 different languages. I’d raise an eyebrow just as much at an Irish person resolving to learn of those niche languages fluently. A girl I went to college spent her early life in Tanzania and spoke Swahili fluently but lost it when her family moved back to Ireland. Because of course she did. At least she hadn’t gone to any trouble to learn it. So many of those people who learn Irish to fluency would have the same thing happen if they left Ireland and they didn’t even need it in Ireland though fluency would be easy to retain here.

And I’m partial but I don’t think of Irish as being up there with the most beautiful languages. It’s just not particularly pretty or intuitive to me. When people insist it’s because of how it was taught to me, I’m like “Nope, I’m a big girl, long out of school and I’m well able to figure out that it’s the language I don’t like”. When I’ve told people of my dislike like learning Irish, quite often over the years I’ve had responses from people along the lines of “You can’t dislike it, that’s disliking your culture!”. Such sanctimonious guff. If someone can dislike Maths or History or Geography or French or whatever, somebody can dislike Irish. I’m not going to say “Oh, I like it now!” because people point out that I live in Ireland. Nope, lads, I’ll stick to my sciences, maths, French and art, thanks. In my secondary school in each year, there was one honours class, a mixed honours/pass class and two to three pass classes. So many people just didn’t care about the subject. The teaching wasn’t that bad and is overstated, IMO. Focusing on that allows people to ignore other reasons why it’s not more widely spoken. I know a good few people who went to gaelscoileanna for their entire primary and secondary schooling and I’m often amazed at how poor their Irish is a decade or more out. And these are people who say they like Irish. What hope does Johnny Foreigner have of retaining fluency outside the small Gaeltacht pockets if they can’t? And colour me dubious on the idea that “many” non-Irish people speak Irish. I’d love to see the statistics on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

<SNIP, drop it>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Imreoir2 carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any chance/proposal of a new bridge across the Corrib from this former distillery building?

Advertisement