Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due March 2020

Options
  • 23-07-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Been patiently lurking in the forum for a week or two but I'll bite the bullet and start this thread, hopefully there's some others in the same boat!

I'm 7w + 2 according to our early scan last week, due 8th March. It's my first pregnancy so still getting our heads around everything, trying not to get too excited til we at least get to the 12 week mark!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I've been refreshing this page constantly for the past few weeks, but didn't feel entitled to start a thread because I'm not pregnant.

My wife is :) 7+3.

This is our first, and I've found so much useful information reading this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Congrats! I’m 5+5 with our second. Only found out on Friday so still getting my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

Me too, 6 weeks today. Waiting til the 8 week mark to go to the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Congratulations all!

Definitely feeling the tiredness these days, it's such a struggle to drag myself out of bed to work. I'm in awe of anyone who can do this with a child already!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kniaodha

Been patiently lurking in the forum for a week or two but I'll bite the bullet and start this thread, hopefully there's some others in the same boat!

I'm 7w + 2 according to our early scan last week, due 8th March. It's my first pregnancy so still getting our heads around everything, trying not to get too excited til we at least get to the 12 week mark!

Thanks for starting this Innervision! I am 7 weeks today with my first pregnancy and possibly still in a bit of denial that it is actually happening :)

Thought I would be happy enough waiting till 12 weeks for the first scan but am now debating getting an early scan. Would appreciate anyone else's thoughts or experience of this.

• Advertisement

kniaodha wrote: »
    Thanks for starting this Innervision! I am 7 weeks today with my first pregnancy and possibly still in a bit of denial that it is actually happening :)

Thought I would be happy enough waiting till 12 weeks for the first scan but am now debating getting an early scan. Would appreciate anyone else's thoughts or experience of this.

I was keen to get an early scan because my cycles have been irregular so wanted to get a more accurate date. It really put my mind at ease I have to say, 12 weeks just seems so far away at this stage! It was very reassuring to see a heartbeat and made things feel a bit more real.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

Congrats everyone! I'm 6 weeks today, though due to irregular cycles I could be a little behind.

Due to a previous condition I have to go on heparin and be scanned quite regularly. So I have my first scan tomorrow afternoon. Me and hubby are excited but cautious/worried still as I miscarried after 8 weeks before (apologies if I bring down the mood). It never had a heartbeat, so I'll feel a bit more peace of mind when/if we hear a heartbeat this time around.

My main symptom has been extreme tiredness. I'm just tired all morning and late afternoon, I can't do anything. I seem to be more tired this time round than I was last time so hubby is convinced it's twins! :rolleyes:
    kniaodha wrote: »

If I didn't have to get regular scans, I don't think I could wait the 12 weeks. It makes it so much more real when you see the scan. I think a scan around 7-8 weeks to check for a heartbeat for a bit of reassurance would be ideal. That's just me though, others might prefer not to know anything.

I would recommend an early scan. It’s a long wait to get to 12 weeks. I’ll be booking one for 9 or 10 weeks.

We're actually going to go back for another early scan at 10 weeks since our first one was so early at 6. I think the price is worth the piece of mind, time is going so slowly to 12 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Hi all
    I’ve been in the Feb thread but after having my early scan it looks like I’m having a March baby so I’m joining here too!

I’m 9+3 today and I had my early scan last Thursday in Swords.
    It was such a lovely experience and worth every cent.
    This is my first baby so I really didn’t know what to expect. I was sure I’d just see a blob on the screen but no, I could actually see the head, arms and legs plus a tiny little heart flickering away which was unreal, especially when she turned on the sound and I could hear it..a few tears were shed.

Prior to that I’d been saying a silent prayer every time I went to the toilet and also nearly passing out with fear every time I got a little cramp.
    But since the scan I’ve been so much more relaxed so I’m very glad I went.

I have my booking appointment 2 weeks today and can’t wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Ssshhh1234

So happy to find this thread!! I'm 7 weeks tomorrow only found out this week. 12 year age gap!!! We are still getting our head around it but have booked an early scan for tomorrow to reassure everything is ok. We have a trip booked for 3 weeks time which includes a long haul flight which im a little nervous about, thoughts please?

Ssshhh1234 wrote: »
    So happy to find this thread!! I'm 7 weeks tomorrow only found out this week. 12 year age gap!!! We are still getting our head around it but have booked an early scan for tomorrow to reassure everything is ok. We have a trip booked for 3 weeks time which includes a long haul flight which im a little nervous about, thoughts please?

I went to NY when I was 10 weeks on my last pregnancy and had no issues. I drank tons of water and didn’t eat the airplane food (wouldn’t be mad about it in normal circumstances anyway). Took snacks onboard instead to keep me going and ate in the airport before hand.

bee06 wrote: »
    I went to NY when I was 10 weeks on my last pregnancy and had no issues. I drank tons of water and didn’t eat the airplane food (wouldn’t be mad about it in normal circumstances anyway). Took snacks onboard instead to keep me going and ate in the airport before hand.

Thanks for the reply, I have already done a return flight pregnant unbeknownst to us at the time. We had a family holiday to Spain. Just with the long haul I was a bit dubious. I don't blame you plane food is yuck!! We are flying to Las Vegas little over 10 hours, will definitely bring my own snacks onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Ssshhh1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I have already done a return flight pregnant unbeknownst to us at the time. We had a family holiday to Spain. Just with the long haul I was a bit dubious. I don't blame you plane food is yuck!! We are flying to Las Vegas little over 10 hours, will definitely bring my own snacks onboard.

Dropping in from nov thread. Flew to NYC at 15 weeks so just get compression socks and as Bee06 advises your own snacks are key! Otherwise enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Odette22Odile

Congrats everyone! I'm 6w 4 - just found out earlier in the week. This will be our first, and I am an absolute bag of nerves.

Every little twinge and every trip to the bathroom fills me with dread - I am desperately trying not too get so panicked, and am trying meditation and mindfulness but I don't really know how to stop worrying and just relax. I don't know how everyone else does it!

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    Dropping in from nov thread. Flew to NYC at 15 weeks so just get compression socks and as Bee06 advises your own snacks are key! Otherwise enjoy!!

I will be just 10 weeks when we go, feeling a bit more relaxed now thanks oh compression socks are a definete. We had an early scan done today made it all very real it was amazing to see the tiny heart beating away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ardgorm

Going by date of my last period I'm 7+5 weeks pregnant with my first but I think I'm probably a bit behind that with irregular periods.

I had a little bit of pink (blood?) When i wiped on Sunday it gave me a fright. Had slightly brown/pink discharge after that. I've had the feeling of period cramps on and off over the last few weeks but nothing severe so I'm hoping all is ok.

I'm going on holidays in a weeks time too I'm a bit nervous about that incase something happens over there. Definitely quite anxious the last few days.

Are any of you using a pregnancy app? I'm using pregnancy+ at the minute

Ardgorm wrote: »
    Going by date of my last period I'm 7+5 weeks pregnant with my first but I think I'm probably a bit behind that with irregular periods.

I had a little bit of pink (blood?) When i wiped on Sunday it gave me a fright. Had slightly brown/pink discharge after that. I've had the feeling of period cramps on and off over the last few weeks but nothing severe so I'm hoping all is ok.

I'm going on holidays in a weeks time too I'm a bit nervous about that incase something happens over there. Definitely quite anxious the last few days.

Congratulations Ardgorm!! I'm 7 weeks plus 4 so maybe only a couple of days between us. As I said in a previous comment I had already been on holiday before finding out, had an early scan on Sat and all is good. Doctor said next flight is fine to do also which put my mind at ease!

I know spotting can be quite common in early pregnancy, just mention this to your GP to reassure yourself I'm sure everything is fine.

I'm using the Flo app I used it before hand to track my period, now it's switched to pregnancy tracker.

So I was 8 weeks yesterday and I've just been to the GP to get the ball rolling. A 12 week scan was never mentioned. I thought it was standard?

Instead I was told I'll probably have my next appointment and first hospital visit at 20 weeks when they'll do an anomaly scan. Is this how it normally goes? It seems strange to me not to see a Dr. or be checked up on again til I'm halfway through the pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Summer4321

Uptheduff wrote: »
    So I was 8 weeks yesterday and I've just been to the GP to get the ball rolling. A 12 week scan was never mentioned. I thought it was standard?

Instead I was told I'll probably have my next appointment and first hospital visit at 20 weeks when they'll do an anomaly scan. Is this how it normally goes? It seems strange to me not to see a Dr. or be checked up on again til I'm halfway through the pregnancy.

I would check with the hospital yourself as reading here all hospitals are different. I’m with the rotunda (semi private) and a 12 week scan is included.

• Advertisement

Seems strange alright, maybe ring the hospital and check. I got my first appointment for 12 + 3

When I went to my doctor she told me that it's more normal these days to get the first scan between 16-20 weeks. I was shocked! I mean, you'd be showing by then :confused:

She gave me a letter to take to the hospital and told me to take it in myself instead of posting it as I'd get into the system quicker and maybe get an earlier appointment.
    I done this and then only the next day realised that my address was wrong on the letter. So I called the hospital and got a lovely lady on the line who said well as I have you on the phone now I may as well just book your apt now to save time and offered me 2 date choices, for either 12 or 13 weeks. I took the 12 week one (next Wednesday).

So either my doctor was wrong and you don't need to wait as long as 16-20 weeks, or I was just very, very lucky!

Anyway, my advice is maybe call them to check they rec'd your details (if they were posted) and then see if you can book an appt whilst on the phone? Worth a shot!
    And if you don't get one for a while, the private scans are worth every cent :)

My hospital is Drogheda by the way.

Ardgorm wrote: »

I had very strong 'period' cramps up until around week 9. I was convinced I was going to have a miscarriage.
    I'm 10+4 today and they've completely gone. My doctor said it's just your uterus stretching and preparing, all my friends that have had kids also said it's totally normal.

It’s depends on the hospital for how many times you get scanned. If I remember correctly there is one hospital in Dublin that doesn’t do a dating scan at 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

Not all hospitals do a 12 week scan as standard, I think it's down to resources, and a scan at around 20 weeks is important for checking for anomalies or problems which can't be seen at 12 weeks, so clinically it's more important.

Hospital I'm attending only does scan at 18-22 weeks, I can't wait that long so I'm getting early scan next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Chelle_C wrote: »
    When I went to my doctor she told me that it's more normal these days to get the first scan between 16-20 weeks. I was shocked! I mean, you'd be showing by then :confused:

She gave me a letter to take to the hospital and told me to take it in myself instead of posting it as I'd get into the system quicker and maybe get an earlier appointment.
    I done this and then only the next day realised that my address was wrong on the letter. So I called the hospital and got a lovely lady on the line who said well as I have you on the phone now I may as well just book your apt now to save time and offered me 2 date choices, for either 12 or 13 weeks. I took the 12 week one (next Wednesday).

So either my doctor was wrong and you don't need to wait as long as 16-20 weeks, or I was just very, very lucky!

Anyway, my advice is maybe call them to check they rec'd your details (if they were posted) and then see if you can book an appt whilst on the phone? Worth a shot!
    And if you don't get one for a while, the private scans are worth every cent :)

My hospital is Drogheda by the way.

I've had two babies in Drogheda and you always get a scan at your booking appointment. You get there, fill in paperwork, urine sample, speak to the nurse (w/o your partner as they use it as an opportunity to ask you if there is any issues in the relationship), then bloods and scan. Just be prepared to be there for a few hours. :)

I just had my second early scan (I'm 9 + 4) as the first one was very early. Lovely experience, amazing to see the shape of a proper little baby at this early stage!

The thing is no booking appointment was even mentioned. The next time I see a health professional for any reason will be at 20 weeks, that's what I was told.

I rang the hospital and was told the foetal assesment unit is closed at weekends so I'll ring on Monday. We are not comfortable leaving it that long to have the pregnancy properly assessed. I mean all the GP did was poke my stomach, take my blood pressure, and test my pee for infection, not exactly a thorough verification that everything's going ok so far.

The thing is no booking appointment was even mentioned. The next time I see a health professional for any reason will be at 20 weeks, that's what I was told.

I rang the hospital and was told the foetal assesment unit is closed at weekends so I'll ring on Monday. We are not comfortable leaving it that long to have the pregnancy properly assessed. I mean all the GP did was poke my stomach, take my blood pressure, and test my pee for infection, not exactly a thorough verification that everything's going ok so far.

Here is the schedule of appointments according to the leaflet I got for the maternity and infant scheme.

To be honest, the booking appointment isn’t much more than what the GP already did. They do take a very detailed history. Did your GP do your bloods.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    Here is the schedule of appointments according to the leaflet I got for the maternity and infant scheme.

To be honest, the booking appointment isn’t much more than what the GP already did. They do take a very detailed history. Did your GP do your bloods.

No my GP didnt take any blood. Thanks for the info. Looks like its not unusual for nothing to happen until 20 weeks :/ I had a different GP on my last pregnancy (same clinic though) and she was a lot more thorough. Im pretty sure there was an appointment scheduled for around 12 weeks. I miscarried before that though. I probably just want my hand held a bit more this time as a result.

Advertisement