Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Engineer for house sale inspection

• 23-07-2019 6:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, in the middle of buying a house. We have selected an engineer to complete an inspection. I’m sure his thoroughness cannot be faulted, but after getting a quote of 600 + vat, our solicitor is also having him to get a Planning and Development Search done which is being quoted at 500 + vat. So that’s about 1400 which is way more than we budgeted for.

I may be forced to look for an alternative engineer. Has anyone suggestions - I don’t want to name the current engineer. As I said, I’m sure they are well worth it but not sure can we afford that much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all, in the middle of buying a house. We have selected an engineer to complete an inspection. I’m sure his thoroughness cannot be faulted, but after getting a quote of 600 + vat, our solicitor is also having him to get a Planning and Development Search done which is being quoted at 500 + vat. So that’s about 1400 which is way more than we budgeted for.

I may be forced to look for an alternative engineer. Has anyone suggestions - I don’t want to name the current engineer. As I said, I’m sure they are well worth it but not sure can we afford that much.

i went with Declan Gileece. http://gilleece.info/ Very nice guy but cant remember how much he was. I priced around a few and he was reasonable for sure, much less than what you are being quoted.

The Planning and Development Search isnt necessary imo. Its just to see if there are any developments planned in your area. Like if there was a new road that was going to pass beside your house, or if something was going to built beside you. Where ever you are buying you prob have a fair idea yourself or you could always go to the Council and do it yourself if you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I used this guy for a Class 2 Survey on my house 2 months ago. He found stuff I'd never have even considered checking and stuff I had missed myself. Very comprehensive. Number is on the link, even when not signed into Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/TechnicalSolutions99/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I agree that a planning and development search is unnecessary. I used JJ McDonnell of Gileece McDonnell and O'Shaughnessy last year when buying my own home and the report he provided was very detailed and thorough particularly in regard to issues that may have to be dealt with in the medium term future. The charge was 440 euro - for a three bed terraced. They are based in Cypress House, Dooradoyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

damowill wrote: »
    i went with Declan Gileece. http://gilleece.info/ Very nice guy but cant remember how much he was. I priced around a few and he was reasonable for sure, much less than what you are being quoted.

The Planning and Development Search isnt necessary imo. Its just to see if there are any developments planned in your area. Like if there was a new road that was going to pass beside your house, or if something was going to built beside you. Where ever you are buying you prob have a fair idea yourself or you could always go to the Council and do it yourself if you wanted.

I've used him, average service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

On a similar note, any recommendations for a snagger on a new build?

• Advertisement
Advertisement