Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when no insurance company wants to insure you?

Options
  • 23-07-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

So today I called Carol Nash and they said they won't insure me because I'm not living in Ireland for at least three years... Liberty said because I haven't had the A for 5 years and they were a bit worried my license wasn't Irish but Spanish. Principal insurance wouldn't, because the bike stayed in the drive way, not in a garage...
    What should I do know? Try to insure it for less money than it's worth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

JaimeB wrote: »
    So today I called Carol Nash and they said they won't insure me because I'm not living in Ireland for at least three years... Liberty said because I haven't had the A for 5 years and they were a bit worried my license wasn't Irish but Spanish. Principal insurance wouldn't, because the bike stayed in the drive way, not in a garage...
    What should I do know? Try to insure it for less money than it's worth?

Exchange your license for an irish one, nothing you can do about a ncb as they don't transfer.
    What bike is it?
    You can get three refusal letters and submit them to the insurance board who will force one to give you a quote. While they will ensure it won't be a preventative quote they can't stop them charging you say 5k+
    You can't under insure your property not only does it defeat the purpose it's not exactly legal and could lead to lots of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Exchange your license for an irish one, nothing you can do about a ncb as they don't transfer.
    What bike is it?
    You can get three refusal letters and submit them to the insurance board who will force one to give you a quote. While they will ensure it won't be a preventative quote they can't stop them charging you say 5k+
    You can't under insure your property not only does it defeat the purpose it's not exactly legal and could lead to lots of problems.

I agree, get Irish licence sooner than later.

The DCA (Declined Cases Agreement procedure, see this post) ensures that the quote you get is not “excessive”. The DCA rules stipulate that while the premium may be high, it cannot be “excessive” as that would be tantamount to a refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Mjolnir wrote: »
    What bike is it?

Thanks guys. I guess I will get the Irish license but what a joke, it's Europe, it is supposed to be the same thing... One of the insurers told me that unless I have the bike on property the refusal letter will be of no use to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

What bike are you trying to get Insured on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks guys. I guess I will get the Irish license but what a joke, it's Europe, it is supposed to be the same thing... One of the insurers told me that unless I have the bike on property the refusal letter will be of no use to me...

There is no such thing as an 'EU' licence. What there is, is an EU- recognised licence, as issued by an EU member state.

The rule is quite simple: you're required to hold a licence issued from the State you normally reside in.

Spain is in the EU too, and I'd have to surrender my Irish one there, so I don't see your point....... https://www.expatica.com/es/living/transportation/eu-regulations-drivers-license-473563/

If anything, Ireland is the most lax of all the jurisdictions on the issue.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Change your licence and based on my experience, for a newbie here Liberty will be the best option anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 35,065 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you're prepared to risk a third party only policy (no theft or damage cover) then it doesn't matter if the bike is garaged or not. Depending on the value of the bike and where you live, could be worth it to get that vital first year's no claims bonus.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

galwaytt wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an 'EU' licence. What there is, is an EU- recognised licence, as issued by an EU member state.

The rule is quite simple: you're required to hold a licence issued from the State you normally reside in.

Spain is in the EU too, and I'd have to surrender my Irish one there, so I don't see your point....... https://www.expatica.com/es/living/transportation/eu-regulations-drivers-license-473563/

If anything, Ireland is the most lax of all the jurisdictions on the issue.

I read the article, and it's not that you have to surrender your license, but they won't take permenant licenses. In Spain you have to renew it every X years, so they make people with permanent licenses to renew them. I just think licenses should be standardized across EU.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Licences have been ever more standardised over the years.

Member States can apply certain rules to other MS licences.

MSs had two options under 2DLD and Ireland stuck with the old laminated bit of card at the time and the UK went plastic credit card sized. The 3DLD meant all MSs new issues were plastic credit card sized, with chip option. You can see this chip option being mandatory down the line.

All the "old style" MS varieties (over 110) will have to be replaced by 2033 anyway.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-recognition-validity/index_en.htm

Well, license changed, and still they don't want to insure me, no because they will not accept a community parking (gated, just for residents) just garage which I don't have. So now effectively no company will insure it. Has anyone been in this position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I've not been in the position of being refused.
    I was able to transfer my NCB from another country and get insurance for my bike that was on the driveway ungaraged.

Insurance companies do seem to be getting worse and worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

What bike is it

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Well, license changed, and still they don't want to insure me, no because they will not accept a community parking (gated, just for residents) just garage which I don't have. So now effectively no company will insure it. Has anyone been in this position?

Most lads would just tell them it's garaged, and if it gets stolen then they would say it was stolen elsewhere, now
    I'd never suggest You do that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If the issue is around it being garaged, see if a fitted alarm and a gps will help get a quote. Approved locks and anchors might help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,065 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We're being strung along yet again lads, OP ignores all useful suggestions and won't answer any reasonable questions.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Op hasn't been online since he posted yesterday. He's not as active as others on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

We're being strung along yet again lads, OP ignores all useful suggestions and won't answer any reasonable questions.

I was going to call this ;)

Lads, the OP has a track record of these threads. Check out his history.

Advertisement