Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career break for CID in ETB

Options
  • 23-07-2019 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

I have an CID in one of the ETB’s.

What are the career break rules? When is the soonest I can take an career break, when do I have to apply, for how long can the career break be etc?

Also, my contract is for 15 hours/week. Can my career break be for 10 of those hours (and I keep working the remaining 5)?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You generally must apply for career break in Q1 and you get a decision by Mar or Apr. It's all or nothing, what you're referring to is a job share type of arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Is there currently any redundancy packages for people on CIDs leaving the system?

Or any other way of dropping my hours from 15 to 5 (this might allow me to work one day per week). Someone had previously mentioned that there would be a possibility of job sharing to do this?

I feel like I need to leave my post or cut down on hours. I had a very difficult time last year (bullying stress and depression) and have been dreading going back to work since the first day of my holidays last June.

Is there currently any redundancy packages for people on CIDs leaving the system?

Or any other way of dropping my hours from 15 to 5 (this might allow me to work one day per week). Someone had previously mentioned that there would be a possibility of job sharing to do this?

I feel like I need to leave my post or cut down on hours. I had a very difficult time last year (bullying stress and depression) and have been dreading going back to work since the first day of my holidays last June.

To be honest, I never heard of any other mechanism to reduce hours except if ETB does it through compassionate reasons but that's very rare. Redundancy isn't possible as you must see a reduction in hours due to the school and then you'd be redeployed in the school.
    If you have issues in the school, you should follow etb procedures on bullying etc.

Is there any possibility of applying for career break now and getting it immediately? Even on compassionate or health grounds?

I really doubt it. It would want to be extreme family tragedy etc.
    If it's health grounds, your Doc will issue you with relevant certs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

A little off topic but have you made any formal complaints about the bullying? Its awful that's happened to you and you shouldn't have to deal with it. Have you spoken to anyone in the ETB about this?

A little off topic but have you made any formal complaints about the bullying? Its awful that's happened to you and you shouldn't have to deal with it. Have you spoken to anyone in the ETB about this?

The bullying is not going to stop. I’ve spoken to the union and there is little they can do as it’s a very clever form of exclusion and bullying. I won’t say any more here just in case.

I can’t go back. I’m in a panic just thinking about it.

How much notice do I have to give or can I just leave?

Can I go back for a few months ... say sept and oct to see if things improve ... and then leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's one month's notice in the ETB, but they often accept less. You can leave at any stage of the year. If the stress is making you sick speak to your doctor too.

Advertisement