Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas switch on the wall is left on after cooking

Options
  • 23-07-2019 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My housemate is recently being irresponsible (or needs attention) so she is leaving the gas switch on the kitchen wall on after her cooking. The hobs are all turned off though. Could this be dangerous or costing additional bill? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Cessee wrote: »
    My housemate is recently being irresponsible (or needs attention) so she is leaving the gas switch on the kitchen wall on after her cooking. The hobs are all turned off though. Could this be dangerous or costing additional bill? Thanks!

Photo of the switch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cessee

kramer1 wrote: »
    Photo of the switch ?

Its the red switch at the top left. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Its the red switch at the top left. Thank you!

You're overreacting...

kramer1 wrote: »
    Photo of the switch ?

Im actually thinking that gas could be leaking a bit and we are inhaling it, on top of safety and bills question.

Thanks a mil!

grogi wrote: »
    You're overreacting...

Ok. I honestly dont know so I asked. Thanks for confirming. Now i could happily ignore ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's no a gas hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Im actually thinking that gas could be leaking a bit and we are inhaling it, on top of safety and bills question.

Thanks a mil!

Yeah. It's affecting your brain function. I'd ring the landlord and tell him you are moving out for your own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

If you think the gas is leaking just light a match close to the leak and you will soon have your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's an electrical isolator switch. Has zero to do with regulating gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

You definitely work in Facebook

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Thats a bog standard power switch for the oven, nothing to do with the gas.

EDIT: Its not even a gas oven, is it?

My landlord said that the hob/ oven below the induction hob and house heating are powered by gas so I assumed that the switch is gas switch. We switch on that red thing when we cook in the induction hob.

You definitely work in Facebook

You are definitely wrong and your comment is not helpful at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My landlord said that the hob/ oven below the induction hob and house heating are powered by gas so I assumed that the switch is gas switch. We switch on that red thing when we cook in the induction hob.

Induction hob is 100% electric. Zilch to do with gas.

If you think the gas is leaking just light a match close to the leak and you will soon have your answer

Not sure if that s safe... I preferred to post a question here and hoping that someone knowledgeable would give a serious and helpful answer.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Induction hob is 100% electric. Zilch to do with gas.

Okay, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thanks OP, I'm in stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

As a Registered Gas Installer I can categorically confirm that it is Not a Gas Switch..

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's an electrical isolator switch. Has zero to do with regulating gas.

Thanks. I honestly dont know what the red switch is and cant find the right query to put in google to research. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Can you post a picture of the oven with doors open , that will end the smart answers and soon be able to tell you if it's gas or not.
    Plus you would smell gas very quickly even if it's the tiny of leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Gas thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mother of jaysus

Can you post a picture of the controls on the oven, to see what it is for certain.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of the oven with doors open , that will end the smart answers and soon be able to tell you if it's gas or not.
    Plus you would smell gas very quickly even if it's the tiny of leaks.

You would be astonished at how many don't smell the gas leaking.

Yeah. It's affecting your brain function. I'd ring the landlord and tell him you are moving out for your own safety.

So much positivity in you, it shows

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So much positivity in you, it shows

I'm just worried for your safety.

Did you take a picture of the controls for the oven so I can go to bed?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    As a Registered Gas Installer I can categorically confirm that it is Not a Gas Switch..

Thanks, thats helpful!

Thanks for all helpful answers - I appreciate it! And sorry if i have incorrectly posted in this category.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of the controls on the oven, to see what it is for certain.

Here you go - appreciate your comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Mother of jaysus

We could solve a lot of the worlds problems by removing the safety labels from everything couldn't we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

You are obviously averse to the fumes from oven cleaners too!

Advertisement