Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie 2019 Draft Game 5 - KBurke85 v Trigger

• 23-07-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭

This is the thread for KBurke85 v Trigger

If you want to use a site to set your side out these are good:

https://this11.com/#!/editor/

https://www.buildlineup.com/

Each poster can go as in detail as you wish in your write-ups including set up for your own side. Once the two posters have set out their teams they are allowed one post each to explain their gameplan against their opposition (exposing the other team's weakness or to draw attention to a player they think doesn't work in the other team etc).

I would ask people to hold off casting votes until both posters have submitted their teams.

If one team does not set put their side/tactics inside a 24hr period they will automatically forfeit the tie.

Each poster who votes must give some kind of reason in the thread as to why they voted one way or another to have their vote in the poll counted. This is in the interest of fairness and to discourage voting because you like/dislike a certain poster and to encourage voting for a set of players/ tactical approach instead.

Good luck to both posters.

Who wins? 8 votes

KBurke85
    0%
    Trigger
    100%
    SeamusAFAxtal191redzerdrogFrisbeeSM01duffman13Ferris_Buellerdr.kenneth noisewater 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

My Picks

UQsTl1M.png

Goalkeeper

My Goalkeeper Ederson is probably a pick that will be contentious due to the amount of time he has played in the league, but he is a very good goalkeeper who has great shot-stopping ability and is comfortable under the high ball. He is also well able to command his area. My main reason for selecting him though is his use of the ball, and his ability to move the ball to anywhere on the pitch, quickly and accurately.

Defence

I used my first pick to select imo the best centre back to play in the Premier League, while everyone else was selecting Forwards and attackers, they are in abundance and I had my mind on the set up and style I wanted my team to play. Rio Ferdinand is fundamental to that set up. A player that is as good on the ball as he is in the air and his timing and positioning were unbelievable. He also has the pace to match or stay with any attacker. I also think that my second CB Per Mertasecker will compliment him greatly.

On either side of them we will see two fullbacks Gabriel Heinze and Paulo Zabaleta with the ability to attack quickly but also get back and defend when needed, they are both comfortable on the ball which will tie in with my style of play and good crossers also. Both fullbacks have great engines and will run for the entire game.

Midfield & Attack

I don’t think there is a better player since Roy Keane in his prime with the ability to break up play but also being able to dictate the flow of the game and link defence to attack than Fernadinho and he will be my main midfielder who will move the ball on to my attack and he will be flanked by my captain Denis Wise who is an old school defensive midfielder but also has the ability to pick a pass and recycle possession quickly and accurately to my front 4.

Ahead of them we will have Denis Bergkamp in the middle who will be the chief creator but has the ability to push up and play on the shoulders of the defence, when this happens my RAM Christian Erikksen will be able to take up the position in behind and allow for the fullback to push up. On the other side Harry Kewell is there to do what he does best, running at the fullback, he has the ability to go inside or outside the defenders which will keep them guessing and has a very good shot, so an alternative option there also. All three of these players are extremely comfortable on the ball and have now trouble passing the ball around in tight areas.

Which leaves me with the natural goalscorer in Andy Cole who is a player who can score with both feet, is good in the air and can counter attack at pace. He has an incredible knack of making space for himself which will benefit the players behind him also.

Style of play

UnN8Hvd.png

My attacking play will focus on a possession based game and I think my team is well set up for this with technically gifted players throughout the field, Players like Ederson, Ferdinand and Fernadinho will allow for quick transitions to get the balls up to the front 4 who will be aided by overlapping fullbacks, the players also have the ability to pass around any pressing that the opposition may try. Wise will sit back and aid the centre backs and break up any counter attacks and the pace of Ferdinand will help here too.

iOvsI3o.png

Without the ball my team will set up like above with Erikksen becoming a third midfielder and a bank of three in front of my back 4 with the front three pressing when needed. My team has a lot of ball winners and This set up will ensure that the opposition cannot commit too many players forward as with pace of Cole and Kewell staying up high will leave them open to quick counter attacks especially with the passing ability behind them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Trigger
    Someones already voted and both teams haven't been posted! Jaysis :D

duffman13 wrote: »

It was probably Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It was SM01.

I won't count it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think click to edit is a real weak point in Triggers team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Trigger
    duffman13 wrote: »

Yeah that was me. Sorry. I've not really paid much attention to these games until now and overzealous curiosity to find out more resulted click. I've no affinity or link with either of the two people playing so disregard please. Mea Culpa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5d3816bb138c092e24add2e5

IpOpQkHl.png

Sorry everyone up to my eyes with work so can't go into to much detail.

I'm playing a 4231 system with McAllister supporting the attack in possession and supporting Makelele and the defence when out of position. I'd encourage both full back to support the attack but if when goes at a time the other would stay near half way so as not to be over run on the counter. I feel my attacking options could make considerable chances for Shearer and Salah would no doubt get on the end of a view chances.

If people want to keep it simple and go on what on paper looks like the strongest team I feel I may have a chance if people are are into more in depth tactical votes then so be it.
    Best of Luck to both teams

I'm out for the day so wont be able to go into too much detail here but my observations of KBurkes team

I think there his weakness would be down his right hand side and I would expect Heinze and Kewell to see a lot of the ball down there.

I think my defensive set up up would smother his attack and make it difficult to create chances as the likes of Coutinho and Salah thrive on space and they wont be allowed that here.

I would expect Bergkamp erikksen and Cole to get the better of Makelle and his CB's. I would ask them in particular to target them on the ground as they can both be slow on the turn.

I think the key to winning this game is to keep the ball on the ground, and using Cole and Kewell to get in behind, Bergkamp is no slouch there too, as if my team was to start crossing the his CB would mop them up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Trigger
    KBurke team, really strong forward line although Young is only ok imo. good full backs and solid CB pairing but Hart is a liability. Never understood the hype over him and he's a real weak link. CM should give good defensive cover and Young will help back a lot in fairness.
    Trigger team, good defence. Was always a big fan of Zabaleta and Heinze so they were 2 good picks along with Ferdinand. Mert is good to have in against sherear for set pieces as well. Wise wont add much to midfield and feels unnecessary with Fernandinho there to cover. I think Eriksen in his place and a proper RM would have worked better. Think the Cole and Bergkamp pairing could work well.

Think KBurke just has too much in attack so he edges this one. Really tough one this, could be the tightest so far

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I think click to edit is a real weak point in Triggers team.

Ederson has gone to get the towels :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm going to go for trigger here.

I think player for player both teams are pretty well matched up but for me trigger has gone into a lot of work preparing his team and instructions on how they will play and so on its more clear as to how he wants them targets the opposition.

I know some people will be busy ect and that's fine but we have to judge fairly on what's put in front of us and for me that's Triggers team and game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

This is a really tight one.

I think Salah is going to struggle to have the impact in this game that he has at Liverpool. This is partly because I think for him to be a really effect goal-scoring wide forward (or for anyone to be a 20+ goal a season player from a starting wide position), you need to have a false 9 or at least a 9-and-a-half playing the central role. While Shearer is the best pure 9 in this draft, I don't think he's either of these things.

Then the fact that you have Heinze who is strong defensively, and Ferdinand on the left side of defence here (where he is used to playing despite being right-footed), you have really strong defenders whether he stays wide or comes inside. So I think Salah struggles here.

Zabaleta is a strong full back so Young will find it tough to get the better of him. So Shearer is going to find service hard to come by. Mertesacker is the real weak link in Trigger's defence, particularly his lack of pace, but I don't see it getting exploited here based on the attack set up he's facing. Wise and Fernandinho provide strong cover in front so I'm not sure I see Coutinho getting a lot of joy in between the lines.

So this is where I would see Trigger's defence snuffing out KBurke's attack.

Neither midfield for me can be hugely creative from deeper positions, and more so rely on 10s further up the pitch. I'm not sure who wins this midfield battle and helps dominate the game - but both midfields provide good protection.

Erikson is going to find things tough against Irwin but is always capable of creating chances. Kewell might have the beating of Carr. Two good centre-backs for KBurke, but maybe not a lot of pace there, and you have Makelele to snuff out the creativity of Bergkamp.

Overall though I think there might be some more chances there for Trigger with a but more creativity across the front areas and better possibility to win some of the individual match-ups in attack vs defence.

So I will go for a narrow win for Trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Trigger
    Tricky one, I think Trigger has the better team overall but KBurkes team will stand up to him in certain areas, I think he has strong defensive full backs and Makelele holding which will make it very difficult for Shearer, Bergkamp & the wingers. I am also definitely not a fan of Eriksen playing wide right and think this would be a huge liability in the game and can't see him having much joy against Irwin. On the other hand, KBurkes team will also struggle going forward when Wise and Fernandinho are both holding the centre, Coutinho will struggle to find space you would have to think. Really tough game to call. I think ultimately KBurkes team will get the win as he has more players likely to produce a moment of magic IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Trigger
    Although I agree with morz assessment that kburkes formation doesn't get the best out of his big players or shearer and Salah I still think his team has enough to edge this.

I would feel like eriksen is playing out of position as a RW for Triggers team and although a solid side you need your best players in there natural positions to get the best from them.

I see this being a low scoring 1-0 win to kburke

As stated in my opening post Erikksen is playing as he does for spurs as a right Attacking midfielder, he is in no way a right winger

He plays the exact position for Spurs with Alli centre and Son left so he is hardly out of position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very tough one to call.

Hart has declined, but he showed enough in his Birmingham loan spell and early City days to where I don't think he'd be a weak link.

The midfield battle would be very even I reckon, and I think both teams are strong on the flanks. Young likewise gets a bad rep these days but at his peak he'll cause issues, but Zabaleta is a good counter. Salah is tough to contain but if anyone could limit him it could well be Heinze and Ferdinand.

I think both sides would get on the scoresheet as each man's strikers are top class. For me though the Bergkamp factor is significant and I can see him setting up Cole a good few times. I think that his influence would result in a 2-1 hard-fought win for Trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Trigger
    Trigger wrote: »
    As stated in my opening post Erikksen is playing as he does for spurs as a right Attacking midfielder, he is in no way a right winger

He plays the exact position for Spurs with Alli centre and Son left so he is hardly out of position

I know he has played in that position for Spurs but don't think his peak form comes in that position. Spurs played a myriad of midfield formation and eriksen has played CM, AM, RAM and RW however I would feel he is better utilized centrally and think that is where you get the best out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Some thoughts.

- I'm another a little unsure of Eriksons placement, but my concern is how it works with Bergkamp because he is very different to a Dele Ali. If Bergkamp is playing deeper does that suit him best? If he is pushed further up will that impact on Erikson?
    - As stated before I don't consider Click to edit a great, not yet. He suits Pep and that City side but does he suit this team right here? Nobody can tell.
    - Mertesacker should not be anywhere near this draft, far too limited. On the other hand he is surrounded by 3 great defenders and 2 good defensive midfielders so in this game he might get away with things.

On the other side:
    - Ashley Young's goals and assists record at United is desperate, I hope he is not being relied upon to score goals here.
    - I'm also unsure of how Salah gels with Shearer? Two fantastic players that played in very different setups. Shearer played with out and out wingers like Ripley and Wilcox, whereas Salah is a goalscorer who probably needs Shearer to get out of his way to an extent. So who is that attack set up to get the best out of? I'm sure they will work it out but they are up against a very strong side defensively, will they work it out in time?
    - McAllister was a Rolls Royce, he would work very well with Coutinho and Makelele I think.
    - Denis Irwin a top drawer full back and Carr is solid but I don't much like the rest of them. Nope to Daniel Agger, Hypia was fine but overrated, and Joe Hart another I wouldn't have near a draft, there is a reason he can barely get a game despite still being so young for a keeper.

If this was real life I wouldn't go near this match for a bet, very hard to call so would just come down to the day itself. I have to choose though, and while Kburke has the better attack I think Triggers defence (and defensive setup) will be able to stop them, whereas I'm not so sure the reverse is true.

Erikson will ping in a long shot, Hart will palm it down in front of him and Cole will bury it to give Trigger the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I'll go with Trigger here. Salah and Shearer both great players but not suited to playing together I feel. Salah thrives playing as an Inside forward and Shearer spent his career playing with wingers who hugged the touchline. Not a fan of Agger at all either and think Bergkamp and Cole should link up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Was this not a draw one of the votes was void?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

More then one was void because people didn't explain.

That vote was for Kburke anyways, but only votes with posts count so ended 5-3 to me.

Good game KBurke, I thought you had me beat.

Advertisement