Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie 2019 Draft Game 6 - Ferris_Bueller v duffman13

• 23-07-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭

This is the thread for Ferris_Bueller v duffman13

If you want to use a site to set your side out these are good:

https://this11.com/#!/editor/

https://www.buildlineup.com/

Each poster can go as in detail as you wish in your write-ups including set up for your own side. Once the two posters have set out their teams they are allowed one post each to explain their gameplan against their opposition (exposing the other team's weakness or to draw attention to a player they think doesn't work in the other team etc).

I would ask people to hold off casting votes until both posters have submitted their teams.

If one team does not set put their side/tactics inside a 24hr period they will automatically forfeit the tie.

Each poster who votes must give some kind of reason in the thread as to why they voted one way or another to have their vote in the poll counted. This is in the interest of fairness and to discourage voting because you like/dislike a certain poster and to encourage voting for a set of players/ tactical approach instead.

Good luck to both posters.

Who wins? 14 votes

Ferris_Bueller
    0%
    duffman13
    100%
    SeamusAFAMr.Nice Guyxtal191redzerdroggenericgoonMorzadecFerris_BuellerTriggerdr.kenneth noisewaterbucketybuckLucas HoodBlue giantnormanoffsideOwl. 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Right I am going to post mine here and then someone else can put it into the match thread because otherwise I am going to hold the whole thing up.

0mXe2gV.png

When I started the draft I’ll admit I did not have much of an idea what kind of team I would select or even what shape or system they would play, however once Gerrard was chosen as my first pick it was always going to have to be set up to accommodate him at his prime. The way I ended up going with my team is very similar to the peak Benitez era Liverpool team.

Defence
    At the back I have four very solid defenders, two of whom I’d say are up there with the very best in their positions in Vidic and Ivanovic. Vidic and Vermaelen should partner each other well at the back, both were leaders on the pitch and will compliment each other in the sense that Vidic will be the aggressive defender who will attack aerial balls and close down the opposition whilst Vermaelen will sit off and read the game more, he is also well capable of playing out from the back when necessary, although my team is not intended to be a tiki-taka possession based team. Ivanovic is an incredible right back, defensively he is possibly the best there has ever been in the league and he had a great engine to get forward if not the most cumbersome. Le Saux is a premier league winner and has a very successful and long career at the top level, he will primarily stick to defensive duties and prohibit crosses from Solano. Vidic, Ivanovic and Vermaelen are all big threats from set pieces too and have good goalscoring records for defenders. Of course these are all propped up by Courtois in goals, who at his peak was a world class goalkeeper for Chelsea and won two league titles with them and a golden glove along the way. He is a complete goalkeeper who has no obvious weakness and was great at commanding his area which will be important in this match as I presume getting the ball into Kane will be one of duffmans main threats.

Midfield
    The midfield is where I think I will win this game and I think when comparing my midfield to duffmans there is a significant gap in quality. Kante is the best (himself or Makelele) holding midfielder the league has seen, he will do what he does best and sit deep, be aggressive, win the ball and make a lot of interceptions before giving it off to more creative players. His sheer athleticism alone will keep Le Tissier in his pocket, who has a lot of talent but there has to be question marks about him performing at the very very top level, there is a reason he only has 8 caps for England. Gerrard then is this teams obvious talisman, he will play fairly high up the pitch in support of Wright similar to himself and Torres of that Benitez/Liverpool team. Not many teams could handle Gerrard during this period and he is such a threat for both scoring and creating goals, he will be given a bit of a free role where he can roam and pick up threatening positions but won’t have to worry too much about the defensive side of the game with the two men behind him. Arteta I think was a shrewd pick as he knits it altogether, as I said my team won’t be relying heavily on holding onto the ball at all costs but he can dictate the tempo of a game, will seek for the ball off my defensive players and be able to supply my forward players such as Gerrard, Wright, Ljungberg and Son.

Forwards
    Ljungberg and Son will have a lot of joy against Coleman and Harte I would think. They are both extremely good at making runs into the box and having Gerrard/Arteta hitting through balls for them to get onto and in behind Harte/Coleman will bring a lot of joy for my side IMO. They are quick and strong wingers with an eye for goal and the knack of popping up in the box at the right time, this was something the Liverpool team of that era was missing big time, and I think if they had wingers of this quality they would have comfortably won a few league titles. In Ian Wright then I have a clinical striker who has notched over 100 premier league goals for Arsenal and broke 30 goals in all comps in 4 out of 5 seasons. He could score every type of goal, had pace and had good link up play and I intend for Gerrard to play quite high up to him so he is not left isolated.

Opposition
    I think Duffman has a good team but his full backs will struggle against my wingers and I think my midfield is far better. Harte is a liability at left back and I think Ljungberg will cause havoc down that side of the pitch getting in behind him and Ivanovic offering support when necessary. Defensively I think Kante will have Le Tiss in his pocket, my two centre halves should be well capable of dealing with Harry Kane as he is not explicitly quick, I don’t see where his teams goals are going to come from really as a lot of the players in the support positions (Solano, Le Tissier, Ramires, even McManaman to a certain extent) are not of the highest quality. Vieira will have a big job on his hands trying to stop Gerrard and if he spends the game trying to stop Gerrard it’s one of duffmans best players tied up for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

4wQ8BwG.png

The nature of my picks were players who were hard working and had a positive impact in a high work rate team. Players who were excellent for periods of time and had a high impact for their teams.

From the back out, I have Schmeichel marshalling an excellent duo of King and Gallas. Both players are brilliant one v one defenders and also exceptional positionally. Coleman and Harte were both picked for their impact at both ends, Two players who feature high on the list for goal scoring and assists and can get on the overlap. Hartes pace might be an issue if you look at his later career but hes positionally sound and chips in with goals and assists from both deadball and long range.

Midfield is again a hard working machine with Vieira and Ramires both having a huge engine and being genuine box to box midfielders to provide some solidity along with an attacking threat. Solano and McManaman provide genuine width along with creativity. Solano in particular I always feel was underrated.

Looking at Le Tissier, yeah he isnt the most high energy footballer but a genuine Maverick and someone in a team of this talent I feel will get the team ticking. Playing for relegation fodder, year after year he was consistently pivotal in keeping them up with a great goal return and excellent eye for a pass.

Forward
    Harry Kane, a player with great movement and amazing ability to get in the right place at the right time. If he stays in England he will break Shearers record for sure IMO. He is handful for most defenses and has shown he can score against the best defenses while playing as a lone striker.

Looking Ferris team, hes got some good players and a pretty decent set up. I honestly think he lacks a little going forward and I think my back two would mop up anything throw the middle. He has decent wingers but I feel his full backs negate his attacking threat a little as I dont see too many overlaps and even if there was ive two wingers particularly Solano who will continue to track back. He has Kante who I rate hugely in the CDM role however I feel Vermaelen might be a big of a week link. I feel I have a slightly more solid spine.

Also my first draft, I have enjoyed it immensely and hope there will be a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

duffman13
    I really like the set up of ferris team.

As far as two man midfield Kante and Arteta are well balanced. Viera/ramires on the other side is very strong so not much in this.

Defence i think Duffman has the edge here and I think there may be a lack of pace in Ferris defence. However Duffman doesnt particularly exploint this with Kane and le tiss

Front 4 I think Ferris takes this comfortably.

A comfortable 2-0 win for ferris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

duffman13
    Ferris wins this for me. Duffman lacks a threat in behind I feel and Le Tissier won't find much room on the ball with Kante around. I think this forces them to rely on crosses and Vidic in particular will be more than comfortable with balls being delivered into the box. King and Gallas are two very good cbs but I think Son and Ljungberg both make good intelligent runs and Harte in particular could be suspect defensively. Ferris has a very strong backline with one of the all time great cbs in Vidic and Vermaelen was a good defender who could play as well. I think Arteta is a nice pick in midfield and complements Kante and Gerrard nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

duffman13
    Ferris team, Strong right side of defence and GK but I'd be worried about the left side. I like the 3 in the middle, kante should complement Gerrard brilliantly. Really good front 3 as well with Son and Freddie helping back and working their socks off you'd imagine.

Duffman team, better defence overall but Harte could be a real weak spot. Viera and Gerrard would be a great battle but feel he'd get over powered eventually as Le Tiss wouldnt be enough help so its 3v2 in CM most the time. McManaman could cause real issues on the right and Kane will cause issues for whoever he's against. 

I just think Le Tiss is too much of a luxury player in there lacking the pace and work rate required against Ferris team so I'll go with Ferris in this game. The more I looked at Ferris team the better it got, the midfield and forwards are very well balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

duffman13
    Ferris has good balance throughout the team - Duffman could have a chance if Le Tiss comes up with something special or Schmeichel has a big game.

Overall however, I just feel there's no obvious weakness in Feriss' team, with a nicely balanced CB paring (with Vidic being the standout of course), good full backs and Kante there to protect. I think that could be enough to snuff out the opposition attack.

Midfield battle would be interesting - Viera you'd expect to dominate and you have another hard runnerin Ramires beside him. I do think that Ferris has a nice balance here with a destroyer, a playmaker and the dynamism of Gerrard.

I think this could be a low scoring affair compared to other matches, but maybe a 1-0 win for Ferris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

duffman13
    Surprised at this poll's current status as this is a close contest for me. I think both players have crafted great defences, aided by a very strong central midfield. I can see the attacking players finding it difficult to find too many chances.

I find myself thinking Ljungberg would be the difference maker in the match as I think he'd have the edge running at Harte. For that reason I'd give the nod to Ferris. I'd be thinking a close 1-0 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

duffman13
    Some thoughts:

- Anybody remember who Le Tisser played up front with at Southampton? Me neither. He was a genius who can come up with magic goals but he is also the type to just do his own thing so how is that going to work with the players around him? I worry about that creative centre of the field, McManaman won't be hugging the touchline or anything and Viera will be pushing forward, but relying on Le Tisser to knit it all together is very risky indeed.
    - Schmeichel, King and Gallas might well be the strongest defensive trio in the draft, Coleman is solid but inevitably Harte and his pace is jumping out as a weakness. He might get away with here though, Ljunberg is no Kanchelskis.

On the other side:
    - Kante, Arteta and Gerrard complement each other well, Son and Ljunberg are also two very good players, but... I do wonder if there are too many similar players there? Will Gerrard drift right and step on Ljunbergs toes? Is Son giving the exact same strong running game that the other two are? I can't help but think a bit of variety might have suited better, perhaps a different type of winger on one side?
    - The defence is very strong with the exception of Vermaelen. Just another somebody I didn't particularly rate.

Who is going to win? Toss a coin, to be honest. My gut says that Le Tissier is a problem and that he won't live with Viera and Ramires in his face. But Le Tissiers gut says that he could do nothing all game and then out of nowhere stick the ball in the top corner. Still though, I have concerns about Duffmans attack making it all work so on that basis I vote for Ferris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

duffman13
    I don't think Ramies as defensive midfielder works he was more box to box ,often played on the right of midfield. So I don't think that partnership works well.

Solano was a good player but not a great player so I don't know if he fits in here.

I like Ferris Midfield much better so give him then win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

duffman13
    A close match again in this one but I think Ferris defence makes it hard for Duffmans forwards to do anything, I'd expect Ferris to have that moment of magic to take a hard fought 1 nil win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement